"Love may fail, but courtesy will previal." -- A Kurt Vonnegut fan

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Sunday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Sunday)Ian J. Ball
`* What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
 +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
 |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
 | `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
 |  +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)Dimensional Traveler
 |  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
 |   `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
 |    `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
 |     `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)shawn
 |      +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)Adam H. Kerman
 |      `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
 `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)Ubiquitous

1
What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Sunday)

<tldspo$3ipjq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165668&group=rec.arts.tv#165668

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Sunday)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 10:48:24 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 18:48 UTC

Well, this was my weekend day to watch nothing but movies, so that is
mostly what I did...:

soaps: GH - Fri's ep. Not much happened. Sam believes that Cody has
been scamming Britt the whole time to get his hands on the necklace.
(That would explain why Cody lied about Mac not being his father...)
They also look to be setting up writing Britt out (I think she's
leaving the show any day now.) The only other thing of note is that
Robert Scorpio follows Holly (Emma Samms) and now knows she's working
for Victor Cassadine.

Machine Head (Tubi; aka. Spring Break Killer) - This stars Sharon
Hinnendael from the 2013 "Embrace of the Vampire" flick - but this time
there, no nudity from her, and barely any nudity at all: mostly just
costar Nicole Zeoli who has certainly had a boob job.
The beginning of this is incredibly poorly filmed; the rest of it is
just mostly poorly filmed. (They must have made this for a $1.98!!)
That said, the film is actually surprisingly decent at establishing
suspense and terror later on. The problem is that the death scenes are
completely perfunctory and uninspired. This is also so low budget that
it has basically *no gore* - this is basically a "slasher film" without
the gory slashing, so really what is the point?!

I saw a little of "The Holiday Swap" with Alex Paxton-Beesley on UP tv.
I may have come in at the wrong time, and only saw the ending, really,
but it seemed kind of downbeat.

Walker: Independence (recorded) - "Random Acts" (ep. #6). This was much
better than ep. #5, and was actually a pretty good episode.
Deputy Gus has it in his head that the former sheriff, Otis Clay
(Jonathan Medina) was the one who shot Abby's husband, Liam. And for
some reason Calian plays along, even though Calian knows that Abby said
Sheriff Davidson was the shooter. Gus and Calian head to the outskirts
of town, to Otis' ranch, to question him.
In town, Sheriff Davidson is determined to impress a visiting
railroad big wig, and gets the idea from Kai to throw a "fight night"
for the big wig. Davidson convinces Hoyt to fight. Hoyt uses the
opportunity to throw the fight in order to make money off the betting.
Separately, Hoyt has a sweet momemnt with Lucia's father Francis
Reyes (Nestor Serrano), who we find out helped raise Hoyt after Hoyt's
father's death.
Abby and Kate go through Liam's (Abby's husband) journal(?), and
determine that Liam was in contact with former sheriff Otis before
coming to town. Abby goes off to Otis', and meets up with Gus and
Calian there, and is present during the questioning of Otis. Otis
admits to taking a payoff from the Davidsons to retire, but has an
alibi for Liam's death - it turns out Otis was on a cattle run with
Francis Reyes. When Gus, Calian and Otis go to Reyes to confirm the
alibi, Otis is shot! and Francis Reyes is killed!! (Who is behind this?)
Annoyingly, the show never gets back to Otis' fate - he is not
brought into town with Reyes' body, and is not mentioned again, so we
don't know if the gun wound was fatal or not.
At the fight night, Davidson is outraged when Hoyt loses (i.e.
because Hoyt has thrown the fight), and Davidson insists upong fighting
himself, barely winning with Kai's help.
The next morning, Abby figures out that Liam had been paid off by
the Davidson's to come to Independence. (This makes no sense! - They
paid him off, just to kill him?! What a waste of money!! (And does Abby
now have access to this money?))
Gus and Calian bring Reyes' body into town.
But in a shocking twist! somebody stabs Sheriff Davidson. Possibly
fatally! It's a cliffhanger!
I will like this show a lot more if it's revealed that Abby herself
stabbed him, or had him stabbed. But I doubt this show is ballsy enough
to go there...

