Do unto others before they undo you.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)Ian J. Ball
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)anim8rfsk
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)Arthur Lipscomb
| +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)anim8rfsk
| |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)Arthur Lipscomb
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)shawn
|  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)anim8rfsk
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)BTR1701
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)Ian J. Ball
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)BTR1701
|  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)Ian J. Ball
|   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)BTR1701
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)Dimensional Traveler
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)suzeeq
| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)Dimensional Traveler
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)Ubiquitous
 `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)anim8rfsk

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)

<tq6p79$3bg4n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172100&group=rec.arts.tv#172100

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 10:25:45 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 18:25 UTC

I mostly treated MLK Day as my own personal holiday, and didn't watch
much. Also, I finished my year-end financial audit - 2022 was my worst
year since 2008!! :(

What I did watch was...:

soaps: DOOL - Will is totally sketchy by eavesdropping on Leo's
incriminating convo with Sloan Peterson, so Leo gets the dime dropped
on him. By pure coincidence, Sarah walks in on Xander and Gwen in a
compromising situation, but it's not what it seems. That bitch
NuStephanie cries all over Chad's shoulder, though in Chad's defense, I
don't think he threw Alex to the wolves. Alex whines about "losing
Stephanie forever".
GH - Willow continues to be a total bitch - I hope she rejects
Nina's offer to donate her bone marrow, and Willow dies!! Meanwhile,
Sonny righteously calls Carly out on her shit - she wasn't "protecting"
Willow, she *was* punishing Nina!! Even with "amnesia", Esme is still
looking out for #1! (Ha!) Spencer goes to Diane Miller to try to figure
out if he can sue for sole custody of Esme's and his father's
yet-to-be-born baby!!

NFL wild card playoff game - I only checked in long enough to the
Cowboys-Bucs game to see that the Cowboys were killing them. Probably
means that Tom Brady is done...

Sick (Peacock) - This 2023 flick is a "Peacock original" apparently,
from Blunhouse and Miramax.
This was actually pretty decent (after a somewhat slow start),
though it does rely on way too much "horror movie idiot plotting" from
lead Gideon Adlon's character. (Sidenote: I think Adlon has put on some
weight since "The Society"...) Her bestie, played by Beth Million, is
better at actually closing the deal!
Anyway, this is a return to horror flicks by Kevin Williamson, and
while it's not as amusing as the "Scream" films, it's a decent horror
film, and I liked its "COVID pandemic lockdown(s)" theme.
It's also a decent "chase/try to keep one step ahead of the bad
guy(s?)" flick, though I would have liked less idiot plotting with
Adlon's character.
Anyway, this clocks in at under 90 minutes, and is decent for what it is.

What did you watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)

<338334155.695674280.304977.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172103&group=rec.arts.tv#172103

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 12:09:04 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 19:09 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> I mostly treated MLK Day as my own personal holiday, and didn't watch
> much. Also, I finished my year-end financial audit - 2022 was my worst
> year since 2008!! :(
>
> What I did watch was...:
>

> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

My Cox was acting up and I had a lot of trouble straightening out
everything after taking the iPhone to iOS 16, so I was mostly messing with
that. I did watch.

NCISOWM S20E11 “bridges“
The dad from Brady bunch encounters. his old girlfriend played by Rachel
Ticotin‘s grandmother that he used to run with when they were kids and her
parents moved to get her away from his bad influence. They actually had the
temerity to say this was 20 years ago. Gary Cole is 66 and Rachel Ticotin
is 64. Folks, if they were minors, this was 50 years ago!

Anyway, somehow her son stole Gary Cole’s identity and his girlfriend ended
up getting killed and it turned out everybody was actually evil ruskies
sleeper agents. Not horrible, but not great. Well, FEZ was horrible, but he
always is.

The DVR snagged a couple of Batman 1966 episodes that I think were the
first appearances of Julie Newmar as the Catwoman because Jock Mahoney was
her henchmen. Fun stuff and oh my God could she fill out a cat suit!

