From: alm...@last.inc (Alan Smithee)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: That 90s Show
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 03:51:13 -0400
 by: Alan Smithee - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 07:51 UTC

anyone seen this? some of the first kids made cameos.

Re: That 90s Show

<842959657.695922065.799642.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172401&group=rec.arts.tv#172401

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: That 90s Show
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 09:17:31 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 16:17 UTC

Alan Smithee <alms@last.inc> wrote:
> anyone seen this? some of the first kids made cameos.

I forgot all about it. The DVR says it’s on Netflix and they dropped all 10
episodes already.

Oh dear. The first shot is Kitty dancing on the familiar kitchen set in
1995. And the crowd goes wild. This is going to be one of these shows where
half the airtime has “live“ audience applause. Like when Happy Days became
unwatchable, because the crowd wouldn’t shut up, every time the Fonz
entered.

Erik looks the same. Donna looks really really old. Apparently Red and
Kitty live in the same house and are the only white people left in the
neighborhood. The new kids, and their material, are absolutely terrible.
It’s not even Saturday night live sketch quality.

For some reason, the new kids of color all hang out in the Foreman
basement. Why the hell would Red and Kitty allow that when none of them are
related to the Foremans in any way? Why don’t they keep the door locked?

The granddaughter in her first day gets a nose piercing and drunk so they
think it’s a good idea to let her stay there without her parents saying
they can trust her when she has just totally proved they can’t.

Kelso and Kunis have a cameo at the end. They are dressed nicely. For some
reason it’s played like they haven’t seen Red and Kitty in forever when
apparently they all still live in the same neighborhood. It’s hard to
forget though that neither of them bathes anymore.

Absolutely dreadful. So bad I took the time to give it the thumbs down
rating on the Netflix. One and done.

Re: That 90s Show

<tqeo6l$26ejd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172422&group=rec.arts.tv#172422

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 13:57:24 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 18:57 UTC

In article <tqdh5i$1c9b$1@gioia.aioe.org>, alms@last.inc wrote:

> anyone seen this? some of the first kids made cameos.

You mean reruns of the show they made about a decade ago?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: That 90s Show

<slrntsmhse.14fk3.jbn@forestfield.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172478&group=rec.arts.tv#172478

From: jbn...@forestfield.org (J.B. Nicholson)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 02:01:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: J.B. Nicholson - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 02:01 UTC

Alan Smithee <alms@last.inc> wrote:
> anyone seen this? some of the first kids made cameos.

To me, it's no better than That 70's Show when that show first
ran. One of the biggest laughs I saw on That 90's Show came from the
older characters from That 70's Show, not the new cast.

One of the standout episodes is S01E03, "Lip Smackers", where Leia,
the protagonist seeks her first kiss. Leia is about 15 years old, if I
recall correctly, the daughter of Eric & Donna from That 70's show.

Leia and her friends go to the mall and Leia approaches boys to get
that kiss. Leia does things that would be quickly identified as
harassing or even assault if the sexes on the characters were reversed
(which is what stood out to me). This included coming on to a
9-year-old and an ice cream seller, both boys, then later chasing that
ice cream guy and forcibly kissing him. As far as I've seen this seems
to have gone unnoticed by show reviewers. Hollywood-friendly outlet
vulture.com described the mall scene as a "fun" ending with a "victory
strut with her friends":

From https://www.vulture.com/article/that-90s-show-season-1-episode-3-recap-lip-smackers.html
> The fun of “Lip Smackers” is Leia’s romantic flailing, paid off in
> the episode’s “Shoop”-scored final moments where she downs a bunch
> of breath mints and plants one on the ice-cream guy, then takes a
> slo-mo victory strut with her friends.

There's hypocrisy in those script choices where no consent was sought
or granted with the ice cream guy, no mention of Leia being "creepy"
in coming on to a 9-year-old boy (as any boy would have received for
doing the same thing). I got the impression that the show was playing
coming onto a child, harassing and later forcibly kissing the ice
cream guy were played for laughs. Leia apologized after coming on to
the 9-year-old but she suffered no consequence of any importance for
anything she did in the mall. The show's audience laughed and
applauded throughout the scene.

This episode and the lack of any followup offered quite a difference
from what I had come to expect from Hollywood studios regarding the
importance of obtaining consent & behaving considerately.

Re: That 90s Show

<1891332350.695960209.879884.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172479&group=rec.arts.tv#172479

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 19:20:56 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 02:20 UTC

J.B. Nicholson <jbn@forestfield.org> wrote:
> Alan Smithee <alms@last.inc> wrote:
>> anyone seen this? some of the first kids made cameos.
>
> To me, it's no better than That 70's Show when that show first
> ran. One of the biggest laughs I saw on That 90's Show came from the
> older characters from That 70's Show, not the new cast.
>
> One of the standout episodes is S01E03, "Lip Smackers", where Leia,
> the protagonist seeks her first kiss. Leia is about 15 years old, if I
> recall correctly,

At most. She just got her period.