The price of success in philosophy is triviality. -- C. Glymour.

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)anim8rfsk
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)Adam H. Kerman
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)anim8rfsk
|| +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)Ubiquitous
|| |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)anim8rfsk
|| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)Adam H. Kerman
||  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)anim8rfsk
||   `* Cinerama; A Summer Place (was: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday))Adam H. Kerman
||    `* Re: Cinerama; A Summer Place (was: What Did You Watch?anim8rfsk
||     `* Re: Cinerama; A Summer Place (was: What Did You Watch?Adam H. Kerman
||      `* Re: Cinerama; A Summer Place (was: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday))anim8rfsk
||       `- Re: Cinerama; A Summer Place (was: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday))Adam H. Kerman
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)Ubiquitous
||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)anim8rfsk
|`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)Dimensional Traveler
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)tenworld
 `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)anim8rfsk
  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)tenworld
   +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)suzeeq
   |+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)A Friend
   ||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)anim8rfsk
   |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)Adam H. Kerman
   | `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)suzeeq
   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)anim8rfsk

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)

<UBI20230109@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171408&group=rec.arts.tv#171408

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 04:30:40 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 09:30 UTC

After an arduous workout, I watched:

Nothing.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)

<1467220700.695111849.548480.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171495&group=rec.arts.tv#171495

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 00:13:05 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 07:13 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> After an arduous workout, I watched:
>
> Nothing.
>
> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

Hi ho the Dario *is* The Mayfair Witch
The DVR suggested I watch it. I’m not really sure what Avenue it got it
from. It wouldn’t record episode one but it would let me watch it from what
looked like on demand and it would let me set episodes two and three to
record in advance.
Anyway it’s great when high ho is on screen. It’s kind of dreary when she’s
not. When she straddles the guy in bed it gave me flashbacks to True
Detective except there’s no nudity naked or otherwise in this. Picture
quality was terrible. I had no idea Harry Hamlin was only 5 feet tall.

I’ll take a look at episode two but if Hi ho wasn’t in it it probably
would’ve been one and done.

THE BOSTON STRANGLER on TMC
One of the few Stoney Curtis movies I have never seen. It would probably
make a great stage play but it wasn’t much of a movie. Special guest Paula
Zahn did nothing but plug her show. Brief flashes of naked nudity.

My answer for what did I watch Tuesday is going to be nothing as it was
shot in the eye day.

HOW THE WEST WAS WON in smilebox on TMC

For those of you at home asking what the hell smile box is

https://youtu.be/vsaLOR8LNwc

This was kind of silly since I have it on Blu-ray but you know sometimes
stuff comes on and you watch it anyway

A SUMMER PLACE on TMC
Turgid pot boiler about Sandra Dee whose mother is insane and tries to deny
everybody everywhere any sort of sex. Troy Donahue plays the potential
boyfriend and they exchange dialogue like “are you bad? Have you ever been
bad? Have you ever been bad with a girl?“
Turns out their parents had been making the sign of the beast with two
backs right before they were born and nobody ever stops to ask the obvious
question if they’re brother and sister.
In perhaps the most unsavory scene ever committed to celluloid, the insane
mother brings in a doctor to strip Dee down and confirm she has not been
mauled just because she took a walk with Troy Donahue in the moonlight.
Sandra Dee’s mom turns out to be right because the first time they’re left
alone boinking ensues followed almost instantly by pregnancy.
Their parents get divorced and switch partners and dance.
The famous Summer Place theme gets really really old after a couple hours.

This was part of a Troy Donahue marathon. Before it there was a lee van
Cleef marathon.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)

<tpltu1$rkrt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171497&group=rec.arts.tv#171497

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 09:01:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 09:01 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>HOW THE WEST WAS WON in smilebox on TMC

TCM!

>For those of you at home asking what the hell smile box is

>https://youtu.be/vsaLOR8LNwc

>This was kind of silly since I have it on Blu-ray but you know sometimes
>stuff comes on and you watch it anyway

I watched a few minutes of it. I had no idea that was a thing. Just in
case I build a house with a room whose walls curve perfectly to project
Cinerama, that would work?

Cinerama was great for landscapes, but for acting, not so much. The actors
were typically framed in the center of the field of vision of the center
camera and had to be told to look at the camera. With two actors speaking
to each other, both had to look past each other and couldn't look directly
at the other actor.

>A SUMMER PLACE on TMC

TCM!

Theme from A Summer Place had to be the most played bit of Muzak ever.
It was on every single elevator for decades. The most famous version is
the instrumental played by the Percy Faith orchestra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRV0yHiEua8

In the movie, it's not actually the theme but the love theme between the
two yout's.

I saw this movie on TCM a few years ago. I didn't actually enjoy it but
I was aware of how popular it had been in its day and was curious. Wow.
Constance Ford was evil. I hope she had fun performing the character.

Poor Troy Donahue. This movie was the highlight of his career but he
flamed out very very quickly, and then got hooked on drugs. Sandra Dee
got a lyric in Grease!

>Turgid pot boiler about Sandra Dee whose mother is insane and tries to deny
>everybody everywhere any sort of sex. Troy Donahue plays the potential
>boyfriend and they exchange dialogue like "are you bad? Have you ever been
>bad? Have you ever been bad with a girl?"

Heh

>Turns out their parents had been making the sign of the beast with two
>backs right before they were born and nobody ever stops to ask the obvious
>question if they're brother and sister.

Everybody in the audience did. There had to be some explanation for the
mother's behavior. But the timing is not quite right.

>In perhaps the most unsavory scene ever committed to celluloid, the insane
>mother brings in a doctor to strip Dee down and confirm she has not been
>mauled just because she took a walk with Troy Donahue in the moonlight.

Yeah, that horrified me when I first saw it.

>Sandra Dee's mom turns out to be right because the first time they're left
>alone boinking ensues followed almost instantly by pregnancy.

I'm not sure they even had sex. It was a divine pregnancy or something.

>Their parents get divorced and switch partners and dance.
>The famous Summer Place theme gets really really old after a couple hours.

Every elevator. Every floor.

>This was part of a Troy Donahue marathon. Before it there was a lee van
>Cleef marathon.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)

<tpm9dk$smbi$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171523&group=rec.arts.tv#171523

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 04:30:41 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 09:30 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>> What did you watch?
>
> HOW THE WEST WAS WON in smilebox on TMC
>
> For those of you at home asking what the hell smile box is
> https://youtu.be/vsaLOR8LNwc

Heh. Was it intended to be shown on a 180 degree screen?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)

<1279616945.695134505.291316.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171528&group=rec.arts.tv#171528

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 06:20:11 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 13:20 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> HOW THE WEST WAS WON in smilebox on TMC
>>
>> For those of you at home asking what the hell smile box is
>> https://youtu.be/vsaLOR8LNwc
>
> Heh. Was it intended to be shown on a 180 degree screen?

Not quite but take a look at this from my good friend Marty’s widescreen
museum:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:How_Cinerama_is_projected.gif

The theater where I saw Star Wars 11 times the summer of 1977 had a
Cinerama screen but of course Star Wars was not a Cinerama movie so they
couldn’t hold focus. It changed at every reel change. Either the middle
third would be in focus or the outer thirds would be in focus but never the
whole thing.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)

<1620753557.695135047.981851.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171529&group=rec.arts.tv#171529

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 06:20:12 -0700

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> HOW THE WEST WAS WON in smilebox on TMC
>
> TCM!

Or that.

>> For those of you at home asking what the hell smile box is
>
>> https://youtu.be/vsaLOR8LNwc
>
>> This was kind of silly since I have it on Blu-ray but you know sometimes
>> stuff comes on and you watch it anyway
>
> I watched a few minutes of it. I had no idea that was a thing. Just in
> case I build a house with a room whose walls curve perfectly to project
> Cinerama, that would work?

Sort of but movie screens are more complex than that, typically perforated
with speakers behind them.

> Cinerama was great for landscapes, but for acting, not so much. The actors
> were typically framed in the center of the field of vision of the center
> camera and had to be told to look at the camera. With two actors speaking
> to each other, both had to look past each other and couldn't look directly
> at the other actor.

Yeah, and if you watch the flat presentations, you can see crap like that
happening.

>> A SUMMER PLACE on TMC
>
> TCM!

That too.

> Theme from A Summer Place had to be the most played bit of Muzak ever.
> It was on every single elevator for decades. The most famous version is
> the instrumental played by the Percy Faith orchestra.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRV0yHiEua8
>
> In the movie, it's not actually the theme but the love theme between the
> two yout's.
>
> I saw this movie on TCM a few years ago. I didn't actually enjoy it but
> I was aware of how popular it had been in its day and was curious. Wow.
> Constance Ford was evil. I hope she had fun performing the character.

Seriously.

> Poor Troy Donahue. This movie was the highlight of his career but he
> flamed out very very quickly, and then got hooked on drugs. Sandra Dee
> got a lyric in Grease!

Which may have been a direct reference to this film and not her character
in general.

>> Turgid pot boiler about Sandra Dee whose mother is insane and tries to deny
>> everybody everywhere any sort of sex. Troy Donahue plays the potential
>> boyfriend and they exchange dialogue like "are you bad? Have you ever been
>> bad? Have you ever been bad with a girl?"
>
> Heh
>
>> Turns out their parents had been making the sign of the beast with two
>> backs right before they were born and nobody ever stops to ask the obvious
>> question if they're brother and sister.
>
> Everybody in the audience did. There had to be some explanation for the
> mother's behavior. But the timing is not quite right.

Probably not although none of these people seem to be particularly reliable
narrators.

>> In perhaps the most unsavory scene ever committed to celluloid, the insane
>> mother brings in a doctor to strip Dee down and confirm she has not been
>> mauled just because she took a walk with Troy Donahue in the moonlight.
>
> Yeah, that horrified me when I first saw it.

And the zeal with which Constance Ford tells her to takeoff every single
stitch of clothing. What the hell is the doctor examining her feet for?

>> Sandra Dee's mom turns out to be right because the first time they're left
>> alone boinking ensues followed almost instantly by pregnancy.
>
> I'm not sure they even had sex. It was a divine pregnancy or something.

It plays like that, doesn’t it?

>> Their parents get divorced and switch partners and dance.
>> The famous Summer Place theme gets really really old after a couple hours.
>
> Every elevator. Every floor.

We had a volume control for the Muzak in our ceiling at the first office I
ever worked and we would turn it all the way down every day because it was
so incredibly annoying. But every morning it would be back on. All we could
figure is that they were paying off the janitorial staff.

>> This was part of a Troy Donahue marathon. Before it there was a lee van
>> Cleef marathon.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)

<tpme33$th86$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171533&group=rec.arts.tv#171533

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 08:37:39 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 13:37 UTC

In article <1620753557.695135047.981851.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>>> A SUMMER PLACE on TMC
>>> Turgid pot boiler about Sandra Dee whose mother is insane and tries to
>>> deny everybody everywhere any sort of sex. Troy Donahue plays the
>>> potential boyfriend and they exchange dialogue like "are you bad? Have
>>> you ever been bad? Have you ever been bad with a girl?"
>>> Turns out their parents had been making the sign of the beast with two
>>> backs right before they were born and nobody ever stops to ask the
>>> obvious question if they're brother and sister.
>>> In perhaps the most unsavory scene ever committed to celluloid, the
>>> insane mother brings in a doctor to strip Dee down and confirm she has
>>> not been mauled just because she took a walk with Troy Donahue in the
>>> moonlight.
>>> Sandra Dee's mom turns out to be right because the first time they're
>>> left alone boinking ensues followed almost instantly by pregnancy.
>>> Their parents get divorced and switch partners and dance.
>>> The famous Summer Place theme gets really really old after a couple
>>> hours.
>>
>> Every elevator. Every floor.
>
>We had a volume control for the Muzak in our ceiling at the first office I
>ever worked and we would turn it all the way down every day because it was
>so incredibly annoying. But every morning it would be back on. All we could
>figure is that they were paying off the janitorial staff.

