Art is either plagiarism or revolution. -- Paul Gauguin

arts / rec.arts.tv / The Grand Chessboard

SubjectAuthor
* The Grand Chessboardchromebook test
+* Re: The Grand Chessboardchromebook test

Pages:123
The Grand Chessboard

<d481efa5-a5f8-422f-8c04-d3f0ffdcd5d1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171198&group=rec.arts.tv#171198

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 09:26:59 -0800 (PST)
Subject: The Grand Chessboard
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 17:26 UTC

In competitive sports there are two general ways to win. The first is to be better prepared, physically fitter, mentally tougher. The second way to win is to weaken the opponent, sabotage their effort.

In the grand competition against China, the latter was the strategy used when the US dropped the biological covid bomb in Wuhan.

"The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him."

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<20d0dd4c-ac42-4dc2-b875-659d25ce8f3en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171214&group=rec.arts.tv#171214

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 11:17:54 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: The Grand Chessboard
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 19:17 UTC

On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 12:27:01 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> In competitive sports there are two general ways to win. The first is to be better prepared, physically fitter, mentally tougher. The second way to win is to weaken the opponent, sabotage their effort.
>
> In the grand competition against China, the latter was the strategy used when the US dropped the biological covid bomb in Wuhan.
>

> "The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him."

Trump was one-dimensional when it came to the PRC. For
him, the relationship seemed wholly about the trade imbalance and unfair
Chinese trade practices, and even then these matters appeared subordinate to
his relationship with Xi Jinping, the autocratic Chinese leader who was
taking the PRC in a dark direction. Fortunately, the departments and agencies
had been generally following the formal game plan since it was published
and had the right people in place to make it happen.
In 2017, the NSC under H. R. McMaster, the national security adviser,
and Matt Pottinger, the Asia director at the council who led these efforts,
produced two documents—the “U.S. Strategic Framework for the IndoPacific” and the “U.S. Strategic Framework for Countering China’s
Economic Aggression”—that laid out a whole-of-government approach to
China. That December of 2017, the National Security Strategy was
published. The strategy made clear that China (and Russia) under its
Communist Party was a revisionist power that aimed to “shape a world
antithetical to U.S. values and interests” and “displace the United States in
the Indo-Pacific region, expand the reaches of its state-driven economic
model, and reorder the region in its favor.”

Mark Esper, "A Sacred Oath"
Chapter 19, 'China, China, China'
https://annas-archive.org/md5/30386fe6e80068fd7c121afd202e84e1
https://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Oath-Memoirs-Secretary-Extraordinary/dp/006314431X

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<d904552d-3169-4323-97b7-e8143c7f732dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171221&group=rec.arts.tv#171221

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 12:28:03 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 20:28 UTC

On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 2:17:56 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 12:27:01 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> > In competitive sports there are two general ways to win. The first is to be better prepared, physically fitter, mentally tougher. The second way to win is to weaken the opponent, sabotage their effort.
> >
> > In the grand competition against China, the latter was the strategy used when the US dropped the biological covid bomb in Wuhan.

> In 2017, the NSC under H. R. McMaster, the national security adviser,
> and Matt Pottinger, the Asia director at the council who led these efforts,
> produced two documents—the “U.S. Strategic Framework for the IndoPacific” and the “U.S. Strategic Framework for Countering China’s
> Economic Aggression”—that laid out a whole-of-government approach to
> China.

> Mark Esper, "A Sacred Oath"

One of the most common criticisms of the Trump administration’s approach to China was that it had “no strategy.” Now, in its waning days, officials of that administration want you to know that the U.S. government actually did have a plan.

The strategy was kept secret so that the Trump administration wouldn’t tip its hand.

“The administration is coming to a close. We want the world to have the benefit of understanding what we set out to do early in 2017 and then what we actually have accomplished,”

There are actually two secret strategies, but the NSC couldn’t get the second one declassified in time. It is titled “U.S. Strategic Framework for Countering China’s Economic Aggression.”

The Trump administration had a China strategy after all
By Josh Rogin January 14, 2021
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/the-trump-administration-had-a-china-strategy-after-all-but-trump-didnt-follow-it/2021/01/14/846e97d4-56ad-11eb-a817-e5e7f8a406d6_story.html

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<39fa3a73-fd7e-49a2-85fc-4964468b4941n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171222&group=rec.arts.tv#171222

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 12:33:31 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 20:33 UTC

On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 3:28:06 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 2:17:56 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> > On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 12:27:01 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:

> > > In competitive sports there are two general ways to win. The first is to be better prepared, physically fitter, mentally tougher. The second way to win is to weaken the opponent, sabotage their effort.

