Charity begins at home. -- Publius Terentius Afer (Terence)

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Copying a conversation

SubjectAuthor
* Copying a conversationGeorge J. Dance
+* Re: Copying a conversationGeorge J. Dance
|+* Re: Copying a conversationGeorge J. Dance
||+- Re: Copying a conversationW-Dockery
||`- Re: Copying a conversationHC
|`* Re: Copying a conversationWill Dockery
| `* Re: Copying a conversationVictor H.
|  `* Re: Copying a conversationW.Dockery
|   `* Re: Copying a conversationMichael Pendragon
|    `* Re: Copying a conversationW-Dockery
|     `- Re: Copying a conversationW.Dockery
+* Re: Copying a conversationMichael Pendragon
|+* Re: Copying a conversationGeneral-Zod
||+- Re: Copying a conversationWill Dockery
||`- Re: Copying a conversationW-Dockery
|`* Re: Copying a conversationCujo DeSockpuppet
| `- Re: Copying a conversationNancyGene
+- Re: Copying a conversationGeneral-Zod
+- Re: Copying a conversationFamily Guy
+* Re: Copying a conversationZod
|`* Re: Copying a conversationW.Dockery
| `- Re: Copying a conversationGeneral-Zod
+- Re: Copying a conversationGeneral-Zod
`* Re: Copying a conversationW-Dockery
 `* Re: Copying a conversationFamily Guy
  `* Re: Copying a conversationWill Dockery
   `* Re: Copying a conversationME
    `- Re: Copying a conversationWill Dockery

Pages:12
Re: Copying a conversation

<faacdefe-09d2-4a7c-a03b-d342654526c1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165057&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#165057

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 19:06:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Copying a conversation
From: opb...@yahoo.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 02:06 UTC

On Monday, August 22, 2022 at 6:41:43 PM UTC-4, Family Guy wrote:
> On Monday, August 22, 2022 at 5:34:00 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> > George J. Dance wrote:

> > > make those remarks.
> > > >

> > > The important difference here is that MP is cool with messages being
> > > quoted or copied in new threads on the same group. That's important, as
> > > it allows moving this discussion to a new thread. The old one has been
> > > thoroughly trashed, complete with a ko0K kAsKaDe.

> > > on the internet.
> > > can easily do so.
> > > >

> > > Not always. Anyone posting on the group can read your poem and reply to
> > > your post in full, which means copying the whole poem. If you remove
> > > your post, that copy will be the top post in the thread, and the thread
> > > will still have your name on it (meaning it could appear in google web
> > > searches). The only way to remove that post from google would be to
> > > complain to google -- say, on the grounds the new post was a mere copy,
> > > with no original content -- but a poster could easily defeat that by
> > > adding some original content underneath.
> >
> > > In short, it's not as easy to get rid of old copies of a poem on usenet
> > > as it is if they're posted to a poetry site or wiki. Those hoping to
> > > find a commercial publisher should keep that in mind.

> > > other groups and forums without my permission, then my poem could appear
> > > in many places on the internet. In that case, I would be unable to
> > > remove it from the internet in order to have it published.
> > > >

> > > You'd have to look at the internet headers, which would tell you which
> > > groups received the crosspost. Usenet servers, and many web portals
> > > (like NovaBBS) let you see the headers. Unfortunately, the last time
> > > Google changed the interface, they not only removed the crossposting
> > > feature, but also the ability to see the message headers.

> > > individuals, especially when taken out of context, one might not want to
> > > have it reposted in one of the groups it would offend. For instance,
> > > your "giggling at gays" poem, might get you in a lot of trouble in a gay
> > > group. Getting tagged as a racist could destroy your career... that is,
> > > if you actually had a career to destroy.

> > > Not really. Copying a post can be done just as easily by c&p'ing it
> > > discretely to all those groups (multiposting). Sure, that's a bit more
> > > work; but if someone actually had this malicious intent, they'd be more
> > > likely to multipost than crosspost, since that would make the posts less
> > > detectable (since there'd be no record of all the receiving groups in
> > > the headers).

> > > want "to set the record straight." But if that person crossposted their
> > > accusation to 20 other groups *without your knowledge,* you would be
> > > unable to address those accusations.
> > > >

> > > That sounds true for messages that are not crossposted. But, for those
> > > that are, it is true only for those stuck on google, where they can't
> > > crosspost to all the groups or even see what groups they are. Those
> > > posting from a usenet server, or a web portal like NovaBBS, can do both.
> [...]

Not the average Google reader, Dink, just on your page, apparently.

'This conversation has been hidden because you marked it for abuse."
> I've got well over 150 of 'your' threads seen that way, and it pleases me to have done so.
> you should die in a fire

Your ongoing death fantasy is noted once again, Dink.

And so it goes.

🙂

Re: Copying a conversation

<fe4f12bd-d38b-49a1-a273-a332b50d869dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165060&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#165060

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 19:21:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: poetbtc...@gmail.com (ME)
 by: ME - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 02:21 UTC

On Monday, 22 August 2022 at 22:06:30 UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Monday, August 22, 2022 at 6:41:43 PM UTC-4, Family Guy wrote:

> > > Google Groupers just don't get it.
> > "Google Groupers" get to see
> Not the average Google reader, Dink, just on your page, apparently.
> 'This conversation has been hidden because you marked it for abuse."
> > I've got well over 150 of 'your' threads seen that way, and it pleases me to have done so.
> > you should die in a fire
> Your ongoing death fantasy is noted once again, Dink.
>
> And so it goes.

I can go through 500 threads without seeing a single brillo head profile.
Thanks google.

Re: Copying a conversation

<f43c7798-34e3-47bf-847a-774a282a2738n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165061&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#165061

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 19:33:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: opb...@yahoo.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 02:33 UTC

On Monday, August 22, 2022 at 10:21:53 PM UTC-4, ME wrote:
> On Monday, 22 August 2022 at 22:06:30 UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

> > > "Google Groupers" get to see
> > Not the average Google reader, Dink, just on your page, apparently.
> > 'This conversation has been hidden because you marked it for abuse."
> > > I've got well over 150 of 'your' threads seen that way, and it pleases me to have done so.
> > > you should die in a fire
> > Your ongoing death fantasy is noted once again, Dink.
> >
> > And so it goes.
> >
> I can go through 500 threads without seeing a single brillo head profile.
> Thanks google.

Yes, and that keeps your type from trolling my threads, so it's a win for both sides.

🙂