Why did they put the volume control in the ceiling?

[Kerman's incorrect formatting fixed.]

--
lET'S GO bRANDON!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)

<e236095b-6535-4be8-9625-ff132fd79936n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171538&group=rec.arts.tv#171538

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 07:20:37 -0800 (PST)
From: ten...@world.std.com (tenworld)
 by: tenworld - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 15:20 UTC

On Tuesday, January 10, 2023 at 7:00:11 AM UTC-5, Ubiquitous wrote:
> After an arduous workout, I watched:
>
> Nothing.
>
> What did you watch?

NCIS triple play. a triple crossover that kinda works. they teased that Gibbs would return then they had Hettie at least
her voice back. The interactions between the 3 shows were interesting. Not sure why senior agents in one site would
be unaware of previous major investigations but that gave the actors chances to react. And apparently the showrunners
are big fans of the Jason Bourne books.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)

<tpmoir$ur9l$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171550&group=rec.arts.tv#171550

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 16:36:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 16:36 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>>anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>>>HOW THE WEST WAS WON in smilebox on TMC

>>TCM!

>Or that.

>>>For those of you at home asking what the hell smile box is

>>>https://youtu.be/vsaLOR8LNwc

>>>This was kind of silly since I have it on Blu-ray but you know sometimes
>>>stuff comes on and you watch it anyway

>>I watched a few minutes of it. I had no idea that was a thing. Just in
>>case I build a house with a room whose walls curve perfectly to project
>>Cinerama, that would work?

>Sort of but movie screens are more complex than that, typically perforated
>with speakers behind them.

Explain this to me. The one time I saw this, it was rectangular and
letterboxed. Does that mean the image I saw was compressed vertically,
especially from the left and right projectors?

How does the telecine process work to achieve smile box? Did they have to
build a miniature Cinerama auditorium wall to project upon?

During telecine, did each projector get processed separately or
together?
>>Cinerama was great for landscapes, but for acting, not so much. The actors
>>were typically framed in the center of the field of vision of the center
>>camera and had to be told to look at the camera. With two actors speaking
>>to each other, both had to look past each other and couldn't look directly
>>at the other actor.

>Yeah, and if you watch the flat presentations, you can see crap like that
>happening.

Right, but the image from the center projector projected onto a Cinerama
screen is flatter than that projected from left and right anyway. Every
performance ends up being literally stiff because the actors are
directed not to move around naturally, ridiculous given that it was a
location shoot.
>>>A SUMMER PLACE on TMC

>>TCM!

>That too.
>>Theme from A Summer Place had to be the most played bit of Muzak ever.
>>It was on every single elevator for decades. The most famous version is
>>the instrumental played by the Percy Faith orchestra.

>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRV0yHiEua8

>>In the movie, it's not actually the theme but the love theme between the
>>two yout's.

>>I saw this movie on TCM a few years ago. I didn't actually enjoy it but
>>I was aware of how popular it had been in its day and was curious. Wow.
>>Constance Ford was evil. I hope she had fun performing the character.

>Seriously.

>>Poor Troy Donahue. This movie was the highlight of his career but he
>>flamed out very very quickly, and then got hooked on drugs. Sandra Dee
>>got a lyric in Grease!

>Which may have been a direct reference to this film and not her character
>in general.

It was definitely a reference to her performance as Molly in this movie.

>>>Turgid pot boiler about Sandra Dee whose mother is insane and tries to deny
>>>everybody everywhere any sort of sex. Troy Donahue plays the potential
>>>boyfriend and they exchange dialogue like "are you bad? Have you ever been
>>>bad? Have you ever been bad with a girl?"

>>Heh

>>>Turns out their parents had been making the sign of the beast with two
>>>backs right before they were born and nobody ever stops to ask the obvious
>>>question if they're brother and sister.

>>Everybody in the audience did. There had to be some explanation for the
>>mother's behavior. But the timing is not quite right.

>Probably not although none of these people seem to be particularly reliable
>narrators.

Good point. I could see altering one of the children's ages by a year,
but in this case, it would have had to have been three years.
>>>In perhaps the most unsavory scene ever committed to celluloid, the insane
>>>mother brings in a doctor to strip Dee down and confirm she has not been
>>>mauled just because she took a walk with Troy Donahue in the moonlight.

>>Yeah, that horrified me when I first saw it.

>And the zeal with which Constance Ford tells her to takeoff every single
>stitch of clothing. What the hell is the doctor examining her feet for?

It wasn't a real doctor but a pornographic photographer.
>>>Sandra Dee's mom turns out to be right because the first time they're left
>>>alone boinking ensues followed almost instantly by pregnancy.

>>I'm not sure they even had sex. It was a divine pregnancy or something.

>It plays like that, doesn’t it?

Yeah
>>>Their parents get divorced and switch partners and dance.
>>>The famous Summer Place theme gets really really old after a couple hours.

>>Every elevator. Every floor.

>We had a volume control for the Muzak in our ceiling at the first office I
>ever worked and we would turn it all the way down every day because it was
>so incredibly annoying. But every morning it would be back on. All we could
>figure is that they were paying off the janitorial staff.