Santa Bootcamp (Lifetime) - I got sucked into watching this, but it was
actually kind of fun, and was somewhat of a departure from the usge
holiday TV flicks.
The first half mostly involved Rita Moreno (she's secretly Mrs.
Claus, you see!!) torturing Emily Kinney's party planner character!
Kinney's character shows up looking for recommendations on Santas
for an event she is planning for a crass shopping center executive, but
gets coercively drafted into taking part in the "Santa bootcamp" by
Moreno if she wants the Santa recommendation.
But this is all a set-up! Morena's Mrs. Claus seeks to unlock
Kinney's latent Christmas spirit!
Of course, this all also involves a cute chef that is Kinney's love
interest.
Anyway, I liked that this mostly "broke genre", at least for the
first half, when Moreno seems to take glee in putting Kinney's
character through the Santa ringer!

Where the Crawdads Sing (Netflix) - This was pretty good - pretty much
what I figured it was going to be. This felt like a throwback to 1990s
"mid-budget" pictures - stuff like 1994's "Nell".
This is effectively, kind of "A Little Matchgirl"-type story.
"Kya" Clark is an abused girl in 1950s costal North Carolina
<s>swamp</s> "marsh" land. (Kya is very clear that these are marshes,
not swamps.) Her family abandons her - first her mother, then her older
siblings one-by-one, and eventually even her drunken dad. (It's unclear
if the father abandoned her, or died while away.)
Eventually, she takes a shine to a local boy, Tate (Taylor John
Smith). But though he loves her, he ends up abandoning Kya too.
Years later, in 1965, Kya (now around 20 years old) takes up with a
local rich boy Chase Andrews (Harris Dickinson). Of course, you can
tell he's no-good, but he doesn't push Kya, instead manipulating her to
get his way.
From the film's opening, we know Chase is dead, and the cops have
arrested Kya for Chase's murder. We eventually find out why.
Kya is represented in the trial by local attorney, Tom Milton (David
Strathairn - once again, the standout performance in another film,
along with Daisy Edgar-Jones in this one).
Overall, I liked this film, though I was surprised by the
"flashforward" at the end, but was not at all surprised by the final
"twist".

What did you watch?

What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)

<tle2gv$3j9jj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165682&group=rec.arts.tv#165682

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 12:26:07 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 20:26 UTC

Obviously should be "Saturday"...:

[...]

From the film's opening, we know Chase is dead, and the cops have
arrested Kya for Chase's murder. We eventually find out why.
Kya is represented in the trial by local attorney, Tom Milton (David
Strathairn - once again, the standout performance in another film,
along with Daisy Edgar-Jones in this one).
Overall, I liked this film, though I was surprised by the
"flashforward" at the end, but was not at all surprised by the final
"twist".

What did you watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)

<tle47k$3jc89$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165687&group=rec.arts.tv#165687

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 12:55:15 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 20:55 UTC

On 11/20/2022 12:26 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> [...]
> holiday TV flicks.
>   The first half mostly involved Rita Moreno (she's secretly Mrs.
> Claus, you see!!) torturing Emily Kinney's party planner character!
>   Kinney's character shows up looking for recommendations on Santas for
> an event she is planning for a crass shopping center executive, but gets
> coercively drafted into taking part in the "Santa bootcamp" by Moreno if
> she wants the Santa recommendation.
>   But this is all a set-up! Morena's Mrs. Claus seeks to unlock
> Kinney's latent Christmas spirit!
>   Of course, this all also involves a cute chef that is Kinney's love
> interest.
>   Anyway, I liked that this mostly "broke genre", at least for the
> first half, when Moreno seems to take glee in putting Kinney's character
> through the Santa ringer!
>
> Where the Crawdads Sing (Netflix) - This was pretty good - pretty much

I forgot about this. Thanks for reminding me. Added to the queue.

> What did you watch?

I had this planned out for a while...and was finally able to watch:

Deep Rising (blu-ray) 1998 horror movie about a group of thieves who
plot the robbery of a luxury cruise ship but when they arrive, they find
almost everyone (with the notable exception of Fanke Janssen) has been
eaten and partially digested by a sea monster. I think this is the
first time I've ever watched this movie. I know when it was first
released in theaters I actively avoided it because I was offended by the
movie's trailer which clearly gave the ending away by showing the lead
(Treat Williams) heroically jumping off the cruise ship with Fanke in
tow while riding a jet ski as the cruise ship explodes behind them.
That image was also on the DVD cover art, and probably the theatrical
poster too! And I know I never rented it from Netflix. The only reason
I even have on disc is because it's on a double feature with a different
movie on the same disc. But as I was watching it, several of the scenes
were very familiar. I'm not sure if they were familiar because they
were in the trailer or because I watched the movie on TV once. I'm
guessing they were all just trailer shots that I still remembered. The
only reason I watched it now is because I read it would pair well with
Leviathan and DeepStar Six and curiosity got the better of me, plus I
already had it sitting on a shelf. I guess it wasn't so bad. The movie
is full of familiar names and faces.

"Leviathan" (PlutoTV) 1989 deep sea sci-fi movie about a team of
deep-sea workers who get exposed to a secret Russian genetic program
that causes them to mutate into sea monsters. It has a pretty solid
cast including Peter Weller, Richard Crenna, Ernie Hudson, Amanda Pays,
and Meg Foster's eyes. I don't think I've watched this since around the
time of the original release. I never had any illusions that it was a
good movie, but I could have sworn it was better than this, especially
with this cast. I've had this movie on a planned watch list for several
months (maybe a year?) and even though at the time I put the list
together I knew I didn't own the movie on disc, I figured that problem
would fix itself by the time I needed to watch it. The blu-ray has been
long out of print, but they announced the movie was being released on 4K
disc this year. And I had plans to just buy the disc, but that release
never materialized. So, I was forced to stream it, and every streaming
service I sampled had the movie in the wrong aspect ratio. I could spit
fire, but I broke down and watched it in the wrong aspect ratio. And
with commercials. :-/

DeepStar Six (Blu-ray) 1989 deep sea sci-fi movie about a team of
deep-sea workers who have to fight a sea monster. I don't think I've
watched this movie since the time of the original release, and this is
definitely the first time I've ever watched it in the proper 2.35 aspect
ratio. It's not a good movie, but I knew that going in and bought the
disc anyway specially so I could watch it as part of this movie marathon.

The Abyss (Starz) 1989 deep sea sci-fi movie directed by James Cameron
and starring Michael Biehn as a soldier who has to contend with Aliens
where the solution is to nuke the site because that's the only way to be
sure. Just like "Leviathan" the movie involves deep-sea workers who
must contend with a storm overhead and just like "DeepStar Six"
decompression issues causes trouble for one of the characters. In spite
of the similarities with "Leviathan" and "Deepstar Six" this is by far
the better movie. I haven't watched it in years, and never with a print
that looks this good. I actually recorded this movie half a year ago
with no intent of ever having to watch the recording because I was
*sure* they'd release the movie on 4K disc (or at a minimum blu-ray) in
time for Avatar 2's release so they could cross promote. I remember
back in the day this movie would air on HD cable but be a grainy pan and
scan image, so this new 2.35 print they are using now is the best this
movie has looked since the theater. Too bad they can't be bothered to
slap it on a disc. And it's a good thing I've been saving this
recording for all of these months because the movie isn't available to
stream anywhere, at least nowhere through Comcast. I have been
encountering this problem a *lot* lately and it just reinforces my
strong preference for physical media over streaming.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)

<1194338846.690677006.891934.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165704&group=rec.arts.tv#165704

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 16:11:02 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 23:11 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 11/20/2022 12:26 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> Obviously should be "Saturday"...:
>>

>> What did you watch?
>>

> I had this planned out for a while...and was finally able to watch:

Hey, I’ve made a marathon out of the abyss and all it’s rip offs too! :-)

I caught part of one of them a couple weeks ago while flipping channels and
realized they had the big Blinky computer from the Seaview (and desk set)
but they had installed it at an angle leaning forward at the top which
actually made it look a whole lot cooler.

> Deep Rising (blu-ray) 1998 horror movie about a group of thieves who
> plot the robbery of a luxury cruise ship but when they arrive, they find
> almost everyone (with the notable exception of Fanke Janssen) has been
> eaten and partially digested by a sea monster. I think this is the
> first time I've ever watched this movie. I know when it was first
> released in theaters I actively avoided it because I was offended by the
> movie's trailer which clearly gave the ending away by showing the lead
> (Treat Williams) heroically jumping off the cruise ship with Fanke in
> tow while riding a jet ski as the cruise ship explodes behind them.
> That image was also on the DVD cover art, and probably the theatrical
> poster too! And I know I never rented it from Netflix. The only reason
> I even have on disc is because it's on a double feature with a different
> movie on the same disc. But as I was watching it, several of the scenes
> were very familiar. I'm not sure if they were familiar because they
> were in the trailer or because I watched the movie on TV once. I'm
> guessing they were all just trailer shots that I still remembered. The
> only reason I watched it now is because I read it would pair well with
> Leviathan and DeepStar Six and curiosity got the better of me, plus I
> already had it sitting on a shelf. I guess it wasn't so bad. The movie
> is full of familiar names and faces.

