Save the whales. Collect the whole set.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: WEDNESDAY Decried as 'Racist' for Having Black People Play Bullies

SubjectAuthor
* WEDNESDAY Decried as 'Racist' for Having Black People Play BulliesBTR1701
+* Re: WEDNESDAY Decried as 'Racist' for Having Black People Play Bulliesshawn
|`- Re: WEDNESDAY Decried as 'Racist' for Having Black People Play BulliesUbiquitous
+* Re: WEDNESDAY Decried as 'Racist' for Having Black People Play BulliesAdam H. Kerman
|`- Re: WEDNESDAY Decried as 'Racist' for Having Black People Play BulliesUbiquitous
+- Re: WEDNESDAY Decried as 'Racist' for Having Black Peopleanim8rfsk
+- Re: WEDNESDAY Decried as 'Racist' for Having Black People Play BulliesUbiquitous
`- Re: WEDNESDAY Decried as 'Racist' for Having Black People Play BulliesThe Horny Goat

1
WEDNESDAY Decried as 'Racist' for Having Black People Play Bullies

<A-ScnY8s-7Kb7Bb-nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=167119&group=rec.arts.tv#167119

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: WEDNESDAY Decried as 'Racist' for Having Black People Play Bullies
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 15:53:42 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 15:53 UTC

So apparently black people are never allowed to play villains anymore. Which
by implication means only whites can be portrayed as bad or evil.

--------------------------------

https://nypost.com/2022/11/30/tim-burtons-wednesday-called-racist-for-casting-black-actors-as-bullies/

Director Tim Burton and Netflix are under fire from fans who claim the casting
and undertones of the new series WEDNESDAY are racist.

The show-- a dramedy highlighting Wednesday Addams' time as a boarding school
student-- premiered last week to record ratings and mixed reviews.

Critics have taken issue with black actress Joy Sunday playing a mean girl at
Nevermore Academy and black actor Iman Marson portraying a bully and the son
of a corrupt mayor.

The mayor also owns Pilgrim World-- an eyebrow-raising choice considering the
museum celebrates pilgrims and colonizers.

A rep for Burton, who served as a director and executive producer of the
series, dismissed the flak when contacted by The Post for comment Wednesday.
"I'm not forwarding a comment request this silly to Tim," Mike Simpson of WME
responded. "However, apparently Daylight Savings Time is also racist," he
added, including a link to a recent CNN article that argued that DST
disproportionately affects the sleep and health of minority communities.
"WEDNESDAY was shot in Romania where DST is observed. Maybe that’s a better
angle," Simpson concluded.

The Post also contacted Netflix for comment.

Jenna Ortega, who considers herself "75% Mexican and 25% Puerto Rican", leads
the WEDNESDAY cast as the titular character.

"Don’t get me wrong... I love Jenna Ortega and that she's playing Wednesday
but one thing I hate about this show is that why did they make ALL the black
people in this show terrible people?" one viewer tweeted. "Like how did
Netflix see nothing wrong with this? I hate Tim Burton's racist self."

"Me trying to badly to push pass the racist and anti-black undertones in the
Wednesday Addams Netflix show. Like whoever thought making the black man as
the owner of a pilgrim amusement park is literally going to hell," another
sighed in a since-deleted tweet.

This isn't the first time Burton, 64, has been criticized on the subject of
actors of color in his projects. In 2016, while promoting MISS PEREGRINE'S
HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN, star Samuel L. Jackson speculated he was the first
black lead of a Burton film.

The director responded to Jackson's comments in a Bustle interview. "Nowadays,
people are talking about it more," he said regarding film diversity. But
"things either call for things, or they don't."

"I remember back when I was a child watching THE BRADY BUNCH and they started
to get all politically correct. Like, okay, let’s have an Asian child and a
black. I used to get more offended by that than just... I grew up watching
blaxploitation movies, right? And I said, 'that’s great'. I didn’t go like,
'Okay, there should be more white people in these movies.'" Burton added.

Re: WEDNESDAY Decried as 'Racist' for Having Black People Play Bullies

<46umoh9csrp6qnig17u9lauk95aoac8c95@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=167127&group=rec.arts.tv#167127

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 11:28:33 -0500
 by: shawn - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 16:28 UTC

On Sat, 03 Dec 2022 15:53:42 +0000, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>So apparently black people are never allowed to play villains anymore. Which
>by implication means only whites can be portrayed as bad or evil.

They clearly didn't watch the series or they would have seen the
character growth shown by the black actress.
>--------------------------------
>
>https://nypost.com/2022/11/30/tim-burtons-wednesday-called-racist-for-casting-black-actors-as-bullies/
>
>Director Tim Burton and Netflix are under fire from fans who claim the casting
>and undertones of the new series WEDNESDAY are racist.
>
>The show-- a dramedy highlighting Wednesday Addams' time as a boarding school
>student-- premiered last week to record ratings and mixed reviews.
>
>Critics have taken issue with black actress Joy Sunday playing a mean girl at
>Nevermore Academy and black actor Iman Marson portraying a bully and the son
>of a corrupt mayor.
>
>The mayor also owns Pilgrim World-- an eyebrow-raising choice considering the
>museum celebrates pilgrims and colonizers.

