The best way to keep your friends is not to give them away.

arts / rec.arts.tv / The Real Thanksgiving Family Fight

SubjectAuthor
* The Real Thanksgiving Family FightBTR1701
+- Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family FightmoviePig
+* Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family Fightshawn
|`* Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family FightAdam H. Kerman
| `* Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family FightBTR1701
|  `* Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family FightAdam H. Kerman
|   `* Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family Fightshawn
|    `* Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family FightmoviePig
|     `* Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family FightThe Horny Goat
|      `- Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family FightmoviePig
+* Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family FightIrish Mike
|`* Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family Fightanim8rfsk
| `- Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family FightmoviePig
+- Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family FightAdam H. Kerman
`- Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family FightPluted Pup

1
The Real Thanksgiving Family Fight

<wrydnT2TYpXYbOr-nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165401&group=rec.arts.tv#165401

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: The Real Thanksgiving Family Fight
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 20:55:33 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 20:55 UTC

The Thanksgiving fight in our family isn't ever over politics, it's over
whether or not cranberry sauce from a can is good and how anyone who disagrees
is a monster.

Cranberry sauce is only acceptable in jellied form. This is what separates us
from the barbarians. If you can't slice it like a loaf and it doesn't have the
indentations from the can on it, you know you're eating with communists.

This is beautiful:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ta1zcw6zoch8mgt/C-Sauce.gif?dl=0

On a related note: DIE HARD is a Christmas movie. This is factual and not open
for debate.

Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family Fight

<pQSdL.13516$cVTf.2906@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165405&group=rec.arts.tv#165405

Subject: Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family Fight
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 16:31:02 -0500
 by: moviePig - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 21:31 UTC

On 11/18/2022 3:55 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> The Thanksgiving fight in our family isn't ever over politics, it's
> over whether or not cranberry sauce from a can is good and how anyone
> who disagrees is a monster.
>
> Cranberry sauce is only acceptable in jellied form. This is what
> separates us from the barbarians. If you can't slice it like a loaf
> and it doesn't have the indentations from the can on it, you know
> you're eating with communists.
>
> This is beautiful:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ta1zcw6zoch8mgt/C-Sauce.gif?dl=0

Decorum forestalls my commentary on your .gif (...and I even *prefer*
jellied).

> On a related note: DIE HARD is a Christmas movie. This is factual and
> not open for debate.

And, if it were needed, DIE HARD 2 is sufficient proof of that.

Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family Fight

<5s1gnhtuq8khqhllbnaq9ehf54e865tr3d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165417&group=rec.arts.tv#165417

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 17:32:18 -0500
 by: shawn - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 22:32 UTC

On Fri, 18 Nov 2022 20:55:33 +0000, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>The Thanksgiving fight in our family isn't ever over politics, it's over
>whether or not cranberry sauce from a can is good and how anyone who disagrees
>is a monster.
>
>Cranberry sauce is only acceptable in jellied form. This is what separates us
>from the barbarians. If you can't slice it like a loaf and it doesn't have the
>indentations from the can on it, you know you're eating with communists.

I congratulate you on your decision to be wrong. Jellied cranberry
sauce is okay but it is so much better to take fresh cranberries and
cook them with some sugar (I usually go with half the recommended
amount) and other flavorings to get a great addition to the
traditional Thanksgiving feast.

>This is beautiful:
>
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/ta1zcw6zoch8mgt/C-Sauce.gif?dl=0
>
>On a related note: DIE HARD is a Christmas movie. This is factual and not open
>for debate.

Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family Fight

<d02438b2-53e6-4628-a878-dd43f52efad5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165418&group=rec.arts.tv#165418

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 15:06:38 -0800 (PST)
From: irishran...@gmail.com (Irish Mike)
 by: Irish Mike - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 23:06 UTC

On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 3:55:42 PM UTC-5, BTR1701 wrote:
> The Thanksgiving fight in our family isn't ever over politics, it's over
> whether or not cranberry sauce from a can is good and how anyone who disagrees
> is a monster.
>
> Cranberry sauce is only acceptable in jellied form.

I was about ten or eleven when I first
tasted cranberry sauce. I swore to God that
I would never eat that stuff again and it's one of the few
vows I've never broken.

