Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 20:09:19 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: The disaster that is wind-powered energy production
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 04:09 UTC

On Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 5:29:25 AM UTC-5, RichA wrote:
> Batteries used to store wind-power generated electricity which are vital because of the variability of wind (and solar) power production:
>
> Consisting of about 50 container-lorry-sized Tesla megapacks parked on a site
> the size of a football field, the plant will be capable of storing enough
> electricity to keep just 1 per cent of Britain's grid going for, er, four
> minutes. Electricity just isn't like carrots or coal - storing it is immensely
> expensive.
>
> https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-tories-wind-power-delusion/

One of my projects this winter is a micro wind turbine generator. Sort of playing around, and keeping it as simple as possible, and low cost. So far I have discovered a DC 'motor' can be used for a DC 'generator'. Just picked up this week at auction, a car motor fan assembly for radiator cooling system (1) as one possible source. Another not yet acquired but will probably produce more wattage if I can find it is the DC motor from an electric bike or hoverboard. Secret is to use motors with permanent magnets (2). Again I'm talking relatively low wattage, probably under 500 watts, more like in the 100 to 300 range. I have already acquired an inverter at low auction price, a thousand watts. The inverter takes the wind generated DC and converts it to AC for home appliances.

There are many obstacles to consider for a small home wind turbine including disturbing the neighbors,and getting the turbine high enough to catch the wind that will produce the desired wattage. Also as you alluded to, battery storage. I have a case of lithium ion phone battery packs I've kept, and might try breaking them down to make several large storage batteries.

This is an experimental project to learn from, before going goliath scale turbine. But there is quite a lot to read, research and learn, so winter will go fast.

(1) Actually bought two similar ones, new, under $4 each and each assembly has two fan motors
https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-621-392-Radiator-Fan-Assembly/dp/B0074DFTKM

(2) PMG or PMA
https://www.google.com/search?q=permanent+magnet+generator&gs_ivs=1

TAGS: too many projects, not enough time, but never bored