> > > In the grand competition against China, the latter was the strategy used when the US dropped the biological covid bomb in Wuhan.

> There are actually two secret strategies, but the NSC couldn’t get the second one declassified in time. It is titled “U.S. Strategic Framework for Countering China’s Economic Aggression.”

TAGS: covid was a manufactured crisis to save the american empire

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<15e77b97-fe60-4999-9f58-b830775d7b60n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171236&group=rec.arts.tv#171236

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 16:22:42 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 00:22 UTC

On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 3:33:34 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 3:28:06 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:

> > There are actually two secret strategies, but the NSC couldn’t get the second one declassified in time. It is titled “U.S. Strategic Framework for Countering China’s Economic Aggression.”

U.S. National Security Council, Strategic Framework For The Indo-Pacific, February 2018
This document was declassified in January 2021. It was drafted by National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster and Deputy NSA Matt Pottinger in 2017-2018.
February 1, 2018
https://china.usc.edu/us-national-security-council-strategic-framework-indo-pacific-february-2018

Statement by NSA Robert O'Brien on Jan. 15, 2021.

Today, the White House is publishing the recently declassified United States Strategic Framework for the Indo-Pacific. For the last 3 years, this document has provided overarching strategic guidance for implementing the 2017 National Security Strategy within the world’s most populous and economically dynamic region. Approved in February 2018 for implementation across Executive Branch departments and agencies, the document is being released to communicate to the American people and to our allies and partners, the enduring commitment of the United States to keeping the Indo-Pacific region free and open long into the future.

///

The United States is and always has been an Indo-Pacific nation. From our first trading ships that departed for China just eight years after the American Revolution, to establishing our first diplomatic presence in India in 1794, U.S. engagement in the region has been built on trade, cooperation, and shared sacrifice, yielding the peace and prosperity enjoyed across the region today.

The United States Strategic Framework for the Indo-Pacific (henceforth, the Framework) has served, for the last three years, as the Trump Administration’s overarching strategic guidance for implementing the President’s 2017 National Security Strategy (NSS) within the world’s most populous and economically dynamic region.

The NSS recognizes that the most consequential challenge to the interests of the United States, and those of our allies and partners, is the growing rivalry between free and repressive visions of the future. To realize America’s positive vision for the region, and to address the unprecedented challenges that Indo-Pacific nations face to their sovereignty, prosperity, and peace, in February 2018, President Trump approved the Framework for implementation across Executive Branch departments and agencies. The original document has been declassified and released, to communicate to the American people and to our alliesand partners America’s enduring commitment to this vital region.

The Framework has guided the development of numerous subordinate policy frameworks and campaign plans that have steered the U.S. approach to specific issues of importance to the Indo-Pacific region and beyond, such as the

U.S. Strategic Approach to the People’s Republic of China, the

U.S. Strategic Framework for Countering China’s Economic Aggression, the

U.S. Campaign Plan for Countering China’s Malign Influence in International Organizations, and others.

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<b39d972c-fc7e-4c7b-8068-f031c2a6ea2dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171237&group=rec.arts.tv#171237

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 16:36:27 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 00:36 UTC

On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 7:22:45 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 3:33:34 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:

> > > There are actually two secret strategies, but the NSC couldn’t get the second one declassified in time. It is titled “U.S. Strategic Framework for Countering China’s Economic Aggression.”

> U.S. National Security Council, Strategic Framework For The Indo-Pacific, February 2018
> This document was declassified in January 2021. It was drafted by National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster and Deputy NSA Matt Pottinger in 2017-2018..

Who Is Matthew Pottinger's Wife, Yen Pottinger?
By Seema Sapkota July 22, 2022
https://showbizcorner.com/who-is-matthew-pottingers-wife-yen-pottinger

Matthew Pottinger's wife Yen Pоttinger is a virologist with a specialization in HIV and tuberculosis. She previously worked for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from 2007 to 2015.

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<45201ede-f1af-4179-919a-95b7e214907cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171238&group=rec.arts.tv#171238

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 16:38:45 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 00:38 UTC

On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 7:36:30 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 7:22:45 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:

> > U.S. National Security Council, Strategic Framework For The Indo-Pacific, February 2018

> > This document was declassified in January 2021. It was drafted by National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster and Deputy NSA Matt Pottinger in 2017-2018.

> Who Is Matthew Pottinger's Wife, Yen Pottinger?
> By Seema Sapkota July 22, 2022
> https://showbizcorner.com/who-is-matthew-pottingers-wife-yen-pottinger
>

> Matthew Pottinger's wife Yen Pоttinger is a virologist with a specialization in HIV and tuberculosis. She previously worked for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from 2007 to 2015.

