The difference between waltzes and disco is mostly one of volume. -- T. K.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Reacher season 1

SubjectAuthor
* Reacher season 1Adam H. Kerman
+* Re: Reacher season 1shawn
|`- Re: Reacher season 1Eddie Grove
+* Re: Reacher season 1BTR1701
|+* Re: Reacher season 1A Friend
||`* Re: Reacher season 1BTR1701
|| +* Re: Reacher season 1Adam H. Kerman
|| |`* Re: Reacher season 1anim8rfsk
|| | `- Re: Reacher season 1shawn
|| `* Re: Reacher season 1A Friend
||  `* Re: Reacher season 1BTR1701
||   `- Re: Reacher season 1moviePig
|`- Re: Reacher season 1Adam H. Kerman
+* Re: Reacher season 1Ian J. Ball
|`* Re: Reacher season 1Adam H. Kerman
| `* Re: Reacher season 1Nyssa
|  +* Re: Reacher season 1Adam H. Kerman
|  |+* Re: Reacher season 1anim8rfsk
|  ||`* Re: Reacher season 1Adam H. Kerman
|  || +* Re: Reacher season 1shawn
|  || |`- Re: Reacher season 1anim8rfsk
|  || +* Re: Reacher season 1anim8rfsk
|  || |+- Re: Reacher season 1chromebook test
|  || |`* Re: Reacher season 1shawn
|  || | `* Re: Reacher season 1anim8rfsk
|  || |  `* Re: Reacher season 1shawn
|  || |   `- Re: Reacher season 1anim8rfsk
|  || `- Re: Reacher season 1The Horny Goat
|  |+- Re: Reacher season 1Nyssa
|  |`* Re: Reacher season 1The Horny Goat
|  | +- Re: Reacher season 1suzeeq
|  | `* Re: Reacher season 1Dimensional Traveler
|  |  `* Re: Reacher season 1The Horny Goat
|  |   `- Re: Reacher season 1Dimensional Traveler
|  `* Re: Reacher season 1Dimensional Traveler
|   `* Re: Reacher season 1shawn
|    `* Re: Reacher season 1Ian J. Ball
|     `- Re: Reacher season 1chromebook test
+- Re: Reacher season 1chromebook test
+* Re: Reacher season 1bruce bowser
|`* Re: Reacher season 1suzeeq
| `* Re: Reacher season 1Adam H. Kerman
|  `* Re: Reacher season 1suzeeq
|   `* Re: Reacher season 1shawn
|    `* Re: Reacher season 1Adam H. Kerman
|     `- Re: Reacher season 1shawn
`* Re: Reacher season 1BTR1701
 `- Re: Reacher season 1Ian J. Ball

Pages:12
Reacher season 1

<tnegv2$31erf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168493&group=rec.arts.tv#168493

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Reacher season 1
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 07:05:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 07:05 UTC

I know there have been a number of threads about this show, so sue me.

I'd seen pictures of Alan Ritchson, but damn, whenever he stands next to
another actor, he's enormous. I suppose he's a few inches shorter than
Lee Child's description of Reacher in the novels, but it works. This guy
embodies the character's physicality quite nicely.

I've always liked Willa Fitzgerald, and she's fine in this. I suppose
I'll forgive her for Dare Me. Currie Graham is quite slimey as Kliner,
although even in the novel, he was more of an off-screen character.

As BTR1701 and others observed, this was an extremely faithful
adaptation of Killing Floor with minimal changes.

Entertaining. It sure looked like Ritchson performed all his own fights,
but where would you find a stunt man if he didn't?

Borrowed BluRay set from the library. I'm never subscribing to
streaming.

Re: Reacher season 1

<8ailphpceh9a5bfuuegg0ck6seknlrocdj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168494&group=rec.arts.tv#168494

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Reacher season 1
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 02:20:29 -0500
 by: shawn - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 07:20 UTC

On Thu, 15 Dec 2022 07:05:06 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>I know there have been a number of threads about this show, so sue me.
>
>I'd seen pictures of Alan Ritchson, but damn, whenever he stands next to
>another actor, he's enormous. I suppose he's a few inches shorter than
>Lee Child's description of Reacher in the novels, but it works. This guy
>embodies the character's physicality quite nicely.

He's only 6'2" so he's not really that tall, but he is built like a
house. He just appears to be much bigger because so many of the cast
are closer to 5 feet tall than 6.

>I've always liked Willa Fitzgerald, and she's fine in this. I suppose
>I'll forgive her for Dare Me. Currie Graham is quite slimey as Kliner,
>although even in the novel, he was more of an off-screen character.

I loved her in this show. So I'm sorry that she won't be back as the
story moves on to another town and another problem.

>As BTR1701 and others observed, this was an extremely faithful
>adaptation of Killing Floor with minimal changes.
>
>Entertaining. It sure looked like Ritchson performed all his own fights,
>but where would you find a stunt man if he didn't?

https://www.facebook.com/todorovic.mich/
https://scontent-atl3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/300398191_384901320463053_519523275722267214_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=09cbfe&_nc_ohc=vUyAdmfNevIAX_xYzhE&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.xx&oh=00_AfAVKaN45lKyUR8msYMsmcoxVeX6c3ILaayIZdmvaQvRiQ&oe=639EF2CB
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2454865917873786&set=pb.100068295644731.-2207520000.
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=2815968508430190&set=pb.100068295644731.-2207520000.

Though according to IMDB he only performed as Ritchson's stunt double
in two episodes so most of the work apparently was done by Ritchson.

>Borrowed BluRay set from the library. I'm never subscribing to
>streaming.

Re: Reacher season 1

<87r0x1xgtl.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168495&group=rec.arts.tv#168495

From: eddiegr...@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 23:32:38 -0800
 by: Eddie Grove - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 07:32 UTC

shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> writes:

> On Thu, 15 Dec 2022 07:05:06 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>>I know there have been a number of threads about this show, so sue me.
>>
>>I'd seen pictures of Alan Ritchson, but damn, whenever he stands next to
>>another actor, he's enormous. I suppose he's a few inches shorter than
>>Lee Child's description of Reacher in the novels, but it works. This guy
>>embodies the character's physicality quite nicely.
>
> He's only 6'2" so he's not really that tall, but he is built like a
> house. He just appears to be much bigger because so many of the cast
> are closer to 5 feet tall than 6.

He put on weight to play the part. Still a bit short of 250.

https://www.menshealth.com/entertainment/a39152051/alan-ritchson-jack-reacher-diet-popeyes/

"I put on 30 pounds, which is… Have you ever put on 30 pounds? It’s a
full-time job to eat enough to put on 30 pounds," he said. "I had an
assistant whose only job was to bring me food. It was like a conveyor
belt of smoothies and protein."

Eddie

Re: Reacher season 1

<atropos-9C2087.23453614122022@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168496&group=rec.arts.tv#168496

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 23:45:36 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 07:45 UTC

In article <tnegv2$31erf$1@dont-email.me>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> I know there have been a number of threads about this show, so sue me.
>
> I'd seen pictures of Alan Ritchson, but damn, whenever he stands next to
> another actor, he's enormous. I suppose he's a few inches shorter than
> Lee Child's description of Reacher in the novels, but it works. This guy
> embodies the character's physicality quite nicely.
>
> I've always liked Willa Fitzgerald, and she's fine in this. I suppose
> I'll forgive her for Dare Me. Currie Graham is quite slimey as Kliner,
> although even in the novel, he was more of an off-screen character.
>
> As BTR1701 and others observed, this was an extremely faithful
> adaptation of Killing Floor with minimal changes.

Both the book and the show get so much wrong about counterfeit
investigations that it's hard to even snark it but at least the show
mentions the Secret Service.

Lee Child obviously did a shit-ton of research about the process of how
genuine currency is printed and how counterfeiters try to spoof the real
thing, but he never once mentions the Secret Service in the book
anywhere. Reacher's brother is just a "Treasury employee" and Child
repeatedly refers to the FBI as the primary agency that pursues
counterfeiters. I can't imagine how he could have researched
counterfeiting so extensively and failed to note the central-- and
exclusive-- role the Secret Service plays in all of it.

Re: Reacher season 1

<151220220633221311%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168511&group=rec.arts.tv#168511

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 06:33:22 -0500
 by: A Friend - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 11:33 UTC

In article <atropos-9C2087.23453614122022@news.giganews.com>, BTR1701
<atropos@mac.com> wrote:

> In article <tnegv2$31erf$1@dont-email.me>,
> "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
> > I know there have been a number of threads about this show, so sue me.
> >
> > I'd seen pictures of Alan Ritchson, but damn, whenever he stands next to
> > another actor, he's enormous. I suppose he's a few inches shorter than
> > Lee Child's description of Reacher in the novels, but it works. This guy
> > embodies the character's physicality quite nicely.
> >
> > I've always liked Willa Fitzgerald, and she's fine in this. I suppose
> > I'll forgive her for Dare Me. Currie Graham is quite slimey as Kliner,
> > although even in the novel, he was more of an off-screen character.
> >
> > As BTR1701 and others observed, this was an extremely faithful
> > adaptation of Killing Floor with minimal changes.
>
> Both the book and the show get so much wrong about counterfeit
> investigations that it's hard to even snark it but at least the show
> mentions the Secret Service.
>
> Lee Child obviously did a shit-ton of research about the process of how
> genuine currency is printed and how counterfeiters try to spoof the real
> thing, but he never once mentions the Secret Service in the book
> anywhere. Reacher's brother is just a "Treasury employee" and Child
> repeatedly refers to the FBI as the primary agency that pursues
> counterfeiters. I can't imagine how he could have researched
> counterfeiting so extensively and failed to note the central-- and
> exclusive-- role the Secret Service plays in all of it.

I can easily imagine the Secret Service telling Lee Child to keep them
out of his story. The FBI didn't allow "unauthorized" use of the
agency in fiction for decades.

Re: Reacher season 1

<tnfmcr$34o04$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168540&group=rec.arts.tv#168540

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 17:43:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 17:43 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>I know there have been a number of threads about this show, so sue me.

>>I'd seen pictures of Alan Ritchson, but damn, whenever he stands next to
>>another actor, he's enormous. I suppose he's a few inches shorter than
>>Lee Child's description of Reacher in the novels, but it works. This guy
>>embodies the character's physicality quite nicely.

>>I've always liked Willa Fitzgerald, and she's fine in this. I suppose
>>I'll forgive her for Dare Me. Currie Graham is quite slimey as Kliner,
>>although even in the novel, he was more of an off-screen character.

>>As BTR1701 and others observed, this was an extremely faithful
>>adaptation of Killing Floor with minimal changes.

>Both the book and the show get so much wrong about counterfeit
>investigations that it's hard to even snark it but at least the show
>mentions the Secret Service.

>Lee Child obviously did a shit-ton of research about the process of how
>genuine currency is printed and how counterfeiters try to spoof the real
>thing, but he never once mentions the Secret Service in the book
>anywhere. Reacher's brother is just a "Treasury employee" and Child
>repeatedly refers to the FBI as the primary agency that pursues
>counterfeiters. I can't imagine how he could have researched
>counterfeiting so extensively and failed to note the central-- and
>exclusive-- role the Secret Service plays in all of it.

I saw your comment in the other thread. The points you made about the
expense of removing the ink and the difficulty of feeding currency
already cut into individual bills through another machine made sense.

When I read the novel, the plot sure sounded familiar from a movie script,
but I couldn't remember which one.

Re: Reacher season 1

<atropos-6F38EB.10011615122022@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168548&group=rec.arts.tv#168548

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 10:01:17 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 18:01 UTC

In article <151220220633221311%nope@noway.com>,
A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

> In article <atropos-9C2087.23453614122022@news.giganews.com>, BTR1701
> <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <tnegv2$31erf$1@dont-email.me>,
> > "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I know there have been a number of threads about this show, so sue me.
> > >
> > > I'd seen pictures of Alan Ritchson, but damn, whenever he stands
> > > next to another actor, he's enormous. I suppose he's a few inches
> > > shorter than Lee Child's description of Reacher in the novels, but
> > > it works. This guy embodies the character's physicality quite nicely.
> > >
> > > I've always liked Willa Fitzgerald, and she's fine in this. I suppose
> > > I'll forgive her for Dare Me. Currie Graham is quite slimey as Kliner,
> > > although even in the novel, he was more of an off-screen character.
> > >
> > > As BTR1701 and others observed, this was an extremely faithful
> > > adaptation of Killing Floor with minimal changes.
> >
> > Both the book and the show get so much wrong about counterfeit
> > investigations that it's hard to even snark it but at least the show
> > mentions the Secret Service.
> >
> > Lee Child obviously did a shit-ton of research about the process of how
> > genuine currency is printed and how counterfeiters try to spoof the real
> > thing, but he never once mentions the Secret Service in the book
> > anywhere. Reacher's brother is just a "Treasury employee" and Child
> > repeatedly refers to the FBI as the primary agency that pursues
> > counterfeiters. I can't imagine how he could have researched
> > counterfeiting so extensively and failed to note the central-- and
> > exclusive-- role the Secret Service plays in all of it.
>
> I can easily imagine the Secret Service telling Lee Child to keep them
> out of his story. The FBI didn't allow "unauthorized" use of the
> agency in fiction for decades.

There was no "allowing". There's never been any legal authority for any
police agency in this country to prohibit people from writing about them.

