"If you understand what you're doing, you're not learning anything." -- A. L.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)anim8rfsk
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)anim8rfsk
|| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)BTR1701
||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)anim8rfsk
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)anim8rfsk
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
|| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)shawn
|+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)shawn
|+* Blue Bloods, was: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)danny burstein
||`- Re: Blue Bloods, was: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)anim8rfsk
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
| +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
| |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)anim8rfsk
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)anim8rfsk
|  +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)Adam H. Kerman
|  |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)anim8rfsk
|  | +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
|  | |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)Adam H. Kerman
|  | | `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)Milan James
|  | `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)Adam H. Kerman
|  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)Ian J. Ball

1
What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<UBI20221021@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161773&group=rec.arts.tv#161773

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 04:30:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 08:30 UTC

I watched:

THE UNXPLAINED:
"The Search For Extraterrestrial Life". Space. The Final Frontier and
the ultimate mystery. Scientists are involved in a never-ending quest
to understand the vast universe our planet inhabits.

THE PROOF IS OUT THERE:
"Aswang, Crashed on Mars, and Giant Wolves".

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<1135561120.688140716.783395.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161778&group=rec.arts.tv#161778

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 07:47:23 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 14:47 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> I watched:
>

> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

BLUE BLOODS
Another boring episode save for one important mythology revelation. We
finally find out that Frank did not become PC directly after Henry. There
was a crooked PC in between them who was Henry’s second in command and got
the job after he managed to get Henry fired by the mayor and then when they
got the goods on him he was forced to resign and Frank was his second in
command so he got the job. So all they need to do now is get Jamie in there
as Frank’s chief of department and he can take over.

In one of the stupidest scenes on the show Frank and the crooked PC’s widow
(as they kept referring to her even though she wasn’t) visit the guys
office where he was supposedly helping charity the last 15 years and it’s a
completely empty office. It’s got a desk and empty cabinets. Not a piece of
paper. Why the hell wouldn’t he have a stapler and a stack of magazines or
something on the desk to make it look like it was a real job? And then
Frank takes the money he saved by skimping on the funeral and gives it to
the charity that had been giving the PC a fake job for 15 years. Why the
hell do they deserve a reward for that? I’d have started the procedure to
shut the place down.
Meanwhile

Jamie does weird stuff in his new job

Erin decides that it’s more important to prosecute shoplifters than gun
dealers in her running for mayor. At least they call her on it, instantly.

Danny’s psychic gets hit in the head and it cures her but unfortunately her
magic powers come back at the end.

Eddie continues to be insane and seems to be infecting others. We learned
that it’s OK to commit felonies if you’re a woman and a guy ghosts you.

I realized I hadn’t watched any of this season of NCIS LOS ANGELES like I
had intended to since they’re going to do some sort of crossover and I
wanted to see what the state of the team was. So I struggled through both
CBS on demand and Paramont plus. It’s hard to say which sucks more. Anyway
it’s the same old boring lame show. In episode one they try to convince us
Hetty is dead which obviously we’re not going to buy since she’s still
pictured in the main titles. They did however dial back on the Muslim
component. Last season they were featuring the new Muslim characters over
all the existing characters. This season they’re showing them in the order
you’d expect. And they had black bad guys!
Admiral Simon and Simon is nastier than ever to the point where I suspect
he will be taken down by friendly fire and good riddance.

BULLITT (1968) on TCM
I’ve seen bits and pieces of this over the years and read the MAD magazine
parody but I’ve never just sat down and watched the darn thing. So this was
my chance.

Darn good movie even if it seems awfully dated and if you want to hum the
theme from the streets of San Francisco whenever they’re driving their cars
fast. Host Ben Mankiewicz must have received some sort of head injury. He
said that the plot of this is inexplicable and you just watch it for the
action. I have no idea what part of the plot he couldn’t figure out other
than how Steve McQueen tracked down cab driver Robert Duvall. Jacqueline
Bisset seems to be channeling her role as Miss good thighs not that there’s
anything wrong with that. The lack of cell phones is just painful. People
driving around in cabs stopping at every phone booth on the street corners.
And people just carrying hand guns in their coat pockets onto airplanes!
Mankiewicz said Spielberg has announced he’s going to make a new movie with
the same character. Go figure.

TRICK ‘R TREAT on Movies.
Five rambling supposedly scary stories one featuring a lot of hot girls
mostly Lauren Lee Smith who for some reason has big boobs. Ian would like
this. Me, I was annoyed that they spelled the title wrong. This movie
needed a lot of gratuitous nudity which it may have had before Movies got a
hold of it.

THE FOG
For some reason movies showed this entire film in 2.35:1 when they center
cut most other stuff. Go figure. Adrienne Barbeau runs a radio station in a
lighthouse that only broadcasts from 6 PM to 1 AM. Jamie Lee Curtis is a
big old slut and as ugly as she is I still wouldn’t be interested. This is
like the 14th time I’ve tried to watch this film and rather predictably by
now I fell sound asleep about 20 minutes in. The music sounded suspiciously
like HALLOWEEN.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<tj12n5$ujih$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161780&group=rec.arts.tv#161780

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 08:37:10 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 15:37 UTC

On 2022-10-22 14:47:23 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> I watched:
>>

>> What did you watch?
>
> Hey, thanks for asking!
>
> BLUE BLOODS
>
> BULLITT (1968) on TCM
>
> TRICK ‘R TREAT on Movies.
> Five rambling supposedly scary stories one featuring a lot of hot girls
> mostly Lauren Lee Smith who for some reason has big boobs. Ian would like
> this. Me, I was annoyed that they spelled the title wrong. This movie
> needed a lot of gratuitous nudity which it may have had before Movies got a
> hold of it.

Not available for free on a streamer (except Kanopy, which doesn't count!!).

Bummer, as I would have watched this... :(

> THE FOG
> For some reason movies showed this entire film in 2.35:1 when they center
> cut most other stuff. Go figure. Adrienne Barbeau runs a radio station in a
> lighthouse that only broadcasts from 6 PM to 1 AM. Jamie Lee Curtis is a
> big old slut and as ugly as she is I still wouldn’t be interested. This is
> like the 14th time I’ve tried to watch this film and rather predictably by
> now I fell sound asleep about 20 minutes in. The music sounded suspiciously
> like HALLOWEEN.

This is one of those movies that only works because of 1) the
atmospherics, 2) the music (see #1), and 3) the ending. Otherwise,
yeah, it basically kind of drags.

That said, the original is *leagues* better than the absolutely awful remake!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<tj13kb$ullk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161783&group=rec.arts.tv#161783

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 08:52:43 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 15:52 UTC

On 2022-10-22 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

baseball - The Padres put in a valiant but losing effort in Game 3.
They need to even the series with the Phillies in Game 4, or they are
probably toast.

soaps: GH - They pull a bait-and-switch! They want you to think the
woman that pulls herself out of the lake is Lucy, but it turns out to
be... Holly! (Emma Samms). Based on the storyline, it seems like Samms
may actually be sticking around for a while this time - I wonder if
they had to "disappear" Lucy for a while, in order to "afford" Emma
Samms... Meanwhile, Epiphany takes the MCATs (after freaking out on
Marshall!). Olivia continues to be a bitch to Nina, who's not going
anywhere at the hotel. Michael and Ned bicker. Trina and Rory the cop
go off on their trip.

I had "Bad Nanny" on LMN on as background noise while I did some
grading I really wanted to get out of the way, which means I paid the
movie almost no attention - it was nothing we hadn't seen before:
secret bastard(?) sister out for Revenge! REVENGE!! gets a job as her
sister's nanny, and wackiness and sabotage ensues. Meh.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<atropos-57DDCE.09200922102022@ec2-18-101-80-69.eu-south-2.compute.amazonaws.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161788&group=rec.arts.tv#161788

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 09:20:09 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 16:20 UTC

In article
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> > I watched:
> >

> > What did you watch?

I watched MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE on the Netflix. A pretty faithful
adaptation of the novella. I enjoyed it.

> Hey, thanks for asking!
>
> BLUE BLOODS
> Another boring episode save for one important mythology revelation. We
> finally find out that Frank did not become PC directly after Henry. There
> was a crooked PC in between them who was Henry's second in command and got
> the job after he managed to get Henry fired by the mayor and then when they
> got the goods on him he was forced to resign and Frank was his second in
> command so he got the job. So all they need to do now is get Jamie in there
> as Frank's chief of department and he can take over.
>
> In one of the stupidest scenes on the show Frank and the crooked PC's widow
> (as they kept referring to her even though she wasn't) visit the guy's
> office where he was supposedly helping charity the last 15 years and it's a
> completely empty office. It's got a desk and empty cabinets. Not a piece of
> paper. Why the hell wouldn't he have a stapler and a stack of magazines or
> something on the desk to make it look like it was a real job? And then
> Frank takes the money he saved by skimping on the funeral and gives it to
> the charity that had been giving the PC a fake job for 15 years. Why the
> hell do they deserve a reward for that? I'd have started the procedure to
> shut the place down.
> Meanwhile
>
> Jamie does weird stuff in his new job
>
> Erin decides that it's more important to prosecute shoplifters than gun
> dealers in her running for mayor.

She's not running for mayor, is she?

> Danny's psychic gets hit in the head and it cures her but unfortunately her
> magic powers come back at the end.
>
> Eddie continues to be insane and seems to be infecting others. We learned
> that it's okay to commit felonies if you're a woman and a guy ghosts you.

Mainstream entertainment has been teaching us that for years. Just look
at the hit Kerry Underwood song "Before He Cheats":

Right now he's probably slow-dancin'
With a bleached-blonde tramp and she's probably gettin' frisky.
Right now he's probably buyin' her some fruity little drink
'Cause she can't shoot whiskey.
Right now he's probably up behind her with a pool stick
Showin' her how to shoot a combo.
And he don't know...

I dug my key into the side
Of his pretty little souped-up 4-wheel drive,
Carved my name into his leather seats.
I took a Louisville Slugger to both headlights,
I slashed a hole in all four tires.
Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats.

If a male singer put out a song like that, the howls of outrage from the
feminist brigade would be deafening. There'd be calls to ban the song
from the radio, for stores to stop selling the album, for the singer to
be canceled completely for advocating violence against women.

But the response to Underwood's song? "You go, girl!" and "Slay, queen!"

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<56213774.688149649.983658.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161793&group=rec.arts.tv#161793

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 09:56:08 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 16:56 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> [...]
> Right now he's probably buyin' her some fruity little drink
> 'Cause she can't shoot whiskey.
> Right now he's probably up behind her with a pool stick
> Showin' her how to shoot a combo.
> And he don't know...
>
> I dug my key into the side
> Of his pretty little souped-up 4-wheel drive,
> Carved my name into his leather seats.
> I took a Louisville Slugger to both headlights,
> I slashed a hole in all four tires.
> Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats.
>
> If a male singer put out a song like that, the howls of outrage from the
> feminist brigade would be deafening. There'd be calls to ban the song
> from the radio, for stores to stop selling the album, for the singer to
> be canceled completely for advocating violence against women.
>
> But the response to Underwood's song? "You go, girl!" and "Slay, queen!"

Seriously, Eddie brought Joe’s car that Jamie has been restoring to work to
show it to her partner and before they even got to rollcall the partners
old squeeze did $1000 worth of damage to it. I don’t even know why unless
she was hiding and saw Jamie get out and decided to go after her instead of
her ex. And Jamie let her off on the whole thing, didn’t even make her pay
for the windshield, because the ex had ghosted her.

