From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: WALKER:INDEPENDENCE - "The Owl and the Arrow" (ep. #7): 11-17-2022
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 06:40:35 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 14:40 UTC

Again, no spoiler space, though the following definitely does contain
"spoilers"...:

Walker: Independence (recorded) - "The Owl and the Arrow" (ep. #7).
This episode was filled with so much stupid that it was impossible
to ignore!!
I had forgotten that Calian had been arrested for Francis Reyes'
murder at the end of the previous ep. - it was unclear from the
previous episode, but Reyes was found with Calian's arrow in him.
Conveniently, Calian can't remember what happened... Of course, when we
ultimately find out that Calian was hit over the head and knocked
unconscious - uh, shouldn't Calian have *easily* *figured that out*?!
The *headache* from that would have been a dead giveaway!! (Like,
*duh*!!)
This whole thing is writer contrivance.
More annoyingly, the entire episode acts like Tom Davidson hasn't
been stabbed - it seems to be forgotten through long stretches of the
episode, and Davidson acts totally normal, which would almsot certainly
be impossible - until the contrived cliffhanger ending, when they bring
Davidson's grievous stabbing back with a vengeance.
Another writer contrivance.
Lucia and Mrs. Reyes return from their convenient "trip" from the
last episode, and arrive to find Francis dead. Francis' hotheaded son
Luis is out for blood. The town is all too ready to "hang the indian",
despite Calian's years of service to the town.
Abby, who has never set foot in a law school, insists upon being
Calian's defense counsel, despite Sheriff Davidson warning her that
it's a bad idea.
Kate discovers that her Pinkerton handler has been playing footsies
with Davidson. She threatens him, and coerces the truth out of him -
the Pinkertons are now working for the railroad. Kate quits in disgust,
vowing to stay in Independence to clean up the town. (Uh, what is Kate
going to do for money?! And why does she even care?!!)
They get to the trial *the next day* - even in the Old West, I doubt
trials were that quick!! Despite the case being circumstantial, and
with no direct witnesses, the judge convicts Calian, who is to be
hanged the same day!! (Another Western staple that I doubt is accurate.)
Hoyt figures out that Luis Reyes is acting weird, and gets Luis to
confess that he accidentally shot his father in a scuffle, and then
knocked out Calian and stole Calian's arrow to cover up the crime and
frame Calian. Gus overhears this, and finds the bullet in Francis
Reyes' corpse.
In YA contrivance, Sheriff Davidson refuses to hang Calian even
*before* Hoyt and Gus show up with the evidence! Um, why?! Why would
Davidson care?! Why are they trying to show Davidson with a conscience
all of a sudden?!!
Calian is off the hook. The episode kind of acts like he's leaving
town, but he's in the teaser for the next episode(?!).
At the end, Abby find Davidson collapsed from his stabbing wound,
and pleading for help - Will Abby help him, or let the man who murdered
her husband rigtheously die?!! CLIFFHANGER!!
This was the "winter finale" - we won't get new episodes of this
show until January 2023... Next episode: Abby's sister shows up in
town!! (I didn't recognize the actress...)

Re: WALKER:INDEPENDENCE - "The Owl and the Arrow" (ep. #7): 11-17-2022

<tmb7qv$2sj65$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=166926&group=rec.arts.tv#166926

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2022 21:54:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 1 Dec 2022 21:54 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>Again, no spoiler space, though the following definitely does contain
>"spoilers"...:

I watched this a few days ago; forgot to post a followup.

I thought this was utter crap...

>Walker: Independence (recorded) - "The Owl and the Arrow" (ep. #7).
> This episode was filled with so much stupid that it was impossible
>to ignore!!

.... and I see you did too.

> I had forgotten that Calian had been arrested for Francis Reyes'
>murder at the end of the previous ep. - it was unclear from the
>previous episode, but Reyes was found with Calian's arrow in him.
>Conveniently, Calian can't remember what happened... Of course, when we
>ultimately find out that Calian was hit over the head and knocked
>unconscious - uh, shouldn't Calian have *easily* *figured that out*?!
>The *headache* from that would have been a dead giveaway!! (Like,
>*duh*!!)
> This whole thing is writer contrivance.

I thought it was going to be he was dosed with some drug.

> More annoyingly, the entire episode acts like Tom Davidson hasn't
>been stabbed - it seems to be forgotten through long stretches of the
>episode, and Davidson acts totally normal, which would almsot certainly
>be impossible - until the contrived cliffhanger ending, when they bring
>Davidson's grievous stabbing back with a vengeance.
> Another writer contrivance.

Why exactly was he so desperate to keep the stabbing secret?

And the deadly bullet injury to the retired sheriff? Completely dropped
plot point!

> Lucia and Mrs. Reyes return from their convenient "trip" from the
>last episode, and arrive to find Francis dead. Francis' hotheaded son
>Luis is out for blood. The town is all too ready to "hang the indian",
>despite Calian's years of service to the town.
> Abby, who has never set foot in a law school, insists upon being
>Calian's defense counsel, despite Sheriff Davidson warning her that
>it's a bad idea.

She's qualified to be a tv defense counsel in which she fails to advise
her client to stop making statements against interest during police
interviews.

> Kate discovers that her Pinkerton handler has been playing footsies
>with Davidson. She threatens him, and coerces the truth out of him -
>the Pinkertons are now working for the railroad. Kate quits in disgust,
>vowing to stay in Independence to clean up the town. (Uh, what is Kate
>going to do for money?! And why does she even care?!!)