Really? Other than Treat and Famke the only person I even recognize is the
obnoxious Australian from JAG.

> "Leviathan" (PlutoTV) 1989 deep sea sci-fi movie about a team of
> deep-sea workers who get exposed to a secret Russian genetic program
> that causes them to mutate into sea monsters. It has a pretty solid
> cast including Peter Weller, Richard Crenna,

Richard Crenna must’ve had the worst agent in the world. He’s a fine actor;
I’ve never seen him give a bad or lazy performance. He gets some high key
rolls like playing my buddy Vinny Bugliosi and then the next thing you know
he’s just doing schlock again.

Ernie Hudson, Amanda Pays,
> and Meg Foster's eyes. I don't think I've watched this since around the
> time of the original release. I never had any illusions that it was a
> good movie, but I could have sworn it was better than this, especially
> with this cast. I've had this movie on a planned watch list for several
> months (maybe a year?) and even though at the time I put the list
> together I knew I didn't own the movie on disc, I figured that problem
> would fix itself by the time I needed to watch it. The blu-ray has been
> long out of print, but they announced the movie was being released on 4K
> disc this year. And I had plans to just buy the disc, but that release
> never materialized. So, I was forced to stream it, and every streaming
> service I sampled had the movie in the wrong aspect ratio. I could spit
> fire, but I broke down and watched it in the wrong aspect ratio. And
> with commercials. :-/

Speaking of the wrong aspect ratio, Syfy channel was running King Kong 2005
yesterday in 16:9. I flipped on a streamer of it in the correct aspect
ratio (2.4) just to see how badly they butchered it and was amazed to see
that they were the same image side to side and the “correct“ aspect ratio
was just hard matting down the top and bottom.

> DeepStar Six (Blu-ray) 1989 deep sea sci-fi movie about a team of
> deep-sea workers who have to fight a sea monster. I don't think I've
> watched this movie since the time of the original release, and this is
> definitely the first time I've ever watched it in the proper 2.35 aspect
> ratio. It's not a good movie, but I knew that going in and bought the
> disc anyway specially so I could watch it as part of this movie marathon.

With Thom Bray from Riptide! Cindy Pickett! Matt McCoy from those
commercials for Insurance you don’t want to buy! Nia Peeples from Walker!
Miguel Ferrer from NCIS Los Angeles! Greg Evigan from BJ and the Bear and
Nancy Everhard because Ian demands a ginger and does anybody think that’s
her real name?

> The Abyss (Starz) 1989 deep sea sci-fi movie directed by James Cameron
> and starring Michael Biehn as a soldier who has to contend with Aliens
> where the solution is to nuke the site because that's the only way to be
> sure. Just like "Leviathan" the movie involves deep-sea workers who
> must contend with a storm overhead and just like "DeepStar Six"
> decompression issues causes trouble for one of the characters. In spite
> of the similarities with "Leviathan" and "Deepstar Six" this is by far
> the better movie.

I’ve always thought they could have dropped the aliens entirely and
probably made an even better movie out of it.

I haven't watched it in years, and never with a print
> that looks this good. I actually recorded this movie half a year ago
> with no intent of ever having to watch the recording because I was
> *sure* they'd release the movie on 4K disc (or at a minimum blu-ray) in
> time for Avatar 2's release so they could cross promote. I remember
> back in the day this movie would air on HD cable but be a grainy pan and
> scan image, so this new 2.35 print they are using now is the best this
> movie has looked since the theater. Too bad they can't be bothered to
> slap it on a disc. And it's a good thing I've been saving this
> recording for all of these months because the movie isn't available to
> stream anywhere, at least nowhere through Comcast. I have been
> encountering this problem a *lot* lately and it just reinforces my
> strong preference for physical media over streaming.

