From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.movies.past-films
Subject: Showtime free preview highlights
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 20:45:22 -0600
 by: super70s - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 02:45 UTC

Some of the most interesting of the 28 or so films I caught this past
weekend during the free Showtime/The Movie Channel preview.

Infinite Storm (2022) Based on a real person, Naomi Watts is a fearless
New Hampshire mountain rescuer with a tragic personal history who helps
another heartbroken soul down a treacherous mountain.

Minari (2020) A family of Korean immigrants travel from California to
Arkansas to find their own slice of the American dream, unfortunately
their only skill is "chicken sexing" -- yes there is actually such a job
title (and those poor doomed male chickies who "don't taste as good" as
the females, such is the way of modern industrial agriculture I guess).

Stillwater (2021) Matt Damon plays an Okie who travels to France
determined to get his estranged daughter, convicted of a murder which
she claims she did not commit, out of jail.

The Mauritanian (2021) Jodie Foster (really beginning to show her age
BTW) plays a New Mexico attorney who signs on to get an alleged 9/11
terrorist, never charged with a crime, out of the horrible Gitmo prison
after 9 years. Based on a true story.

The Circle (2017) A stark warning about how unchecked modern technology
can invade personal privacy with Tom Hanks in a "Steve Jobs"-like role
and Emma Watson as his naive protege.

Wifelike (2022) Interesting futuristic sci-fi yarn with Jonathan Rhys
Meyers who works for an AI corporation and the gorgeous Elena Kampouris
who plays his robotic wife. Could be the No. 1 movie on the "Me Too"
movement hitlist.

Miles Ahead (2015) Don Cheadle (one of my favorite Black actors) stars
in, co-writes and directs this tribute to jazz great Miles Davis. Not a
conventional biopic which is what I was expecting, it actually has a
plot with Ewan McGregor as a Rolling Stone reporter who helps Davis
retrieve a stolen tape of his music.

East Of The Mountains (2021) Excellent drama with Tom Skerritt as a
retired heart surgeon with terminal cancer who travels with his beloved
dog back to his home in rural eastern Washington.

Pleasure (2021) Probably one of the raunchiest movies you'll ever see
that doesn't have a straight X rating, a young Swedish girl named Bella
Cherry travels to Hollywood determined to make it in the world of
"extreme porn."

George & Tammy (2022) Michael Shannon and especially Jessica Chastain
shine in this 6-part series about the famous country music couple,
unfortunately I only got to see two episodes before the free preview
expired.

Blue Collar (1978) I can't believe I've never come across this 1978 gem
until now. The great Paul Schrader writes and directs this late '70s
drama about corruption in a Detroit auto workers union with good acting
from Richard Pryor (not someone I was expecting to see in a straight
drama), Harvey Keitel and Yaphet Kotto.

Re: Showtime free preview highlights

<oM-cnX56wsWrnAf-nZ2dnZfqlJ9h4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168409&group=rec.arts.tv#168409

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Showtime free preview highlights
From: billande...@my-deja.com (Bill Anderson)
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 17:00:38 +0000
 by: Bill Anderson - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 17:00 UTC

Interesting post. Thanks.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog