Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 17:07:14 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: There is no cloud. It's just someone else's computer
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Thu, 24 Nov 2022 01:07 UTC

On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 3:04:33 PM UTC-5, thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN wrote:
> There is no cloud. It's just someone else's computer
>

> Replacing all instances of the word "cloud" with "somebody else's computer" might make organisations stop and think about the security implications of cloud computing.
> http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/2316368/we-should-replace-the-word-cloud-with-somebody-elses-computer-says-security-expert
>

> a common solution for using a personal cloud is to create a home-made cloud system by connecting an external USB hard drive to a Wi-Fi router. This enables both wired and wireless computers to access the USB hard drive and use it for storage or for retrieving files a user needs to share on the network[12] thereby acting like a cloud.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_cloud#Home-made_clouds
>

> Home-made clouds
> http://www.cnet.com/how-to/share-an-external-hard-drive-over-a-wi-fi-network/

Every now and again a company decides to remind us that many of the digital products we’ve paid for aren’t really ours to keep forever.. More than a decade ago, Amazon caught flak for (somewhat ironically) removing copies of George Orwell’s 1984 from Kindle users’ devices. When Microsoft stopped selling eBooks a few years ago, the company also killed your ability to read books you’d already paid for (although at least Microsoft issued refunds).

And now the company that recently acquired the rights to the Deus Ex video game franchise is not only removing Deus Ex Go game from mobile app stores… it’s also letting paying customers know that the game will stop working altogether next year.

https://liliputing.com/lilbits-deus-ex-goes-away-framework-chromebook-reviews-and-new-phones/

TAGS: netflix: somebody else's computer - PLEX: it's mine, all mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTxQ601mlAY