When I first saw this in the theater (yes I am that old) it had been
released without finishing it. All the special effects with the giant waves
and such weren’t there. Years later they finally did that for the special
edition whole video. But I don’t know what resolution they completed it out
so it may be that there is no 4K master available and they have to redo it
from scratch like they did with Star Trek the motion picture Directors cut.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)

<tleifs$3kik5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165710&group=rec.arts.tv#165710

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 16:58:18 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 00:58 UTC

On 11/20/2022 3:11 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>> On 11/20/2022 12:26 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>>> Obviously should be "Saturday"...:
>>>

>>> What did you watch?
>>>

>> I had this planned out for a while...and was finally able to watch:
>>

> Hey, I’ve made a marathon out of the abyss and all it’s rip offs too! :-)

This was my first time watching them back to back. It never even
crossed my mind to pair them before. I *think* it might have been
someone in this group who suggested the idea.

> I caught part of one of them a couple weeks ago while flipping channels and
> realized they had the big Blinky computer from the Seaview (and desk set)
> but they had installed it at an angle leaning forward at the top which
> actually made it look a whole lot cooler.
>

>> Deep Rising (blu-ray) 1998 horror movie about a group of thieves who
>> plot the robbery of a luxury cruise ship but when they arrive, they find
>> almost everyone (with the notable exception of Fanke Janssen) has been
>> eaten and partially digested by a sea monster. I think this is the
>> first time I've ever watched this movie. I know when it was first
>> released in theaters I actively avoided it because I was offended by the
>> movie's trailer which clearly gave the ending away by showing the lead
>> (Treat Williams) heroically jumping off the cruise ship with Fanke in
>> tow while riding a jet ski as the cruise ship explodes behind them.
>> That image was also on the DVD cover art, and probably the theatrical
>> poster too! And I know I never rented it from Netflix. The only reason
>> I even have on disc is because it's on a double feature with a different
>> movie on the same disc. But as I was watching it, several of the scenes
>> were very familiar. I'm not sure if they were familiar because they
>> were in the trailer or because I watched the movie on TV once. I'm
>> guessing they were all just trailer shots that I still remembered. The
>> only reason I watched it now is because I read it would pair well with
>> Leviathan and DeepStar Six and curiosity got the better of me, plus I
>> already had it sitting on a shelf. I guess it wasn't so bad. The movie
>> is full of familiar names and faces.
>
> Really? Other than Treat and Famke the only person I even recognize is the
> obnoxious Australian from JAG.

In addition to Treat and Famke the cast includes Anthony Heald as a
villain, along with Wes Studi, Clifton Powell, Cliff Curtis and Djimon
Hounsou as henchmen.

>> "Leviathan" (PlutoTV) 1989 deep sea sci-fi movie about a team of
>> deep-sea workers who get exposed to a secret Russian genetic program
>> that causes them to mutate into sea monsters. It has a pretty solid
>> cast including Peter Weller, Richard Crenna,
>
> Richard Crenna must’ve had the worst agent in the world. He’s a fine actor;
> I’ve never seen him give a bad or lazy performance. He gets some high key
> rolls like playing my buddy Vinny Bugliosi and then the next thing you know
> he’s just doing schlock again.
>

> Ernie Hudson, Amanda Pays,
>> and Meg Foster's eyes. I don't think I've watched this since around the
>> time of the original release. I never had any illusions that it was a
>> good movie, but I could have sworn it was better than this, especially
>> with this cast. I've had this movie on a planned watch list for several
>> months (maybe a year?) and even though at the time I put the list
>> together I knew I didn't own the movie on disc, I figured that problem
>> would fix itself by the time I needed to watch it. The blu-ray has been
>> long out of print, but they announced the movie was being released on 4K
>> disc this year. And I had plans to just buy the disc, but that release
>> never materialized. So, I was forced to stream it, and every streaming
>> service I sampled had the movie in the wrong aspect ratio. I could spit
>> fire, but I broke down and watched it in the wrong aspect ratio. And
>> with commercials. :-/
>
> Speaking of the wrong aspect ratio, Syfy channel was running King Kong 2005
> yesterday in 16:9. I flipped on a streamer of it in the correct aspect
> ratio (2.4) just to see how badly they butchered it and was amazed to see
> that they were the same image side to side and the “correct“ aspect ratio
> was just hard matting down the top and bottom.
>

>> DeepStar Six (Blu-ray) 1989 deep sea sci-fi movie about a team of
>> deep-sea workers who have to fight a sea monster. I don't think I've
>> watched this movie since the time of the original release, and this is
>> definitely the first time I've ever watched it in the proper 2.35 aspect
>> ratio. It's not a good movie, but I knew that going in and bought the
>> disc anyway specially so I could watch it as part of this movie marathon.
>>

> With Thom Bray from Riptide! Cindy Pickett! Matt McCoy from those
> commercials for Insurance you don’t want to buy! Nia Peeples from Walker!
> Miguel Ferrer from NCIS Los Angeles!