At least you knew where the control was.
>>>This was part of a Troy Donahue marathon. Before it there was a lee van
>>>Cleef marathon.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)

<tpmrqa$vc8d$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171553&group=rec.arts.tv#171553

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 09:31:56 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 17:31 UTC

On 1/10/2023 11:13 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> After an arduous workout, I watched:
>>
>> Nothing.
>>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Hey, thanks for asking!
>
> Hi ho the Dario *is* The Mayfair Witch
> The DVR suggested I watch it. I’m not really sure what Avenue it got it
> from.

Its an AMC show.

As for me I watched more of young Indiana Jones. At this point I'm
actually watching the discs more for the documentaries than the actual
edited show. Its a miracle young Indie survived to puberty, let alone
adulthood.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)

<190775445.695152127.367596.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171564&group=rec.arts.tv#171564

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 13:19:26 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 20:19 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> In article <1620753557.695135047.981851.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>> Every elevator. Every floor.
>>
>> We had a volume control for the Muzak in our ceiling at the first office I
>> ever worked and we would turn it all the way down every day because it was
>> so incredibly annoying. But every morning it would be back on. All we could
>> figure is that they were paying off the janitorial staff.
>
> Why did they put the volume control in the ceiling?

That’s where the Muzak speakers were, in the suspended ceiling in an office
building.

> [Kerman's incorrect formatting fixed.]
>
> --
> lET'S GO bRANDON!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)

<1258695658.695174064.837638.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171586&group=rec.arts.tv#171586

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 18:27:44 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 01:27 UTC

tenworld <ten@world.std.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 10, 2023 at 7:00:11 AM UTC-5, Ubiquitous wrote:
>> After an arduous workout, I watched:
>>
>> Nothing.
>>
>> What did you watch?
>
> NCIS triple play. a triple crossover that kinda works. they teased that
> Gibbs would return then they had Hettie at least
> her voice back. The interactions between the 3 shows were interesting.
> Not sure why senior agents in one site would
> be unaware of previous major investigations but that gave the actors
> chances to react. And apparently the showrunners
> are big fans of the Jason Bourne books.

Nobody is reading my dedicated thread to this, NCIS triathlon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)

<36517409.695174300.963206.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171587&group=rec.arts.tv#171587

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 18:27:44 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 01:27 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>> TCM!
>
>> Or that.

>>> I watched a few minutes of it. I had no idea that was a thing. Just in
>>> case I build a house with a room whose walls curve perfectly to project
>>> Cinerama, that would work?
>
>> Sort of but movie screens are more complex than that, typically perforated
>> with speakers behind them.
>
> Explain this to me. The one time I saw this, it was rectangular and
> letterboxed. Does that mean the image I saw was compressed vertically,
> especially from the left and right projectors?

Dammit, Marty Hart’s wide screen museum has gone 404. I sure hope that’s
just temporary.

I would have preferred to show you what the camera looks like but I’ll try
just to describe it. Basically the camera looks like three cameras get
bashed into one facing the same angles as the projectors do. So you’ve got
three cameras simultaneously taking three movies in (IIRC) 4:3 aspect
ratio. If you put those side-by-side with no compensation you get the
extremely wide flat image you’ve seen before. The problem is the image at
the two seams will be bigger than the centers of the three images and so
stuff will get bigger and smaller as it moves left to right through the
image which is why stuff usually doesn’t move left to right through the
image.

Smilebox is made in the computer. They take the three images you’ve
already seen side-by-side and distort them to make the curve effect.
Annoyingly they’ve never done it quite right and people are usually too
tall and skinny. I suspect they didn’t wanna make it any shorter or have
any actual letterboxing at the top and bottom lest the crazy people start
screaming about letterboxing.

Note that I’m talking about the original true Cinerama. Later Cinerama
films were just shot super wide on large format cameras. There are also
competitors and there’s a competitor for smilebox called Ultra Wide or
something. There aren’t really enough of these damn films to need to carve
up the market!

A bigger problem than the distortion is trying to make the seams, well,
seamless. They were always very evident in the movie theater. This again is
something done in the computer for smilebox.

> How does the telecine process work to achieve smile box? Did they have to
> build a miniature Cinerama auditorium wall to project upon?

Lol
No, they telecine each of the three sections separately and composite it
all in the computer.

> During telecine, did each projector get processed separately or
> together?

Three separate telecine sessions. Although I would imagine they do the
center first and make a note of any corrections like that this scene Hass
to be lightened up and then use those corrections on the other two
sections.

>>> Cinerama was great for landscapes, but for acting, not so much. The actors
>>> were typically framed in the center of the field of vision of the center
>>> camera and had to be told to look at the camera. With two actors speaking
>>> to each other, both had to look past each other and couldn't look directly
>>> at the other actor.
>
>> Yeah, and if you watch the flat presentations, you can see crap like that
>> happening.
>
> Right, but the image from the center projector projected onto a Cinerama
> screen is flatter than that projected from left and right anyway. Every
> performance ends up being literally stiff because the actors are
> directed not to move around naturally, ridiculous given that it was a
> location shoot.

As they warned you in Ghostbusters “don’t cross the seams“!

>>> TCM!
>
>> That too.
>
>>> Theme from A Summer Place had to be the most played bit of Muzak ever.
>>> It was on every single elevator for decades. The most famous version is
>>> the instrumental played by the Percy Faith orchestra.
>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRV0yHiEua8
>
>>> In the movie, it's not actually the theme but the love theme between the
>>> two yout's.
>
>>> I saw this movie on TCM a few years ago. I didn't actually enjoy it but
>>> I was aware of how popular it had been in its day and was curious. Wow.
>>> Constance Ford was evil. I hope she had fun performing the character.
>
>> Seriously.
>
>>> Poor Troy Donahue. This movie was the highlight of his career but he
>>> flamed out very very quickly, and then got hooked on drugs. Sandra Dee
>>> got a lyric in Grease!
>
>> Which may have been a direct reference to this film and not her character
>> in general.
>
> It was definitely a reference to her performance as Molly in this movie.

>>> Heh

>>> Everybody in the audience did. There had to be some explanation for the
>>> mother's behavior. But the timing is not quite right.
>
>> Probably not although none of these people seem to be particularly reliable
>> narrators.
>
> Good point. I could see altering one of the children's ages by a year,
> but in this case, it would have had to have been three years.

I was never sure how old the two kids were. They were under 21 because they
wouldn’t let them get married and said that was the age of consent. But he
still had years to go before graduating college and then mandatory military
service before he could get married which probably makes him 18 or so. But
if she’s three years younger than him then she’s young enough that it makes
the whole thing creepy.

>>> Yeah, that horrified me when I first saw it.
>
>> And the zeal with which Constance Ford tells her to takeoff every single
>> stitch of clothing. What the hell is the doctor examining her feet for?
>
> It wasn't a real doctor but a pornographic photographer.

Also, what does the mother intend to do if the doctor does declare her
daughter has been mauled?

>>> I'm not sure they even had sex. It was a divine pregnancy or something.
>
>> It plays like that, doesn’t it?
>
> Yeah

And, come on, if you were this terrified that if your kids are ever alone
for five minutes the girl is going to get pregnant (which she did) start
handing out the birth control!

>>> Every elevator. Every floor.
>
>> We had a volume control for the Muzak in our ceiling at the first office I
>> ever worked and we would turn it all the way down every day because it was
>> so incredibly annoying. But every morning it would be back on. All we could
>> figure is that they were paying off the janitorial staff.
>
> At least you knew where the control was.

It was just a visible rheostat with the standard RadioShack control knob
right smack in the middle of the speaker. Every day I turned it down and
every night they turned it all the way back up again…

https://youtu.be/JMVH1W9PfOg

https://youtu.be/Zjt4SLUg7PY

There's a summer place
Where it may rain or storm
Yet I'm safe and warm
For within that summer place
Your arms reach out to me
And my heart is free from all care
For it knows
There are no gloomy skies
When seen through the eyes
Of those who are blessed with love
And the sweet secret of
A summer place
Is that it's anywhere
When two people share
All their hopes
All their dreams
All their love
There's a summer place
Where it may rain or storm
Yet I'm safe and warm
In your arms, in your arms
In your arms, in your arms
In your arms, in your arms

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)

<07d3c128-d2ac-47ea-aa41-ce85749022ddn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171633&group=rec.arts.tv#171633

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 08:03:18 -0800 (PST)
From: ten...@world.std.com (tenworld)
 by: tenworld - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 16:03 UTC

On Wednesday, January 11, 2023 at 8:27:48 PM UTC-5, anim8rfsk wrote:
> tenworld <t...@world.std.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, January 10, 2023 at 7:00:11 AM UTC-5, Ubiquitous wrote:
> >> After an arduous workout, I watched:
> >>
> >> Nothing.
> >>
> >> What did you watch?
> >
> > NCIS triple play. a triple crossover that kinda works. they teased that
> > Gibbs would return then they had Hettie at least
> > her voice back. The interactions between the 3 shows were interesting.
> > Not sure why senior agents in one site would
> > be unaware of previous major investigations but that gave the actors
> > chances to react. And apparently the showrunners
> > are big fans of the Jason Bourne books.
> >
> Nobody is reading my dedicated thread to this, NCIS triathlon!
> --
> The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it is still on my list.
sorry i have trouble finding threads with those assholes flooding the spam.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)

<tppejl$10gvf$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171638&group=rec.arts.tv#171638

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 09:04:53 -0800
 by: suzeeq - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 17:04 UTC

On 1/12/2023 8:03 AM, tenworld wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 11, 2023 at 8:27:48 PM UTC-5, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> tenworld <t...@world.std.com> wrote:

>>> NCIS triple play. a triple crossover that kinda works. they teased that
>>> Gibbs would return then they had Hettie at least
>>> her voice back. The interactions between the 3 shows were interesting.
>>> Not sure why senior agents in one site would
>>> be unaware of previous major investigations but that gave the actors
>>> chances to react. And apparently the showrunners
>>> are big fans of the Jason Bourne books.
>>>
>> Nobody is reading my dedicated thread to this, NCIS triathlon!

> sorry i have trouble finding threads with those assholes flooding the spam.

Set up killfiles. I use them and get only about half the messages the
headers say there are.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)

<120120231246036056%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171639&group=rec.arts.tv#171639

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 12:46:03 -0500
 by: A Friend - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 17:46 UTC

In article <tppejl$10gvf$1@solani.org>, suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

> On 1/12/2023 8:03 AM, tenworld wrote:

> >> Nobody is reading my dedicated thread to this, NCIS triathlon!
>

> > sorry i have trouble finding threads with those assholes flooding the spam.
>
> Set up killfiles. I use them and get only about half the messages the
> headers say there are.

Yes, set up killfiles. The other bit is to never reply to spam, even
in annoyance. Some knotheads insist on doing so, even though the
spammer will never see the replies. All replying does is extend the
life of the spam. Sometimes I think the knotheads reply on purpose as
part of the spam, other times I think it's just because they're
knotheads.

Cinerama; A Summer Place (was: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday))

<tppkfj$1bcva$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171645&group=rec.arts.tv#171645

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Cinerama; A Summer Place (was: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday))
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 18:45:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 18:45 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>>anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>>>Or that.

>>>Sort of but movie screens are more complex than that, typically perforated
>>>with speakers behind them.

>>Explain this to me. The one time I saw this, it was rectangular and
>>letterboxed. Does that mean the image I saw was compressed vertically,
>>especially from the left and right projectors?

>Dammit, Marty Hart's wide screen museum has gone 404. I sure hope that's
>just temporary.

Works for me.

http://widescreenmuseum.com/

>I would have preferred to show you what the camera looks like but I'll try
>just to describe it. Basically the camera looks like three cameras get
>bashed into one facing the same angles as the projectors do. So you've got
>three cameras simultaneously taking three movies in (IIRC) 4:3 aspect
>ratio.

I was aware it's three cameras mounted on one stand fixed at precise
angles and that the entire unit was heavy as hell and was subject to
vibration if they tried to dolly forward or back. I don't know if they
came up with something to suppress vibration if the entire apparatus was
moved. The tracks would have needed to be, er, wide gauge. Normally, the
camera was fixed in position and the actors were told not to leave their
marks.

>If you put those side-by-side with no compensation you get the
>extremely wide flat image you've seen before. The problem is the image at
>the two seams will be bigger than the centers of the three images and so
>stuff will get bigger and smaller as it moves left to right through the
>image which is why stuff usually doesn't move left to right through the
>image.

Oh! Of course. That's why it had to remain still. It wasn't because of
the vibration issue.

>Smilebox is made in the computer. They take the three images you've
>already seen side-by-side and distort them to make the curve effect.
>Annoyingly they've never done it quite right and people are usually too
>tall and skinny. I suspect they didn't wanna make it any shorter or have
>any actual letterboxing at the top and bottom lest the crazy people start
>screaming about letterboxing.

Thanks.

>Note that I'm talking about the original true Cinerama. Later Cinerama
>films were just shot super wide on large format cameras. There are also
>competitors and there's a competitor for smilebox called Ultra Wide or
>something. There aren't really enough of these damn films to need to carve
>up the market!

No, you're right.

>A bigger problem than the distortion is trying to make the seams, well,
>seamless. They were always very evident in the movie theater. This again is
>something done in the computer for smilebox.

I don't think that would have bothered me, but I've never seen anything
in a proper Cinerama theater.
>>How does the telecine process work to achieve smile box? Did they have to
>>build a miniature Cinerama auditorium wall to project upon?

>Lol
>No, they telecine each of the three sections separately and composite it
>all in the computer.

That I wouldn't have guessed. Seems more difficult to do it that way.

>>During telecine, did each projector get processed separately or
>>together?

>Three separate telecine sessions. Although I would imagine they do the
>center first and make a note of any corrections like that this scene Hass
>to be lightened up and then use those corrections on the other two
>sections.

Thanks

>>>Yeah, and if you watch the flat presentations, you can see crap like that
>>>happening.

>>Right, but the image from the center projector projected onto a Cinerama
>>screen is flatter than that projected from left and right anyway. Every
>>performance ends up being literally stiff because the actors are
>>directed not to move around naturally, ridiculous given that it was a
>>location shoot.

>As they warned you in Ghostbusters "don't cross the seams"!

That movie script was prophetic!

>>>That too.

>>>Seriously.

>>>Probably not although none of these people seem to be particularly reliable
>>>narrators.

>>Good point. I could see altering one of the children's ages by a year,
>>but in this case, it would have had to have been three years.

>I was never sure how old the two kids were. They were under 21 because they
>wouldn't let them get married and said that was the age of consent.

That was beyond idiotic. The novel took place over several decades. I've
never read it. The movie took place over a few years. No state had 21 as
age of consent at any point in American history. California was unusual
with age of consent at 18 in the 19th century which was higher than any
other state.

Also stupid was the divorce provision in which the child custody
decision prevented Sylvia (Dorothy McGuire) from seeing her daughter.
Courts don't normally make such restrictive child custody arrangements
for older teenagers because the judge assume the child is old enough to
chose when to see the other parent.

>But he still had years to go before graduating college and then mandatory
>military service before he could get married which probably makes him
>18 or so. But if she's three years younger than him then she's young
>enough that it makes the whole thing creepy.

I took it that the two of them were the same age, but I really had no
idea.

Did you ever read about the actress's childhood? She was a model at a
very young age and ruined her health with a starvation diet that nearly
killed her. Her stepfather raped her repeatedly from age 10 or so. She
was probably abused LESS in Hollywood than growing up. Her life was a
real life melodrama.

>>>And the zeal with which Constance Ford tells her to takeoff every single
>>>stitch of clothing. What the hell is the doctor examining her feet for?

>>It wasn't a real doctor but a pornographic photographer.

>Also, what does the mother intend to do if the doctor does declare her
>daughter has been mauled?

I never understood why Molly kept going back to her mother time and time
again. Her mother was never going to stop abusing her.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)

<tppkkb$1bcva$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171646&group=rec.arts.tv#171646

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 18:47:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 18:47 UTC

suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:
>On 1/12/2023 8:03 AM, tenworld wrote:

>>>. . .

>>sorry i have trouble finding threads with those assholes flooding the spam.

>Set up killfiles. I use them and get only about half the messages the
>headers say there are.

He's using Google Groups. You need to advise him to subscribe to a
genuine News server and learn to use a proper newsreader on a desktop
computer.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)

<tpppkk$10mfp$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171647&group=rec.arts.tv#171647

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 12:13:08 -0800
 by: suzeeq - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 20:13 UTC

On 1/12/2023 10:47 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

>>> sorry i have trouble finding threads with those assholes flooding the spam.
>
>> Set up killfiles. I use them and get only about half the messages the
>> headers say there are.
>
> He's using Google Groups. You need to advise him to subscribe to a
> genuine News server and learn to use a proper newsreader on a desktop
> computer.