Tonight I will record two episodes of NIGHT COURT 2023, including the pilot
episode and we’ll see just how dire they are. Also, the magic DVR is
filling in any episodes I don’t already have recorded of LAS VEGAS. There’s
like three to go and I’ll have collected them all. Then the marathon may
begin!

Tomorrow is the big interplanetary preview of THE ARK new season one
running for a full six minutes with like three minutes of padding on SYFY.

And that takes us all the way to the last network programming of the week,
Blue Bloods. Man oh man, is this a slim pickings week.

https://www.beachamjournal.com/.a/6a01053653b3c7970b02788033ea16200d-800wi

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)

<atropos-C48846.12163017012023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172109&group=rec.arts.tv#172109

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 12:16:30 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 20:16 UTC

In article <tq6p79$3bg4n$1@dont-email.me>,
Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

> Sick (Peacock) - This 2023 flick is a "Peacock original" apparently,
> from Blunhouse and Miramax.
> This was actually pretty decent (after a somewhat slow start),
> though it does rely on way too much "horror movie idiot plotting" from
> lead Gideon Adlon's character. (Sidenote: I think Adlon has put on some
> weight since "The Society"...) Her bestie, played by Beth Million, is
> better at actually closing the deal!
> Anyway, this is a return to horror flicks by Kevin Williamson, and
> while it's not as amusing as the "Scream" films, it's a decent horror
> film, and I liked its "COVID pandemic lockdown(s)" theme.

V qvqa'g yvxr gung ab bar pnyyrq gur xvyyref bhg ba gurve ulcbpevfl.
Rirelbar nybat gur punva unf gb qvr orpnhfr gurve frysvfu orunivbe
xvyyrq gurve fba-- rira vapvqragny crbcyr jub unq abguvat gb qb jvgu vg,
yvxr gur arvtuobe qbja gur ebnq-- ohg gurve xvq, jub jnf cneglvat
jvgubhg znfxf naq qvfgnapvat whfg yvxr rirelbar ryfr-- jnfa'g
erfcbafvoyr sbe pngpuvat gur Jhuna Syh gung xvyyrq uvz ng nyy. Ur jnf n
cher vaabprag ivpgvz jub unq gb or niratrq, NIRATRQ!!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)

<tq6vpj$3cjde$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172110&group=rec.arts.tv#172110

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 12:17:36 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 20:17 UTC

On 1/17/2023 11:09 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> I mostly treated MLK Day as my own personal holiday, and didn't watch
>> much. Also, I finished my year-end financial audit - 2022 was my worst
>> year since 2008!! :(
>>
>> What I did watch was...:
>>

>> What did you watch?
>
> Hey, thanks for asking!
>
> My Cox was acting up and I had a lot of trouble straightening out
> everything after taking the iPhone to iOS 16, so I was mostly messing with
> that. I did watch.
>
> NCISOWM S20E11 “bridges“
> The dad from Brady bunch encounters. his old girlfriend played by Rachel
> Ticotin‘s grandmother that he used to run with when they were kids and her
> parents moved to get her away from his bad influence. They actually had the
> temerity to say this was 20 years ago. Gary Cole is 66 and Rachel Ticotin
> is 64. Folks, if they were minors, this was 50 years ago!
>
> Anyway, somehow her son stole Gary Cole’s identity and his girlfriend ended
> up getting killed and it turned out everybody was actually evil ruskies
> sleeper agents. Not horrible, but not great. Well, FEZ was horrible, but he
> always is.
>
> The DVR snagged a couple of Batman 1966 episodes that I think were the
> first appearances of Julie Newmar as the Catwoman because Jock Mahoney was
> her henchmen. Fun stuff and oh my God could she fill out a cat suit!

You remember who played the henchmen?

> Tonight I will record two episodes of NIGHT COURT 2023,
+1

I watched:

Wes Craven's New Nightmare (blu-ray) Wes Craven returns to write and
direct a new Freddy movie. But this time it's set in the real world as
a demon using Freddy's persona goes after the real world actress who
defeated him in the first movie. Holds up very well.

Jason X (blu-ray) Friday the 13th in space, starring the cast of
Andromeda. This was the first Jason movie I ever saw in the theater. I
*might* have also been the first Jason movie I ever saw all the way
through from beginning to end. Technically, I know I saw Jason Goes to
Hell when it first came out, but I'm not sure if I ever sat down and
watched it from start to finish in one sitting. I listened with the
writer's commentary. He was very defensive about the failure of the movie.

Freddy vs. Jason (blu-ray) The parents of Springfield have made their
kids forget about Freddy which has rendered him powerless. So to make
people fear him again Freddy tricks Jason into coming to Springfield for
a blood bath. The movie holds up great. In spite of a few plot issues
that should have been fixed in a rewrite, it still holds up as one of
the best movies in either franchise. I just wish they had done a sequel.

The Last of Us - New post-apocalyptic series starring The Mandalorian as
a man trying to survive the collapse of civilization following a fungal
outbreak that turns people into living zombies. The pilot was pretty
good. Very intense. It's based on a popular game that I've never played
before but from what I've read the series is close to the game. It's an
HBO show, but on HBOMax it's being broadcast in 4K with Dolby Atmos.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)

<tq72aj$3cs65$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172113&group=rec.arts.tv#172113

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 13:01:09 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 21:01 UTC

On 1/17/2023 10:25 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

> What did you watch?

Thank you for asking, I've been continuing to work my way thru the Young
Indiana Jones Adventure Chronicles. He's doing every conceivable job in
the Belgian Army and getting involved in almost every major battle as a
result. In the latest episode he has a torrid, not much longer than a
one-night stand, affair with Mata Hari. At age 16. The police arrest
him for stalking her, get his leave in Paris cut short and ship him back
to the front.

Oh and Emperor Palapitine appears as a French friend of Indie's father,
who is married to Servalan.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)

<tq72sg$182j1$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172114&group=rec.arts.tv#172114

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 13:10:39 -0800
 by: suzeeq - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 21:10 UTC

On 1/17/2023 1:01 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 1/17/2023 10:25 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>>
>> What did you watch?
>>
> Thank you for asking, I've been continuing to work my way thru the Young
> Indiana Jones Adventure Chronicles.  He's doing every conceivable job in
> the Belgian Army and getting involved in almost every major battle as a
> result.  In the latest episode he has a torrid, not much longer than a
> one-night stand, affair with Mata Hari.  At age 16.

Wasn't she very young herself? Depends on if it happened in 1915 or 1918.

> The police arrest
> him for stalking her, get his leave in Paris cut short and ship him back
> to the front.
>
> Oh and Emperor Palapitine appears as a French friend of Indie's father,
> who is married to Servalan.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)

<1771585402.695683848.186451.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172117&group=rec.arts.tv#172117

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 14:41:42 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 21:41 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 1/17/2023 11:09 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>> I mostly treated MLK Day as my own personal holiday, and didn't watch
>>> much. Also, I finished my year-end financial audit - 2022 was my worst
>>> year since 2008!! :(
>>>
>>> What I did watch was...:
>>>

>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> My Cox was acting up and I had a lot of trouble straightening out
>> everything after taking the iPhone to iOS 16, so I was mostly messing with
>> that. I did watch.
>>
>> NCISOWM S20E11 “bridges“
>> The dad from Brady bunch encounters. his old girlfriend played by Rachel
>> Ticotin‘s grandmother that he used to run with when they were kids and her
>> parents moved to get her away from his bad influence. They actually had the
>> temerity to say this was 20 years ago. Gary Cole is 66 and Rachel Ticotin
>> is 64. Folks, if they were minors, this was 50 years ago!
>>
>> Anyway, somehow her son stole Gary Cole’s identity and his girlfriend ended
>> up getting killed and it turned out everybody was actually evil ruskies
>> sleeper agents. Not horrible, but not great. Well, FEZ was horrible, but he
>> always is.
>>
>> The DVR snagged a couple of Batman 1966 episodes that I think were the
>> first appearances of Julie Newmar as the Catwoman because Jock Mahoney was
>> her henchmen. Fun stuff and oh my God could she fill out a cat suit!
>>
> You remember who played the henchmen?

The DVR has the capability of either telling me about, or auto magically
recording things with certain keywords, including the names of people. Then
when something is recorded, I get to guess why the hell it did it. I never
did figure out why it recorded night school last week. But I know that Jack
Mahoney is something except to grab. He did all kinds of great old
westerns. And various Tarzan projects. Usually a fun watch. Him just being
a quiet henchman in the background in the Batman episode was kind of weird.
It may have been one of those cases of people that asked to be on the show
because they wanted their kids to see it.

The downside is that I’ve never found a place in the DVR menus that shows
me the stuff I’ve told it that I am interested in where I could modify it
or delete it.

>> Tonight I will record two episodes of NIGHT COURT 2023,
> +1
>

> I watched:
>

> Wes Craven's New Nightmare (blu-ray) Wes Craven returns to write and
> direct a new Freddy movie. But this time it's set in the real world as
> a demon using Freddy's persona goes after the real world actress who
> defeated him in the first movie. Holds up very well.
>

> Jason X (blu-ray) Friday the 13th in space, starring the cast of
> Andromeda.

I’ve read that Andromeda was cast first, but then that this was shot first
and apparently Alexa and Becca asked to play the opposite of the parts they
were cast for in Andromeda.

This was the first Jason movie I ever saw in the theater. I
> *might* have also been the first Jason movie I ever saw all the way
> through from beginning to end. Technically, I know I saw Jason Goes to
> Hell when it first came out, but I'm not sure if I ever sat down and
> watched it from start to finish in one sitting. I listened with the
> writer's commentary. He was very defensive about the failure of the movie.
>

> Freddy vs. Jason (blu-ray) The parents of Springfield have made their
> kids forget about Freddy which has rendered him powerless. So to make
> people fear him again Freddy tricks Jason into coming to Springfield for
> a blood bath. The movie holds up great. In spite of a few plot issues
> that should have been fixed in a rewrite, it still holds up as one of
> the best movies in either franchise. I just wish they had done a sequel.
>

> The Last of Us - New post-apocalyptic series starring The Mandalorian as
> a man trying to survive the collapse of civilization following a fungal
> outbreak that turns people into living zombies. The pilot was pretty
> good. Very intense. It's based on a popular game that I've never played
> before but from what I've read the series is close to the game. It's an
> HBO show, but on HBOMax it's being broadcast in 4K with Dolby Atmos.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)

<i2besh9pdj7r8urhsgf71nqfuvj5euabt1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172125&group=rec.arts.tv#172125

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 18:23:15 -0500
 by: shawn - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 23:23 UTC

On Tue, 17 Jan 2023 12:17:36 -0800, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>On 1/17/2023 11:09 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>> I mostly treated MLK Day as my own personal holiday, and didn't watch
>>> much. Also, I finished my year-end financial audit - 2022 was my worst
>>> year since 2008!! :(
>>>
>>> What I did watch was...:
>>>

>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>

>> NCISOWM S20E11 “bridges“
>> The dad from Brady bunch encounters. his old girlfriend played by Rachel
>> Ticotin‘s grandmother that he used to run with when they were kids and her
>> parents moved to get her away from his bad influence. They actually had the
>> temerity to say this was 20 years ago. Gary Cole is 66 and Rachel Ticotin
>> is 64. Folks, if they were minors, this was 50 years ago!

Yeah, the timing was off but it was still nice to see Rachel Ticotin
again as I haven't seen her in any show/movie in years.