That's Miguel Ferrer from RoboCop! His death scene at the end is pretty
much the only thing I remembered about this movie.

Greg Evigan from BJ and the Bear

That's Greg Evigan from TekWar!

and
> Nancy Everhard because Ian demands a ginger and does anybody think that’s
> her real name?
>

>> The Abyss (Starz) 1989 deep sea sci-fi movie directed by James Cameron
>> and starring Michael Biehn as a soldier who has to contend with Aliens
>> where the solution is to nuke the site because that's the only way to be
>> sure. Just like "Leviathan" the movie involves deep-sea workers who
>> must contend with a storm overhead and just like "DeepStar Six"
>> decompression issues causes trouble for one of the characters. In spite
>> of the similarities with "Leviathan" and "Deepstar Six" this is by far
>> the better movie.
>
> I’ve always thought they could have dropped the aliens entirely and
> probably made an even better movie out of it.

You know, that could work. But since aliens are in it, I really,
*really* hope Cameron sticks them in Avatar as a cameo. The second
movie does take place on a water planet...

> I haven't watched it in years, and never with a print
>> that looks this good. I actually recorded this movie half a year ago
>> with no intent of ever having to watch the recording because I was
>> *sure* they'd release the movie on 4K disc (or at a minimum blu-ray) in
>> time for Avatar 2's release so they could cross promote. I remember
>> back in the day this movie would air on HD cable but be a grainy pan and
>> scan image, so this new 2.35 print they are using now is the best this
>> movie has looked since the theater. Too bad they can't be bothered to
>> slap it on a disc. And it's a good thing I've been saving this
>> recording for all of these months because the movie isn't available to
>> stream anywhere, at least nowhere through Comcast. I have been
>> encountering this problem a *lot* lately and it just reinforces my
>> strong preference for physical media over streaming.
>
> When I first saw this in the theater (yes I am that old) it had been
> released without finishing it. All the special effects with the giant waves
> and such weren’t there.

Sounds like a test screening. I now I've seen the special edition
version once or twice. I think that's the version they released on the
nonanamorphic (yet THX certified) DVD back in the day.

Years later they finally did that for the special
> edition whole video. But I don’t know what resolution they completed it out
> so it may be that there is no 4K master available and they have to redo it
> from scratch like they did with Star Trek the motion picture Directors cut.

Here's an article talking about it:
https://www.darkhorizons.com/cameron-offers-the-abyss-4k-blu-update/

But speaking of the Star Trek Motion picture they recently released a a
new set that includes the theatrical version, the director's cut and a
"special longer version" where they fixed some continuity issues with
Kirk's space walk scene. The reviews have been great for all the new
Star Trek 4K discs, but I'm using every ounce of willpower to hold off
watching them until the release all the movies.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)

<tlemuu$3krqj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165712&group=rec.arts.tv#165712

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 18:14:57 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 02:14 UTC

On 11/20/2022 4:58 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> [...]
>> her real name?
>>

>>> The Abyss (Starz) 1989 deep sea sci-fi movie directed by James Cameron
>>> and starring Michael Biehn as a soldier who has to contend with Aliens
>>> where the solution is to nuke the site because that's the only way to be
>>> sure.  Just like "Leviathan" the movie involves deep-sea workers who
>>> must contend with a storm overhead and just like "DeepStar Six"
>>> decompression issues causes trouble for one of the characters.  In spite
>>> of the similarities with "Leviathan" and "Deepstar Six" this is by far
>>> the better movie.
>>
>> I’ve always thought they could have dropped the aliens entirely and
>> probably made an even better movie out of it.
>>

> You know, that could work.  But since aliens are in it, I really,
> *really* hope Cameron sticks them in Avatar as a cameo.  The second
> movie does take place on a water planet...

