Philosophy will clip an angel's wings. -- John Keats

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Gavin Newsom's California

SubjectAuthor
* Gavin Newsom's CaliforniaBTR1701
+- Re: Gavin Newsom's Californiatrotsky
`* Re: Gavin Newsom's CaliforniaUbiquitous
 `* Re: Gavin Newsom's CaliforniaBTR1701
  +* Re: Gavin Newsom's CaliforniaUbiquitous
  |`* Re: Gavin Newsom's CaliforniaBTR1701
  | `* Re: Gavin Newsom's CaliforniaUbiquitous
  |  `- Re: Gavin Newsom's CaliforniaA Friend
  `* Re: Gavin Newsom's Californiaanim8rfsk
   +* Re: Gavin Newsom's CaliforniaAdam H. Kerman
   |`- Re: Gavin Newsom's Californiaanim8rfsk
   +- Re: Gavin Newsom's CaliforniaBTR1701
   `* Re: Gavin Newsom's CaliforniaA Friend
    +- Re: Gavin Newsom's CaliforniaBTR1701
    +* Re: Gavin Newsom's CaliforniaAdam H. Kerman
    |`- Re: Gavin Newsom's CaliforniaA Friend
    `- Re: Gavin Newsom's Californiasuzeeq

1
Gavin Newsom's California

<Vl2dnS3uFeyvg8b-nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=162593&group=rec.arts.tv#162593

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Gavin Newsom's California
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 00:11:30 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 28 Oct 2022 00:11 UTC

And Newsom thinks he's gonna be president some day. The opposition's campaign
commercials write themselves.

Woman Wielding a Pick-Axe Smashes Her Way Into Residential Home

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1585465816182534144/pu/vid/828x466/ZZXJb0_D6WNxrcCj.mp4?tag=14

"The homeowner said it made him feel helpless."

Well, buddy, you wouldn't have felt helpless if you’d had a Colt Socom II AR
on hand. Or even a handy SIG pistol. Either would have made quick work of the
pick-axe bitch.

"She reportedly is suffering from mental illness."

Yeah, and if she'd tried that on my house, she'd have also been suffering from
multiple lead injections, applied liberally across the torso.

Re: Gavin Newsom's California

<tjg87f$at4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=162610&group=rec.arts.tv#162610

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Gavin Newsom's California
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 04:43:12 -0500
 by: trotsky - Fri, 28 Oct 2022 09:43 UTC

On 10/27/2022 7:11 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> And Newsom thinks he's gonna be president some day. The opposition's campaign
> commercials write themselves.
>
> Woman Wielding a Pick-Axe Smashes Her Way Into Residential Home
>

> https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1585465816182534144/pu/vid/828x466/ZZXJb0_D6WNxrcCj.mp4?tag=14
>
> "The homeowner said it made him feel helpless."
>
> Well, buddy, you wouldn't have felt helpless if you’d had a Colt Socom II AR
> on hand. Or even a handy SIG pistol. Either would have made quick work of the
> pick-axe bitch.
>
> "She reportedly is suffering from mental illness."
>
> Yeah, and if she'd tried that on my house, she'd have also been suffering from
> multiple lead injections, applied liberally across the torso.

I love this mentality. "Hi, I'm Eunuch Derp, and if some attacks my
home and kill them a lot. However, if someone attacks my anonyshit
status verbally I will head for the hills and then attack "Mickey
Dupree" for behaving exactly like me. Ain't it cool?"

You seem to have some measure of intelligence yet are perpetually
ignorant of how little self awareness you have. Luckily your fellow
Oath Keepers aren't much different.

Re: Gavin Newsom's California

<tktkc9$1pb7n$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164692&group=rec.arts.tv#164692

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 04:43:36 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 09:43 UTC

BTR wrote:

> And Newsom thinks he's gonna be president some day.

The Hill published a possible plan that could propel California Governor
Gavin Newsom (D) directly to the presidency, passing by Vice President Kamala
Harris, without it ever coming to a vote before the American people.

The plan was outlined by former Pentagon and White House official Douglas
MacKinnon -- who worked under Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush
in the eighties and early nineties -- and it earned an enthusiastic thumbs
down from fivethirtyeight statistician Nate Silver.

"The competition is fierce but this is a top 5 worst political take of all
time," Silver said.

The plan MacKinnon described was simple: all President Joe Biden had to do
was replace VP Harris with Newsom -- after which he could resign, leaving
Newsom seated comfortably in the Oval Office less the wear and tear from an
actual campaign.