I think you just did.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)

<346711414.695247599.141573.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171651&group=rec.arts.tv#171651

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 13:36:37 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 20:36 UTC

tenworld <ten@world.std.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 11, 2023 at 8:27:48 PM UTC-5, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> tenworld <t...@world.std.com> wrote:

>>> NCIS triple play. a triple crossover that kinda works. they teased that
>>> Gibbs would return then they had Hettie at least
>>> her voice back. The interactions between the 3 shows were interesting.
>>> Not sure why senior agents in one site would
>>> be unaware of previous major investigations but that gave the actors
>>> chances to react. And apparently the showrunners
>>> are big fans of the Jason Bourne books.
>>>
>> Nobody is reading my dedicated thread to this, NCIS triathlon!
>> --
>> The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it is still on my list.
> sorry i have trouble finding threads with those assholes flooding the spam.

LOL

No problem!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday)

<1055600787.695247664.535781.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171652&group=rec.arts.tv#171652

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 13:36:38 -0700

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article <tppejl$10gvf$1@solani.org>, suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

>>> sorry i have trouble finding threads with those assholes flooding the spam.
>>
>> Set up killfiles. I use them and get only about half the messages the
>> headers say there are.

I see more like 10%. It routinely tells me there are may be 150 new posts
and I only get a dozen.

> Yes, set up killfiles. The other bit is to never reply to spam, even
> in annoyance. Some knotheads insist on doing so, even though the
> spammer will never see the replies. All replying does is extend the
> life of the spam. Sometimes I think the knotheads reply on purpose as
> part of the spam, other times I think it's just because they're
> knotheads.

Re: Cinerama; A Summer Place (was: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday))

<843380523.695283121.298851.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171708&group=rec.arts.tv#171708

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Cinerama; A Summer Place (was: What Did You Watch?
2023-01-09 (Monday))
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 23:43:06 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 13 Jan 2023 06:43 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>> Explain this to me. The one time I saw this, it was rectangular and
>>> letterboxed. Does that mean the image I saw was compressed vertically,
>>> especially from the left and right projectors?
>
>> Dammit, Marty Hart's wide screen museum has gone 404. I sure hope that's
>> just temporary.
>
> Works for me.
>
> http://widescreenmuseum.com/

That gives me a “500 internal server error“ in the NewsTap browser but it
works in Safari. Go figure.

>> I would have preferred to show you what the camera looks like but I'll try
>> just to describe it. Basically the camera looks like three cameras get
>> bashed into one facing the same angles as the projectors do. So you've got
>> three cameras simultaneously taking three movies in (IIRC) 4:3 aspect
>> ratio.
>
> I was aware it's three cameras mounted on one stand fixed at precise
> angles and that the entire unit was heavy as hell and was subject to
> vibration if they tried to dolly forward or back. I don't know if they
> came up with something to suppress vibration if the entire apparatus was
> moved. The tracks would have needed to be, er, wide gauge. Normally, the
> camera was fixed in position and the actors were told not to leave their
> marks.

There are some amazing shots especially during the train sequence in how
the West was won that leave you wondering how the hell they got the camera
where they had to get the camera.

>> If you put those side-by-side with no compensation you get the
>> extremely wide flat image you've seen before. The problem is the image at
>> the two seams will be bigger than the centers of the three images and so
>> stuff will get bigger and smaller as it moves left to right through the
>> image which is why stuff usually doesn't move left to right through the
>> image.
>
> Oh! Of course. That's why it had to remain still. It wasn't because of
> the vibration issue.
>
>> Smilebox is made in the computer. They take the three images you've
>> already seen side-by-side and distort them to make the curve effect.
>> Annoyingly they've never done it quite right and people are usually too
>> tall and skinny. I suspect they didn't wanna make it any shorter or have
>> any actual letterboxing at the top and bottom lest the crazy people start
>> screaming about letterboxing.
>
> Thanks.
>
>> Note that I'm talking about the original true Cinerama. Later Cinerama
>> films were just shot super wide on large format cameras. There are also
>> competitors and there's a competitor for smilebox called Ultra Wide or
>> something. There aren't really enough of these damn films to need to carve
>> up the market!
>
> No, you're right.
>
>> A bigger problem than the distortion is trying to make the seams, well,
>> seamless. They were always very evident in the movie theater. This again is
>> something done in the computer for smilebox.
>
> I don't think that would have bothered me, but I've never seen anything
> in a proper Cinerama theater.

They were a big deal when I was a kid. Of course we hadn’t seen many movies
in a regular theater so we didn’t know the difference. I know I saw it’s a
Mad Mad Mad Mad world at the Kachina Cinerama and was left cold because I
didn’t know any of these old comedians or that they were supposed to be
funny. We saw Hatari there but that’s not a Cinerama film and I was too
young to remember what sort of changes they made. I definitely saw how the
West was won there. But for some reason I saw Krakatoa East of Java
ironically on the west side of town at the Bethany Home theater where my
parents took me for the kiddie matinees. I saw the wonderful world of the
brothers Grimm somewhere, probably the Kachina. I definitely saw 2001 at
the Kachina. And Grand Prix, which dad wanted to see for the cars and mom
wanted to see for James Garner.

>>> How does the telecine process work to achieve smile box? Did they have to
>>> build a miniature Cinerama auditorium wall to project upon?
>
>> Lol
>> No, they telecine each of the three sections separately and composite it
>> all in the computer.
>
> That I wouldn't have guessed. Seems more difficult to do it that way.

Only way to do it without building a custom telecine. Or as you said
projecting it and re-filming the projection but that would be a serious
generation loss.

<tpsaq6$1m53m$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171770&group=rec.arts.tv#171770

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
2023-01-09 (Monday))
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 19:18:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 13 Jan 2023 19:18 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>>anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>. . .

