From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: CNN has the GALL to ask who is reponsible for gun crimes
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 16:24:53 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 16:24 UTC

On Nov 20, 2022 at 6:25:24 AM PST, "RichA" <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:

> Then they trot out the usual liberal suspects with ridiculous ideas on how to
> combat gun crimes. I particularly like the idea of "banning" bump-stocks
> after one lone nutjob used one, as if that will impact anything.
> Meanwhile, you want to control gun crime, you JAIL for LIFE anyone committing
> a felony. This would eliminate 70% of people who go on to use guns in
> violent situations BEFORE they do it. Almost every violent criminal was
> violent prior to using a gun.
>

> https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/12/opinions/gun-violence-crime-solutions-roundup/index.html

Except the same leftists that are all for gun control and confiscation refuse
to prosecute gun crime. They constantly push for harsher gun laws and then
won't even prosecute violations of the gun laws we already have.

Example: Our leftist district attorney George Gascon is relentless in his
support for more and more restrictive gun laws that come with more serious
punishment for violation, but on his first day in office he issued a series of
directives, one of which was to forbid ADAs from charging gun enhancements.
Which means if you use a gun to commit your crime, you used to get extra years
tacked on to your sentence. No more. Robbing a store with or without a gun
gets the same punishment under Gascon.

You see, if they strictly enforce gun laws, they'll constantly be putting
thousands of black guys in prison. And that's no bueno in our current PC
climate. So we get this bizarre paradox where the same people who are
constantly screaming about gun bans and confiscation and "common sense gun
control" seem to also have no interest in punishing anyone who misuses a gun.

Example #2: Washington, D.C. Set to Lower Penalties for Carrying Without a
Permit, Felon in Possession

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/washington-d-c-set-to-lower-penalties-for-carrying-without-a-permit-felon-in-possession/

This is apparently what happens when rabidly anti-gun blue city governments
come full circle. Washington, D.C., if you'll remember, used to ban handgun
ownership, even within a person's own home. Lawfully owned long guns were
required to be stored unloaded and either disassembled or "bound by a trigger
lock".

That, after all, is how we got the Heller decision.

My, how things have changed. We now live in a time of "equity", zero bail,
non-prosecuted offenses, and decarceration. Prosecuting law-breakers is
currently seen as a white supremacist act that's steeped in systemic racism.

That's what has prompted the District of Columbia city council to decide, in
all of its fashionably "progressive" wisdom, to reduce the penalties for a
range of violent crimes in addition to carrying a gun without a permit or
being a felon in possession of a firearm.

A faction of the Council actually wanted to increase the penalties for the
offenses. But the majority on the Council who are farther to the left weren't
buying it. From the Washington Post...

The debate Tuesday focused on an amendment proposed
by council member Brooke Pinto (D-Ward 2) that would
have raised the maximum sentences for carrying a dangerous
weapon and unauthorized possession of a firearm. Pinto's
amendment would have treated the violations as Class 8
felonies, which carry a maximum possible sentence of four
years in prison; the legislation classifies those crimes as
Class 9 felonies, which carry a maximum possible sentence
of two years in prison.

Council member Mary M. Cheh (D-Ward 3) said the council
should send a strong message, given the state of crime in the
city. "Everybody knows we are awash in guns and gun violence.
We have residents being shot almost every day, including
children," she said. "We have shootouts in the street. And this
is not a time, I don't think, to lessen penalties for gun possession."

But the amendment did not find broad support. Three members--
Pinto, Cheh and Vincent C. Gray (D-Ward 7)-- voted for it. Ten
voted against. Charles Allen (D-Ward 6), who chairs the council's
public safety committee, said that the amendment was not based
on any data or evidence that it would improve safety and that only
a tiny percentage of defendants sentenced for carrying a
dangerous weapon or unauthorized possession of a firearm get
more than two years.

Besides the fact that few people actually got the maximum penalty, there's the
whole equity aspect of the change.

"For supporters of this amendment, I hear you saying we need
to raise penalties to meet this moment, to send a message.
But I ask you to show your work," Allen said. "At some point,
this council needs to reckon with what it means to have one of
the highest incarceration rates per capita in the free world
and yet endure this kind of violence."

Jinwoo Charles Park, executive director of the D.C. Criminal
Code Reform Commission, said in a letter to the council
Monday that the bill should not be amended to increase the
penalty classifications. Doing so, he said, would exacerbate
racial disparities in incarceration.

"Increases in the average sentence for these offenses would
have a disproportionate effect on African American defendants,"
Park said. "Although it is likely that only a small percentage of
defendants would be sentenced to the maximum penalties,
changing the penalty classifications could result in an increase
in the average sentence for these offenses."

So, along with reducing the penalties for offenses like burglaries,
carjackings, and robberies, the City Council's unanimously-passed criminal
code revision also reduces the penalties for carrying without a permit and
felon in possession.

Think of it as constitutional carry light.

The changes still require the signature of D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser to become
law, and she isn't a fan of the reductions to the firearms-related penalties.

Bowser said in a letter to Council Chairman Phil Mendelson (D) that she
opposed the proposal to weaken what she termed "already lenient sentencing for
gun possession" by reducing the current penalties for carrying a pistol
without a license and being a felon in possession of a gun

If the mayor signs the code revision into law-- which she's expected to do--
D.C. will have made carrying a gun without a permit a misdemeanor. That's a
relatively short hop, skip, and a jump from the district joining 25 states in
removing all permitting requirements and making the nation's capital a
constitutional carry zone.

Now that is progress we can believe in.

Re: CNN has the GALL to ask who is reponsible for gun crimes

<tle2gh$6ja$4@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165680&group=rec.arts.tv#165680

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 14:25:53 -0600
 by: trotsky - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 20:25 UTC

On 11/20/22 10:24 AM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2022 at 6:25:24 AM PST, "RichA" <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Then they trot out the usual liberal suspects with ridiculous ideas on how to
>> combat gun crimes. I particularly like the idea of "banning" bump-stocks
>> after one lone nutjob used one, as if that will impact anything.
>> Meanwhile, you want to control gun crime, you JAIL for LIFE anyone committing
>> a felony. This would eliminate 70% of people who go on to use guns in
>> violent situations BEFORE they do it. Almost every violent criminal was
>> violent prior to using a gun.
>>

>> https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/12/opinions/gun-violence-crime-solutions-roundup/index.html
>
> Except the same leftists that are all for gun control and confiscation refuse
> to prosecute gun crime. They constantly push for harsher gun laws and then
> won't even prosecute violations of the gun laws we already have.
>
> Example: Our leftist district attorney George Gascon is relentless in his
> support for more and more restrictive gun laws that come with more serious
> punishment for violation, but on his first day in office he issued a series of
> directives, one of which was to forbid ADAs from charging gun enhancements.
> Which means if you use a gun to commit your crime, you used to get extra years
> tacked on to your sentence. No more. Robbing a store with or without a gun
> gets the same punishment under Gascon.
>
> You see, if they strictly enforce gun laws, they'll constantly be putting
> thousands of black guys in prison. And that's no bueno in our current PC
> climate. So we get this bizarre paradox where the same people who are
> constantly screaming about gun bans and confiscation and "common sense gun
> control" seem to also have no interest in punishing anyone who misuses a gun.
>
> Example #2: Washington, D.C. Set to Lower Penalties for Carrying Without a
> Permit, Felon in Possession

LOL. Kyle Shittenhouse murdered three people and was exonerated by
right wing assholes. You're only capable of spewing horseshit, I guess.