>I watched:
>

>Jason X (blu-ray) Friday the 13th in space, starring the cast of
>Andromeda. This was the first Jason movie I ever saw in the theater. I
>*might* have also been the first Jason movie I ever saw all the way
>through from beginning to end. Technically, I know I saw Jason Goes to
>Hell when it first came out, but I'm not sure if I ever sat down and
>watched it from start to finish in one sitting. I listened with the
>writer's commentary. He was very defensive about the failure of the movie.

Never saw this in the theater but have ended up watching it a couple
of times.

>The Last of Us - New post-apocalyptic series starring The Mandalorian as
>a man trying to survive the collapse of civilization following a fungal
>outbreak that turns people into living zombies. The pilot was pretty
>good. Very intense. It's based on a popular game that I've never played
>before but from what I've read the series is close to the game. It's an
>HBO show, but on HBOMax it's being broadcast in 4K with Dolby Atmos.

I had problems with the first half of the episode. Partly because it
was so slow starting but then also the idea of the outbreak basically
hitting everywhere at once. That said once it got into current day
events it got much better. Was also pleasantly surprised to see Anna
Torv as I wasn't aware she was going to be a part of the show.

As you say it is supposedly holding close to the game (a game I've
never played but I have seen some clips from the games.) Supposedly
the third episode is one the best episodes based on a game so it will
be interesting to see how close it holds to the game for those that
played it.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)

<613755123.695690950.402803.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172127&group=rec.arts.tv#172127

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 16:32:39 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 23:32 UTC

> On Tue, 17 Jan 2023 12:17:36 -0800, Arthur Lipscomb
> <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>>

>>> NCISOWM S20E11 “bridges“
>>> The dad from Brady bunch encounters. his old girlfriend played by Rachel
>>> Ticotin‘s grandmother that he used to run with when they were kids and her
>>> parents moved to get her away from his bad influence. They actually had the
>>> temerity to say this was 20 years ago. Gary Cole is 66 and Rachel Ticotin
>>> is 64. Folks, if they were minors, this was 50 years ago!
>
> Yeah, the timing was off but it was still nice to see Rachel Ticotin
> again as I haven't seen her in any show/movie in years.

Yep. Last time I saw her in anything new was Blue Bloods and that was a
decade ago!

>> I watched:
>>

>> Jason X (blu-ray) Friday the 13th in space, starring the cast of
>> Andromeda. This was the first Jason movie I ever saw in the theater. I
>> *might* have also been the first Jason movie I ever saw all the way
>> through from beginning to end. Technically, I know I saw Jason Goes to
>> Hell when it first came out, but I'm not sure if I ever sat down and
>> watched it from start to finish in one sitting. I listened with the
>> writer's commentary. He was very defensive about the failure of the movie.
>
> Never saw this in the theater but have ended up watching it a couple
> of times.

It’s one of those things you really have to see uncensored.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)

<tq7c3f$3eje5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172132&group=rec.arts.tv#172132

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 15:47:59 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 23:47 UTC

On 2023-01-17 20:16:30 +0000, BTR1701 said:

> In article <tq6p79$3bg4n$1@dont-email.me>,
> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Sick (Peacock) - This 2023 flick is a "Peacock original" apparently,
>> from Blunhouse and Miramax.
>> This was actually pretty decent (after a somewhat slow start),
>> though it does rely on way too much "horror movie idiot plotting" from
>> lead Gideon Adlon's character. (Sidenote: I think Adlon has put on some
>> weight since "The Society"...) Her bestie, played by Beth Million, is
>> better at actually closing the deal!
>> Anyway, this is a return to horror flicks by Kevin Williamson, and
>> while it's not as amusing as the "Scream" films, it's a decent horror
>> film, and I liked its "COVID pandemic lockdown(s)" theme.
>
> V qvqa'g yvxr gung ab bar pnyyrq gur xvyyref bhg ba gurve ulcbpevfl.
> Rirelbar nybat gur punva unf gb qvr orpnhfr gurve frysvfu orunivbe
> xvyyrq gurve fba-- rira vapvqragny crbcyr jub unq abguvat gb qb jvgu vg,
> yvxr gur arvtuobe qbja gur ebnq-- ohg gurve xvq, jub jnf cneglvat
> jvgubhg znfxf naq qvfgnapvat whfg yvxr rirelbar ryfr-- jnfa'g
> erfcbafvoyr sbe pngpuvat gur Jhuna Syh gung xvyyrq uvz ng nyy. Ur jnf n
> cher vaabprag ivpgvz jub unq gb or niratrq, NIRATRQ!!