Me, I’m thinking she deserved to be ghosted!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<688572951.688149110.014088.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161794&group=rec.arts.tv#161794

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 09:56:07 -0700

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2022-10-22 14:47:23 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>> I watched:
>>>

>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> BLUE BLOODS
>>
>> BULLITT (1968) on TCM
>>
>> TRICK ‘R TREAT on Movies.
>> Five rambling supposedly scary stories one featuring a lot of hot girls
>> mostly Lauren Lee Smith who for some reason has big boobs. Ian would like
>> this. Me, I was annoyed that they spelled the title wrong. This movie
>> needed a lot of gratuitous nudity which it may have had before Movies got a
>> hold of it.
>
> Not available for free on a streamer (except Kanopy, which doesn't count!!).
>
> Bummer, as I would have watched this... :(

It’s on AMC Monday at 8 PM my time and again Saturday, October 29 on AMC in
the afternoon.

>> THE FOG
>> For some reason movies showed this entire film in 2.35:1 when they center
>> cut most other stuff. Go figure. Adrienne Barbeau runs a radio station in a
>> lighthouse that only broadcasts from 6 PM to 1 AM. Jamie Lee Curtis is a
>> big old slut and as ugly as she is I still wouldn’t be interested. This is
>> like the 14th time I’ve tried to watch this film and rather predictably by
>> now I fell sound asleep about 20 minutes in. The music sounded suspiciously
>> like HALLOWEEN.
>
> This is one of those movies that only works because of 1) the
> atmospherics, 2) the music (see #1), and 3) the ending. Otherwise,
> yeah, it basically kind of drags.
>
> That said, the original is *leagues* better than the absolutely awful remake!

I’ve never even tried to watch that.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<2039578585.688149817.291691.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161796&group=rec.arts.tv#161796

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 09:56:09 -0700
> [...]

> TRICK ‘R TREAT on Movies.
> Five rambling supposedly scary stories one featuring a lot of hot girls
> mostly Lauren Lee Smith who for some reason has big boobs. Ian would like
> this. Me, I was annoyed that they spelled the title wrong. This movie
> needed a lot of gratuitous nudity which it may have had before Movies got a
> hold of it.
>
> THE FOG
> For some reason movies showed this entire film in 2.35:1 when they center
> cut most other stuff. Go figure. Adrienne Barbeau runs a radio station in a
> lighthouse that only broadcasts from 6 PM to 1 AM. Jamie Lee Curtis is a
> big old slut and as ugly as she is I still wouldn’t be interested. This is
> like the 14th time I’ve tried to watch this film and rather predictably by
> now I fell sound asleep about 20 minutes in. The music sounded suspiciously

I forgot death in Paradise S11E01.

Joséphine Jobert is back (albeit briefly) and we get a good idea why she
left the show this time. Between seasons she literally put on 20 or 30
pounds and it’s all in her legs which went from cute little legs they
showed off in shorts to solid tree trunks. She’s only 35 and she’s got the
legs of a 50 year old! Her face looks about the same to match too.

I watched a movie the other night where one protagonist told the other “you
never go Full Felicity Smoake (snicker)”

>> --
>> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<tj1et9$vnvq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161800&group=rec.arts.tv#161800

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 12:05:14 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 19:05 UTC

On 2022-10-22 16:56:07 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>>
>>> BLUE BLOODS
>>>
>>> BULLITT (1968) on TCM
>>>
>>> TRICK ‘R TREAT on Movies.
>>> Five rambling supposedly scary stories one featuring a lot of hot girls
>>> mostly Lauren Lee Smith who for some reason has big boobs. Ian would like
>>> this. Me, I was annoyed that they spelled the title wrong. This movie
>>> needed a lot of gratuitous nudity which it may have had before Movies got a
>>> hold of it.
>>
>> Not available for free on a streamer (except Kanopy, which doesn't count!!).
>>
>> Bummer, as I would have watched this... :(
>
> It’s on AMC Monday at 8 PM my time and again Saturday, October 29 on AMC in
> the afternoon.

With ads?!?!! NEVER!!! ;p

>>> THE FOG
>>> For some reason movies showed this entire film in 2.35:1 when they center
>>> cut most other stuff. Go figure. Adrienne Barbeau runs a radio station in a
>>> lighthouse that only broadcasts from 6 PM to 1 AM. Jamie Lee Curtis is a
>>> big old slut and as ugly as she is I still wouldn’t be interested. This is
>>> like the 14th time I’ve tried to watch this film and rather predictably by
>>> now I fell sound asleep about 20 minutes in. The music sounded suspiciously
>>> like HALLOWEEN.
>>
>> This is one of those movies that only works because of 1) the
>> atmospherics, 2) the music (see #1), and 3) the ending. Otherwise,
>> yeah, it basically kind of drags.
>>
>> That said, the original is *leagues* better than the absolutely awful remake!
>
> I’ve never even tried to watch that.

Don't!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<tj1f77$vp1r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161801&group=rec.arts.tv#161801

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 12:10:32 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 19:10 UTC

On 2022-10-22 16:56:09 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> I forgot death in Paradise S11E01.

Oh, you mean "DEATH in Paradise"!!

You had me greatly confused! :S

> Joséphine Jobert is back (albeit briefly) and we get a good idea why she
> left the show this time. Between seasons she literally put on 20 or 30
> pounds and it’s all in her legs which went from cute little legs they
> showed off in shorts to solid tree trunks. She’s only 35 and she’s got the
> legs of a 50 year old! Her face looks about the same to match too.
>
> I watched a movie the other night where one protagonist told the other “you
> never go Full Felicity Smoake (snicker)”

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<otg8lh9ptua4emjbj2cl3555a3iv1li7pd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161802&group=rec.arts.tv#161802

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 15:40:41 -0400
 by: shawn - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 19:40 UTC

On Sat, 22 Oct 2022 07:47:23 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> I watched:
>>

>> What did you watch?
>
>Hey, thanks for asking!
>

>BULLITT (1968) on TCM
>I’ve seen bits and pieces of this over the years and read the MAD magazine
>parody but I’ve never just sat down and watched the darn thing. So this was
>my chance.

Been a long time since I've watched this. Should add it to my rewatch
list.

>TRICK ‘R TREAT on Movies.
>Five rambling supposedly scary stories one featuring a lot of hot girls
>mostly Lauren Lee Smith who for some reason has big boobs. Ian would like
>this. Me, I was annoyed that they spelled the title wrong. This movie
>needed a lot of gratuitous nudity which it may have had before Movies got a
>hold of it.

Lauren Lee Smith with big boobs? This does not compute.

>THE FOG
>For some reason movies showed this entire film in 2.35:1 when they center
>cut most other stuff. Go figure. Adrienne Barbeau runs a radio station in a
>lighthouse that only broadcasts from 6 PM to 1 AM. Jamie Lee Curtis is a
>big old slut and as ugly as she is I still wouldn’t be interested. This is
>like the 14th time I’ve tried to watch this film and rather predictably by
>now I fell sound asleep about 20 minutes in. The music sounded suspiciously
>like HALLOWEEN.

I enjoyed this movie. I picked up the remake but haven't gotten around
to watching it yet so I can't compare the two.

I watched FIRE COUNTRY where we get weed dealers who are growing their
weed in the trees when a fire breaks out. First weed dealers we run
into are also weed thieves who get their weed by stealing it from the
weed growths that are hidden in the trees. One comes stumbling into
the fire fighters while on fire and tells them his buddy is still out
there. So fire dad and bad boyfriend head out to find the buddy.

Which they do but his trapped in a pit with a spike through his leg at
the illegal weed grow. Before they can get him out of the pit the weed
dealers drive up in their ATVs, pull out their weapons and start
constantly threatening to shoot them even as the lead guy is concerned
about the weed thief not dying. Of course our hero and the dad from
Lucifer (not the big guy) have to go out to talk the weed dealer down
because Bodie knows him from his bad boy days. Eventually Bodie
manages to talk down his former buddy and every leaves in an old van
by driving it through the fire. (Not advised in real life.)

Of course there's also the B plot of Jake (the reformed bad boyfriend)
planning to admit to his having cheated on his former girlfriend which
helped lead to Riley dying, while his girlfriend starts her training
day as a CalFire recruit (two weeks of training before she has to work
on real fires.) Of course he wimps out on telling CalFire dad about
his having cheated on his daughter. Which gives CalFire mom the chance
to push CalFire dad to go talk with his son, Bodie, and push Bodie to
tell him what happened back when Riley died. So now he knows that Jake
never told him the truth behind that night which is going to put a
strain on their relationship (as he was treating Jake like his son.)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<rsh8lhlsa43ii2r1c9iq5i7foi43dtedoe@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161827&group=rec.arts.tv#161827

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 17:14:57 -0400
 by: shawn - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 21:14 UTC

On Sat, 22 Oct 2022 12:10:32 -0700, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>On 2022-10-22 16:56:09 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> I forgot death in Paradise S11E01.
>
>Oh, you mean "DEATH in Paradise"!!
>
>You had me greatly confused! :S
>
>> Joséphine Jobert is back (albeit briefly) and we get a good idea why she
>> left the show this time. Between seasons she literally put on 20 or 30
>> pounds and it’s all in her legs which went from cute little legs they
>> showed off in shorts to solid tree trunks. She’s only 35 and she’s got the
>> legs of a 50 year old! Her face looks about the same to match too.

That reminds me of the Schmidt character on Grey's Anatomy who put on
a lot of weight between seasons. Which is hard to imagine happening in
the real world when he's constantly kept on the run and doesn't even
have time to eat.
>> I watched a movie the other night where one protagonist told the other “you
>> never go Full Felicity Smoake (snicker)”

Blue Bloods, was: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<tj1oe4$352$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161832&group=rec.arts.tv#161832

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Blue Bloods, was: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 21:47:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 21:47 UTC

In <1135561120.688140716.783395.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> writes:

[snip]
>BLUE BLOODS
>Another boring episode save for one important mythology revelation. We
>finally find out that Frank did not become PC directly after Henry. There
>was a crooked PC in between them who was Henry's second in command and got
>the job after he managed to get Henry fired by the mayor and then when they
>got the goods on him he was forced to resign and Frank was his second in
>command so he got the job. So all they need to do now is get Jamie in there
>as Frank's chief of department and he can take over.
>Jamie does weird stuff in his new job
>Eddie continues to be insane and seems to be infecting others. We learned
>that it's OK to commit felonies if you're a woman and a guy ghosts you.

Forget all that stuff. What was Abigail Hawk wearing
for her 30 seconds on camera?

dannyb@panix.com

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<tj2dlk$14s9l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161877&group=rec.arts.tv#161877

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 20:50:12 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 03:50 UTC

On 10/22/2022 7:47 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> [...]
> it’s the same old boring lame show. In episode one they try to convince us
> Hetty is dead which obviously we’re not going to buy since she’s still
> pictured in the main titles. They did however dial back on the Muslim
> component. Last season they were featuring the new Muslim characters over
> all the existing characters. This season they’re showing them in the order
> you’d expect. And they had black bad guys!
> Admiral Simon and Simon is nastier than ever to the point where I suspect
> he will be taken down by friendly fire and good riddance.
>
> BULLITT (1968) on TCM
> I’ve seen bits and pieces of this over the years and read the MAD magazine
> parody but I’ve never just sat down and watched the darn thing. So this was
> my chance.
>
> Darn good movie even if it seems awfully dated

If I recall correctly, this movie has a primitive fax machine that was
about the size of a car. Or at least as big as a corporate copy machine.

and if you want to hum the
> theme from the streets of San Francisco whenever they’re driving their cars
> fast. Host Ben Mankiewicz must have received some sort of head injury. He
> said that the plot of this is inexplicable and you just watch it for the
> action. I have no idea what part of the plot he couldn’t figure out other
> than how Steve McQueen tracked down cab driver Robert Duvall. Jacqueline
> Bisset seems to be channeling her role as Miss good thighs not that there’s
> anything wrong with that. The lack of cell phones is just painful. People
> driving around in cabs stopping at every phone booth on the street corners.
> And people just carrying hand guns in their coat pockets onto airplanes!
> Mankiewicz said Spielberg has announced he’s going to make a new movie with
> the same character. Go figure.

I don't recall the plot of the movie but I know it has the famous car chase.

> TRICK ‘R TREAT on Movies.
> Five rambling supposedly scary stories one featuring a lot of hot girls
> mostly Lauren Lee Smith who for some reason has big boobs. Ian would like
> this. Me, I was annoyed that they spelled the title wrong. This movie
> needed a lot of gratuitous nudity which it may have had before Movies got a
> hold of it.

Did they at least show it in the proper 2.35 aspect ratio? I've watched
it a couple of times but I cannot remember any of the stories. I'm
skipping it this Halloween. And unless it gets a 4K release I'll
probably skip it next Halloween too. But I'll circle back around to it
eventually. Since I can never remember any of the stories rewatching it
isn't so bad, but I do know going in it's just OK.

Coincidentally, I'm heading out today to a local horror convention where
two of the actors from this movie will be featured.

> THE FOG
> For some reason movies showed this entire film in 2.35:1 when they center
> cut most other stuff. Go figure. Adrienne Barbeau runs a radio station in a
> lighthouse that only broadcasts from 6 PM to 1 AM. Jamie Lee Curtis is a
> big old slut and as ugly as she is I still wouldn’t be interested. This is
> like the 14th time I’ve tried to watch this film and rather predictably by
> now I fell sound asleep about 20 minutes in. The music sounded suspiciously
> like HALLOWEEN.

I've never cared much for the Fog. I think I've only watched it all the
way through once, *maybe* twice. It just got a 4K release but I didn't
even consider buying it to give it a second chance.

I watched:

The Peripheral (Amazon streaming) - "Pilot" - New sci-fi series starring
Chloë Grace Moretz as a young woman who lives in an unspecified future
that seems to be on the verge of post apocalypse. It's unclear what
exactly happened, but it seems to be just slightly better than how
things were during the first Mad Max movie.

Anyway, she lives with her mother and brother. Her mother is deathly
sick and her brother makes money playing virtual video games. But Chloë
is actually the brains behind that operation. People hire him because
he's a man, but she will occasionally sub in for him and defeat levels
he can't pass himself. One day the brother is sent some advance tech
from a mysterious company that has hired him to test out their new tech
/ "game." Chloë plugs in instead and finds herself in a "virtual" world
that for all intents and purposes is real. She can actually feel what
is happening to the body (a copy of her brother) she is in. She also
has a handler who has assigned her a task to complete which involves
kidnapping some important person. Chloë thinks all of this is just a game.

Now what I, and I'm assuming the audience has already figured out is
this isn't a virtual simulation. She has been transported into the
future. Based on a tag at the start of the episode which set the year
at 2099, I am 99.99% sure of it! Her handler in the future even makes a
comment about how she and everyone she knows will likely be dead within
10 years. I'm assuming whenever Chloë is, is before 2099 and something
is going to happen that wipes out a chunk of humanity and the people
from the future are trying to stop it from happening. I have no idea
how these future people are manipulating the past to such a degree, but
they clearly have the ability to contact and interact with the past
beyond the "game." The "game" simply allows someone from the past to
interact with the future. So far the show is off to a good start, and
I'm already hooked.

"Empathy Bonus" - Episode 2 picks up where episode 1 ended, but thanks
to seeing something in the future she wasn't meant to see a rival
faction from the future hires a hit squad to kill Chloë and everyone
close to her. The assassins are from the present, but they get some
cool future tech. This episode also confirms and flat out explains that
yes Chloë is traveling to the future. But, and I am seriously impressed
they went there, they explain that since people from the future are
interacting with the past she is now from a branched off timeline. This
also explains how people in the future can seriously not care what they
do to the past or who they kill, since it will have no impact on them.
And I'm guessing almost everyone is going to die anyway from whatever is
going to happen. This raises the question, "Are we real to you?" But
now I'm at a loss because I had assumed the people from the future were
attempting to change things. I guess that's not the case, and I still
have no idea what the motives are. Or why they'd bother trying to kill
people in a now branched off past timeline.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<tj2ea2$14umo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161878&group=rec.arts.tv#161878

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 21:01:06 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 04:01 UTC

On 2022-10-23 03:50:12 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> I watched:
>

> The Peripheral (Amazon streaming) - "Pilot" - New sci-fi series
> starring Chloë Grace Moretz as a young woman who lives in an
> unspecified future that seems to be on the verge of post apocalypse.
> It's unclear what exactly happened, but it seems to be just slightly
> better than how things were during the first Mad Max movie.

Wait, this is already out?!!

I guess what I know what I am watching with tomorrow night's dinner!! :)

> Hocus Pous 2 (Disney+) Just checking this off my list. I didn't care
> much for the original, and didn't care much for this more of the same
> sequel.

I have never even sampled the original, and have no intention of
watching the sequel!!

Re: Blue Bloods, was: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<1734938592.688198734.500488.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161908&group=rec.arts.tv#161908

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 23:42:55 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 06:42 UTC

danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
> In <1135561120.688140716.783395.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> writes:
>
> [snip]
>> BLUE BLOODS
>> Another boring episode save for one important mythology revelation. We
>> finally find out that Frank did not become PC directly after Henry. There
>> was a crooked PC in between them who was Henry's second in command and got
>> the job after he managed to get Henry fired by the mayor and then when they
>> got the goods on him he was forced to resign and Frank was his second in
>> command so he got the job. So all they need to do now is get Jamie in there
>> as Frank's chief of department and he can take over.
>> Jamie does weird stuff in his new job
>> Eddie continues to be insane and seems to be infecting others. We learned
>> that it's OK to commit felonies if you're a woman and a guy ghosts you.
>
> Forget all that stuff. What was Abigail Hawk wearing
> for her 30 seconds on camera?

It was mostly gray. She spent most of her time sitting in front of the
commissioners desk rolling her eyes while Gormley was causing trouble.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<579956778.688199173.926019.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161909&group=rec.arts.tv#161909

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 23:42:56 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 06:42 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2022-10-23 03:50:12 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:
>
>> I watched:
>>

>> The Peripheral (Amazon streaming) - "Pilot" - New sci-fi series
>> starring Chloë Grace Moretz as a young woman who lives in an
>> unspecified future that seems to be on the verge of post apocalypse.
>> It's unclear what exactly happened, but it seems to be just slightly
>> better than how things were during the first Mad Max movie.
>
> Wait, this is already out?!!

Yes and no.

> I guess what I know what I am watching with tomorrow night's dinner!! :)

The hell you are. This is an eight episode series and they’ve only dropped
episodes one and two.

>> Hocus Pous 2 (Disney+) Just checking this off my list. I didn't care
>> much for the original, and didn't care much for this more of the same
>> sequel.
>
> I have never even sampled the original, and have no intention of
> watching the sequel!!

So say we all.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<2052777760.688199249.240231.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161910&group=rec.arts.tv#161910

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 23:42:57 -0700

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> pictured in the main titles. They did however dial back on the Muslim
>> component. Last season they were featuring the new Muslim characters over
>> all the existing characters. This season they’re showing them in the order
>> you’d expect. And they had black bad guys!
>> Admiral Simon and Simon is nastier than ever to the point where I suspect
>> he will be taken down by friendly fire and good riddance.
>>
>> BULLITT (1968) on TCM
>> I’ve seen bits and pieces of this over the years and read the MAD magazine
>> parody but I’ve never just sat down and watched the darn thing. So this was
>> my chance.
>>
>> Darn good movie even if it seems awfully dated
>
> If I recall correctly, this movie has a primitive fax machine that was
> about the size of a car. Or at least as big as a corporate copy machine.

Yes. And takes about 10 minutes to print out a picture that looks like one
of those things you make by typing Ex’s & Oh’s and seems to be using
consumables that would cost about 20 bucks each and sounds like a chase
through an airport. Same technology they had in the streets of San
Francisco.

> and if you want to hum the
>> theme from the streets of San Francisco whenever they’re driving their cars
>> fast. Host Ben Mankiewicz must have received some sort of head injury. He
>> said that the plot of this is inexplicable and you just watch it for the
>> action. I have no idea what part of the plot he couldn’t figure out other
>> than how Steve McQueen tracked down cab driver Robert Duvall. Jacqueline
>> Bisset seems to be channeling her role as Miss good thighs not that there’s
>> anything wrong with that. The lack of cell phones is just painful. People
>> driving around in cabs stopping at every phone booth on the street corners.
>> And people just carrying hand guns in their coat pockets onto airplanes!
>> Mankiewicz said Spielberg has announced he’s going to make a new movie with
>> the same character. Go figure.
>>

> I don't recall the plot of the movie but I know it has the famous car chase.

Yes, which has a serious problem in that the cars look way too much alike
and they keep cutting to close-ups of somebody’s fender sideswiping a
parked vehicle and I had to keep hitting repeat to try and figure out who
hit what. Then they repeat this problem at the end when McQueen wearing a
tan overcoat is chasing the bad guy who’s wearing a black suit through the
airport at night and McQueen ditches his overcoat so they’re both dressed
alike. Outside. In longshots. In black At night. Hiding.

>> TRICK ‘R TREAT on Movies.
>> Five rambling supposedly scary stories one featuring a lot of hot girls
>> mostly Lauren Lee Smith who for some reason has big boobs. Ian would like
>> this. Me, I was annoyed that they spelled the title wrong. This movie
>> needed a lot of gratuitous nudity which it may have had before Movies got a
>> hold of it.
>>

> Did they at least show it in the proper 2.35 aspect ratio?

I’m not sure. I didn’t know what ratio it was supposed to be and the one
sequence I watched was all outside at night so black bars wouldn’t have
been real evident.

I've watched
> it a couple of times but I cannot remember any of the stories. I'm
> skipping it this Halloween. And unless it gets a 4K release I'll
> probably skip it next Halloween too. But I'll circle back around to it
> eventually. Since I can never remember any of the stories rewatching it
> isn't so bad, but I do know going in it's just OK.

Hi I wouldn’t go for it again unless I knew it was being shown properly and
had some serious gratuitous nudity.

> Coincidentally, I'm heading out today to a local horror convention where
> two of the actors from this movie will be featured.

Cool

2099. Art card said it right at the beginning. :-)

> that seems to be on the verge of post apocalypse. It's unclear what
> exactly happened, but it seems to be just slightly better than how
> things were during the first Mad Max movie.
>
> Anyway, she lives with her mother and brother. Her mother is deathly
> sick and her brother makes money playing virtual video games. But Chloë
> is actually the brains behind that operation. People hire him because
> he's a man, but she will occasionally sub in for him and defeat levels
> he can't pass himself.

This whole set up didn’t make a whole lot of sense to me since they never
meet with the people that are hiring them so how would they know she’s a
girl? Who

One day the brother is sent some advance tech
> from a mysterious company that has hired him to test out their new tech
> / "game." Chloë plugs in instead and finds herself in a "virtual" world
> that for all intents and purposes is real. She can actually feel what
> is happening to the body (a copy of her brother) she is in. She also
> has a handler who has assigned her a task to complete which involves
> kidnapping some important person. Chloë thinks all of this is just a game.

But it’s cool because it hurts apparently.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<tj3lh6$19h41$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161947&group=rec.arts.tv#161947

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 15:10:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 15:10 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>>On 10/22/2022 7:47 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:

>>>BULLITT (1968) on TCM
>>>I've seen bits and pieces of this over the years and read the MAD magazine
>>>parody but I've never just sat down and watched the darn thing. So this was
>>>my chance.

>>>Darn good movie even if it seems awfully dated

>>If I recall correctly, this movie has a primitive fax machine that was
>>about the size of a car. Or at least as big as a corporate copy machine.

>Yes. And takes about 10 minutes to print out a picture that looks like one
>of those things you make by typing Ex's & Oh's and seems to be using
>consumables that would cost about 20 bucks each and sounds like a chase
>through an airport. Same technology they had in the streets of San
>Francisco.

That's exactly what it was. It was merely an adaptation of a teletype
terminal. Note that if you look at the Wikipedia article on dot matrix
printers, the earliest one was a component of a TTY-like device adapted
for faxing. Faxing technology goes back to 1880, or invented even
earlier for an episode of The Wild Wild West with the magical telegraph
that solved the last-mile problem to the moving train consist using a
right of way with no adjacent telegraph lines.

>>. . .

>Hi I wouldn't go for it again unless I knew it was being shown properly and
>had some serious gratuitous nudity.

Nudity isn't gratuitous if the scriptwriter isn't a moron. Just write a
key scene that's critical to character development or advancing the plot.

>. . .

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<464588608.688233385.776181.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161949&group=rec.arts.tv#161949

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 08:59:56 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 15:59 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> If I recall correctly, this movie has a primitive fax machine that was
>>> about the size of a car. Or at least as big as a corporate copy machine.
>
>> Yes. And takes about 10 minutes to print out a picture that looks like one
>> of those things you make by typing Ex's & Oh's and seems to be using
>> consumables that would cost about 20 bucks each and sounds like a chase
>> through an airport. Same technology they had in the streets of San
>> Francisco.
>
> That's exactly what it was. It was merely an adaptation of a teletype
> terminal. Note that if you look at the Wikipedia article on dot matrix
> printers, the earliest one was a component of a TTY-like device adapted
> for faxing. Faxing technology goes back to 1880, or invented even
> earlier for an episode of The Wild Wild West with the magical telegraph
> that solved the last-mile problem to the moving train consist using a
> right of way with no adjacent telegraph lines.

And works while the train is in motion. And isn’t through the air wireless
because only Dr. Lovelace had that technology. They have to be sending the
current through the rails. I bet that’s a lot of amps given the resistance…
Also I am thinking that any bums sleeping on the tracks are going to go up
like rodent in the city on the edge of forever.

>>> . . .
>
>> Hi I wouldn't go for it again unless I knew it was being shown properly and
>> had some serious gratuitous nudity.
>
> Nudity isn't gratuitous if the scriptwriter isn't a moron. Just write a
> key scene that's critical to character development or advancing the plot.
>
>> . . .

I have no problem with nudity being gratuitous.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<tj3pqm$1ah94$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161950&group=rec.arts.tv#161950

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 07:54:43 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 14:54 UTC

On 10/22/2022 11:42 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> Hey, thanks for asking!
snip
> [...]
>>> hold of it.
>>>

>> Did they at least show it in the proper 2.35 aspect ratio?
>
> I’m not sure. I didn’t know what ratio it was supposed to be and the one
> sequence I watched was all outside at night so black bars wouldn’t have
> been real evident.
>

> I've watched
>> it a couple of times but I cannot remember any of the stories. I'm
>> skipping it this Halloween. And unless it gets a 4K release I'll
>> probably skip it next Halloween too. But I'll circle back around to it
>> eventually. Since I can never remember any of the stories rewatching it
>> isn't so bad, but I do know going in it's just OK.
>
> Hi I wouldn’t go for it again unless I knew it was being shown properly and
> had some serious gratuitous nudity.
>

>> Coincidentally, I'm heading out today to a local horror convention where
>> two of the actors from this movie will be featured.

I am *very* annoyed. When I typed the above it was the morning before
the convention. But stupid Thunderbird would *not* send. It kept
demanding I enter a username and password. So I couldn't send until
after the convention, but Thunderbird claimed (incorrectly) that the
message went out in the morning. Adam posted something about a group
that may have a fix. I have to track that group down!

Anyway speaking of the convention, it was pretty good. In another
coincidence, Kevin Grevioux, who wrote the Underworld / I, Frankenstein
movies, was also a guest. I happened to have watched "I, Frankenstein"
the other week. Someone mentioned "I, Frankenstein" and Grevioux went
off about how he hated the movie and how the producers ruined it. He
said his original script was completely different and would have
directly tied it into the Underworld series with Selene appearing in the
movie. But the producers didn't know what they were doing and changed
everything and the version on screen is nothing like what he wrote.

Throughout his panel he complained about how producers don't understand
movies and constantly ruin them. He also said he intentionally wrote
himself into the first Underworld movie but gave himself a small
(instead of starring) part so people would leave him alone. He also
said his character was not supposed to die in the first movie, but that
was another producer decision. Otherwise his character would have been
leader of the werewolves for the rest of the series.