Personal life
In 2014, Pottinger married Dr. Yen Duong, a virologist who immigrated to the United States as a child after she and her family fled Vietnam following the Vietnam War. They have two children and live in Utah.

https://kids.kiddle.co/Matthew_Pottinger

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<d1fe4839-8731-4668-96c5-c568fd33607fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171239&group=rec.arts.tv#171239

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 16:41:56 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 00:41 UTC

On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 7:38:48 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 7:36:30 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:

> > > U.S. National Security Council, Strategic Framework For The Indo-Pacific, February 2018
>
> > > This document was declassified in January 2021. It was drafted by National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster and Deputy NSA Matt Pottinger in 2017-2018.
>
> > Who Is Matthew Pottinger's Wife, Yen Pottinger?
> > By Seema Sapkota July 22, 2022
> > https://showbizcorner.com/who-is-matthew-pottingers-wife-yen-pottinger
> >

> > Matthew Pottinger's wife Yen Pоttinger is a virologist with a specialization in HIV and tuberculosis. She previously worked for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from 2007 to 2015.
> Personal life
> In 2014, Pottinger married Dr. Yen Duong, a virologist who immigrated to the United States as a child after she and her family fled Vietnam following the Vietnam War. They have two children and live in Utah.
>
> https://kids.kiddle.co/Matthew_Pottinger

Matthew Forbes Pottinger (born 1973) is an American former journalist and U..S. Marine Corps officer who served as the United States deputy national security advisor from September 22, 2019, until January 7, 2021.[2] Previously the Asia director on the National Security Council since 2017, his tenure was unusual among senior aides serving under President Trump for its length, given an administration marked by high turnover.[3] Pottinger worked to develop the Trump administration's policies towards China.[4][5]

Pottinger submitted his resignation on the afternoon of January 6, in response to the 2021 United States Capitol attack. He left the White House the following morning.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Pottinger

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<4704b379-9d46-4b06-97b7-29523b51bc9cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171240&group=rec.arts.tv#171240

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 16:47:39 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 00:47 UTC

On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 7:38:48 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 7:36:30 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:

> > > U.S. National Security Council, Strategic Framework For The Indo-Pacific, February 2018
>
> > > This document was declassified in January 2021. It was drafted by National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster and Deputy NSA Matt Pottinger in 2017-2018.
>
> > Who Is Matthew Pottinger's Wife, Yen Pottinger?
> > By Seema Sapkota July 22, 2022
> > https://showbizcorner.com/who-is-matthew-pottingers-wife-yen-pottinger

> > Matthew Pottinger's wife Yen Pоttinger is a virologist with a specialization in HIV and tuberculosis. She previously worked for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from 2007 to 2015.

> Personal life
> In 2014, Pottinger married Dr. Yen Duong, a virologist who immigrated to the United States as a child after she and her family fled Vietnam following the Vietnam War. They have two children and live in Utah.

Dr. Yen Pottinger told Columbia University’s publication she believed science would save the day in the fight against COVID-19. She said in the university publication that she initially planned to become a medical doctor, but studying HIV combined her interest in viruses with her love of chemistry.

“I love viruses over organisms like bacteria and parasites,” she said. “Viruses are very efficient. They get the job done. HIV, for instance, is especially brilliant – it attacks the cells that you use to attack the virus, and it integrates itself into your genome so once you’re infected, you can’t get rid of it.”

https://heavy.com/news/yen-pottinger-matthew-wife/

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<177562ec-73ee-4fd3-beb6-3eb0cced68b0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171242&group=rec.arts.tv#171242

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 17:14:19 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 01:14 UTC

On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 7:41:59 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 7:38:48 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:

> > > Matthew Pottinger's wife Yen Pоttinger is a virologist with a specialization in HIV and tuberculosis. She previously worked for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from 2007 to 2015.

> Matthew Forbes Pottinger (born 1973) is an American former journalist and U.S. Marine Corps officer who served as the United States deputy national security advisor from September 22, 2019, until January 7, 2021.[2] Previously the Asia director on the National Security Council since 2017

Even though Pottinger’s name was largely unknown to the public, his influence on U.S. foreign policy will be felt for years to come. The incoming Biden administration is set to preserve many of the changes in the government’s approach to China that Pottinger, along with other like-minded officials, worked to implement.

“It’s impossible to overstate the impact Matt has had on American national security,” said Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-Wis.), who served with Pottinger when they were both Marine intelligence officers in Iraq. “He leaves behind a four-year legacy as impactful as any American strategist before him.”