Federal agencies do have limited legal control over depictions of their
seals and logos and the credentials and badges the actors carry. This is
why if you look closely at the FBI seals used in the current Dick Wolf
FBI shows, it's very similar to the real seal but not the real thing.
Compare that to the film SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, which prominently used
the real FBI seal. One production had FBI permission, the other doesn't.

However merely mentioning the FBI or the Secret Service, especially in a
text-based medium? No government agency in the country can tell an
author not to say its name or write about it. That would be a
bright-line violation of the 1st Amendment. And Child's book was written
in 1996, not 1906 when the government could be more heavy-handed and get
away with it. If the Secret Service or any other government agency had
tried to illegally throw its weight around like that in 1996, they'd
have been sued quickly and successfully.

Besides, by 1996, we'd already had a major motion picture from Hollywood
dealing with the Secret Service and counterfeiting-- TO LIVE AND DIE IN
L.A.-- a film that doesn't exactly portray the Secret Service in a
positive light, and that film used the agency, portrayed its agents, and
even used facsimiles of its logos with impunity. If the USSS could get
away with calling up private citizens and saying "You can't mention us
in your story", they would have done it there, not with some novelist no
one had even heard of at that point.

We had a similar situation crop up in 1999 with author Vince Flynn and
his book TRANSFER OF POWER. The book is about a terrorist take-over of
the White House. (A much more sophisticated and realistic story than
those depicted in the more recent Hollywood movies OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN
and WHITE HOUSE DOWN. In fact, some USSS procedures on the White House
complex were actually changed as a result of the security holes pointed
out in Flynn's book.) The problem the Secret Service had with the book
was Flynn's unerringly accurate knowledge of Secret Service techniques,
equipment, procedures, even the informal jargon used among agents. Flynn
also accurately described parts of the White House that are inaccessible
to the public, to include secret doors and tunnels in the complex. Flynn
even got the color of the carpet in the closet of the president's
bedroom correct. The obvious conclusion was that Flynn had a source-- a
current or former agent on the presidential detail-- who fed him all the
info.

The USSS contacted Flynn about it-- not to suppress the book or tell him
he couldn't say that stuff publicly-- but to determine who in the Secret
Service was talking out of turn and take steps to ensure it didn't
continue. Flynn, however, maintained he was just a lucky guesser.

Then there was the famous case of Tom Clancy, who came out of nowhere
with HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER, which had so much quasi-classified and
dead-on accurate info about the U.S. military and its assets that it
caused a minor panic in the Pentagon. So much so that Congress actually
held hearings and subpoenaed Clancy to find out how he got his
information. They were stunned to find out he needed no insider spilling
him info or access to unauthorized facilities. He did it all merely by
pouring over DOD purchasing orders and other open source documents
produced by the vast Defense bureaucracy.

Re: Reacher season 1

<tnfnlt$34o04$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168549&group=rec.arts.tv#168549

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 18:05:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 18:05 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>. . .

>Then there was the famous case of Tom Clancy, who came out of nowhere
>with HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER, which had so much quasi-classified and
>dead-on accurate info about the U.S. military and its assets that it
>caused a minor panic in the Pentagon. So much so that Congress actually
>held hearings and subpoenaed Clancy to find out how he got his
>information. They were stunned to find out he needed no insider spilling
>him info or access to unauthorized facilities. He did it all merely by
>pouring over DOD purchasing orders and other open source documents
>produced by the vast Defense bureaucracy.

I never heard that. Thanks!

As with any classified information, the only people being kept in the
dark are the American taxpayers. It's not like the enemy isn't capable
of analyzing our military.

Re: Reacher season 1

<781288369.692827822.410701.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168568&group=rec.arts.tv#168568

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 13:16:56 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 20:16 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> . . .
>
>> Then there was the famous case of Tom Clancy, who came out of nowhere
>> with HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER, which had so much quasi-classified and
>> dead-on accurate info about the U.S. military and its assets that it
>> caused a minor panic in the Pentagon. So much so that Congress actually
>> held hearings and subpoenaed Clancy to find out how he got his
>> information. They were stunned to find out he needed no insider spilling
>> him info or access to unauthorized facilities. He did it all merely by
>> pouring over DOD purchasing orders and other open source documents
>> produced by the vast Defense bureaucracy.
>
> I never heard that. Thanks!
>
> As with any classified information, the only people being kept in the
> dark are the American taxpayers. It's not like the enemy isn't capable
> of analyzing our military.

I’ve done a lot of educational and industrial films and they always
prohibited us from taking pictures of the antenna arrays on their ships
(except from a great distance) saying that the godless enemy could figure
out what frequencies we used from that.

