From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: [OT] Premiers appeal for (tightening) bail laws
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 19:18:12 -0500
 by: Rhino - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 00:18 UTC

Every one of the 10 provincial premiers and 3 territorial leaders have
signed a letter to Trudeau demanding bail reform. From the context, it
is clear, they mean that they want to TIGHTEN the conditions under which
bail is granted rather than loosen them as the trend has been in recent
years.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trudeau-says-ottawa-looking-at-bail-reform-after-letter-from-premiers-demands-action-1.6232676

Trudeau has responded with a vague statement that could charitably be
read as "we're working on it". As someone who has seen the cut of his
woke jib for 7 years now, I can practically guarantee that he will fight
tightening of the bail laws by every means he can, namely delays for
further study, consultations with interested groups (mostly ones that
would OPPOSE tightening bail eligibility), parliamentary tricks, etc. etc.

I will be truly surprised if they reduce bail eligibility for ANYONE,
even the most heinous of offenders.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Premiers appeal for (tightening) bail laws

<tq4qa9$2h38h$8@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172040&group=rec.arts.tv#172040

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] Premiers appeal for (tightening) bail laws
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 19:32:07 -0500
 by: Rhino - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 00:32 UTC

On 2023-01-16 7:18 PM, Rhino wrote:
> Every one of the 10 provincial premiers and 3 territorial leaders have
> signed a letter to Trudeau demanding bail reform. From the context, it
> is clear, they mean that they want to TIGHTEN the conditions under which
> bail is granted rather than loosen them as the trend has been in recent
> years.
>
> https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trudeau-says-ottawa-looking-at-bail-reform-after-letter-from-premiers-demands-action-1.6232676
>
> Trudeau has responded with a vague statement that could charitably be
> read as "we're working on it". As someone who has seen the cut of his
> woke jib for 7 years now, I can practically guarantee that he will fight
> tightening of the bail laws by every means he can, namely delays for
> further study, consultations with interested groups (mostly ones that
> would OPPOSE tightening bail eligibility), parliamentary tricks, etc. etc.
>
> I will be truly surprised if they reduce bail eligibility for ANYONE,
> even the most heinous of offenders.

I just wanted to add this article which looks at how bail actually works
in this country, which may be of interest to BTR, Kerman, etc.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/are-canadian-bail-rules-tough-enough-experts-weigh-in-after-officer-killed-1.6216708

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Premiers appeal for (tightening) bail laws

<vm5cshlifj4adejg01neioodn22qv9ctsv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172061&group=rec.arts.tv#172061

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 19:45:52 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 03:45 UTC

On Mon, 16 Jan 2023 19:18:12 -0500, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>Every one of the 10 provincial premiers and 3 territorial leaders have
>signed a letter to Trudeau demanding bail reform. From the context, it
>is clear, they mean that they want to TIGHTEN the conditions under which
>bail is granted rather than loosen them as the trend has been in recent
>years.
>
>https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trudeau-says-ottawa-looking-at-bail-reform-after-letter-from-premiers-demands-action-1.6232676
>
>Trudeau has responded with a vague statement that could charitably be
>read as "we're working on it". As someone who has seen the cut of his
>woke jib for 7 years now, I can practically guarantee that he will fight
>tightening of the bail laws by every means he can, namely delays for
>further study, consultations with interested groups (mostly ones that
>would OPPOSE tightening bail eligibility), parliamentary tricks, etc. etc.
>
>I will be truly surprised if they reduce bail eligibility for ANYONE,
>even the most heinous of offenders.

I would agree with Rhino on all counts - there's no question that
there is a LOT of Canadian public pushback on the matter of crimes
committed to those on bail (my personal view is that if you commit a
crime while on bail you ought to be locked up until your trial on the
first offence at the VERY least) and agree that Justin Trudeau is
ultra-woke with respect to criminal justice.

In short I think the "public pushback" I refer to is entirely in
order.

[I got a phone call earlier today from an Ipsos-Reid pollster - I told
her in no uncertain terms that I was a card carrying Conservative
party member who had NOT voted for Pierre Poilievre and that I was
well to the left of both Poilievre and Bernier though had no use
whatever for JT. In other words a fairly hardcore "Red Tory". What I
>didn't< tell her was that I felt JT SHOULD be in jail for his
misdeeds on behalf of his family - members of his family personally
received well over $ 1/2 million in 'speakers' fees' for the We
Charity that got $900 million + in federal money - in that scandal and
that the sooner we could consign him to the dustbin of history the
better.]

My bottom line is that I'm very hard core against misuse of public
funds and while not opposed to spending money when there's a reason to
do so insist it be done properly and in order.

But no question I'm NOT one of the 'hug a crook' crowd.