Fine. I couldn't tell whom the Pinkterton had contacted at the end of
the previous episode. Other people said it was Tom Davidson. I thought
perhaps it was the mysterious man I assume stabbed Davidson. The two men
were in the background and I had trouble seeing who they were.

> They get to the trial *the next day* - even in the Old West, I doubt
>trials were that quick!! Despite the case being circumstantial, and
>with no direct witnesses, the judge convicts Calian, who is to be
>hanged the same day!! (Another Western staple that I doubt is accurate.)

No one had even looked at the body.

> Hoyt figures out that Luis Reyes is acting weird, and gets Luis to
>confess that he accidentally shot his father in a scuffle, and then
>knocked out Calian and stole Calian's arrow to cover up the crime and
>frame Calian. Gus overhears this, and finds the bullet in Francis
>Reyes' corpse.

Where the hell was this crap story line that the father blamed Luis for
the cattle rustling allegedly organized by the Davidsons (none of whom
we've ever seen) based on what Hoyt and Callian told him last week?
Where the hell was that story line?

> In YA contrivance, Sheriff Davidson refuses to hang Calian even
>*before* Hoyt and Gus show up with the evidence! Um, why?! Why would
>Davidson care?! Why are they trying to show Davidson with a conscience
>all of a sudden?!!

No kidding, considering in prior episodes, Davidson was responsible for
deaths of a henchman of his and an ally. Calian is an enemy.

> Calian is off the hook. The episode kind of acts like he's leaving
>town, but he's in the teaser for the next episode(?!).
> At the end, Abby find Davidson collapsed from his stabbing wound,
>and pleading for help - Will Abby help him, or let the man who murdered
>her husband rigtheously die?!! CLIFFHANGER!!

How can Tom possibly be saved at this point, given both blood loss and a
major infection having set in? Is Abby going to invent antibiotics and
blood typing?

> This was the "winter finale" - we won't get new episodes of this
>show until January 2023... Next episode: Abby's sister shows up in
>town!! (I didn't recognize the actress...)

We may have crossed the line in which this show has gottn too stupid for
me to watch any more. I'll see how I feel in January given the vast
choice I'll have of much better tv.

Re: WALKER:INDEPENDENCE - "The Owl and the Arrow" (ep. #7): 11-17-2022

<tmbf24$2t5vi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=166940&group=rec.arts.tv#166940

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2022 15:57:56 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Thu, 1 Dec 2022 23:57 UTC

On 2022-12-01 21:54:39 +0000, Adam H. Kerman said:

> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Again, no spoiler space, though the following definitely does contain
>> "spoilers"...:
>
> I watched this a few days ago; forgot to post a followup.
>
> I thought this was utter crap...
>
>> Walker: Independence (recorded) - "The Owl and the Arrow" (ep. #7).
>> This episode was filled with so much stupid that it was impossible
>> to ignore!!
>
> ... and I see you did too.
>
>> [snip]
>> This was the "winter finale" - we won't get new episodes of this
>> show until January 2023... Next episode: Abby's sister shows up in
>> town!! (I didn't recognize the actress...)
>
> We may have crossed the line in which this show has gottn too stupid for
> me to watch any more. I'll see how I feel in January given the vast
> choice I'll have of much better tv.

I'll likely review ep. #2.8 separately, but if there's no followup from
you on it, I'll stick to (likely shorter!) reviews just in the WDYW?
threads after that.

Sidenote: This may be my last broadcast network show - "Stargirl" is
already cancelled, and this one is dead show walking. I can't see me
picking up another broadcast net show. Even picking up a cable TV show
seems like a longshot at this point...

Re: WALKER:INDEPENDENCE - "The Owl and the Arrow" (ep. #7): 11-17-2022

<tmbpqb$30ldc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=166947&group=rec.arts.tv#166947

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 03:01:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 03:01 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>On 2022-12-01 21:54:39 +0000, Adam H. Kerman said:
>>Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>>Again, no spoiler space, though the following definitely does contain
>>>"spoilers"...:

>>I watched this a few days ago; forgot to post a followup.

>>I thought this was utter crap...

>>>Walker: Independence (recorded) - "The Owl and the Arrow" (ep. #7).
>>>This episode was filled with so much stupid that it was impossible
>>>to ignore!!

>>... and I see you did too.

>>>[snip]
>>>This was the "winter finale" - we won't get new episodes of this
>>>show until January 2023... Next episode: Abby's sister shows up in
>>>town!! (I didn't recognize the actress...)

>>We may have crossed the line in which this show has gottn too stupid for
>>me to watch any more. I'll see how I feel in January given the vast
>>choice I'll have of much better tv.

>I'll likely review ep. #2.8 separately, but if there's no followup from
>you on it, I'll stick to (likely shorter!) reviews just in the WDYW?
>threads after that.

I'll tell you what. If you're still watching, I'll still watch.

>Sidenote: This may be my last broadcast network show - "Stargirl" is
>already cancelled, and this one is dead show walking. I can't see me
>picking up another broadcast net show. Even picking up a cable TV show
>seems like a longshot at this point...

I'm watching Professionals and The Winchesters. Professionals really
doesn't count as it's foreign programming, I think from two years ago,
despite the two leads.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: WALKER:INDEPENDENCE - "The Owl and the Arrow" (ep. #7): 11-17-2022