Re: Reacher season 1

<151220221533440186%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168572&group=rec.arts.tv#168572

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 15:33:44 -0500
 by: A Friend - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 20:33 UTC

In article <atropos-6F38EB.10011615122022@news.giganews.com>, BTR1701
<atropos@mac.com> wrote:

> In article <151220220633221311%nope@noway.com>,
> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <atropos-9C2087.23453614122022@news.giganews.com>, BTR1701
> > <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

> > > Both the book and the show get so much wrong about counterfeit
> > > investigations that it's hard to even snark it but at least the show
> > > mentions the Secret Service.
> > >
> > > Lee Child obviously did a shit-ton of research about the process of how
> > > genuine currency is printed and how counterfeiters try to spoof the real
> > > thing, but he never once mentions the Secret Service in the book
> > > anywhere. Reacher's brother is just a "Treasury employee" and Child
> > > repeatedly refers to the FBI as the primary agency that pursues
> > > counterfeiters. I can't imagine how he could have researched
> > > counterfeiting so extensively and failed to note the central-- and
> > > exclusive-- role the Secret Service plays in all of it.
> >
> > I can easily imagine the Secret Service telling Lee Child to keep them
> > out of his story. The FBI didn't allow "unauthorized" use of the
> > agency in fiction for decades.
>
> There was no "allowing". There's never been any legal authority for any
> police agency in this country to prohibit people from writing about them.

They didn't require legal authority. They'd withhold cooperation and
bad-mouth a project so that others were dissuaded from cooperating.
The nets were worried about consequences to their affiliates' licenses.
Publishers had similar concerns.

Also, we're not talking about journalism here. We're talking about
depictions of federal law-enforcement agencies in pop fiction.

But we are absolutely talking about "allowing."

> Federal agencies do have limited legal control over depictions of their
> seals and logos and the credentials and badges the actors carry. This is
> why if you look closely at the FBI seals used in the current Dick Wolf
> FBI shows, it's very similar to the real seal but not the real thing.
> Compare that to the film SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, which prominently used
> the real FBI seal. One production had FBI permission, the other doesn't.
>
> However merely mentioning the FBI or the Secret Service, especially in a
> text-based medium? No government agency in the country can tell an
> author not to say its name or write about it. That would be a
> bright-line violation of the 1st Amendment.

I refer you (and probably not for the first time) to The Outer Limits
Companion, in which it's mentioned that an FBI agent suddenly became a
GBI agent in one episode, as ABC was unwilling or unable to secure
permission from the real FBI for the reference.

It's naive to think that, in the early 1960s, any U.S. broadcaster was
going to cross Hoover's FBI on this point, bright-line violations
notwithstanding.

Re: Reacher season 1

<tng310$35qjp$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168578&group=rec.arts.tv#168578

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 13:19:28 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 21:19 UTC

On 2022-12-15 07:05:06 +0000, Adam H. Kerman said:

> I know there have been a number of threads about this show, so sue me.
>
> I'd seen pictures of Alan Ritchson, but damn, whenever he stands next to
> another actor, he's enormous. I suppose he's a few inches shorter than
> Lee Child's description of Reacher in the novels, but it works. This guy
> embodies the character's physicality quite nicely.
>
> I've always liked Willa Fitzgerald, and she's fine in this. I suppose
> I'll forgive her for Dare Me. Currie Graham is quite slimey as Kliner,
> although even in the novel, he was more of an off-screen character.
>
> As BTR1701 and others observed, this was an extremely faithful
> adaptation of Killing Floor with minimal changes.
>
> Entertaining. It sure looked like Ritchson performed all his own fights,
> but where would you find a stunt man if he didn't?
>
> Borrowed BluRay set from the library. I'm never subscribing to
> streaming.

Reacher!!

Re: Reacher season 1

<atropos-07C94B.13195815122022@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168579&group=rec.arts.tv#168579

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 13:19:58 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 21:19 UTC

In article <151220221533440186%nope@noway.com>,
A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

> In article <atropos-6F38EB.10011615122022@news.giganews.com>, BTR1701
> <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <151220220633221311%nope@noway.com>,
> > A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

> > > I can easily imagine the Secret Service telling Lee Child to keep them
> > > out of his story. The FBI didn't allow "unauthorized" use of the
> > > agency in fiction for decades.
> >
> > There was no "allowing". There's never been any legal authority for any
> > police agency in this country to prohibit people from writing about them.
>

> They didn't require legal authority. They'd withhold cooperation and
> bad-mouth a project so that others were dissuaded from cooperating.
> The nets were worried about consequences to their affiliates' licenses.
> Publishers had similar concerns.

