Stamp out philately.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Why is the left wing complaining?

SubjectAuthor
* Why is the left wing complaining?trotsky
+* Re: Why is the left wing complaining?moviePig
|+- Re: Why is the left wing complaining?trotsky
|`* Re: Why is the left wing complaining?NoBody
| +* Re: Why is the left wing complaining?suzeeq
| |`- Re: Why is the left wing complaining?Adam H. Kerman
| `- Re: Why is the left wing complaining?moviePig
`- Re: Why is the left wing complaining?trotsky

1
Why is the left wing complaining?

<tlal8j$ril$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165488&group=rec.arts.tv#165488

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Why is the left wing complaining?
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 07:21:23 -0600
 by: trotsky - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 13:21 UTC

People all over social media are complaining that Merrick Garland
appointing a special prosecutor to investigate Trump's numerous crimes
is a cop out. I say having Trump campaigning for President, losing the
nomination, and then running third party and killing any chance
DeathSantis has while simultaneously being investigated on which crimes
best to prosecute him for is the best of both worlds. If Trump creates
the MAGA party and runs third party on this the Dems could run Bugs
Bunny and would be guaranteed a win. It's all good.

Re: Why is the left wing complaining?

<MP6eL.12867$Mlk.290@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165511&group=rec.arts.tv#165511

Subject: Re: Why is the left wing complaining?
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 10:42:36 -0500
 by: moviePig - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 15:42 UTC

On 11/19/2022 8:21 AM, trotsky wrote:
> People all over social media are complaining that Merrick Garland
> appointing a special prosecutor to investigate Trump's numerous crimes
> is a cop out.  I say having Trump campaigning for President, losing the
> nomination, and then running third party and killing any chance
> DeathSantis has while simultaneously being investigated on which crimes
> best to prosecute him for is the best of both worlds.  If Trump creates
> the MAGA party and runs third party on this the Dems could run Bugs
> Bunny and would be guaranteed a win.  It's all good.

I'm beginning to suspect that Garland is not a fool. A special
prosecutor gives the outcome an outside shot at wide acceptance.

Re: Why is the left wing complaining?

<tlb2ka$qim$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165523&group=rec.arts.tv#165523

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 11:09:30 -0600
 by: trotsky - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 17:09 UTC

On 11/19/22 9:42 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 11/19/2022 8:21 AM, trotsky wrote:
>> People all over social media are complaining that Merrick Garland
>> appointing a special prosecutor to investigate Trump's numerous crimes
>> is a cop out.  I say having Trump campaigning for President, losing
>> the nomination, and then running third party and killing any chance
>> DeathSantis has while simultaneously being investigated on which
>> crimes best to prosecute him for is the best of both worlds.  If Trump
>> creates the MAGA party and runs third party on this the Dems could run
>> Bugs Bunny and would be guaranteed a win.  It's all good.
>
> I'm beginning to suspect that Garland is not a fool.  A special
> prosecutor gives the outcome an outside shot at wide acceptance.

That's definitely his reasoning but I haven't heard a single person on
social media (besides me) who's okay with it.

Re: Why is the left wing complaining?

<tlb2oa$qim$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165524&group=rec.arts.tv#165524

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 11:11:38 -0600
 by: trotsky - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 17:11 UTC

On 11/19/22 10:07 AM, RichA wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 November 2022 at 08:21:33 UTC-5, gmsin...@gmail.com wrote:
>> People all over social media are complaining that Merrick Garland
>> appointing a special prosecutor to investigate Trump's numerous crimes
>> is a cop out. I say having Trump campaigning for President, losing the
>> nomination, and then running third party and killing any chance
>> DeathSantis has while simultaneously being investigated on which crimes
>> best to prosecute him for is the best of both worlds. If Trump creates
>> the MAGA party and runs third party on this the Dems could run Bugs
>> Bunny and would be guaranteed a win. It's all good.
>
> "Infinite goodness is creating a being you know in advance is going to complain."
>
> Cpt. Billy Cutshaw, "The Ninth Configuration."

Quoting a line from a William Peter Blatty movie? Okay you get a gold
star for that one.

Re: Why is the left wing complaining?

<sqhknhddod3ac1f5rklju04k6jhlpiue3t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165635&group=rec.arts.tv#165635

From: NoB...@nowhere.com (NoBody)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 10:30:17 -0500
 by: NoBody - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 15:30 UTC

On Sat, 19 Nov 2022 10:42:36 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
wrote:

>On 11/19/2022 8:21 AM, trotsky wrote:
>> People all over social media are complaining that Merrick Garland
>> appointing a special prosecutor to investigate Trump's numerous crimes
>> is a cop out.  I say having Trump campaigning for President, losing the
>> nomination, and then running third party and killing any chance
>> DeathSantis has while simultaneously being investigated on which crimes
>> best to prosecute him for is the best of both worlds.  If Trump creates
>> the MAGA party and runs third party on this the Dems could run Bugs
>> Bunny and would be guaranteed a win.  It's all good.
>
>I'm beginning to suspect that Garland is not a fool. A special
>prosecutor gives the outcome an outside shot at wide acceptance.

