I have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- Edgar Allan Poe

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: [NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) coming to Blu-ray

SubjectAuthor
* [NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) coming to Blu-rayYour Name
`* Re: [NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) coming to Blu-rayAdam H. Kerman
 `* Re: [NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) cominganim8rfsk
  `* Re: [NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) comingAdam H. Kerman
   +* Re: [NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) coming to Blu-rayA Friend
   |`* Re: [NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) coming totrotsky
   | `* Re: [NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) coming to Blu-rayA Friend
   |  `- Re: [NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) coming to Blu-rayAdam H. Kerman
   `* Re: [NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) cominganim8rfsk
    `- Re: [NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) comingAdam H. Kerman

1
[NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) coming to Blu-ray

<tkuofa$fue$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164763&group=rec.arts.tv#164763

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: [NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) coming to Blu-ray
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 14:02:35 +1300
 by: Your Name - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 01:02 UTC

The Adventures of Batman Blu-ray Remaster Gets Release Date
The Adventures of Batman, an animated TV series that premiered
in 1968, is getting the remaster treatment, with Warner Bros.
Home Entertainment announcing a Blu-ray release of the series
planned for 2023.

For the first time ever, the series will be collected into one
Blu-ray package as a two-disc set featuring all 34 episodes of
the original series. The collection will be released on
February 28, 2023, and will retail for $29.98 in the United
States.

The original series premiered in 1968 and featured 12-minute
segments from The Batman/Superman Hour, but was later
re-branded into a full 30-minute series known as Batman with
Robin the Boy Wonder. The series starred Olan Soule as the
voice of Batman, with Casey Kasem starring as Robin.

The supporting cast also featured two-time Emmy Award winner
Ted Knight (The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Caddyshack) as
Commissioner Gordon, Larry Storch (F Troop) as Joker, and
Jane Webb (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, The Archie Show) as
Barbara Gordon/Batgirl. The Adventures of Batman also featured
a litany of other Batman villains, including Penguin,
Mr. Freeze, Catwoman, Riddler, Scarecrow, Dollman, and more.

Box image:

<https://cdn-www.comingsoon.net/assets/uploads/2022/11/ADVENT_OF_BATMAN_CSR_3D6936-618x800.jpeg>

<https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1249186-the-adventures-of-batman-gets-blu-ray-remaster>

Re: [NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) coming to Blu-ray

<tkvhaf$2120o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164796&group=rec.arts.tv#164796

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 08:06:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 08:06 UTC

Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> The Adventures of Batman Blu-ray Remaster Gets Release Date
> The Adventures of Batman, an animated TV series that premiered
> in 1968, is getting the remaster treatment, with Warner Bros.
> Home Entertainment announcing a Blu-ray release of the series
> planned for 2023.

Bonk

How do you remaster Filmation's 3 frames a second animation? There's no
quality to preserve!

> For the first time ever, the series will be collected into one
> Blu-ray package as a two-disc set featuring all 34 episodes of
> the original series. The collection will be released on
> February 28, 2023, and will retail for $29.98 in the United
> States.

> The original series premiered in 1968 and featured 12-minute
> segments from The Batman/Superman Hour, but was later
> re-branded into a full 30-minute series known as Batman with
> Robin the Boy Wonder.

This is kind of the point. This was NOT an original series but simply a
repackaging of Batman/Superman. So why not do the original?

>The series starred Olan Soule as the
> voice of Batman,

Mr. First Nighter!

No one but me will get that reference.

>with Casey Kasem starring as Robin.

Casey Kasem's voice was ubiquitous in both Filmation and Hannah-Barberra
cartoons. He was Shaggy, of course, in Scooby Doo.

> The supporting cast also featured two-time Emmy Award winner
> Ted Knight (The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Caddyshack) as
> Commissioner Gordon, Larry Storch (F Troop) as Joker,

He did a lot of cackling. Joker should have been more evil.

>and
> Jane Webb (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, The Archie Show) as
> Barbara Gordon/Batgirl. The Adventures of Batman also featured
> a litany of other Batman villains, including Penguin,
> Mr. Freeze, Catwoman, Riddler, Scarecrow, Dollman, and more.

> Box image:

>https://cdn-www.comingsoon.net/assets/uploads/2022/11/ADVENT_OF_BATMAN_CSR_3D6936-618x800.jpeg
>

><https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1249186-the-adventures-of-batman-gets-blu-ray-remaster>

Re: [NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) coming to Blu-ray

<1268957061.690231110.069591.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164859&group=rec.arts.tv#164859

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) coming
to Blu-ray
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 11:54:22 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 18:54 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>
>> The Adventures of Batman Blu-ray Remaster Gets Release Date
>> The Adventures of Batman, an animated TV series that premiered
>> in 1968, is getting the remaster treatment, with Warner Bros.
>> Home Entertainment announcing a Blu-ray release of the series
>> planned for 2023.
>
> Bonk
>
> How do you remaster Filmation's 3 frames a second animation? There's no
> quality to preserve!
>
>> For the first time ever, the series will be collected into one
>> Blu-ray package as a two-disc set featuring all 34 episodes of
>> the original series. The collection will be released on
>> February 28, 2023, and will retail for $29.98 in the United
>> States.
>
>> The original series premiered in 1968 and featured 12-minute
>> segments from The Batman/Superman Hour, but was later
>> re-branded into a full 30-minute series known as Batman with
>> Robin the Boy Wonder.
>
> This is kind of the point. This was NOT an original series but simply a
> repackaging of Batman/Superman. So why not do the original?

The article I read said the exact reverse. This was first and was then
repackaged into the Batman Superman hour.

>> The series starred Olan Soule as the
>> voice of Batman,
>
> Mr. First Nighter!
>
> No one but me will get that reference.
>
>> with Casey Kasem starring as Robin.
>
> Casey Kasem's voice was ubiquitous in both Filmation and Hannah-Barberra
> cartoons. He was Shaggy, of course, in Scooby Doo.
>
>> The supporting cast also featured two-time Emmy Award winner
>> Ted Knight (The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Caddyshack) as
>> Commissioner Gordon, Larry Storch (F Troop) as Joker,
>
> He did a lot of cackling. Joker should have been more evil.

It’s not true anyway. Ted Knight was the Joker.

>> and
>> Jane Webb (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, The Archie Show) as
>> Barbara Gordon/Batgirl. The Adventures of Batman also featured
>> a litany of other Batman villains, including Penguin,
>> Mr. Freeze, Catwoman, Riddler, Scarecrow, Dollman, and more.
>
>> Box image:
>
>> https://cdn-www.comingsoon.net/assets/uploads/2022/11/ADVENT_OF_BATMAN_CSR_3D6936-618x800.jpeg
>>

>> <https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1249186-the-adventures-of-batman-gets-blu-ray-remaster>

Re: [NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) coming to Blu-ray

<tl0vlg$24rvs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164873&group=rec.arts.tv#164873

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
to Blu-ray
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 21:17:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 21:17 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>>Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

>>>The Adventures of Batman Blu-ray Remaster Gets Release Date
>>>-----------------------------------------------------------
>>>The Adventures of Batman, an animated TV series that premiered
>>>in 1968, is getting the remaster treatment, with Warner Bros.
>>>Home Entertainment announcing a Blu-ray release of the series
>>>planned for 2023.

>>Bonk

>>How do you remaster Filmation's 3 frames a second animation? There's no
>>quality to preserve!

>>>For the first time ever, the series will be collected into one
>>>Blu-ray package as a two-disc set featuring all 34 episodes of
>>>the original series. The collection will be released on
>>>February 28, 2023, and will retail for $29.98 in the United
>>>States.

>>>The original series premiered in 1968 and featured 12-minute
>>>segments from The Batman/Superman Hour, but was later
>>>re-branded into a full 30-minute series known as Batman with
>>>Robin the Boy Wonder.

>>This is kind of the point. This was NOT an original series but simply a
>>repackaging of Batman/Superman. So why not do the original?

>The article I read said the exact reverse. This was first and was then
>repackaged into the Batman Superman hour.

I remember this distinctly having watched it as a kid. The article
you're reading was wrong.

The other thing that was cool about the voice cast was Bud Collyer from
The Adventures of Superman radio program (with serialized stories) was
brought back to voice Superman. Joan Alexander, one of the Lois Lanes,
was also in the Filmation voice cast.

>>>The series starred Olan Soule as the
>>>voice of Batman,

>>Mr. First Nighter!

>>No one but me will get that reference.

>>>with Casey Kasem starring as Robin.

>>Casey Kasem's voice was ubiquitous in both Filmation and Hannah-Barberra
>>cartoons. He was Shaggy, of course, in Scooby Doo.

>>>The supporting cast also featured two-time Emmy Award winner
>>>Ted Knight (The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Caddyshack) as
>>>Commissioner Gordon, Larry Storch (F Troop) as Joker,

>>He did a lot of cackling. Joker should have been more evil.

>It's not true anyway. Ted Knight was the Joker.

It is true, anim. Ted Knight was the voice of Commissioner Gordon.

>>>. . .

Re: [NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) coming to Blu-ray

<151120221705212325%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164889&group=rec.arts.tv#164889

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 17:05:21 -0500
 by: A Friend - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 22:05 UTC

In article <tl0vlg$24rvs$1@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> >Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> >>Bonk
>
> >>How do you remaster Filmation's 3 frames a second animation? There's no
> >>quality to preserve!