I think that's actually what liked about it - that the villains were
hard-line COVID fanatic loons!!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)

<_facnczXxNkPplr-nZ2dnZfqnPsAAAAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172141&group=rec.arts.tv#172141

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 00:21:38 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 00:21 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-01-17 20:16:30 +0000, BTR1701 said:
>
>> In article <tq6p79$3bg4n$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Sick (Peacock) - This 2023 flick is a "Peacock original" apparently,
>>> from Blunhouse and Miramax.
>>> This was actually pretty decent (after a somewhat slow start),
>>> though it does rely on way too much "horror movie idiot plotting" from
>>> lead Gideon Adlon's character. (Sidenote: I think Adlon has put on some
>>> weight since "The Society"...) Her bestie, played by Beth Million, is
>>> better at actually closing the deal!
>>> Anyway, this is a return to horror flicks by Kevin Williamson, and
>>> while it's not as amusing as the "Scream" films, it's a decent horror
>>> film, and I liked its "COVID pandemic lockdown(s)" theme.
>>
>> V qvqa'g yvxr gung ab bar pnyyrq gur xvyyref bhg ba gurve ulcbpevfl.
>> Rirelbar nybat gur punva unf gb qvr orpnhfr gurve frysvfu orunivbe
>> xvyyrq gurve fba-- rira vapvqragny crbcyr jub unq abguvat gb qb jvgu vg,
>> yvxr gur arvtuobe qbja gur ebnq-- ohg gurve xvq, jub jnf cneglvat
>> jvgubhg znfxf naq qvfgnapvat whfg yvxr rirelbar ryfr-- jnfa'g
>> erfcbafvoyr sbe pngpuvat gur Jhuna Syh gung xvyyrq uvz ng nyy. Ur jnf n
>> cher vaabprag ivpgvz jub unq gb or niratrq, NIRATRQ!!
>
> I think that's actually what liked about it - that the villains were
> hard-line COVID fanatic loons!!

But they really weren't. If they were true believer loons, they'd have held
their own kid to be just as responsible as everyone else. Primarily so,
even. Instead, they blamed everyone *but* him for his infection.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)

<tq7eih$3f01d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172142&group=rec.arts.tv#172142

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 16:30:09 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 00:30 UTC

On 2023-01-18 00:21:38 +0000, BTR1701 said:

> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2023-01-17 20:16:30 +0000, BTR1701 said:

>>> V qvqa'g yvxr gung ab bar pnyyrq gur xvyyref bhg ba gurve ulcbpevfl.
>>> Rirelbar nybat gur punva unf gb qvr orpnhfr gurve frysvfu orunivbe
>>> xvyyrq gurve fba-- rira vapvqragny crbcyr jub unq abguvat gb qb jvgu vg,
>>> yvxr gur arvtuobe qbja gur ebnq-- ohg gurve xvq, jub jnf cneglvat
>>> jvgubhg znfxf naq qvfgnapvat whfg yvxr rirelbar ryfr-- jnfa'g
>>> erfcbafvoyr sbe pngpuvat gur Jhuna Syh gung xvyyrq uvz ng nyy. Ur jnf n
>>> cher vaabprag ivpgvz jub unq gb or niratrq, NIRATRQ!!
>>
>> I think that's actually what liked about it - that the villains were
>> hard-line COVID fanatic loons!!
>
> But they really weren't. If they were true believer loons, they'd have held
> their own kid to be just as responsible as everyone else. Primarily so,
> even. Instead, they blamed everyone *but* him for his infection.