Starting on the administration’s first day, Pottinger served as Flynn’s senior director for Asia on the National Security Council staff and remained after Flynn was fired. Under Flynn’s replacement, H.R. McMaster, Pottinger worked with other officials to craft new guidelines on U.S. strategy toward China, including an “Indo-Pacific strategy review,” as well as the Asia portion of the National Security Strategy, which labeled China a “strategic competitor.” Pottinger’s team contributed heavily to investigations and reports detailing China’s economic aggression, which formed the basis for Trump’s trade war against Beijing.

Pottinger continued under national security adviser John Bolton and was elevated to deputy national security adviser under Bolton’s replacement, Robert C. O’Brien, crafting key speeches and traveling the world to explain the Trump administration’s often misunderstood China strategy. Pottinger deliberately kept a low profile, but he occasionally stepped out in public to explain the thinking behind the administration’s approach.

In the fall of 2018, speaking at the Chinese Embassy in Washington, Pottinger argued that Confucius himself would have wanted U.S. and Chinese leaders to speak honestly about the competition the two countries are in. “To us, this was really an example of what Confucius called the ‘rectification of names,’ ” he said, quoting from “The Analects” in both Mandarin and English. “For us, ‘competition’ is not a four-letter word.”

Pottinger is a hard-liner on China but not as hawkish as officials such as former White House chief strategist Stephen K. Bannon and White House trade adviser Peter Navarro. But Pottinger often opposed accommodationists such as Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin. Pottinger believed in restoring the balance of power between China and the United States in Asia after many years of drift due to lax policy in Washington.

Because of his experience during the 2003 severe acute respiratory syndrome crisis as a Wall Street Journal reporter in China, Pottinger was among the first U.S. officials to warn about the coronavirus pandemic as it began to spread there. In January 2020, he convened and led some of the first interagency meetings on the emerging crisis. He and O’Brien pushed Trump to ban travel from China later that month, one of the few pandemic decisions Trump can rightfully claim credit for now.

Pottinger has also focused on raising awareness of Chinese Communist Party efforts to spread influence and interfere in various U.S. institutions, including academia, the tech sector and Wall Street. Inside the bureaucracy, he expanded the NSC’s Asia staff and pushed all national security agencies to rethink their assumptions and greatly increase their focus on China.

The incoming Biden administration is planning to continue much of the basic China approach Pottinger and others set in place, albeit with some changes.. That reflects the bipartisan consensus in Congress and growing calls from voters in both parties for a strategy that more forcefully confronts Beijing’s external aggression and internal repression. Biden is expected to name his own “Asia czar” inside the NSC staff, recognizing the importance of having a senior official such as Pottinger in charge of coordination on the issue.

Trump’s own views on China have run the gamut, sometimes focusing on his friendship with Chinese President Xi Jinping and sometimes portraying China as a bitter enemy. But Pottinger helped translate those impulses into lasting institutional change that will long outlive the Trump administration.

Matthew Pottinger exits, but his China strategy is here to stay
Josh Rogin Jan. 7, 2021
https://web.archive.org/web/20210109010120/https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/matthew-pottinger-exits-but-his-china-strategy-is-here-to-stay/2021/01/07/0a54df32-512e-11eb-83e3-322644d82356_story.html

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<a3917c6f-5e37-4cac-b6e3-fc973943219an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171334&group=rec.arts.tv#171334

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 10:38:14 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 18:38 UTC

On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 8:14:22 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 7:41:59 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:

> > Matthew Forbes Pottinger (born 1973) is an American former journalist and U.S. Marine Corps officer who served as the United States deputy national security advisor from September 22, 2019, until January 7, 2021.[2] Previously the Asia director on the National Security Council since 2017

> Even though Pottinger’s name was largely unknown to the public, his influence on U.S. foreign policy will be felt for years to come.

Mr Pottinger, who speaks fluent Mandarin, previously worked as a journalist for Reuters and The Wall Street Journal, including seven years as its China correspondent.

In 2005, he became a US marine and served as a military intelligence officer before being asked to join the US National Security Council in 2017, becoming Asia director before assuming his current role.

His older brother, Paul, is a virologist at the University of Washington.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9106951/Lab-leak-credible-source-coronavirus-outbreak-says-government-official.html

https://twitter.com/paulpottingermd

TAGS: 2 virologists in the same family? that's an odd coincidence, mime's ongoing research

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<4066a1dc-a526-4722-9c45-05a5b8a5c51dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171347&group=rec.arts.tv#171347

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 13:00:16 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 21:00 UTC

On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 1:38:17 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:

> > > Matthew Forbes Pottinger (born 1973) is an American former journalist and U.S. Marine Corps officer who served as the United States deputy national security advisor from September 22, 2019, until January 7, 2021.[2] Previously the Asia director on the National Security Council since 2017

> > Even though Pottinger’s name was largely unknown to the public, his influence on U.S. foreign policy will be felt for years to come.

> Mr Pottinger, who speaks fluent Mandarin, previously worked as a journalist for Reuters and The Wall Street Journal, including seven years as its China correspondent.

> In 2005, he became a US marine and served as a military intelligence officer before being asked to join the US National Security Council in 2017, becoming Asia director before assuming his current role.

MATT POTTINGER: We have very strong reason to believe that the Chinese military was doing secret classified animal experiments in that same laboratory, going all the way back to at least 2017. We have good reason to believe that there was an outbreak of flu-like illness among researchers working in the Wuhan Institute of virology in the fall of 2019, but right- immediately before the first documented cases came to light.

MARGARET BRENNAN: --you have reason to believe a COVID-like disease was circulating in autumn of 2019 in China. Is there evidence to back up that assessment?

POTTINGER: There is.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/transcript-matt-pottinger-on-face-the-nation-february-21-2021/

///

The Staggering Collapse of U.S. Intelligence on the Coronavirus

in mid-October 2019 a delegation of 300 U.S. military athletes arrived in Wuhan to participate in the 2019 Military World games.

The importance of the U.S. military athletes rests in the fact that the NCMI is responsible for conducting threat briefs for all deployments of military personnel world-wide, which meant that a Wuhan-specific Infectious Disease Risk Assessment would have necessarily been prepared in support of this deployment.

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/the-staggering-collapse-of-u-s-intelligence-on-the-coronavirus/

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<e86c90a7-34df-47c3-9c78-ebbb26e75c60n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171351&group=rec.arts.tv#171351

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 14:01:37 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 22:01 UTC

On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 4:00:25 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:

> > > Even though Pottinger’s name was largely unknown to the public, his influence on U.S. foreign policy will be felt for years to come.
>
> > Mr Pottinger, who speaks fluent Mandarin, previously worked as a journalist for Reuters and The Wall Street Journal, including seven years as its China correspondent.

> > In 2005, he became a US marine and served as a military intelligence officer before being asked to join the US National Security Council in 2017, becoming Asia director before assuming his current role.

> MATT POTTINGER: We have very strong reason to believe that the Chinese military was doing secret classified animal experiments in that same laboratory, going all the way back to at least 2017. We have good reason to believe that there was an outbreak of flu-like illness among researchers working in the Wuhan Institute of virology in the fall of 2019, but right- immediately before the first documented cases came to light.
>
> MARGARET BRENNAN: --you have reason to believe a COVID-like disease was circulating in autumn of 2019 in China. Is there evidence to back up that assessment?
>
> POTTINGER: There is.
>
> https://www.cbsnews.com/news/transcript-matt-pottinger-on-face-the-nation-february-21-2021/

Ground Zero: The Epicenter of the covid outbreak, at the exact same time as the first known cases emerge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCdAY-AOG-o&t=1693s

Sure am glad a family of virologists with a white house marine intelligence officer in charge of containing Chin'a rise was on the job that week !

> The Staggering Collapse of U.S. Intelligence on the Coronavirus
>
> in mid-October 2019 a delegation of 300 U.S. military athletes arrived in Wuhan to participate in the 2019 Military World games.
>
> The importance of the U.S. military athletes rests in the fact that the NCMI is responsible for conducting threat briefs for all deployments of military personnel world-wide, which meant that a Wuhan-specific Infectious Disease Risk Assessment would have necessarily been prepared in support of this deployment.
>
> https://www.theamericanconservative.com/the-staggering-collapse-of-u-s-intelligence-on-the-coronavirus/

--------------

keep a song in your heart !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-7XWhyvIpE

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<a3da385d-7421-4dda-81e6-0b0de6d9ae8dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171376&group=rec.arts.tv#171376

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 19:51:07 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 03:51 UTC

On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 5:01:40 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 4:00:25 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:

> > > Mr Pottinger, who speaks fluent Mandarin, previously worked as a journalist for Reuters and The Wall Street Journal, including seven years as its China correspondent.