Sounds like classic chilling effect on speech-- something the Supreme
Court takes a dim view of when instigated by an arm of the government.

> Also, we're not talking about journalism here. We're talking about
> depictions of federal law-enforcement agencies in pop fiction.

Yep. Not sure why that's relevant, however. The 1st Amendment applies
just as forcefully for works of fiction as it does for works of
journalism.

> But we are absolutely talking about "allowing."

> > Federal agencies do have limited legal control over depictions of their
> > seals and logos and the credentials and badges the actors carry. This is
> > why if you look closely at the FBI seals used in the current Dick Wolf
> > FBI shows, it's very similar to the real seal but not the real thing.
> > Compare that to the film SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, which prominently used
> > the real FBI seal. One production had FBI permission, the other doesn't.
> >
> > However merely mentioning the FBI or the Secret Service, especially in a
> > text-based medium? No government agency in the country can tell an
> > author not to say its name or write about it. That would be a
> > bright-line violation of the 1st Amendment.
>
> I refer you (and probably not for the first time) to The Outer Limits
> Companion, in which it's mentioned that an FBI agent suddenly became a
> GBI agent in one episode, as ABC was unwilling or unable to secure
> permission from the real FBI for the reference.

ABC never needed permission. And if they changed their script due to
illegal pressure from the FBI, that only means the FBI was violating the
civil rights of American citizens, not that ABC needed permission to
tell FBI stories.

> It's naive to think that, in the early 1960s, any U.S. broadcaster was
> going to cross Hoover's FBI on this point, bright-line violations
> notwithstanding.

And yet we're not talking about the FBI or the 1960s. The Reacher book
was published in the mid-90s, it told a story that involved Secret
Service jurisdiction, not the FBI, and Hoover was long dead, so your
supposition that the USSS reached out and quashed Child's inclusion of
the agency in his story is fanciful at best.

In fact, as I pointed out, Child repeatedly and erroneously referred to
the FBI as the investigating agency for counterfeit crimes. So Child
wasn't obviously wasn't scared to name a federal cop-shop in his book.
He just named the wrong one.

Re: Reacher season 1

<QoMmL.15335$PXw7.10229@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168581&group=rec.arts.tv#168581

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 16:33:34 -0500
 by: moviePig - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 21:33 UTC

Limey...

Re: Reacher season 1

<tng6nl$36411$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168583&group=rec.arts.tv#168583

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 22:22:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 22:22 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>On 2022-12-15 07:05:06 +0000, Adam H. Kerman said:

>>I know there have been a number of threads about this show, so sue me.

>>I'd seen pictures of Alan Ritchson, but damn, whenever he stands next to
>>another actor, he's enormous. I suppose he's a few inches shorter than
>>Lee Child's description of Reacher in the novels, but it works. This guy
>>embodies the character's physicality quite nicely.

>>I've always liked Willa Fitzgerald, and she's fine in this. I suppose
>>I'll forgive her for Dare Me. Currie Graham is quite slimey as Kliner,
>>although even in the novel, he was more of an off-screen character.

>>As BTR1701 and others observed, this was an extremely faithful
>>adaptation of Killing Floor with minimal changes.

>>Entertaining. It sure looked like Ritchson performed all his own fights,
>>but where would you find a stunt man if he didn't?

>>Borrowed BluRay set from the library. I'm never subscribing to
>>streaming.

>Reacher!!

I won't submit.

Re: Reacher season 1

<67fnph91jqnl7g4sk7igbevs0dslpt2que@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168607&group=rec.arts.tv#168607

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 19:37:22 -0500
 by: shawn - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 00:37 UTC

On Thu, 15 Dec 2022 13:16:56 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> . . .
>>
>>> Then there was the famous case of Tom Clancy, who came out of nowhere
>>> with HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER, which had so much quasi-classified and
>>> dead-on accurate info about the U.S. military and its assets that it
>>> caused a minor panic in the Pentagon. So much so that Congress actually
>>> held hearings and subpoenaed Clancy to find out how he got his
>>> information. They were stunned to find out he needed no insider spilling
>>> him info or access to unauthorized facilities. He did it all merely by
>>> pouring over DOD purchasing orders and other open source documents
>>> produced by the vast Defense bureaucracy.
>>
>> I never heard that. Thanks!
>>
>> As with any classified information, the only people being kept in the
>> dark are the American taxpayers. It's not like the enemy isn't capable
>> of analyzing our military.
>>

>I’ve done a lot of educational and industrial films and they always
>prohibited us from taking pictures of the antenna arrays on their ships
>(except from a great distance) saying that the godless enemy could figure
>out what frequencies we used from that.