A point that is raised within the show.

>A rep for Burton, who served as a director and executive producer of the
>series, dismissed the flak when contacted by The Post for comment Wednesday.
>"I'm not forwarding a comment request this silly to Tim," Mike Simpson of WME
>responded. "However, apparently Daylight Savings Time is also racist," he
>added, including a link to a recent CNN article that argued that DST
>disproportionately affects the sleep and health of minority communities.
>"WEDNESDAY was shot in Romania where DST is observed. Maybe that’s a better
>angle," Simpson concluded.
>
>The Post also contacted Netflix for comment.
>
>Jenna Ortega, who considers herself "75% Mexican and 25% Puerto Rican", leads
>the WEDNESDAY cast as the titular character.
>
>"Don’t get me wrong... I love Jenna Ortega and that she's playing Wednesday
>but one thing I hate about this show is that why did they make ALL the black
>people in this show terrible people?" one viewer tweeted. "Like how did
>Netflix see nothing wrong with this? I hate Tim Burton's racist self."
>
>"Me trying to badly to push pass the racist and anti-black undertones in the
>Wednesday Addams Netflix show. Like whoever thought making the black man as
>the owner of a pilgrim amusement park is literally going to hell," another
>sighed in a since-deleted tweet.
>
>This isn't the first time Burton, 64, has been criticized on the subject of
>actors of color in his projects. In 2016, while promoting MISS PEREGRINE'S
>HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN, star Samuel L. Jackson speculated he was the first
>black lead of a Burton film.
>
>The director responded to Jackson's comments in a Bustle interview. "Nowadays,
>people are talking about it more," he said regarding film diversity. But
>"things either call for things, or they don't."
>
>"I remember back when I was a child watching THE BRADY BUNCH and they started
>to get all politically correct. Like, okay, let’s have an Asian child and a
>black. I used to get more offended by that than just... I grew up watching
>blaxploitation movies, right? And I said, 'that’s great'. I didn’t go like,
>'Okay, there should be more white people in these movies.'" Burton added.

Re: WEDNESDAY Decried as 'Racist' for Having Black People Play Bullies

<tmfu9j$3clum$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=167130&group=rec.arts.tv#167130

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 16:42:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 16:42 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>So apparently black people are never allowed to play villains anymore. Which
>by implication means only whites can be portrayed as bad or evil.

>--------------------------------

>https://nypost.com/2022/11/30/tim-burtons-wednesday-called-racist-for-casting-black-actors-as-bullies/

>Director Tim Burton and Netflix are under fire from fans who claim the casting
>and undertones of the new series WEDNESDAY are racist.

>The show-- a dramedy highlighting Wednesday Addams' time as a boarding school
>student-- premiered last week to record ratings and mixed reviews.

>Critics have taken issue with black actress Joy Sunday playing a mean girl at
>Nevermore Academy and black actor Iman Marson portraying a bully and the son
>of a corrupt mayor.

bonk

Should this be advertised on the casting notice that no black actors
need apply?

I guess "critics" haven't stopped slamming Hattie McDaniel and all those
other black actors who were regularly cast as servants, many of whom
were portrayed as mean caricatures.

The actors made a good living and lived better than a lot of other
people did, and in real life weren't anything like the characters they
played.

Funny, though, that it's always the "critics" who think somebody else
should be told how to make a living 'cuz media portrayals and
representation are more important than anything else.

Better yet, let's dictate that writers must not use certain types of
characters at all because any portrayal of mean people makes the
audience feel bad about itself. It's going to be difficult to write a
comedy or drama, but that's irrelevant.

>The mayor also owns Pilgrim World-- an eyebrow-raising choice considering the
>museum celebrates pilgrims and colonizers.

Uh, is it supposed to be farce?

The STOOPID, it burns. I can't read any more.

>. . .

Re: WEDNESDAY Decried as 'Racist' for Having Black People Play Bullies

<1384076565.691779744.389628.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=167134&group=rec.arts.tv#167134

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: WEDNESDAY Decried as 'Racist' for Having Black People
Play Bullies
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 10:10:26 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 17:10 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> So apparently black people are never allowed to play villains anymore. Which
by implication means only whites can be portrayed as bad or evil.

> --------------------------------

https://nypost.com/2022/11/30/tim-burtons-wednesday-called-racist-for-casting-black-actors-as-bullies/

> Director Tim Burton and Netflix are under fire from fans who claim the casting
and undertones of the new series WEDNESDAY are racist.

> The show-- a dramedy highlighting Wednesday Addams' time as a boarding school
student-- premiered last week to record ratings and mixed reviews.

> Critics have taken issue with black actress Joy Sunday playing a mean girl at
Nevermore Academy and black actor Iman Marson portraying a bully and the
son
of a corrupt mayor.