Despite the plan being simple, MacKinnon noted, the situation was quite
complicated. First, he argued that the expected "Red Wave" that failed to
materialize as a result of Tuesday's midterms elections was the result of
either "Trump fatigue" or plain vanilla hatred of the former president -- but
what could have been channeled into massive gains for the Democrats was
tempered by the fact that voters just don't like Biden (or Harris) much
either.

"As long as [Trump] is still considered a potentially viable candidate for
2024, or a political force by the left, that fatigue and hate will be enough
to drive many Americans to the polls to vote against any Republican,"
MacKinnon continued, positing that Biden was only as strong as his potential
Republican opponent was weak.

But he said that he didn't believe the former president was likely to run --
although he did expect a fair amount of protracted drama surrounding his
potential "announcement" -- which meant that Democrats would have to be
prepared to face a stronger ticket. The ticket MacKinnon thought was likely
-- and strong -- included Florida Governor Ron DeSantis and possibly former
South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley.

"What Tuesday's voting demonstrated is that our country is still equally
divided and deeply polarized, with no political healing on the horizon,"
MacKinnon wrote. "That reality speaks to the need for a proven vote-getter
with lots of money and a logistical machine behind him. In Politics 101,
California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) meets -- maybe even exceeds -- those
qualifications."

MacKinnon offered two possible routes that Newsom could take to the White
House, and neither required him to win a Democratic primary or a general
election without the power of White House experience behind him. Not only
that, but he argued it would be "political malpractice" for the Democrats to
not at least consider this option.

"In one scenario, Biden could ask Harris to resign and replace her with
Newsom, who then becomes the heir apparent for 2024. Or Biden could replace
Harris with Newsom and then resign himself, making Newsom the president
before 2024 and arming him with the full force of the Oval Office," he said.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Gavin Newsom's California

<atropos-1C1E3A.08541614112022@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164704&group=rec.arts.tv#164704

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 08:54:51 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 16:54 UTC

In article <tktkc9$1pb7n$2@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> BTR wrote:
>
> > And Newsom thinks he's gonna be president some day.
>
> The Hill published a possible plan that could propel California Governor
> Gavin Newsom (D) directly to the presidency, passing by Vice President Kamala
> Harris, without it ever coming to a vote before the American people.
>
> The plan was outlined by former Pentagon and White House official Douglas
> MacKinnon -- who worked under Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush
> in the eighties and early nineties -- and it earned an enthusiastic thumbs
> down from fivethirtyeight statistician Nate Silver.
>
> "The competition is fierce but this is a top 5 worst political take of all
> time," Silver said.
>
> The plan MacKinnon described was simple: all President Joe Biden had to do
> was replace VP Harris with Newsom -- after which he could resign, leaving
> Newsom seated comfortably in the Oval Office less the wear and tear from an
> actual campaign.

The president can't 'replace' the vice president. The VP is an elected
office and he/she can't be fired by president. The VP has to resign
voluntarily. Biden could replace her on the ticket for the next election
but then Newsom would have to campaign to be elected just like everyone
else, which is precisely what this MacKinnon guy says he is trying to
avoid.

Re: Gavin Newsom's California

<tktv48$1q8tm$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164707&group=rec.arts.tv#164707

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 12:49:59 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 17:49 UTC

atropos@mac.com wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> BTR wrote:

>>> And Newsom thinks he's gonna be president some day.
>>
>> The Hill published a possible plan that could propel California Governor
>> Gavin Newsom (D) directly to the presidency, passing by Vice President
>> Kamala Harris, without it ever coming to a vote before the American
>> people.
>>
>> The plan was outlined by former Pentagon and White House official Douglas
>> MacKinnon -- who worked under Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H. W.
>> Bush in the eighties and early nineties -- and it earned an enthusiastic
>> thumbs down from fivethirtyeight statistician Nate Silver.
>>
>> "The competition is fierce but this is a top 5 worst political take of all
>> time," Silver said.
>>
>> The plan MacKinnon described was simple: all President Joe Biden had to do
>> was replace VP Harris with Newsom -- after which he could resign, leaving
>> Newsom seated comfortably in the Oval Office less the wear and tear from
>> an actual campaign.
>
>The president can't 'replace' the vice president. The VP is an elected
>office and he/she can't be fired by president. The VP has to resign
>voluntarily. Biden could replace her on the ticket for the next election
>but then Newsom would have to campaign to be elected just like everyone
>else, which is precisely what this MacKinnon guy says he is trying to
>avoid.