Which is true since the lengths of even those old antennas that were
used to receive broadcast TV signals controlled what frequencies were
going to best received. Though nothing would prevent them from hiring
a civilian boat and taking a spin near by many of those same ships. I
was surprised to watch a Youtube video of someone taking out an
explorer yacht out of San Diego to see just how close they were from
all of the naval ships at dock.

Re: Reacher season 1

<fceeee27-84e7-4647-bf87-a3f9aa9ca104n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168616&group=rec.arts.tv#168616

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 18:43:08 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 02:43 UTC

On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 2:05:10 AM UTC-5, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> I know there have been a number of threads about this show, so sue me.
>
> I'd seen pictures of Alan Ritchson, but damn, whenever he stands next to
> another actor, he's enormous. I suppose he's a few inches shorter than
> Lee Child's description of Reacher in the novels, but it works. This guy
> embodies the character's physicality quite nicely.
>
> I've always liked Willa Fitzgerald, and she's fine in this. I suppose
> I'll forgive her for Dare Me. Currie Graham is quite slimey as Kliner,
> although even in the novel, he was more of an off-screen character.
>
> As BTR1701 and others observed, this was an extremely faithful
> adaptation of Killing Floor with minimal changes.
>
> Entertaining. It sure looked like Ritchson performed all his own fights,
> but where would you find a stunt man if he didn't?

> Borrowed BluRay set from the library.

> I'm never subscribing to streaming.

Me neither. But I still stream. I'll never buy another DVD as long as I live, except to give away as presents.

----------------

mime bought another computer this week. Intel/Ryzen apparently has become my new crack-cocaine addition. This new one is an 8th gen intel i-5, hexacore, with 16GB ram and two, 1 terabyte SSD. One of the drives wasn't partitioned from the factory so it wasn't showing up in windows exployer. And speaking of Windows, this is another iot machine used for signage or embedded applications so it is running Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC ... good for another 12 years (2034) without those annoying and frequent updates. Box has 6 USB ports, 2 ethernet ports, 4 comm ports, 1 HDMI and 2 DP for 3 monitor ports. 8th gen intel chips will do quick-sync for fast on the fly video transcoding when remote streaming away from home like when in Belgium buying diamonds.

SUBSCRIBE to streaming? Hell no, but i still stream. The cloud is just somebody elses computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNRSx639c6o

https://www.dfi.com/product/index/1501

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video#Windows

Why buy an atm/signage/server computer? Because it will probably do a dozen or more remote PLEX streams concurrently and because it's fast, and was CHEAP, like the mime

Re: Reacher season 1

<tnhtrs$3cn6e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168670&group=rec.arts.tv#168670

Followup: rec.arts.tv
From: Nys...@LogicalInsight.net (Nyssa)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 09:03:55 -0500
 by: Nyssa - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 14:03 UTC

Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>On 2022-12-15 07:05:06 +0000, Adam H. Kerman said:
>
>>>I know there have been a number of threads about this
>>>show, so sue me.
>
>>>I'd seen pictures of Alan Ritchson, but damn, whenever he
>>>stands next to another actor, he's enormous. I suppose
>>>he's a few inches shorter than Lee Child's description of
>>>Reacher in the novels, but it works. This guy embodies
>>>the character's physicality quite nicely.
>
>>>I've always liked Willa Fitzgerald, and she's fine in
>>>this. I suppose I'll forgive her for Dare Me. Currie
>>>Graham is quite slimey as Kliner, although even in the
>>>novel, he was more of an off-screen character.
>
>>>As BTR1701 and others observed, this was an extremely
>>>faithful adaptation of Killing Floor with minimal
>>>changes.
>
>>>Entertaining. It sure looked like Ritchson performed all
>>>his own fights, but where would you find a stunt man if
>>>he didn't?
>
>>>Borrowed BluRay set from the library. I'm never
>>>subscribing to streaming.
>
>>Reacher!!
>
> I won't submit.

Ditto!

Nyssa, who thinks she and Adam should start a society
for the non-streamers for mutual support

Re: Reacher season 1

<tni2gg$3d6af$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168679&group=rec.arts.tv#168679

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 15:22:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 15:22 UTC

Nyssa <Nyssa@LogicalInsight.net> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>>Reacher!!

>>I won't submit.

>Ditto!

>Nyssa, who thinks she and Adam should start a society
>for the non-streamers for mutual support

But I'm also being a sucker, paying a huge cable bill for satellite
channel redistribution with not much left on satellite.