> > > In 2005, he became a US marine and served as a military intelligence officer before being asked to join the US National Security Council in 2017, becoming Asia director before assuming his current role.
>

> > MATT POTTINGER: We have very strong reason to believe that the Chinese military was doing secret classified animal experiments in that same laboratory, going all the way back to at least 2017. We have good reason to believe that there was an outbreak of flu-like illness among researchers working in the Wuhan Institute of virology in the fall of 2019, but right- immediately before the first documented cases came to light.
> >
> > MARGARET BRENNAN: --you have reason to believe a COVID-like disease was circulating in autumn of 2019 in China. Is there evidence to back up that assessment?
> >
> > POTTINGER: There is.
> >
> > https://www.cbsnews.com/news/transcript-matt-pottinger-on-face-the-nation-february-21-2021/

How far is the Wuhan Sports Center from Wuhan Institute of Virology ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=How+far+is+the+Wuhan+Sports+Center+from+Wuhan+Institute+of+virology&biw=1536&bih=746&sxsrf=AJOqlzU4jMG6u9Kg40Xe67LzB20hrwoRWA%3A1673322257694&ei=Ed-8Y9uEKoWlptQPkeai6Ac&ved=0ahUKEwib0Y6Wi7z8AhWFkokEHRGzCH0Q4dUDCBA&oq=How+far+is+the+Wuhan+Sports+Center+from+Wuhan+Institute+of+virology&gs_lcp=Cgxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAQDDIECCMQJ0oECEEYAUoECEYYAFC1-A5YtfgOYLqED2gCcAB4AIABdogBdpIBAzAuMZgBAKABAqABAcABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

> Ground Zero: The Epicenter of the covid outbreak, at the exact same time as the first known cases emerge:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCdAY-AOG-o&t=1693s
>

> Sure am glad a family of virologists with a white house marine intelligence officer in charge of containing China's rise was on the job that week !

> > The Staggering Collapse of U.S. Intelligence on the Coronavirus
> >
> > in mid-October 2019 a delegation of 300 U.S. military athletes arrived in Wuhan to participate in the 2019 Military World games.
> >
> > The importance of the U.S. military athletes rests in the fact that the NCMI is responsible for conducting threat briefs for all deployments of military personnel world-wide, which meant that a Wuhan-specific Infectious Disease Risk Assessment would have necessarily been prepared in support of this deployment.
> >
> > https://www.theamericanconservative.com/the-staggering-collapse-of-u-s-intelligence-on-the-coronavirus/
> --------------
>
> keep a song in your heart !
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-7XWhyvIpE

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<0001HW.296E143600F4F68F30EDD538F@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171462&group=rec.arts.tv#171462

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 13:46:30 -0800
From: pluted...@outlook.com (Pluted Pup)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
 by: Pluted Pup - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 21:46 UTC

On Sun, 08 Jan 2023 12:33:31 -0800, chromebook test wrote:

> TAGS: covid was a manufactured crisis to save the american empire

You sure that covid was not a manufactured crisis to end American power?

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<41216f0b-6b1c-4d49-b0a8-e6b30b8260acn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171467&group=rec.arts.tv#171467

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 14:20:34 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 22:20 UTC

On Tuesday, January 10, 2023 at 4:46:39 PM UTC-5, Pluted Pup wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Jan 2023 12:33:31 -0800, chromebook test wrote:
>

> > TAGS: covid was a manufactured crisis to save the american empire

> You sure that covid was not a manufactured crisis to end American power?

POTTINGER: Yeah, I think that- I don't- I'm not aware of any evidence, even circumstantial evidence, to suggest that this was a deliberate seeding of- of a pandemic by anybody.

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.tv/c/rVhIw0z51YI/m/VqDMIWnDAQAJ

--------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBzJGckMYO4

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<19a6a1c2-2bb2-49e2-a628-8b532c40be22n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171480&group=rec.arts.tv#171480

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 18:15:23 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 02:15 UTC

Chinese leaders, Pottinger believed, were engaging in a massive coverup and a “psychological warfare” operation to
obscure the origins of the virus and deflect blame, according to people with knowledge of his thinking.

Pottinger urged Trump and other senior officials to brand the virus with a label so that there would be no mistaking its origins: the Wuhan virus.

Matthew Pottinger faced Communist China’s intimidation as a reporter. He’s now at the White House shaping Trump’s hard line policy toward Beijing.
By David Nakamura, Carol D. Leonnig and Ellen Nakashima April 29, 2020
https://www.washingtonpost.com

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<2a219370-4dfa-4149-aa6f-8206b4319ef6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171489&group=rec.arts.tv#171489

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 20:06:54 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 04:06 UTC

On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 12:27:01 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:

> In competitive sports there are two general ways to win. The first is to be better prepared, physically fitter, mentally tougher. The second way to win is to weaken the opponent, sabotage their effort.

> "The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him."