Now that you mention it, if the V.P. resigns, do the rules of succession
apply or is someone selected?

--
Let's go Branon!

Re: Gavin Newsom's California

<atropos-BDAF5C.11184314112022@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164717&group=rec.arts.tv#164717

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 11:19:18 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 19:19 UTC

In article <tktv48$1q8tm$2@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> atropos@mac.com wrote:
> > Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> >> The Hill published a possible plan that could propel California Governor
> >> Gavin Newsom (D) directly to the presidency, passing by Vice President
> >> Kamala Harris, without it ever coming to a vote before the American
> >> people.
> >>
> >> The plan was outlined by former Pentagon and White House official Douglas
> >> MacKinnon -- who worked under Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H. W.
> >> Bush in the eighties and early nineties -- and it earned an enthusiastic
> >> thumbs down from fivethirtyeight statistician Nate Silver.
> >>
> >> "The competition is fierce but this is a top 5 worst political take of all
> >> time," Silver said.
> >>
> >> The plan MacKinnon described was simple: all President Joe Biden had to do
> >> was replace VP Harris with Newsom -- after which he could resign, leaving
> >> Newsom seated comfortably in the Oval Office less the wear and tear from
> >> an actual campaign.
> >
> >The president can't 'replace' the vice president. The VP is an elected
> >office and he/she can't be fired by president. The VP has to resign
> >voluntarily. Biden could replace her on the ticket for the next election
> >but then Newsom would have to campaign to be elected just like everyone
> >else, which is precisely what this MacKinnon guy says he is trying to
> >avoid.
>
> Now that you mention it, if the V.P. resigns, do the rules of succession
> apply or is someone selected?

The president nominates a new VP which the Senate has to confirm.

Re: Gavin Newsom's California

<666515177.690146294.647162.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164720&group=rec.arts.tv#164720

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 12:46:00 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 19:46 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> In article <tktkc9$1pb7n$2@dont-email.me>,
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> BTR wrote:
>>
>>> And Newsom thinks he's gonna be president some day.
>>
>> The Hill published a possible plan that could propel California Governor
>> Gavin Newsom (D) directly to the presidency, passing by Vice President Kamala
>> Harris, without it ever coming to a vote before the American people.
>>
>> The plan was outlined by former Pentagon and White House official Douglas
>> MacKinnon -- who worked under Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush
>> in the eighties and early nineties -- and it earned an enthusiastic thumbs
>> down from fivethirtyeight statistician Nate Silver.
>>
>> "The competition is fierce but this is a top 5 worst political take of all
>> time," Silver said.
>>
>> The plan MacKinnon described was simple: all President Joe Biden had to do
>> was replace VP Harris with Newsom -- after which he could resign, leaving
>> Newsom seated comfortably in the Oval Office less the wear and tear from an
>> actual campaign.
>
> The president can't 'replace' the vice president. The VP is an elected
> office and he/she can't be fired by president. The VP has to resign
> voluntarily.

Now wait a minute. On Stargate SG1 (the “SG“ stands for: STARGATE!) We
clearly saw President William Devane fire vice president Ronnie Cox. Cox
objected and Debane said “oh come on I’ve got enough on you to have you
shot)

Are you telling me they got that wrong?

Biden could replace her on the ticket for the next election
> but then Newsom would have to campaign to be elected just like everyone
> else, which is precisely what this MacKinnon guy says he is trying to
> avoid.

Re: Gavin Newsom's California

<tku78g$1qv82$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164726&group=rec.arts.tv#164726

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 20:08:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 20:08 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>>. . .

>>The president can't 'replace' the vice president. The VP is an elected
>>office and he/she can't be fired by president. The VP has to resign
>>voluntarily.

>Now wait a minute. On Stargate SG1 (the “SG“ stands for: STARGATE!) We
>clearly saw President William Devane fire vice president Ronnie Cox. Cox
>objected and Debane said “oh come on I’ve got enough on you to have you
>shot)

>Are you telling me they got that wrong?

Yes. You have to shoot Ronnie Cox first. He's always playing someone
horribly corrupt or the traitor.

Hey! I just saw William Devane recommending Medicare supplement plans
like Jimmy Walker!

He was the star of the one Hitchcock movie scored by John Williams.