I think its supposed to still take place on Pandora, just a different
part of the planet. 3 is likely to be the same.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)

<1163665922.690692368.120297.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165715&group=rec.arts.tv#165715

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 20:00:37 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 03:00 UTC

<tlf7lk$3olth$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165724&group=rec.arts.tv#165724

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 23:00:04 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 07:00 UTC

On 11/20/2022 7:00 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

snip

>> Years later they finally did that for the special
>>> edition whole video. But I don’t know what resolution they completed it out
>>> so it may be that there is no 4K master available and they have to redo it
>>> from scratch like they did with Star Trek the motion picture Directors cut.
>>>

>> Here's an article talking about it:
>> https://www.darkhorizons.com/cameron-offers-the-abyss-4k-blu-update/
>>

>> But speaking of the Star Trek Motion picture they recently released a a
>> new set that includes the theatrical version, the director's cut and a
>> "special longer version" where they fixed some continuity issues with
>> Kirk's space walk scene. The reviews have been great for all the new
>> Star Trek 4K discs, but I'm using every ounce of willpower to hold off
>> watching them until the release all the movies.
>>
>> Here's a full review of the new Motion picture release:
>> https://thedigitalbits.com/item/star-trek-tmp-de-complete-adventure-4k-uhd-2022
>>

> I worked on it. It was the most miserable experience I’ve had for a studio
> that wasn’t Disney.

Can you spill the details?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)

<599577825.690723515.901745.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165738&group=rec.arts.tv#165738

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 04:53:12 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 11:53 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 11/20/2022 7:00 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>>>>>>

> snip
>>>

>>> Years later they finally did that for the special
>>>>

>>> Here's an article talking about it:
>>> https://www.darkhorizons.com/cameron-offers-the-abyss-4k-blu-update/
>>>

>>> But speaking of the Star Trek Motion picture they recently released a a
>>> new set that includes the theatrical version, the director's cut and a
>>> "special longer version" where they fixed some continuity issues with
>>> Kirk's space walk scene. The reviews have been great for all the new
>>> Star Trek 4K discs, but I'm using every ounce of willpower to hold off
>>> watching them until the release all the movies.
>>>
>>> Here's a full review of the new Motion picture release:
>>> https://thedigitalbits.com/item/star-trek-tmp-de-complete-adventure-4k-uhd-2022
>>>

>> I worked on it. It was the most miserable experience I’ve had for a studio
>> that wasn’t Disney.
>>

> Can you spill the details?

They claimed recently the NDA is permanent.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)

<UBI20221119@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165746&group=rec.arts.tv#165746

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 04:30:40 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 09:30 UTC

In article <tle2gv$3j9jj$1@dont-email.me>, IJBall@mac.invalid wrote:

>What did you watch?

Not much, or least nothing I can remember.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)

<2sgnnhl429ctv7g0m4kf7hrka205fp2jf8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165770&group=rec.arts.tv#165770

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 13:30:15 -0500
 by: shawn - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 18:30 UTC

On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 04:53:12 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>>>>>>>

>> snip

>>> I worked on it. It was the most miserable experience I’ve had for a studio
>>> that wasn’t Disney.
>>>

>> Can you spill the details?
>>

>They claimed recently the NDA is permanent

I can claim that I'm the ruler of the world. Doesn't make it so.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)

<tlggv2$3rpof$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165772&group=rec.arts.tv#165772

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 18:44:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 18:44 UTC

>On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 04:53:12 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>>>>>>>>

>>> snip

>completed it out
>Directors cut.

>https://thedigitalbits.com/item/star-trek-tmp-de-complete-adventure-4k-uhd-2022

>>> Can you spill the details?
>>>

>>They claimed recently the NDA is permanent
>
>I can claim that I'm the ruler of the world. Doesn't make it so.

Hail shawn!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-11-19 (Saturday)

<878637540.690754075.299603.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165786&group=rec.arts.tv#165786

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 13:11:05 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 20:11 UTC

> On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 04:53:12 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>>>>>>>>

>>> snip

>>> Can you spill the details?
>>>

>> They claimed recently the NDA is permanent
>
> I can claim that I'm the ruler of the world. Doesn't make it so.

Of course not but this guy used to be a friend.

The stupidest NDA I ever saw was at fox animation where they had a sign in
sheet, just a standard bunch of lines at the reception desk, and it had
some NDA language at the top or possibly even on the back or both Saying
that by them letting you in you agree to an NDA to never talk about it.
They claim they’re lawyers came up with that and that it’s a valid NDA
contract. Of course it was completely meaningless in so many ways. I think
I was the only one who ever read the damn thing. You can’t have a contract
when you don’t give the other person a copy. They weren’t giving you some
sort of value by letting you walk past the front desk. There was just
nothing enforceable about it.