>>>Lol
>>>No, they telecine each of the three sections separately and composite it
>>>all in the computer.

>>That I wouldn't have guessed. Seems more difficult to do it that way.

>Only way to do it without building a custom telecine. Or as you said
>projecting it and re-filming the projection but that would be a serious
>generation loss.

I have no clue how telecine is done. Is it essentially a contact print,
light shot through each frame pressed up against a video lens? That's
not projection but there's still got to be light through a frame of
film.

>>. . .

>The two sets of parents got married close together but I have no idea how
>Sandra D's father ever impregnated her mother at all.

This movie was filled with immaculate conceptions, wasn't it. How would
the two of them have even gotten their bags into their hotel room during the
honeymoon? Helen would have insulted the boy and he'd have tossed the
luggage into the swimming pool.

>>>Also, what does the mother intend to do if the doctor does declare her
>>>daughter has been mauled?

>>I never understood why Molly kept going back to her mother time and time
>>again. Her mother was never going to stop abusing her.

>Her mother got custody for some reason. She said the father got her one
>month a year.

I wasn't talking about the custody arrangement, which no family court
would have ordered against the child's wishes considering her age. I
meant, she would have run away. There simply wouldn't have been a
choice. But nothing about this story resembles real life in any way.

>>>And, come on, if you were this terrified that if your kids are ever alone
>>>for five minutes the girl is going to get pregnant (which she did) start
>>>handing out the birth control!

>>The condom had been invented centuries earlier, but no character in the
>>movies or tv has ever mastered its use. It was too early for The Pill.

>There were moments when I found myself wondering if this was taking place
>in the 1800s...

>Now, condoms were still difficult to get even in the 1970s but that's why
>I'm suggesting the parents get involved!

Shudder

Re: Cinerama; A Summer Place (was: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday))

<2058684681.695331967.466047.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171779&group=rec.arts.tv#171779

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 13:08:00 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 13 Jan 2023 20:08 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> . . .

>>> That I wouldn't have guessed. Seems more difficult to do it that way.
>
>> Only way to do it without building a custom telecine. Or as you said
>> projecting it and re-filming the projection but that would be a serious
>> generation loss.
>
> I have no clue how telecine is done. Is it essentially a contact print,
> light shot through each frame pressed up against a video lens? That's
> not projection but there's still got to be light through a frame of
> film.

At its most basic level, yes. But usually you have a chip of some sort like
you would have in a video camera right there up against the film frame.

When I first started supervising transfers it was the dawn of the brand new
shiny Rank Cintel flying spot scanner. Do you want to know the coolest
thing about those? When they blow a board they explode in a huge puff of
white smoke just like a control panel in an Irwin Allen show or for that
matter Star Trek. Yes, that actually happens. I was standing right there.

Anyway there are a lot of variations you can do at the transfer level. The
basic machine just uses the edge of the film as a reference but that causes
some left right drift which they referred to as rank weave. For a serious
price upgrade you can do it pin registered instead where it uses the
sprocket holes And the image is now rock steady and your wallet quite a bit
lighter. If you’ve got a big old scratch in your film they can put on a
liquid gate where the whole thing is done in fluid which fills in the
scratches. You can do some minor shifting around to center the image. I
always put a lineup chart on the beginning of anything I shot because you
never know if the previous guy had some thing off-center and the machine
was still set up for him!

https://www.earlytelevision.org/images/rank_cintel_mkIII.jpg

>>> . . .
>
>> The two sets of parents got married close together but I have no idea how
>> Sandra D's father ever impregnated her mother at all.
>
> This movie was filled with immaculate conceptions, wasn't it. How would
> the two of them have even gotten their bags into their hotel room during the
> honeymoon? Helen would have insulted the boy and he'd have tossed the
> luggage into the swimming pool.

I understand, or at least acknowledge, Sandra D’s father getting married on
the rebound because his great love married somebody else. But I have no
idea where the hell he found Sandra Dee’s mother or why they were even
dating. The only thing that makes sense is if he was already rich enough
to be a catch but he wasn’t or he probably would’ve married the woman he
really likes. I don’t think he became a millionaire until later. And
certainly they didn’t get married because she was pregnant.

>>> I never understood why Molly kept going back to her mother time and time
>>> again. Her mother was never going to stop abusing her.
>
>> Her mother got custody for some reason. She said the father got her one
>> month a year.
>
> I wasn't talking about the custody arrangement, which no family court
> would have ordered against the child's wishes considering her age. I
> meant, she would have run away. There simply wouldn't have been a
> choice. But nothing about this story resembles real life in any way.

I’d of put somebody in the hospital but I am not a tiny skinny 80 pound
girl and wasn’t even back then.

I don’t see how running away would have been an option. She didn’t have a
money source. When they did that her dad was off island on business. I
suppose I’d have run far enough away to keep that from happening and hidden
in the rocks until dad got back.

>>> The condom had been invented centuries earlier, but no character in the
>>> movies or tv has ever mastered its use. It was too early for The Pill.
>
>> There were moments when I found myself wondering if this was taking place
>> in the 1800s...
>
>> Now, condoms were still difficult to get even in the 1970s but that's why
>> I'm suggesting the parents get involved!
>
> Shudder

Well, yeah. I think I’d of appreciated it if dad tossed me a pack of
condoms which were kept under the counter at convenient stores in the days
it would’ve mattered to me or you could get them from the dispenser
machines at rest stops in the middle of the Mojave desert. I always sort of
wondered who the hell has a need to get laid in the middle of the Mojave
desert.

Re: Cinerama; A Summer Place (was: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-09 (Monday))

<tpsfv4$1mtp2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171785&group=rec.arts.tv#171785

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 20:46:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 13 Jan 2023 20:46 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>. . .

>When I first started supervising transfers . . .

Thank you for the interesting description.