From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Was "Daredevil" the first woke superhero?
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 17:51:59 -0700
 by: David Johnston - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 00:51 UTC

On 2022-12-04 2:22 a.m., RichA wrote:

> By woke I'm referring to the idea of a blind man being a superhero.
> Woke means patronizing a certain disadvantaged group or person in order
> to flatter them with depictions of them or their hoped-for achievements
> in unrealistically-positive situations.

Your definition of "woke" is stupid. Daredevil wasn't written to cater
to blind comic book readers.

Daredevil debuted in 1964. (blind)
Professor X and the Doom Patrol's "Chief" debuted in 1963 (paraplegic)
Doctor Strange debuted in 1963 (crippled hands)
Iron Man debuted in 1963 (heart condition)
Thor debuted in 1962 (crippled leg)
Captain Marvel Junior debuted in 1941 (crippled leg)
Captain America debuted in 1941 (4f due to great depression malnutrition)
Doctor Mid-Night debuted in 1941 (blind in normal daylight)
The Black Bat debuted in 1939 (blind and facially disfigured)