>>Biden could replace her on the ticket for the next election
>>but then Newsom would have to campaign to be elected just like everyone
>>else, which is precisely what this MacKinnon guy says he is trying to
>>avoid.

Re: Gavin Newsom's California

<1785081004.690150268.013859.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164729&group=rec.arts.tv#164729

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 13:42:03 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 20:42 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>>> The president can't 'replace' the vice president. The VP is an elected
>>> office and he/she can't be fired by president. The VP has to resign
>>> voluntarily.
>
>> Now wait a minute. On Stargate SG1 (the “SG“ stands for: STARGATE!) We
>> clearly saw President William Devane fire vice president Ronnie Cox. Cox
>> objected and Debane said “oh come on I’ve got enough on you to have you
>> shot)
>
>> Are you telling me they got that wrong?
>
> Yes. You have to shoot Ronnie Cox first. He's always playing someone
> horribly corrupt or the traitor.
>
> Hey! I just saw William Devane recommending Medicare supplement plans
> like Jimmy Walker!

And The Shat

> He was the star of the one Hitchcock movie scored by John Williams.
>
>>> Biden could replace her on the ticket for the next election
>>> but then Newsom would have to campaign to be elected just like everyone
>>> else, which is precisely what this MacKinnon guy says he is trying to
>>> avoid.

Re: Gavin Newsom's California

<atropos-3EEFE1.14205414112022@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164739&group=rec.arts.tv#164739

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 14:21:29 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 22:21 UTC

In article
<666515177.690146294.647162.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> > In article <tktkc9$1pb7n$2@dont-email.me>,
> > Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> >> The Hill published a possible plan that could propel California Governor
> >> Gavin Newsom (D) directly to the presidency, passing by Vice President
> >> Kamala Harris, without it ever coming to a vote before the American people.
> >>
> >> The plan was outlined by former Pentagon and White House official Douglas
> >> MacKinnon -- who worked under Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H. W.
> >> Bush in the eighties and early nineties -- and it earned an enthusiastic
> >> thumbs down from fivethirtyeight statistician Nate Silver.
> >>
> >> "The competition is fierce but this is a top 5 worst political take of all
> >> time," Silver said.
> >>
> >> The plan MacKinnon described was simple: all President Joe Biden had to do
> >> was replace VP Harris with Newsom -- after which he could resign, leaving
> >> Newsom seated comfortably in the Oval Office less the wear and tear from
> >> an actual campaign.
> >
> > The president can't 'replace' the vice president. The VP is an elected
> > office and he/she can't be fired by president. The VP has to resign
> > voluntarily.
>
> Now wait a minute. On Stargate SG1 (the "SG" stands for: STARGATE!) We
> clearly saw President William Devane fire vice president Ronnie Cox. Cox
> objected and Debane said "Oh come on I've got enough on you to have you
> shot)
>
> Are you telling me they got that wrong?

Just a little bit.

Re: Gavin Newsom's California

<141120221738507295%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164741&group=rec.arts.tv#164741

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 17:38:50 -0500
 by: A Friend - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 22:38 UTC

In article
<666515177.690146294.647162.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> > In article <tktkc9$1pb7n$2@dont-email.me>,
> > Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> >> The Hill published a possible plan that could propel California Governor
> >> Gavin Newsom (D) directly to the presidency, passing by Vice President
> >> Kamala
> >> Harris, without it ever coming to a vote before the American people.
> >>
> >> The plan was outlined by former Pentagon and White House official Douglas
> >> MacKinnon -- who worked under Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H. W.
> >> Bush
> >> in the eighties and early nineties -- and it earned an enthusiastic thumbs
> >> down from fivethirtyeight statistician Nate Silver.
> >>
> >> "The competition is fierce but this is a top 5 worst political take of all
> >> time," Silver said.
> >>
> >> The plan MacKinnon described was simple: all President Joe Biden had to do
> >> was replace VP Harris with Newsom -- after which he could resign, leaving
> >> Newsom seated comfortably in the Oval Office less the wear and tear from
> >> an
> >> actual campaign.
> >
> > The president can't 'replace' the vice president. The VP is an elected
> > office and he/she can't be fired by president. The VP has to resign
> > voluntarily.
>
> Now wait a minute. On Stargate SG1 (the ³SG³ stands for: STARGATE!) We
> clearly saw President William Devane fire vice president Ronnie Cox. Cox
> objected and Debane said ³oh come on I¹ve got enough on you to have you
> shot)
>
> Are you telling me they got that wrong?