I think you're missing the point (I assume it's Williamson's point) -
that such people are in fact massive hypocrites on top of everything
else.

See for example, Gov. Gavin Newsom (D-French Laundry), etc.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)

<FXudnZcGk7qC1Vr-nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172149&group=rec.arts.tv#172149

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 01:15:11 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 01:15 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-01-18 00:21:38 +0000, BTR1701 said:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> I think that's actually what liked about it - that the villains were
>>> hard-line COVID fanatic loons!!
>>
>> But they really weren't. If they were true believer loons, they'd have held
>> their own kid to be just as responsible as everyone else. Primarily so,
>> even. Instead, they blamed everyone *but* him for his infection.
>
> I think you're missing the point (I assume it's Williamson's point) -
> that such people are in fact massive hypocrites on top of everything
> else.
>
> See for example, Gov. Gavin Newsom (D-French Laundry), etc.

I thought it was hilarious how the black girl wouldn't even let her friend
in the car at the beginning without a mask on and even chastised her for
not wearing it outdoors and then in the next scene, they're driving down
the road, both of them maskless, and in fact neither of them wore masks for
the entire rest of the movie.

I don't know whether that was Williamson making a commentary on how stupid
the maskholes are or if it's just the standard nonsensical way Hollywood
has treated masks since all this began-- with shows like FBI and LAW &
ORDER having the characters wearing masks outside where it's not necessary
and then they rip them off the moment they go inside to the bullpen, where
there are 20+ people all in an enclosure space sharing the same air.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)

<tq80lu$3kf3r$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172165&group=rec.arts.tv#172165

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 21:39:13 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 05:39 UTC

On 1/17/2023 1:10 PM, suzeeq wrote:
> On 1/17/2023 1:01 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> On 1/17/2023 10:25 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>>
>> Thank you for asking, I've been continuing to work my way thru the
>> Young Indiana Jones Adventure Chronicles.  He's doing every
>> conceivable job in the Belgian Army and getting involved in almost
>> every major battle as a result.  In the latest episode he has a
>> torrid, not much longer than a one-night stand, affair with Mata
>> Hari.  At age 16.
>
> Wasn't she very young herself? Depends on if it happened in 1915 or 1918.

The real Mata Hari was born in 1876.

>> The police arrest him for stalking her, get his leave in Paris cut
>> short and ship him back to the front.
>>
>> Oh and Emperor Palapitine appears as a French friend of Indie's
>> father, who is married to Servalan.

And I forgot to mention that Carrie Fisher got the writing credit.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)

<UBI20230116@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172182&group=rec.arts.tv#172182

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 04:30:41 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 09:30 UTC

In article <tq6p79$3bg4n$1@dont-email.me>, IJBall@mac.invalid wrote:

>What did you watch?

Nothing. I got food poisoning, probably from a egg and briskette breakfast
taco.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)

<994858840.695749996.717756.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172189&group=rec.arts.tv#172189

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 08:53:59 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 15:53 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> In article <tq6p79$3bg4n$1@dont-email.me>, IJBall@mac.invalid wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Nothing. I got food poisoning, probably from a egg and briskette breakfast
> taco.

:(

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-01-16 (Monday)

<tq9gqf$112ij$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172201&group=rec.arts.tv#172201

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 23:40:09 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 07:40 UTC

On 1/17/2023 1:41 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
snip

>> Jason X (blu-ray) Friday the 13th in space, starring the cast of
>> Andromeda.
>
> I’ve read that Andromeda was cast first, but then that this was shot first
> and apparently Alexa and Becca asked to play the opposite of the parts they
> were cast for in Andromeda.

I always wondered about that. I always wonder what's the behind the
scenes story whenever I see actors who co-stared in one project
appearing together in something else.