I said that in my review of the show. I was amazed that all the black
characters were evil and then suddenly in the later episodes that weren’t
directed by Burton they got personality reversals. Obviously no matter how
much they deny it here the show noticed the problem as well.

> The mayor also owns Pilgrim World-- an eyebrow-raising choice considering the
museum celebrates pilgrims and colonizers.

Well that’s just stupid.

> A rep for Burton, who served as a director and executive producer of the
series, dismissed the flak when contacted by The Post for comment
Wednesday.
"I'm not forwarding a comment request this silly to Tim," Mike
Simpson of WME
responded. "However, apparently Daylight Savings Time is also racist," he
added, including a link to a recent CNN article that argued that DST
disproportionately affects the sleep and health of minority communities.
"WEDNESDAY was shot in Romania where DST is observed. Maybe that’s a better
angle," Simpson concluded.

Maybe this will help finally get rid of DST

> The Post also contacted Netflix for comment.
>
> Jenna Ortega, who considers herself "75% Mexican and 25% Puerto Rican", leads
the WEDNESDAY cast as the titular character.

Hee hee. They called her “titular”

> "Don’t get me wrong... I love Jenna Ortega and that she's playing Wednesday
but one thing I hate about this show is that why did they make ALL the
black
people in this show terrible people?" one viewer tweeted. "Like how
did
Netflix see nothing wrong with this? I hate Tim Burton's racist self."

> "Me trying to badly to push pass the racist and anti-black undertones in the
Wednesday Addams Netflix show. Like whoever thought making the black man as
the owner of a pilgrim amusement park is literally going to hell," another
sighed in a since-deleted tweet.

> This isn't the first time Burton, 64, has been criticized on the subject of
actors of color in his projects. In 2016, while promoting MISS PEREGRINE'S
HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN, star Samuel L. Jackson speculated he was the
first
black lead of a Burton film.

So Burton was criticized for casting a black lead?

> The director responded to Jackson's comments in a Bustle interview. "Nowadays,
people are talking about it more," he said regarding film diversity. But
"things either call for things, or they don't."

You could say the same thing about Fester.

> "I remember back when I was a child watching THE BRADY BUNCH and they started
to get all politically correct. Like, okay, let’s have an Asian child and a
black. I used to get more offended by that than just... I grew up watching
blaxploitation movies, right? And I said, 'that’s great'. I didn’t go like,
'Okay, there should be more white people in these movies.'" Burton added.

Re: WEDNESDAY Decried as 'Racist' for Having Black People Play Bullies

<tmkq1b$3urlc$9@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=167325&group=rec.arts.tv#167325

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 04:30:48 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 09:30 UTC

atropos@mac.com wrote:

> The director responded to Jackson's comments in a Bustle interview.
> "Nowadays, people are talking about it more," he said regarding film
> diversity. But "things either call for things, or they don't."
>
> "I remember back when I was a child watching THE BRADY BUNCH and they
> started to get all politically correct. Like, okay, let's have an Asian
> child and a black.

What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is he babbling about?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: WEDNESDAY Decried as 'Racist' for Having Black People Play Bullies

<tmksij$3v9vc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=167330&group=rec.arts.tv#167330

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 04:30:49 -0500

nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com wrote:

> They clearly didn't watch the series or they would have seen the
> character growth shown by the black actress.

That's almost always the case, just like the outrage over Chappelle's Netflix
show.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: WEDNESDAY Decried as 'Racist' for Having Black People Play Bullies

<tmksom$3v9vc$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=167331&group=rec.arts.tv#167331

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 04:30:50 -0500

ahk@chinet.com wrote:
> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>> The mayor also owns Pilgrim World-- an eyebrow-raising choice considering
>> the museum celebrates pilgrims and colonizers.
>
> Uh, is it supposed to be farce?

Actually, the Pilgrams were severely anti-slavery.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: WEDNESDAY Decried as 'Racist' for Having Black People Play Bullies

<a4e3phtct4viaj26qjp4tjcm2bc11nj8k2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=167730&group=rec.arts.tv#167730

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 02:13:36 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 10:13 UTC

On Sat, 03 Dec 2022 15:53:42 +0000, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>A rep for Burton, who served as a director and executive producer of the
>series, dismissed the flak when contacted by The Post for comment Wednesday.
>"I'm not forwarding a comment request this silly to Tim," Mike Simpson of WME
>responded. "However, apparently Daylight Savings Time is also racist," he
>added, including a link to a recent CNN article that argued that DST
>disproportionately affects the sleep and health of minority communities.
>"WEDNESDAY was shot in Romania where DST is observed. Maybe that’s a better
>angle," Simpson concluded.

If someone is going to make THAT claim I would want to see some
ironclad evidence because THAT suggestion seems preposterous.

Does that mean California or New York is racist since their clocks are
3 hours different from each other?

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: WEDNESDAY Decried as 'Racist' for Having Black People Play Bullies