Re: Reacher season 1

<2055085087.692898038.089607.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168684&group=rec.arts.tv#168684

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 08:43:13 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 15:43 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> Nyssa <Nyssa@LogicalInsight.net> wrote:
>> Adam H. Kerman wrote:

>>> I won't submit.
>
>> Ditto!
>
>> Nyssa, who thinks she and Adam should start a society
>> for the non-streamers for mutual support
>
> But I'm also being a sucker, paying a huge cable bill for satellite
> channel redistribution with not much left on satellite.

This is where my Cox is being smart by adding streaming apps to my DVR.
They’re working on better integration as well so the voice commands to the
DVR will search for programming not only across the Cox channels but in the
streaming apps. Of course sooner or later that’s going to end up launching
something that’s going to cost me money… But it’s nice to just say SEA
PATROL and have the DVR find it!

Re: Reacher season 1

<tni3rs$3d6af$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168685&group=rec.arts.tv#168685

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 15:46:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 15:46 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>>Nyssa <Nyssa@LogicalInsight.net> wrote:

>>>Ditto!

>>>Nyssa, who thinks she and Adam should start a society
>>>for the non-streamers for mutual support

>>But I'm also being a sucker, paying a huge cable bill for satellite
>>channel redistribution with not much left on satellite.

>This is where my Cox is being smart by adding streaming apps to my DVR.
>They're working on better integration as well so the voice commands to the
>DVR will search for programming not only across the Cox channels but in the
>streaming apps. Of course sooner or later that's going to end up launching
>something that's going to cost me money… But it's nice to just say SEA
>PATROL and have the DVR find it!

How does it not cost you money? Cable unlimited data plans have data
usage caps and they never tell you accurately when they apply.

Re: Reacher season 1

<tni5ac$3dd9u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168687&group=rec.arts.tv#168687

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 08:10:53 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 16:10 UTC

On 12/16/2022 6:03 AM, Nyssa wrote:
> Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Reacher!!
>>
>> I won't submit.
>
> Ditto!
>
> Nyssa, who thinks she and Adam should start a society
> for the non-streamers for mutual support

Johnny-come-latelys, both of you.

dirty old man.

Re: Reacher season 1

<6g8pphhm7mr9s1vot4n12ellhav0reksfs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168689&group=rec.arts.tv#168689

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 11:55:31 -0500
 by: shawn - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 16:55 UTC

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 15:46:04 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>>But I'm also being a sucker, paying a huge cable bill for satellite
>>>channel redistribution with not much left on satellite.
>
>>This is where my Cox is being smart by adding streaming apps to my DVR.
>>They're working on better integration as well so the voice commands to the
>>DVR will search for programming not only across the Cox channels but in the
>>streaming apps. Of course sooner or later that's going to end up launching
>>something that's going to cost me money… But it's nice to just say SEA
>>PATROL and have the DVR find it!
>
>How does it not cost you money? Cable unlimited data plans have data
>usage caps and they never tell you accurately when they apply.

I don't know if Cox even has an unlimited data plan. Cox was always
one of the worst for their offerings. At least with AT&T fiber they
can mean unlimited (or close enough for most people) because they are
also delivering their video channels over IP. I remember people who
had unlimited with Comcast could get around 2TB/month without getting
a complaint. Above that and the complaints would start if you kept
going at those high rates for months.

Re: Reacher season 1

<jo8pphpoqb91j77rvo0ar9a8gireg4gspd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168690&group=rec.arts.tv#168690

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 11:55:58 -0500
 by: shawn - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 16:55 UTC

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 08:10:53 -0800, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 12/16/2022 6:03 AM, Nyssa wrote:
>> Adam H. Kerman wrote:

>>> I won't submit.
>>
>> Ditto!
>>
>> Nyssa, who thinks she and Adam should start a society
>> for the non-streamers for mutual support
>>
>Johnny-come-latelys, both of you.

What is streaming?

Re: Reacher season 1

<e0f5eb09-27fe-499c-8e92-56714a3ccb6an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168697&group=rec.arts.tv#168697

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 09:56:00 -0800 (PST)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 17:56 UTC

On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 2:05:10 AM UTC-5, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> I know there have been a number of threads about this show, so sue me.

I still can't get past the question: A British writer Lee Child starring a former US military veteran?

Re: Reacher season 1

<tnif6a$25f77$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=168707&group=rec.arts.tv#168707

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 10:59:20 -0800
 by: suzeeq - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 18:59 UTC

On 12/16/2022 9:56 AM, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 2:05:10 AM UTC-5, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>> I know there have been a number of threads about this show, so sue me.
>
> I still can't get past the question: A British writer Lee Child starring a former US military veteran?

He lives in the US I think.