"When anyone says `theoretically,' they really mean `not really.'" -- David Parnas

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)A Friend
|+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)Dimensional Traveler
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
|| +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)Dimensional Traveler
|| |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
|| | `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)Dimensional Traveler
|| |  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
|| |   +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)Dimensional Traveler
|| |   |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
|| |   | `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)Dimensional Traveler
|| |   `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)Loren
|| |    `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
|| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)Ubiquitous
||  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
||   `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)Ubiquitous
||    `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
|`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)Ian J. Ball
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)Arthur Lipscomb
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)BTR1701
|  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)anim8rfsk

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<UBI20230108@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171270&group=rec.arts.tv#171270

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2023 04:30:40 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 09:30 UTC

I watched:

WE ARE THE 80'S

WE ARE THE 80'S

WE ARE THE 80'S

WE ARE THE 80'S

HISTORY'S GREATEST MYSTERIES:
"The Amber Room". One of World War II's greatest mysteries: a work of art
worth half a billion dollars, lost without a trace. Perhaps the single most
valuable object the Nazis ever stole, the quest for this treasure has lasted
over 75 years.

HISTORY'S GREATEST MYSTERIES:
"The Disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa". A powerful union activist
disappears from a Detroit suburb. 45 years later, it remains one of the
most notorious missing person cases of all time. The mystery of Jimmy
Hoffa's disappearance features more twists and turns than a Hollywood
movie, but the question remains: where is he?

THE LOVE BOAT
� "Captain and the Lady". Bonnie Franklin plays a bitchy cruise line
board board member who used to be married to the Captain.
� "Centerfold". Susan Summers plays the fiance of a politician who
posed for Playboy when she was in college and discovers her photos
were published in the latest issue, so she goes on a quest to
destroy all copies on the ship.
� "One If by Land". JJ Walker plays a stalker. I find it hard to
believe the crew divulged her cabin number to a man who just
wandered onto the ship.

THE JEFFERSONS:
"Former Neighbors". Two last-minute invitations collide: George invites
business magnate Coleman Harris to dinner on the same night that Louise
invites their earthy former neighbors Roy & Natalie Simms.

FAMILY GUY:
"Love Story Guy". The guys recount their first true love stories. Pretty
funny, but TBH, I have seen none of the movies they were spoofing, so I think
I missed most of the jokes. Oh, wait, I did see that watered-down Woody Allen
movie but slept thru most of it. Poor Cleveland can't get a break.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<090120230936184742%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171308&group=rec.arts.tv#171308

Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)
From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2023 09:36:18 -0500
 by: A Friend - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 14:36 UTC

In article <UBI20230108@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
wrote:

> HISTORY'S GREATEST MYSTERIES:
> "The Disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa". A powerful union activist
> disappears from a Detroit suburb. 45 years later, it remains one of the
> most notorious missing person cases of all time. The mystery of Jimmy
> Hoffa's disappearance features more twists and turns than a Hollywood
> movie, but the question remains: where is he?

I didn't think this was still a mystery. The mob killed Hoffa and
woodchipped the body because Hoffa had refused to end his Teamsters
comeback. You don't mess with mob guys.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<tphfj5$856s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171323&group=rec.arts.tv#171323

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 08:32:37 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 16:32 UTC

On 2023-01-09 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

Just NFL final week games (except for the final Chargers game which
wasn't televisized in the area): most relevant game was the 49ers game
(they killed Arizona!), though I did enjoy Detroit beating Green Bay
allowing the Seattle Seakhawks into the playoffs.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<tphhll$87ta$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171329&group=rec.arts.tv#171329

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 09:08:04 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 17:08 UTC

On 1/9/2023 8:32 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2023-01-09 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Just NFL final week games (except for the final Chargers game which
> wasn't televisized in the area): most relevant game was the 49ers game
> (they killed Arizona!), though I did enjoy Detroit beating Green Bay
> allowing the Seattle Seakhawks into the playoffs.

I watched:

I Spit on Your Grave (blu-ray) 1978 cult classic revenge flick. I
picked up a box set of the original and remake/sequels a while back. I
finally got around to watching them. I watched with a commentary by Joe
Bob Briggs. It turned out to be a very good commentary. He not only
takes a deep dive into the movie, he also goes in depth refuting the
negative reviews (particularly from Siskel and Ebert) that came out when
the movie was released. "If watching violent movies makes you violent,
I would have committed 97 murders by now." He also makes a good point
that movies like "Death Wish" and "Dirty Harry" about male revenge get a
pass but because this movie is about female revenge it's looked down upon.

I Spit on Your Grave (blu-ray) 2010 remake of the 1978 cult classic
revenge flick. I watched each of the movies in this franchise once
before but never back-to-back. Watching the 78 version and the 2010
version back-to-back it was very clear that the 78 version was superior.
The 2010 version is basically a retread with a slight plot change by
having the lead actress (Sarah Butler) escape her attackers, run to the
local sheriff only for the local sheriff to be friends with the original
attackers and join in on the assault. The other change is by making the
revenge side of the story much more elaborate. A minor change, which I
think was for the worse is in the 78 version the woman is vacationing at
a house by a lake. The lake factors into the plot. The remake loses
the lake, for the worse IMO.

I Spit on Your Grave 2 (blu-ray) 2013 revenge movie which has no
relation to the earlier movies in the franchise. This movie moves the
story to New York City and follows a model who is assaulted by assaulted
by a photographer after a "free" photo shoot. The guy also murders her
neighbor who tried to help. The guy and his friends frame her for the
murder then drug and ship her off to a European city. But when she
continues to resist them they later decide to kill her by burying her
alive. She escapes then sets out for revenge against him and his
friends. This one was even more brutal than the 2010 version in terms
of the graphic nature of the revenge segments. According to Wiki there
is an edited and unedited cut of this movie. The disc says it's
unedited, but based on the length I must have the edited version. I
don't even want to think about what more could have possibly been in the
unedited cut! But given what was in the movie maybe this was the
unedited version and wiki just got the movie length wrong.

I Spit on Your Grave III: Vengeance Is Mine (blu-ray) 2015 revenge movie
and direct sequel to the 2010 remake. Sarah Butler returns and is still
traumatized following the events of the first movie. She joins a rape
survivor's group where she hears stories of other survivors and decides
to become a vigilante and get revenge on behalf of the other survivors
in the group. I thought this wouldn't be as hard to watch as the
others, but it soon proved to be just as graphically violent. I tried
closing my eyes while watching these movies but with my ears I could
still hear, and it was a bit too much for me. Why do I watch movies
like this when I know I can't *watch* movies like this?

And yes, I know there is another I Spit on Your Grave sequel to the
original 78 out there somewhere.

Last House on the Left (blu-ray) - 2009 remake of the classic John
Carpenter movie. Sara Paxton stars a teenage girl who is hanging out
with her friend when a teenage boy (Spencer Treat Clark) walks into the
store where her friend works. The girls hit it off with the boy and
soon find themselves back at his hotel room smoking pot. But things
take a turn for the worst when the boy's psycho family (including Garret
Dillahunt and Aaron Paul) returns earlier than expected and decides to
take the girls out to murder them. However, one thing leads to another
and the psycho family wind up seeking shelter at the last house on the
left, which just happens to also be where the girl's parents (Tony
Goldwyn and Monica Potter) live. At first the parents welcome the
strangers in need of help but after realizing what really happened, they
go full on revenge flick on the psycho family. This was a pretty good
revenge flick with a nice budget and recognizable actors. And unlike
the other revenge flicks I watched, I didn't have to constantly close my
eyes while watching. Except for the last kill at the very end, that one
was hard to watch.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<oTmdnfw4BrJn0iH-nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171331&group=rec.arts.tv#171331

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2023 17:33:46 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 17:33 UTC

On Jan 9, 2023 at 9:08:04 AM PST, "Arthur Lipscomb"
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> I Spit on Your Grave 2 (blu-ray) 2013 revenge movie which has no
> relation to the earlier movies in the franchise. This movie moves the
> story to New York City and follows a model who is assaulted by assaulted
> by a photographer after a "free" photo shoot. The guy also murders her
> neighbor who tried to help. The guy and his friends frame her for the
> murder then drug and ship her off to a European city. But when she
> continues to resist them they later decide to kill her by burying her
> alive. She escapes then sets out for revenge against him and his
> friends. This one was even more brutal than the 2010 version in terms
> of the graphic nature of the revenge segments. According to Wiki there
> is an edited and unedited cut of this movie. The disc says it's
> unedited, but based on the length I must have the edited version. I
> don't even want to think about what more could have possibly been in the
> unedited cut!

Jill Wagner nekkidly nude?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<1993130551.694985396.789030.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171344&group=rec.arts.tv#171344

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 12:34:35 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 19:34 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article <UBI20230108@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
> wrote:
>
>> HISTORY'S GREATEST MYSTERIES:
>> "The Disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa". A powerful union activist
>> disappears from a Detroit suburb. 45 years later, it remains one of the
>> most notorious missing person cases of all time. The mystery of Jimmy
>> Hoffa's disappearance features more twists and turns than a Hollywood
>> movie, but the question remains: where is he?
>

> I didn't think this was still a mystery. The mob killed Hoffa and
> woodchipped the body because Hoffa had refused to end his Teamsters
> comeback. You don't mess with mob guys.

Snausages

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<2095244751.694985577.598896.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171345&group=rec.arts.tv#171345

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 12:34:36 -0700

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2023 at 9:08:04 AM PST, "Arthur Lipscomb"
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>> I Spit on Your Grave 2 (blu-ray) 2013 revenge movie which has no
>> relation to the earlier movies in the franchise. This movie moves the
>> story to New York City and follows a model who is assaulted by assaulted
>> by a photographer after a "free" photo shoot. The guy also murders her
>> neighbor who tried to help. The guy and his friends frame her for the
>> murder then drug and ship her off to a European city. But when she
>> continues to resist them they later decide to kill her by burying her
>> alive. She escapes then sets out for revenge against him and his
>> friends. This one was even more brutal than the 2010 version in terms
>> of the graphic nature of the revenge segments. According to Wiki there
>> is an edited and unedited cut of this movie. The disc says it's
>> unedited, but based on the length I must have the edited version. I
>> don't even want to think about what more could have possibly been in the
>> unedited cut!
>
> Jill Wagner nekkidly nude?

That would be so cool if she wasn’t going to hurt me.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<tphs06$9bc0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171346&group=rec.arts.tv#171346

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 12:04:24 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 20:04 UTC

I watched the first disc of 'The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones' box
set. This is the DVD set that Lucas Films released of their 'The Young
Indiana Jones Chronicles'. Basically they combined two episodes each to
make 22 "feature length" movies to release on disc instead of just
releasing the original episodes as is. There are LOTS of documentary
extras about the time period of each of these "movies", which can be
interesting, but there are also some continuity issues with the "movies"
like young Indie growing by six inches between the first half and the
second half of a movie.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<341686551.694993997.539891.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171350&group=rec.arts.tv#171350

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 14:54:32 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 21:54 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> I watched the first disc of 'The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones' box
> set. This is the DVD set that Lucas Films released of their 'The Young
> Indiana Jones Chronicles'. Basically they combined two episodes each to
> make 22 "feature length" movies to release on disc instead of just
> releasing the original episodes as is. There are LOTS of documentary
> extras about the time period of each of these "movies", which can be
> interesting, but there are also some continuity issues with the "movies"
> like young Indie growing by six inches between the first half and the
> second half of a movie.

Is this the set where they got rid of old Indiana Jones entirely?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<2056499967.694985229.636712.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171359&group=rec.arts.tv#171359

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 16:34:08 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 23:34 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> I watched:
>
> THE LOVE BOAT
> • "Captain and the Lady". Bonnie Franklin plays a bitchy cruise line
> board board member who used to be married to the Captain.

I have no idea why someone didn’t toss her character overboard.

> • "Centerfold". Susan Summers plays the fiance of a politician who
> posed for Playboy when she was in college and discovers her photos
> were published in the latest issue, so she goes on a quest to
> destroy all copies on the ship.

I’ve seen Suzanne Summers naked. I would help her destroy all copies.

> • "One If by Land". JJ Walker plays a stalker. I find it hard to
> believe the crew divulged her cabin number to a man who just
> wandered onto the ship.

Yeah, that was scary.

> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

The worst movie I’ve seen this year

THE OLD GUARD with Charlize Theron

Let me begin by saying that this is the first time the new NETFLIX has
stuck commercials all through the movie instead of just front loading them.
That certainly didn’t help any.

This is a shameless rip off of (mostly) HIGHLANDER, with big chunks of the
old Christopher George series THE IMMORTAL and a heaping helping of
Firefly’s SERENITY.

It’s hard to even say what’s worse. The writing, the direction, or (some
of) the acting. None of them rise above atrocious.

I have been doing outside reading just trying to figure out what a lot of
the plot is and especially the ending. Nobody seems to be quite sure. From
Ian‘s accounts on both Wikipedia and IMDb the whole production was a
nightmare. It’s based on a comic book and when Charlize came aboard she had
a horrible meeting with the comic book author and fired him and other
people wrote other scripts and then when the Director finally came aboard
she hired the comic book author back again.

SPOILERS

Here’s an example of how stupid this is. There’s a Japanese immortal who
has two scenes in the whole thing. The actress is apparently Vietnamese and
wanted the character to be the same as her. They of course instantly gave
in to this stupid request and changed her name and origin. For a bit
player. Who spends the whole movie dying and coming back to life in a
coffin underwater. Just like they did in that Highlander episode. Just like
they did in that ANGEL sequence. Why, if you might ask, is her request so
stupid? Her immortal character is older than Vietnam! How can she possibly
be Vietnamese? Her second scene is in the ending credits but you can only
read about it you can’t actually see it because Netflix won’t let you watch
the ending credits. It gives you the choice between “watch another movie
immediately“ or “watch the same other movie in about 20 seconds“ – there is
no provision for just watching the damn credits! And each time you try to
do it again you have to watch several commercials first.

So there are these immortals, right out of Highlander. And when somebody
new becomes immortal they can sense it so that they don’t have to worry
about things like plot. The billionaire from THE IMMORTAL is after them
for medical research and he’s hired the operative from SERENITY for the
same reason the operative was after River Tam.

The newest immortal is the leader of the all female mostly black marine
squad chasing down bad Muslims in Afghanistan. Because that’s a real thing.

She’s there so they can explain the rules of immortality to her but nobody
asks the hard questions like “why can’t you just throw yourself into a
composter and get made into gelatin? Will you really get better from that?”

The getting better is totally magical as their broken bones creek and crack
and straighten out as if being soothed by invisible fingers.

Nobody ever asks the Wolverine questions. If you get sliced in half which
half heals and what happens to the other half? One of the immortals wants
to die because he’s bored with the whole thing so he turns them over to the
operative to turn over to the billionaire. Why doesn’t he first try
wrapping himself around a few pounds of C-4 and getting atomized?

At the end they vary from the comic and somehow Charlize loses her
immortality but the narrative is all over the place as to when this
happened and if it was a result of the skimpy nonsensical plot or if it was
driving it and apparently she magically becomes immortal again at the end
although the dialogue would indicate she was always faking it and none of
it makes any sense at all. How the hell do you fake not healing?

The operative reveals at the end that somehow Charlize apparently has magic
psychic pre-cognitive abilities and the people she saves, their descendants
all go on to save the world a few decades later. Realizing this the
operative decides the best thing to do is to sell them for medical research
because… This movie is just that freaking stupid.

And I still have no idea if Charlize is immortal or not at the end.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<tpiard$atnv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171364&group=rec.arts.tv#171364

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 16:17:52 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 00:17 UTC

On 1/9/2023 1:54 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>> I watched the first disc of 'The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones' box
>> set. This is the DVD set that Lucas Films released of their 'The Young
>> Indiana Jones Chronicles'. Basically they combined two episodes each to
>> make 22 "feature length" movies to release on disc instead of just
>> releasing the original episodes as is. There are LOTS of documentary
>> extras about the time period of each of these "movies", which can be
>> interesting, but there are also some continuity issues with the "movies"
>> like young Indie growing by six inches between the first half and the
>> second half of a movie.
>>

> Is this the set where they got rid of old Indiana Jones entirely?

Yup.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<354590579.695010060.213621.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171367&group=rec.arts.tv#171367

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 19:22:56 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 02:22 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 1/9/2023 1:54 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>>> I watched the first disc of 'The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones' box
>>> set. This is the DVD set that Lucas Films released of their 'The Young
>>> Indiana Jones Chronicles'. Basically they combined two episodes each to
>>> make 22 "feature length" movies to release on disc instead of just
>>> releasing the original episodes as is. There are LOTS of documentary
>>> extras about the time period of each of these "movies", which can be
>>> interesting, but there are also some continuity issues with the "movies"
>>> like young Indie growing by six inches between the first half and the
>>> second half of a movie.
>>>

>> Is this the set where they got rid of old Indiana Jones entirely?
>>
> Yup.

Bah

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<tpiiji$bjgj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171370&group=rec.arts.tv#171370

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 18:30:12 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 02:30 UTC

On 1/9/2023 6:22 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>>>>

>>> Is this the set where they got rid of old Indiana Jones entirely?
>>>
>> Yup.
>>

> Bah

I'm sure you can find some way to blame the C-Wub.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<983686351.695015873.676348.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171378&group=rec.arts.tv#171378

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 21:14:51 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 04:14 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 1/9/2023 6:22 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Yup.
>>>

>> Bah
>>
> I'm sure you can find some way to blame the C-Wub.

I wonder if the original episodes are available in the gray?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<tpitfp$fam9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171384&group=rec.arts.tv#171384

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 21:35:56 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 05:35 UTC

On 1/9/2023 8:14 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Bah
>>>
>> I'm sure you can find some way to blame the C-Wub.
>>

> I wonder if the original episodes are available in the gray?

You'd know better than I would. Also I figured out how you can blame
the CW. CBS DVD is (was?) the distributor of the set. CBS is (was?) a
part of owner of CW (iirc). So obviously Lucas Films had nothing to do
with mangling and destroying the original series like George Lucas did
with Star Wars, it was all the CW's fault.

:D

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<1797792277.695039607.645843.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171404&group=rec.arts.tv#171404

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 03:34:17 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 10:34 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 1/9/2023 8:14 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> I'm sure you can find some way to blame the C-Wub.
>>>

>> I wonder if the original episodes are available in the gray?
>>
> You'd know better than I would. Also I figured out how you can blame
> the CW. CBS DVD is (was?) the distributor of the set. CBS is (was?) a
> part of owner of CW (iirc). So obviously Lucas Films had nothing to do
> with mangling and destroying the original series like George Lucas did
> with Star Wars, it was all the CW's fault.
>
> :D

Alternatively we might be able to blame Spielberg.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<tpjkcg$hhui$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171409&group=rec.arts.tv#171409

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 04:30:41 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 09:30 UTC

In article <090120230936184742%nope@noway.com>, nope@noway.com wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>> HISTORY'S GREATEST MYSTERIES:
>> "The Disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa". A powerful union activist
>> disappears from a Detroit suburb. 45 years later, it remains one of the
>> most notorious missing person cases of all time. The mystery of Jimmy
>> Hoffa's disappearance features more twists and turns than a Hollywood
>> movie, but the question remains: where is he?
>
>I didn't think this was still a mystery. The mob killed Hoffa and
>woodchipped the body because Hoffa had refused to end his Teamsters
>comeback. You don't mess with mob guys.

As my synopsis said, it was more about what happened to his body.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<tpjkhv$hhui$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171410&group=rec.arts.tv#171410

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 04:30:42 -0500

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>> I watched the first disc of 'The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones' box
>> set. This is the DVD set that Lucas Films released of their 'The Young
>> Indiana Jones Chronicles'. Basically they combined two episodes each to
>> make 22 "feature length" movies to release on disc instead of just
>> releasing the original episodes as is. There are LOTS of documentary
>> extras about the time period of each of these "movies", which can be
>> interesting, but there are also some continuity issues with the "movies"
>> like young Indie growing by six inches between the first half and the
>> second half of a movie.
>
> Is this the set where they got rid of old Indiana Jones entirely?