> >>This is kind of the point. This was NOT an original series but simply a
> >>repackaging of Batman/Superman. So why not do the original?
>
> >The article I read said the exact reverse. This was first and was then
> >repackaged into the Batman Superman hour.
>
> I remember this distinctly having watched it as a kid. The article
> you're reading was wrong.
>
> The other thing that was cool about the voice cast was Bud Collyer from
> The Adventures of Superman radio program (with serialized stories) was
> brought back to voice Superman. Joan Alexander, one of the Lois Lanes,
> was also in the Filmation voice cast.

> >>Mr. First Nighter!
>
> >>No one but me will get that reference.

> >>Casey Kasem's voice was ubiquitous in both Filmation and Hannah-Barberra
> >>cartoons. He was Shaggy, of course, in Scooby Doo.

> >>He did a lot of cackling. Joker should have been more evil.
>
> >It's not true anyway. Ted Knight was the Joker.
>
> It is true, anim. Ted Knight was the voice of Commissioner Gordon.

Ted Knight was a utility voice player in those days, just before he got
the MTM Show. I saw one Batman installment in which Ted did all the
voices except for Batman and Robin. Ted didn't have much range,
though, and so all his characters sounded very much alike.

James Brooks said once that when Ted showed up to interview for Ted
Baxter, his suit jacket was threadbare. Brooks said he was struck by
that. I got the idea that it helped Ted Knight get the part.

Re: [NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) coming to Blu-ray

<929522157.690242552.158608.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164893&group=rec.arts.tv#164893

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
to Blu-ray
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 15:10:11 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 22:10 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>> Bonk
>
>>> How do you remaster Filmation's 3 frames a second animation? There's no
>>> quality to preserve!

>>> This is kind of the point. This was NOT an original series but simply a
>>> repackaging of Batman/Superman. So why not do the original?
>
>> The article I read said the exact reverse. This was first and was then
>> repackaged into the Batman Superman hour.
>
> I remember this distinctly having watched it as a kid. The article
> you're reading was wrong.
>
> The other thing that was cool about the voice cast was Bud Collyer from
> The Adventures of Superman radio program (with serialized stories) was
> brought back to voice Superman. Joan Alexander, one of the Lois Lanes,
> was also in the Filmation voice cast.

>>> Mr. First Nighter!
>
>>> No one but me will get that reference.

>>> Casey Kasem's voice was ubiquitous in both Filmation and Hannah-Barberra
>>> cartoons. He was Shaggy, of course, in Scooby Doo.

>>> He did a lot of cackling. Joker should have been more evil.
>
>> It's not true anyway. Ted Knight was the Joker.
>
> It is true, anim. Ted Knight was the voice of Commissioner Gordon.

https://13thdimension.com/1968s-filmation-batman-to-get-remastered-blu-ray-release-in-2023/

Re: [NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) coming to Blu-ray

<tl13hl$257lj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164899&group=rec.arts.tv#164899

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
to Blu-ray
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 22:23:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 22:23 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>>> The article I read said the exact reverse. This was first and was then
>>> repackaged into the Batman Superman hour.
>>
>> I remember this distinctly having watched it as a kid. The article
>> you're reading was wrong.
>>
>> The other thing that was cool about the voice cast was Bud Collyer from
>> The Adventures of Superman radio program (with serialized stories) was
>> brought back to voice Superman. Joan Alexander, one of the Lois Lanes,
>> was also in the Filmation voice cast.

>>> It's not true anyway. Ted Knight was the Joker.
>>
>> It is true, anim. Ted Knight was the voice of Commissioner Gordon.

>https://13thdimension.com/1968s-filmation-batman-to-get-remastered-blu-ray-release-in-2023/

He failed to explain it correctly.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062544/episodes

Both Superman and Batman episodes each week.

Re: [NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) coming to Blu-ray

<tl17at$1epp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164909&group=rec.arts.tv#164909

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) coming to
Blu-ray
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 17:28:28 -0600
 by: trotsky - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 23:28 UTC

On 11/15/22 4:05 PM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <tl0vlg$24rvs$1@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>>> The article I read said the exact reverse. This was first and was then
>>> repackaged into the Batman Superman hour.
>>
>> I remember this distinctly having watched it as a kid. The article
>> you're reading was wrong.
>>
>> The other thing that was cool about the voice cast was Bud Collyer from
>> The Adventures of Superman radio program (with serialized stories) was
>> brought back to voice Superman. Joan Alexander, one of the Lois Lanes,
>> was also in the Filmation voice cast.