The Grand Chessboard - American Primacy and Its Geostrategic Imperatives
1998 Zbigniew Brzezinski
https://annas-archive.org/md5/3c19660f88b4dca51c4bd4fef8b11276

“Bestselling author and former National Security Adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski is considered by Democrats and Republicans alike to be one of the nation's premier geopolitical strategists. In "The Grand Chessboard", he offers a bold and provocative new global vision for preserving and extending American preeminence in the 21st century. 25 maps. 7 tables.”

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<3ec473d3-3510-4911-9fc0-d54f7a1e94aan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171567&group=rec.arts.tv#171567

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 13:07:06 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 21:07 UTC

On Tuesday, January 10, 2023 at 5:20:37 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 10, 2023 at 4:46:39 PM UTC-5, Pluted Pup wrote:
> > On Sun, 08 Jan 2023 12:33:31 -0800, chromebook test wrote:
> >

> > > TAGS: covid was a manufactured crisis to save the american empire
>

> > You sure that covid was not a manufactured crisis to end American power?

> POTTINGER: Yeah, I think that- I don't- I'm not aware of any evidence, even circumstantial evidence, to suggest that this was a deliberate seeding of- of a pandemic by anybody.

China announces sanctions on 28 U.S. individuals including Pompeo
2021-01-21
http://ca.china-embassy.gov.cn/eng/zgxw/202101/t20210121_4635019.htm

China has decided to sanction 28 persons who have seriously violated China's sovereignty and who have been mainly responsible for a series of crazy U.S. moves on China-related issues, a foreign ministry spokesperson announced on Thursday.

They include Michael R. Pompeo, Peter K. Navarro, Robert C. O'Brien, David R. Stilwell, Matthew Pottinger, Alex M. Azar II, Keith J. Krach, and Kelly D. K. Craft of the Trump administration as well as John R. Bolton and Stephen K. Bannon.

"These individuals and their immediate family members are prohibited from entering the mainland, Hong Kong and Macao of China. They and companies and institutions associated with them are also restricted from doing business with China," the spokesperson said.

Over the past few years, some anti-China politicians in the United States, out of their selfish political interests and prejudice and hatred against China and showing no regard for the interests of the Chinese and American people, have planned, promoted and executed the crazy moves which have gravely interfered in China's internal affairs, undermined China's interests, offended the Chinese people, and seriously disrupted China-U.S. relations, according to the Foreign Ministry.

"The Chinese government is firmly resolved to defend China's national sovereignty, security and development interests," said the spokesperson. Enditem

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<d39e6a6f-1986-416e-8068-9e30acc7433cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171597&group=rec.arts.tv#171597

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 18:45:02 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 02:45 UTC

On Tuesday, January 10, 2023 at 5:20:37 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 10, 2023 at 4:46:39 PM UTC-5, Pluted Pup wrote:
> > On Sun, 08 Jan 2023 12:33:31 -0800, chromebook test wrote:

> > > TAGS: covid was a manufactured crisis to save the american empire

> > You sure that covid was not a manufactured crisis to end American power?

> POTTINGER: Yeah, I think that- I don't- I'm not aware of any evidence, even circumstantial evidence, to suggest that this was a deliberate seeding of- of a pandemic by anybody.

Infectious diseases that cross borders and disrupt societies are a threat to our national security and global stability. And, the risks of weaponization of biological agents are expanding. The United States must be prepared for outbreaks from any source – whether naturally occurring, accidental, or deliberate in origin.

Biden-⁠Harris Administration Releases Strategy to Strengthen Health Security and Prepare for Biothreats
OCTOBER 18, 2022
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/10/18/fact-sheet-biden-harris-administration-releases-strategy-to-strengthen-health-security-and-prepare-for-biothreats/

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<a642f281-1d19-48a3-ab32-0828509a168en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171598&group=rec.arts.tv#171598

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 18:50:19 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 02:50 UTC

On Wednesday, January 11, 2023 at 4:07:09 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 10, 2023 at 5:20:37 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:

> > > You sure that covid was not a manufactured crisis to end American power?

> > POTTINGER: Yeah, I think that- I don't- I'm not aware of any evidence, even circumstantial evidence, to suggest that this was a deliberate seeding of- of a pandemic by anybody.

> China announces sanctions on 28 U.S. individuals

> China has decided to sanction 28 persons who have seriously violated China's sovereignty and who have been mainly responsible for a series of crazy U.S. moves on China-related issues, a foreign ministry spokesperson announced on Thursday.