Spiro Agnew was fired and hung out to dry.

Re: Gavin Newsom's California

<atropos-8701DF.15084714112022@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164752&group=rec.arts.tv#164752

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 15:09:22 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 23:09 UTC

In article <141120221738507295%nope@noway.com>,
A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

> In article
> <666515177.690146294.647162.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

> > > The president can't 'replace' the vice president. The VP is an elected
> > > office and he/she can't be fired by president. The VP has to resign
> > > voluntarily.
> >
> > Now wait a minute. On Stargate SG1 (the �SG� stands for: STARGATE!) We
> > clearly saw President William Devane fire vice president Ronnie Cox. Cox
> > objected and Debane said �oh come on I�ve got enough on you to have you
> > shot)
> >
> > Are you telling me they got that wrong?

> Spiro Agnew was fired and hung out to dry.

No, he wasn't.

Re: Gavin Newsom's California

<tkuian$1rse9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164754&group=rec.arts.tv#164754

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 23:17:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 23:17 UTC

A Friend wrote:
>>. . .

>Spiro Agnew was fired and hung out to dry.

You don't think the corruption investigation was real? The contractor
payoff allegations were certainly sensational but it was hard to believe
Agnew was handed a pile of cash. Still, I bought the allegations of
years of kickbacks.

Re: Gavin Newsom's California

<tkuptm$rrj5$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164767&group=rec.arts.tv#164767

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 17:27:17 -0800
 by: suzeeq - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 01:27 UTC

On 11/14/2022 2:38 PM, A Friend wrote:
> In article
> <666515177.690146294.647162.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> The president can't 'replace' the vice president. The VP is an elected
>>> office and he/she can't be fired by president. The VP has to resign
>>> voluntarily.
>>
>> Now wait a minute. On Stargate SG1 (the ³SG³ stands for: STARGATE!) We
>> clearly saw President William Devane fire vice president Ronnie Cox. Cox
>> objected and Debane said ³oh come on I¹ve got enough on you to have you
>> shot)
>>
>> Are you telling me they got that wrong?
>

> Spiro Agnew was fired and hung out to dry.

He resigned because of all his legal problems.

Re: Gavin Newsom's California

<141120222216442173%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164772&group=rec.arts.tv#164772

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 22:16:44 -0500
 by: A Friend - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 03:16 UTC

In article <tkuian$1rse9$2@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> A Friend wrote:
>
> >>. . .
>
> >Spiro Agnew was fired and hung out to dry.
>
> You don't think the corruption investigation was real? The contractor
> payoff allegations were certainly sensational but it was hard to believe
> Agnew was handed a pile of cash. Still, I bought the allegations of
> years of kickbacks.

So did I, but I think Agnew would have survived in office if he'd been
in a stronger position. I don't think they ever made the case that
Agnew had continued to receive kickbacks as vp, but the entire
administration was beginning to limp badly, and there were those who
thought throwing Agnew's head to the mob would relieve the pressure on
Nixon.

Re: Gavin Newsom's California

<tl0pgg$24dne$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164862&group=rec.arts.tv#164862

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 14:32:32 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 19:32 UTC

atropos@mac.com wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> atropos@mac.com wrote:

>>>The president can't 'replace' the vice president. The VP is an elected
>>>office and he/she can't be fired by president. The VP has to resign
>>>voluntarily. Biden could replace her on the ticket for the next election
>>>but then Newsom would have to campaign to be elected just like everyone
>>>else, which is precisely what this MacKinnon guy says he is trying to
>>>avoid.
>>
>> Now that you mention it, if the V.P. resigns, do the rules of succession
>> apply or is someone selected?
>
>The president nominates a new VP which the Senate has to confirm.

Thanks!

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Gavin Newsom's California

<151120221711545926%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164896&group=rec.arts.tv#164896

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 17:11:54 -0500
 by: A Friend - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 22:11 UTC

In article <tl0pgg$24dne$1@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous
<weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> atropos@mac.com wrote:
> > Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> >> Now that you mention it, if the V.P. resigns, do the rules of succession
> >> apply or is someone selected?
> >
> >The president nominates a new VP which the Senate has to confirm.
>
> Thanks!

I'm going to add that this finally got fixed via a constitutional
amendment when LBJ succeeded to office and didn't have a vice president
until Hubert Humphrey was elected in 1964 and sworn in several months
later. Before then, the office of vp stayed vacant until after the
next election.