Can someone tell me when it became acceptable that we can investigate
the opposite party when they announce their intention to run for
office? Pretty sure "enemies lists" are illegal. Also pretty sure
the country was outraged and impeached the last President on suspicion
of doing this.

Re: Why is the left wing complaining?

<tldi2n$43be$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165638&group=rec.arts.tv#165638

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 07:45:26 -0800
 by: suzeeq - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 15:45 UTC

On 11/20/2022 7:30 AM, NoBody wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2022 10:42:36 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/19/2022 8:21 AM, trotsky wrote:
>>> People all over social media are complaining that Merrick Garland
>>> appointing a special prosecutor to investigate Trump's numerous crimes
>>> is a cop out.  I say having Trump campaigning for President, losing the
>>> nomination, and then running third party and killing any chance
>>> DeathSantis has while simultaneously being investigated on which crimes
>>> best to prosecute him for is the best of both worlds.  If Trump creates
>>> the MAGA party and runs third party on this the Dems could run Bugs
>>> Bunny and would be guaranteed a win.  It's all good.
>>
>> I'm beginning to suspect that Garland is not a fool. A special
>> prosecutor gives the outcome an outside shot at wide acceptance.
>>

> Can someone tell me when it became acceptable that we can investigate
> the opposite party when they announce their intention to run for
> office? Pretty sure "enemies lists" are illegal. Also pretty sure
> the country was outraged and impeached the last President on suspicion
> of doing this.

He's not being investigated because he's running for office.

Re: Why is the left wing complaining?

<%aseL.13496$ft35.9410@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165639&group=rec.arts.tv#165639

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 11:00:59 -0500
 by: moviePig - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 16:00 UTC

On 11/20/2022 10:30 AM, NoBody wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2022 10:42:36 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/19/2022 8:21 AM, trotsky wrote:
>>> People all over social media are complaining that Merrick Garland
>>> appointing a special prosecutor to investigate Trump's numerous crimes
>>> is a cop out.  I say having Trump campaigning for President, losing the
>>> nomination, and then running third party and killing any chance
>>> DeathSantis has while simultaneously being investigated on which crimes
>>> best to prosecute him for is the best of both worlds.  If Trump creates
>>> the MAGA party and runs third party on this the Dems could run Bugs
>>> Bunny and would be guaranteed a win.  It's all good.
>>
>> I'm beginning to suspect that Garland is not a fool. A special
>> prosecutor gives the outcome an outside shot at wide acceptance.
>>

> Can someone tell me when it became acceptable that we can investigate
> the opposite party when they announce their intention to run for
> office? Pretty sure "enemies lists" are illegal. Also pretty sure
> the country was outraged and impeached the last President on suspicion
> of doing this.

Umm, *Trump* is being investigated, not the Republican party. And the
investigation somewhat predates his recent campaign Saturnalia...

Re: Why is the left wing complaining?

<tldjqr$3hom8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165641&group=rec.arts.tv#165641

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 16:15:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 16:15 UTC

suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:
>On 11/20/2022 7:30 AM, NoBody wrote:

>>>I'm beginning to suspect that Garland is not a fool. A special
>>>prosecutor gives the outcome an outside shot at wide acceptance.

>>Can someone tell me when it became acceptable that we can investigate
>>the opposite party when they announce their intention to run for
>>office? Pretty sure "enemies lists" are illegal. Also pretty sure
>>the country was outraged and impeached the last President on suspicion
>>of doing this.

>He's not being investigated because he's running for office.

Let's correct the terminology. Jack Smith was appointed "special
counsel". It's someone appointed from outside government with a
reputation for integrity and impartiality. A special counsel in
independent of the rest of the Justice Department but he remains subject
to rules of conduct applicable to any other federal prosecutor. He
reports directly to the Attorney General and therefore cannot make an
independent decision to prosecute without Merrick Garland's approval.

NoBody got it wrong: Both investigations have been ongoing. Quite
frankly, the investigation of Trump retaining classified material would
have come to absolutely nothing if he'd simply given all of it back the
moment the Archivist told him he had to return it all.

The probe into the events of January 6, 2021, duh, began at the very end
of Trump's term.

All Merrick Garland is saying is that a special counsel was appointed
BECAUSE Trump announced his re-election and Biden has indicated, but
hasn't yet announced, that he's seeking a second term, so someone with a
spotless reputation is now leading the investigations.

The investigations have been ongoing. Appointment of the special counsel
was because of Trump's announcement.