The church saves sinners, but science seeks to stop their manufacture. -- Elbert Hubbard

arts / rec.arts.tv / THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN (no spoilers)

SubjectAuthor
* THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN (no spoilers)moviePig
+- Re: THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN (no spoilers)Irish Mike
+- Re: THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN (no spoilers)moviePig
+- Re: THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN (no spoilers)moviePig
+- Re: THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN (no spoilers)trotsky
`- Re: THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN (no spoilers)trotsky

1
THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN (no spoilers)

<veYtL.320525$9sn9.78805@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=170944&group=rec.arts.tv#170944

From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Subject: THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN (no spoilers)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 11:45:15 -0500
 by: moviePig - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 16:45 UTC

In a 1923 Irish coastal island village, two lifelong friends have an
unusual falling out. THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN, on HBOMax, stars two
thespian heavyweights, Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson, previously
teamed by the delightful IN BRUGES from the same writer-director. The
reach here is deeper and more affecting, and not to be missed. Highly
recommended.

Re: THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN (no spoilers)

<22f12b37-b6c1-4f75-a1ae-9079532d0fd6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=170988&group=rec.arts.tv#170988

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 14:25:20 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN (no spoilers)
From: irishran...@gmail.com (Irish Mike)
 by: Irish Mike - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 22:25 UTC

On Friday, January 6, 2023 at 11:45:20 AM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
> In a 1923 Irish coastal island village, two lifelong friends have an
> unusual falling out. THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN, on HBOMax, stars two
> thespian heavyweights, Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson, previously
> teamed by the delightful IN BRUGES from the same writer-director. The
> reach here is deeper and more affecting, and not to be missed. Highly
> recommended.

Two things:
First thing. I love Ireland.
My family is from there, I've been
going there for decades and I've traveled
extensively in every Province and County.
I love their music, literature, history and culture.

"Banshees of Inisherin" is set on a (fictitious)
island off the West Coast of Ireland in 1923.
The setting is realistic, the scenery is beautiful
and Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell are both
excellent actors.

Second thing: This is one of the dumbest plot lines
I've ever seen! Silly, idiotic and ridiculous. I sat through
it to the end but you'd have to pay me to watch it again!

Now in all fairness, the movie won several artistic awards
and I freely admit I ain't a very artistic guy. Possibly
Mr. Pig and his artsy-fartsy friends found something in this
film that escapes me. Entirely possible - but you be the judge.

Irish Mike

Re: THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN (no spoilers)

<HN1uL.40501$Sgyc.12111@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=170993&group=rec.arts.tv#170993

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 18:04:06 -0500
 by: moviePig - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 23:04 UTC

On 1/6/2023 5:24 PM, Irish Mike wrote:
> On Friday, January 6, 2023 at 11:45:19 AM UTC-5, pwal...@moviepig.com wrote:
>> In a 1923 Irish coastal island village, two lifelong friends have an
>> unusual falling out. THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN, on HBOMax, stars two
>> thespian heavyweights, Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson, previously
>> teamed by the delightful IN BRUGES from the same writer-director. The
>> reach here is deeper and more affecting, and not to be missed. Highly
>> recommended.
>
> Two things:
> First thing. I love Ireland.
> My family is from there, I've been
> going there for decades and I've traveled
> extensively in every Province and County.
> I love their music, literature, history and culture.
>
> "Banshees of Inisherin" is set on a (fictitious)
> island off the West Coast of Ireland in 1923.
> The setting is realistic, the scenery is beautiful
> and Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell are both
> excellent actors.
>
> Second thing: This is one of the dumbest plot lines
> I've ever seen! Silly, idiotic and ridiculous. I sat through
> it to the end but you'd have to pay me to watch it again!
>
> Now in all fairness, the movie won several artistic awards
> and I freely admit I ain't a very artistic guy. Possibly
> Mr. Pig and his artsy-fartsy friends found something in this
> film that escapes me. Entirely possible - but you be the judge.

Serious reply: I found this to be a personal contender for the (past)
year's best movie so far (as did more than a few pro critics) and that
has nothing to do with "artiness" but rather with its wealth of content.
That said, however, I've found that movies that send some viewers over
the top tend also to send some others straight to the bottom -- while
the most generally agreed-upon "quality" seems to be mediocrity.

Re: THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN (no spoilers)

<OP1uL.40502$Sgyc.24994@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=170994&group=rec.arts.tv#170994

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 18:06:22 -0500
 by: moviePig - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 23:06 UTC

On 1/6/2023 5:39 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Friday, 6 January 2023 at 11:45:20 UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
>> In a 1923 Irish coastal island village, two lifelong friends have an
>> unusual falling out. THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN, on HBOMax, stars two
>> thespian heavyweights, Colin Farrell
>
> Sorry, Colin Farrell is what?

Whatever he's called upon to be.

Re: THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN (no spoilers)

<tpbp05$1s39$7@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171061&group=rec.arts.tv#171061

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 06:36:21 -0600
 by: trotsky - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 12:36 UTC

On 1/6/23 10:45 AM, moviePig wrote:

> In a 1923 Irish coastal island village, two lifelong friends have an
> unusual falling out.  THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN, on HBOMax, stars two
> thespian heavyweights, Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson, previously
> teamed by the delightful IN BRUGES from the same writer-director.  The
> reach here is deeper and more affecting, and not to be missed.  Highly
> recommended.

I would think out of respect you'd actually refer to Martin Donavan by
name. He's a consistently interesting filmmaker.

Re: THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN (no spoilers)

<tq0ka6$102v$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171906&group=rec.arts.tv#171906

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 04:25:10 -0600
 by: trotsky - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 10:25 UTC

On 1/6/23 10:45 AM, moviePig wrote:

> In a 1923 Irish coastal island village, two lifelong friends have an
> unusual falling out.  THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN, on HBOMax, stars two
> thespian heavyweights, Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson, previously
> teamed by the delightful IN BRUGES from the same writer-director.  The
> reach here is deeper and more affecting, and not to be missed.  Highly
> recommended.

Just watched this and had the same reaction. Top notch all the way
around: writing, directing, acting, cinematography, music--top notch in
every category. Really interesting characters in a struggle you
probably wouldn't have imagined. Interesting themes about human
relationships. Slightly mystical to boot. Every movie McDonagh has
done has been outstanding. (I may have called him "Donahue" previously
due to a brain cramp.) I may or may not watch this again, the only
issue I would have is the death of animals is very disturbing to me,
even if fictional. But I would recommend it to anyone who likes movies.