Irish Mike

Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family Fight

<2057231689.690532964.901186.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165461&group=rec.arts.tv#165461

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 23:46:15 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 06:46 UTC

Irish Mike <irishranger317@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 3:55:42 PM UTC-5, BTR1701 wrote:
>> The Thanksgiving fight in our family isn't ever over politics, it's over
>> whether or not cranberry sauce from a can is good and how anyone who disagrees
>> is a monster.
>>
>> Cranberry sauce is only acceptable in jellied form.
>
> I was about ten or eleven when I first
> tasted cranberry sauce. I swore to God that
> I would never eat that stuff again and it's one of the few
> vows I've never broken.
>
> Irish Mike

Good for you. They forced me to smear cranberry on everything served on
Thanksgiving. I finally refused to go.

Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family Fight

<wa6eL.5966$kmVf.4503@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165505&group=rec.arts.tv#165505

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 09:58:37 -0500
 by: moviePig - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 14:58 UTC

On 11/19/2022 1:46 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Irish Mike <irishranger317@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 3:55:42 PM UTC-5, BTR1701 wrote:
>>> The Thanksgiving fight in our family isn't ever over politics, it's over
>>> whether or not cranberry sauce from a can is good and how anyone who disagrees
>>> is a monster.
>>>
>>> Cranberry sauce is only acceptable in jellied form.
>>
>> I was about ten or eleven when I first
>> tasted cranberry sauce. I swore to God that
>> I would never eat that stuff again and it's one of the few
>> vows I've never broken.
>>
>> Irish Mike
>>

> Good for you. They forced me to smear cranberry on everything served on
> Thanksgiving. I finally refused to go.

It's not for kids, who are expecting Jello.

Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family Fight

<tlbn9g$3ai77$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165570&group=rec.arts.tv#165570

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 23:02:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 23:02 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>The Thanksgiving fight in our family isn't ever over politics, it's over
>whether or not cranberry sauce from a can is good and how anyone who disagrees
>is a monster.

>Cranberry sauce is only acceptable in jellied form. This is what separates us
>from the barbarians. If you can't slice it like a loaf and it doesn't have the
>indentations from the can on it, you know you're eating with communists.

>This is beautiful:

>https://www.dropbox.com/s/ta1zcw6zoch8mgt/C-Sauce.gif?dl=0

Schlorp!

>On a related note: DIE HARD is a Christmas movie. This is factual and not open
>for debate.

Yeah yeah yeah. Beethoven stole "Ode to Joy" from this movie's
soundtrack. You already explained that to me.

I'm a monster. I'm cooking my own fresh cranberries.

Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family Fight

<tlbnbv$3ai77$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165571&group=rec.arts.tv#165571

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 23:03:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 23:03 UTC

>I congratulate you on your decision to be wrong. Jellied cranberry
>sauce is okay but it is so much better to take fresh cranberries and
>cook them with some sugar (I usually go with half the recommended
>amount) and other flavorings to get a great addition to the
>traditional Thanksgiving feast.

Me too. I cut the sugar way down as cranberry sauce should taste a bit
on the tart side but not too tart.

Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family Fight

<atropos-8C6165.19351319112022@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165605&group=rec.arts.tv#165605

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 19:35:48 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 03:35 UTC

In article <tlbnbv$3ai77$3@dont-email.me>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
> >I congratulate you on your decision to be wrong. Jellied cranberry
> >sauce is okay but it is so much better to take fresh cranberries and
> >cook them with some sugar (I usually go with half the recommended
> >amount) and other flavorings to get a great addition to the
> >traditional Thanksgiving feast.
>
> Me too. I cut the sugar way down as cranberry sauce should taste a bit
> on the tart side but not too tart.

Mom always used to have a separate homemade sauce that was inedibly tart
to accommodate the lunatics who don't want to taste the other food on
their plate.

Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family Fight

<0001HW.2929DD2600BF731430DC9938F@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165610&group=rec.arts.tv#165610

Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 19:57:26 -0800
From: pluted...@outlook.com (Pluted Pup)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
 by: Pluted Pup - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 03:57 UTC

On Fri, 18 Nov 2022 12:55:33 -0800, BTR1701 wrote:

> The Thanksgiving fight in our family isn't ever over politics, it's over
> whether or not cranberry sauce from a can is good and how anyone who disagrees
> is a monster.
>
> Cranberry sauce is only acceptable in jellied form. This is what separates us
> from the barbarians. If you can't slice it like a loaf and it doesn't have the
> indentations from the can on it, you know you're eating with communists.
>
> This is beautiful:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ta1zcw6zoch8mgt/C-Sauce.gif?dl=0

Hi Brent!