>>> It's not true anyway. Ted Knight was the Joker.
>>
>> It is true, anim. Ted Knight was the voice of Commissioner Gordon.
>

> Ted Knight was a utility voice player in those days, just before he got
> the MTM Show. I saw one Batman installment in which Ted did all the
> voices except for Batman and Robin. Ted didn't have much range,
> though, and so all his characters sounded very much alike.
>
> James Brooks said once that when Ted showed up to interview for Ted
> Baxter, his suit jacket was threadbare. Brooks said he was struck by
> that. I got the idea that it helped Ted Knight get the part.

If he was able to come up with glimpses of his Ted Baxter character in
the audition that would've gotten him the part too.

Re: [NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) coming to Blu-ray

<151120222149231585%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164925&group=rec.arts.tv#164925

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 21:49:23 -0500
 by: A Friend - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 02:49 UTC

In article <tl17at$1epp$1@gioia.aioe.org>, trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
wrote:

> On 11/15/22 4:05 PM, A Friend wrote:
> > In article <tl0vlg$24rvs$1@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
> > <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> >> I remember this distinctly having watched it as a kid. The article
> >> you're reading was wrong.
> >>
> >> The other thing that was cool about the voice cast was Bud Collyer from
> >> The Adventures of Superman radio program (with serialized stories) was
> >> brought back to voice Superman. Joan Alexander, one of the Lois Lanes,
> >> was also in the Filmation voice cast.

> >> It is true, anim. Ted Knight was the voice of Commissioner Gordon.
> >

> > Ted Knight was a utility voice player in those days, just before he got
> > the MTM Show. I saw one Batman installment in which Ted did all the
> > voices except for Batman and Robin. Ted didn't have much range,
> > though, and so all his characters sounded very much alike.
> >
> > James Brooks said once that when Ted showed up to interview for Ted
> > Baxter, his suit jacket was threadbare. Brooks said he was struck by
> > that. I got the idea that it helped Ted Knight get the part.
>

> If he was able to come up with glimpses of his Ted Baxter character in
> the audition that would've gotten him the part too.

Tell you the truth, I don't know what was going on there. Ted Baxter
was based on a CBS News correspondent named Reid Collins, who worked
mostly in radio. James Brooks had been a desk assistant (that is, copy
boy) at CBS Radio News ca. 1960. He did not care much for Reid
Collins.

(I know that Angelenos tell each other that Ted Baxter was based on
longtime anchor Jerry Dunphy. It's not true.)

The original concept for Ted Baxter was not what we eventually got.
The original Ted was a shark, and you see glimpses of that during the
first few episodes. Somebody decided Baxter worked better as a fool
and a fraud, and Ted Knight was up to playing him that way, but Reid
Collins was neither a fool nor a fraud.

BTW in the real world Baxter would have been gone in six months unless
he delivered an audience. Baxter never did.

Re: [NEWS] "The Adventures of Batman" (1968 animated) coming to Blu-ray

<tl1jni$29aef$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164930&group=rec.arts.tv#164930

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 03:00:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 03:00 UTC

A Friend <A Friend> wrote:
>In article <tl17at$1epp$1@gioia.aioe.org>, trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
>wrote:
>
>> On 11/15/22 4:05 PM, A Friend wrote:

>> > Ted Knight was a utility voice player in those days, just before he got
>> > the MTM Show. I saw one Batman installment in which Ted did all the
>> > voices except for Batman and Robin. Ted didn't have much range,
>> > though, and so all his characters sounded very much alike.
>> >
>> > James Brooks said once that when Ted showed up to interview for Ted
>> > Baxter, his suit jacket was threadbare. Brooks said he was struck by
>> > that. I got the idea that it helped Ted Knight get the part.
>>

>> If he was able to come up with glimpses of his Ted Baxter character in
>> the audition that would've gotten him the part too.
>

>Tell you the truth, I don't know what was going on there. Ted Baxter
>was based on a CBS News correspondent named Reid Collins, who worked
>mostly in radio. James Brooks had been a desk assistant (that is, copy
>boy) at CBS Radio News ca. 1960. He did not care much for Reid
>Collins.
>
>(I know that Angelenos tell each other that Ted Baxter was based on
>longtime anchor Jerry Dunphy. It's not true.)
>
>The original concept for Ted Baxter was not what we eventually got.
>The original Ted was a shark, and you see glimpses of that during the
>first few episodes. Somebody decided Baxter worked better as a fool
>and a fraud, and Ted Knight was up to playing him that way, but Reid
>Collins was neither a fool nor a fraud.
>
>BTW in the real world Baxter would have been gone in six months unless
>he delivered an audience. Baxter never did.

That was the joke. He was always protected by someone higher up at the
company well above Lou, which was played out in the last episode in
which they kept Baxter and fired everybody else.

It was meant as satire.