>>> THE FOG
>>> For some reason movies showed this entire film in 2.35:1 when they center
>>> cut most other stuff. Go figure. Adrienne Barbeau runs a radio station in a
>>> lighthouse that only broadcasts from 6 PM to 1 AM. Jamie Lee Curtis is a
>>> big old slut and as ugly as she is I still wouldn’t be interested. This is
>>> like the 14th time I’ve tried to watch this film and rather predictably by
>>> now I fell sound asleep about 20 minutes in. The music sounded suspiciously
>>> like HALLOWEEN.
>>>

>> I've never cared much for the Fog. I think I've only watched it all the
>> way through once, *maybe* twice. It just got a 4K release but I didn't
>> even consider buying it to give it a second chance.
>>

>> I watched:
>>

>> The Peripheral (Amazon streaming) - "Pilot" - New sci-fi series starring
>> Chloë Grace Moretz as a young woman who lives in an unspecified future
>
> 2099. Art card said it right at the beginning. :-)
>

>> that seems to be on the verge of post apocalypse. It's unclear what
>> exactly happened, but it seems to be just slightly better than how
>> things were during the first Mad Max movie.
>>
>> Anyway, she lives with her mother and brother. Her mother is deathly
>> sick and her brother makes money playing virtual video games. But Chloë
>> is actually the brains behind that operation. People hire him because
>> he's a man, but she will occasionally sub in for him and defeat levels
>> he can't pass himself.
>
> This whole set up didn’t make a whole lot of sense to me since they never
> meet with the people that are hiring them so how would they know she’s a
> girl? Who

There's a profile. She has her own real identity and her brother has
his own real identity. It's easier to use her brother's real identity,
instead of creating a fake one. These are paying jobs, they probably
need social security numbers and other verification to accept payment.

> One day the brother is sent some advance tech
>> from a mysterious company that has hired him to test out their new tech
>> / "game." Chloë plugs in instead and finds herself in a "virtual" world
>> that for all intents and purposes is real. She can actually feel what
>> is happening to the body (a copy of her brother) she is in. She also
>> has a handler who has assigned her a task to complete which involves
>> kidnapping some important person. Chloë thinks all of this is just a game.
>>

> But it’s cool because it hurts apparently.
>

>> Now what I, and I'm assuming the audience has already figured out is
>> this isn't a virtual simulation. She has been transported into the
>> future. Based on a tag at the start of the episode which set the year
>> at 2099,
>
> Oh. You’re thinking the simulation is in 2099 and Chloe is in the past? I
> thought Chloe was in 2099 and the simulation was even further forward. You
> may be right but if so they sure gave away the surprise with that first
> title card.
>

> I am 99.99% sure of it! Her handler in the future even makes a
>> comment about how she and everyone she knows will likely be dead within
>> 10 years. I'm assuming whenever Chloë is, is before 2099 and something
>> is going to happen that wipes out a chunk of humanity and the people
>> from the future are trying to stop it from happening.
>
> I think somebody’s already wiped out a chunk of humanity in wherever Chloe
> is because it seems pretty empty.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<tj3rl5$1apsr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161952&group=rec.arts.tv#161952

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 09:55:00 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 16:55 UTC

On 10/23/2022 8:59 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>>> Yes. And takes about 10 minutes to print out a picture that looks like one
>>> of those things you make by typing Ex's & Oh's and seems to be using
>>> consumables that would cost about 20 bucks each and sounds like a chase
>>> through an airport. Same technology they had in the streets of San
>>> Francisco.
>>
>> That's exactly what it was. It was merely an adaptation of a teletype
>> terminal. Note that if you look at the Wikipedia article on dot matrix
>> printers, the earliest one was a component of a TTY-like device adapted
>> for faxing. Faxing technology goes back to 1880, or invented even
>> earlier for an episode of The Wild Wild West with the magical telegraph
>> that solved the last-mile problem to the moving train consist using a
>> right of way with no adjacent telegraph lines.
>
> And works while the train is in motion. And isn’t through the air wireless
> because only Dr. Lovelace had that technology. They have to be sending the
> current through the rails. I bet that’s a lot of amps given the resistance…
> Also I am thinking that any bums sleeping on the tracks are going to go up
> like rodent in the city on the edge of forever.

>>> Hi I wouldn't go for it again unless I knew it was being shown properly and
>>> had some serious gratuitous nudity.
>>
>> Nudity isn't gratuitous if the scriptwriter isn't a moron. Just write a
>> key scene that's critical to character development or advancing the plot.
>>
>>> . . .
>>

> I have no problem with nudity being gratuitous.

Check out "Evil Toons." You won't be disappointed. I only ever saw it
once on TV about 30 years ago, but I still remember it! Well parts of
it. Not the actual plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7othu6spYY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLgobIBgqlk

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<tj3s5c$1b0n8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161954&group=rec.arts.tv#161954

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 17:03:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 17:03 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>>Hi I wouldn't go for it again unless I knew it was being shown properly and
>>>had some serious gratuitous nudity.

>>Nudity isn't gratuitous if the scriptwriter isn't a moron. Just write a
>>key scene that's critical to character development or advancing the plot.

>I have no problem with nudity being gratuitous.

Gratuitous nudity is readily edited out. If it's a critical scene, then it
has to remain. Also, who wants just a titty flash?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<tj3u0h$1b8uh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161960&group=rec.arts.tv#161960

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 17:35:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 17:35 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>Check out "Evil Toons." You won't be disappointed. I only ever saw it
>once on TV about 30 years ago, but I still remember it! Well parts of
>it. Not the actual plot.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7othu6spYY

I remember this! I'd forgotten Kwai Chang Caine was in it.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLgobIBgqlk

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-21 (Friday)

<b3dde01c-4fbe-4dc8-8f68-8850c80d3456n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=171580&group=rec.arts.tv#171580

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 16:15:58 -0800 (PST)
From: mj676180...@gmail.com (Milan James)
 by: Milan James - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 00:15 UTC

On Sunday, October 23, 2022 at 6:35:18 PM UTC+1, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
> >Check out "Evil Toons." You won't be disappointed. I only ever saw it
> >once on TV about 30 years ago, but I still remember it! Well parts of
> >it. Not the actual plot.
>
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7othu6spYY
> I remember this! I'd forgotten Kwai Chang Caine was in it.
>
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLgobIBgqlk

We are licensed arm dealers located in Colorado USA. And we have a variety of GUNS & AMMUNITIONS.
Visit our website by hitting the link.
https://rageammostore.com/