12.16 minutes into the Corner Gas third season Christmas episode:

https://youtu.be/EtEXX4r6Tlk?t=736

Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family Fight

<tlcdpd$3f262$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165614&group=rec.arts.tv#165614

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 05:26:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 05:26 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>In article <tlbnbv$3ai77$3@dont-email.me>,
> "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I congratulate you on your decision to be wrong. Jellied cranberry
>> >sauce is okay but it is so much better to take fresh cranberries and
>> >cook them with some sugar (I usually go with half the recommended
>> >amount) and other flavorings to get a great addition to the
>> >traditional Thanksgiving feast.
>>
>> Me too. I cut the sugar way down as cranberry sauce should taste a bit
>> on the tart side but not too tart.
>
>Mom always used to have a separate homemade sauce that was inedibly tart
>to accommodate the lunatics who don't want to taste the other food on
>their plate.

I don't cut the sugar down THAT much, just enough to make it a little tart.

You had weird relatives growing up.

Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family Fight

<ft2lnh5ptsjaaueqmklekmd7ircmkfvfld@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165676&group=rec.arts.tv#165676

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 15:19:58 -0500
 by: shawn - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 20:19 UTC

On Sun, 20 Nov 2022 05:26:05 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>>In article <tlbnbv$3ai77$3@dont-email.me>,

>>> Me too. I cut the sugar way down as cranberry sauce should taste a bit
>>> on the tart side but not too tart.
>>
>>Mom always used to have a separate homemade sauce that was inedibly tart
>>to accommodate the lunatics who don't want to taste the other food on
>>their plate.
>
>I don't cut the sugar down THAT much, just enough to make it a little tart.
>
>You had weird relatives growing up.

Agreed. You always want to be able to taste the food. It's like people
who want super spicy food. I like spicy food but if I can't taste the
rest of the food then what is the point.

Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family Fight

<M2xeL.21697$cVTf.6171@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165695&group=rec.arts.tv#165695

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 16:33:32 -0500
 by: moviePig - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 21:33 UTC

On 11/20/2022 3:19 PM, shawn wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2022 05:26:05 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> Mom always used to have a separate homemade sauce that was inedibly tart
>>> to accommodate the lunatics who don't want to taste the other food on
>>> their plate.
>>
>> I don't cut the sugar down THAT much, just enough to make it a little tart.
>>
>> You had weird relatives growing up.
>
> Agreed. You always want to be able to taste the food. It's like people
> who want super spicy food. I like spicy food but if I can't taste the
> rest of the food then what is the point.

The theory is that the little five-alarm fires on your tongue sensitize
your taste buds. (Well, at least *a* theory...)

Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family Fight

<dcennhtlbheqeuqql116o7e9lkmj6vk8oi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165768&group=rec.arts.tv#165768

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 09:50:18 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 17:50 UTC

On Sun, 20 Nov 2022 16:33:32 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
wrote:

>> Agreed. You always want to be able to taste the food. It's like people
>> who want super spicy food. I like spicy food but if I can't taste the
>> rest of the food then what is the point.
>
>The theory is that the little five-alarm fires on your tongue sensitize
>your taste buds. (Well, at least *a* theory...)

On the other hand I know one guy who is tall, slim and your typical GQ
white guy who is married to a gorgeoous Indian Dravidian gal (e.g.
considerably blacker than your typical North American black) whose
lady feared for when she first brought him home to Mom. Mom offered
him two plates of peppers and he chose the hotter green ones and made
a friend for life. (He said he didn't taste anything else for two days
but he was set for life with his in-laws...)

Re: The Real Thanksgiving Family Fight

<EQPeL.873$JjSc.471@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165778&group=rec.arts.tv#165778

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 13:55:32 -0500
 by: moviePig - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 18:55 UTC

On 11/21/2022 12:50 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2022 16:33:32 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> Agreed. You always want to be able to taste the food. It's like people
>>> who want super spicy food. I like spicy food but if I can't taste the
>>> rest of the food then what is the point.
>>
>> The theory is that the little five-alarm fires on your tongue sensitize
>> your taste buds. (Well, at least *a* theory...)
>>
> On the other hand I know one guy who is tall, slim and your typical GQ
> white guy who is married to a gorgeoous Indian Dravidian gal (e.g.
> considerably blacker than your typical North American black) whose
> lady feared for when she first brought him home to Mom. Mom offered
> him two plates of peppers and he chose the hotter green ones and made
> a friend for life. (He said he didn't taste anything else for two days
> but he was set for life with his in-laws...)

There's a Reddit video category called "Watch People Die Inside" devoted
to excruciating moments of silent failure. Nonchalant stoicism after
wolfing a ghost pepper (or the like) gives that a double meaning.