What?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<tpjv46$ikkd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171425&group=rec.arts.tv#171425

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 07:09:59 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 15:09 UTC

On 1/10/2023 2:34 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> I wonder if the original episodes are available in the gray?
>>>
>> You'd know better than I would. Also I figured out how you can blame
>> the CW. CBS DVD is (was?) the distributor of the set. CBS is (was?) a
>> part of owner of CW (iirc). So obviously Lucas Films had nothing to do
>> with mangling and destroying the original series like George Lucas did
>> with Star Wars, it was all the CW's fault.
>>
>> :D
>>

> Alternatively we might be able to blame Spielberg.

Don't think he was involved in the series. (At least IMDb doesn't think
he was.)

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<36525011.695078645.487797.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171458&group=rec.arts.tv#171458

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 14:26:21 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 21:26 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>>> I watched the first disc of 'The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones' box
>>> set. This is the DVD set that Lucas Films released of their 'The Young
>>> Indiana Jones Chronicles'. Basically they combined two episodes each to
>>> make 22 "feature length" movies to release on disc instead of just
>>> releasing the original episodes as is. There are LOTS of documentary
>>> extras about the time period of each of these "movies", which can be
>>> interesting, but there are also some continuity issues with the "movies"
>>> like young Indie growing by six inches between the first half and the
>>> second half of a movie.
>>
>> Is this the set where they got rid of old Indiana Jones entirely?
>
> What?

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles was originally presented by old Indy in
current time telling the stories to anybody that would listen. The stories
were about five-year-old Indy (those didn’t last long) or teenage Indie.

Later they revamped them and went in and cut out all of the 90 year old
Indiana Jones framing sequences. I don’t think they ever explained why
except they wanted to make a worse show.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<tpjkhw$hhui$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171477&group=rec.arts.tv#171477

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 18:12:47 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 23:12 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:

>>> Is this the set where they got rid of old Indiana Jones entirely?
>>
>> What?
>
>The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles was originally presented by old Indy in
>current time telling the stories to anybody that would listen. The stories
>were about five-year-old Indy (those didn't last long) or teenage Indie.
>
>Later they revamped them and went in and cut out all of the 90 year old
>Indiana Jones framing sequences. I don't think they ever explained why
>except they wanted to make a worse show.

I did not know that!

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<1299201121.695087854.396832.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171483&group=rec.arts.tv#171483

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 19:38:56 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 02:38 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>>> What?
>>
>> The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles was originally presented by old Indy in
>> current time telling the stories to anybody that would listen. The stories
>> were about five-year-old Indy (those didn't last long) or teenage Indie.
>>
>> Later they revamped them and went in and cut out all of the 90 year old
>> Indiana Jones framing sequences. I don't think they ever explained why
>> except they wanted to make a worse show.
>
> I did not know that!

It’s a dark, ugly chapter of our National Heritage.

Like Shia LaBoof

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<gi7vrh53842843r29amtmu26m0a4fj95b3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171607&group=rec.arts.tv#171607

From: feedb...@innermind_NOSPAM.com (Loren)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 21:48:19 -0800
 by: Loren - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 05:48 UTC

On Mon, 9 Jan 2023 21:14:51 -0700, anim8rfsk wrote:

>Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Bah
>>>
>> I'm sure you can find some way to blame the C-Wub.
>>

>I wonder if the original episodes are available in the gray?

All but 4 of the original episodes aired in the U.S. and those 4 aired
in other countries so they could be out there somewhere.

Loren

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-08 (Sunday)

<447920748.695204389.994803.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171610&group=rec.arts.tv#171610

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 01:20:16 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 08:20 UTC

Loren <feedback@innermind_NOSPAM.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jan 2023 21:14:51 -0700, anim8rfsk wrote:
>
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> I'm sure you can find some way to blame the C-Wub.
>>>

>> I wonder if the original episodes are available in the gray?
>
> All but 4 of the original episodes aired in the U.S. and those 4 aired
> in other countries so they could be out there somewhere.
>
> Loren

Thanks