> They include Peter K. Navarro

> Over the past few years, some anti-China politicians in the United States have planned, promoted and executed the crazy moves which have gravely interfered in China's internal affairs, undermined China's interests, offended the Chinese people, and seriously disrupted China-U.S. relations

Navarro blasts Beijing for ‘spawning’ the coronavirus and then ‘seeding and spreading’ the disease
Published: July 7, 2020
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump-trade-adviser-navarro-blasts-beijing-for-spawning-the-coronavirus-and-then-seeding-and-spreading-the-disease-2020-07-03

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<eaa557b7-6f14-420c-9eb7-2ce74f48d8a8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171599&group=rec.arts.tv#171599

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 19:03:33 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 03:03 UTC

On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 1:38:17 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 8:14:22 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:

> Mr Pottinger, who speaks fluent Mandarin

> His older brother, Paul, is a virologist at the University of Washington.

Thousands of people can now assemble infectious viruses from a genome sequence and commercially available synthetic DNA, and numerous projects aim to find and publicly identify new viruses that could cause pandemics by characterizing their growth, transmission, and immune evasion capabilities in the laboratory.

Once these projects succeed, the world will face a significant new threat: If a single terrorist with the necessary skills were to release a new virus equivalent to SARS-CoV-2, which has claimed 20 million lives worldwide, that person would have killed more people than if they were to detonate a nuclear warhead in a dense city.

> TAGS: 2 virologists in the same family? that's an odd coincidence, mime's ongoing research

How a deliberate pandemic could crush societies and what to do about it
By Kevin Esvelt | November 15, 2022
https://thebulletin.org/2022/11/how-a-deliberate-pandemic-could-crush-societies-and-what-to-do-about-it/

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<c6b8d59b-4f27-411a-a9aa-a44b87478bccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171602&group=rec.arts.tv#171602

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 19:31:11 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 03:31 UTC

On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 4:00:25 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:

> MARGARET BRENNAN: --you have reason to believe a COVID-like disease was circulating in autumn of 2019 in China. Is there evidence to back up that assessment?
>
> POTTINGER: There is.

Where Did They Go? Millions Left Wuhan Before Quarantine
https://www.voanews.com/a/science-health_coronavirus-outbreak_where-did-they-go-millions-left-wuhan-quarantine/6183964.html

> in mid-October 2019 a delegation of 300 U.S. military athletes arrived in Wuhan to participate in the 2019 Military World games.

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<259d8a34-7e35-4f79-b481-d9838aa24761n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171603&group=rec.arts.tv#171603

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 19:55:47 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 03:55 UTC

On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 1:38:17 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 8:14:22 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:

> Mr Pottinger, who speaks fluent Mandarin, previously worked as a journalist for Reuters and The Wall Street Journal, including seven years as its China correspondent. In 2005, he became a US marine and served as a military intelligence officer

> His older brother, Paul, is a virologist at the University of Washington.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the CDC, has reported the first case in the United States of a new and deadly coronavirus. A resident of Washington state in the Seattle area is infected.
https://www.npr.org/2020/01/22/798392221/1st-u-s-case-of-coronavirus-confirmed-in-washington-state

Paul Pottinger doc at the U of Washington. Seattle
https://twitter.com/paulpottingermd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb1Thr-oAQw

> TAGS: 2 virologists in the same family? that's an odd coincidence, mime's ongoing research

Re: The Grand Chessboard

<ce90a2ff-bafc-424b-8ef6-23927ed64026n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171605&group=rec.arts.tv#171605

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 20:53:20 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 04:53 UTC

On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 12:27:01 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> In competitive sports there are two general ways to win. The first is to be better prepared, physically fitter, mentally tougher. The second way to win is to weaken the opponent, sabotage their effort.
>
> In the grand competition against China, the latter was the strategy used when the US dropped the biological covid bomb in Wuhan.
>

> "The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him."

The Origin and Management of COVID-19: Views from the U.S. Front Line
Center for Asia-Pacific Resilience and Innovation
206 views Streamed live on Jan 10, 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LgXv2UfT0c

As COVID-19 surges in China and elsewhere, how can more transparency and better coordination help the world prevent the next pandemic?

In advising the US government in national security and disease surveillance, Matt and Yen Pottinger were among the first to recognize the importance of effective scientific and policy leadership responding to the pandemic.

In this public forum moderated by Syaru Shirley Lin of the Center for Asia-Pacific Resilience and Innovation and the University of Virginia’s Miller Center of Public Affairs, the Pottingers reflect on successes, failures, and lessons in responding to COVID-19 and ongoing efforts to understand the pandemic’s origins to build resilient healthcare systems and improve governance for future crises.

(dead air space until 18:50 minute mark, begin watching there)