A commune is where people join together to share their lack of wealth. -- R. Stallman

arts / rec.arts.sf.fandom / Re: Convention rules: bag searches

SubjectAuthor
* Convention rules: bag searchesGary McGath
+* Re: Convention rules: bag searchesPeter Trei
|+- Re: Convention rules: bag searchesJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
|`- Re: Convention rules: bag searchesGary McGath
+* Re: Convention rules: bag searchesTim Merrigan
|`* Re: Convention rules: bag searchesDorothy J Heydt
| +* Re: Convention rules: bag searchesGary McGath
| |+- Re: Convention rules: bag searchesJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
| |`* Re: Convention rules: bag searchesScott Dorsey
| | +* Re: Convention rules: bag searchesKevrob
| | |+* Re: Convention rules: bag searchesrkshullat
| | |`- Re: Convention rules: bag searchesKevrob
| | +- Re: Convention rules: bag searchesDorothy J Heydt
| | `- Re: Convention rules: bag searchesTim Merrigan
| `- Re: Convention rules: bag searchesPeter Trei
`* Re: Convention rules: bag searchesGary McGath
 `- Re: Convention rules: bag searchesJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

1
Convention rules: bag searches

<srkgc1$9v4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1701&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1701

From: gar...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com (Gary McGath)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom,",rec.music.filk"
Subject: Convention rules: bag searches
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 12:56:15 -0500
 by: Gary McGath - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 17:56 UTC

The rules for DFDF, a small German filk convention, include the
following: "Das Committee ist berechtigt, waehrend der Veranstaltung
Taschenkontrollen durchzufuehren." Their own translation is "The
Committee is authorized to check the attendees bags during the convention."

Has anyone heard of other cons having a similar rule? "Taschenkontrolle"
is an uncommon word in German, meaning "check" in the sense of "search,"
not merely in the sense of leaving one's bags at a holding facility.

This is a small convention (probably less than 50 people) run by friends
whom I highly trust, so it's not a deal-killer, but for most cons it
would dissuade me from attending.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Re: Convention rules: bag searches

<a900c8aa-7dd9-4505-81bf-aa39a2a0bbden@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1702&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1702

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 10:43:23 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Convention rules: bag searches
From: petert...@gmail.com (Peter Trei)
 by: Peter Trei - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 18:43 UTC

On Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 12:56:18 PM UTC-5, Gary McGath wrote:
> The rules for DFDF, a small German filk convention, include the
> following: "Das Committee ist berechtigt, waehrend der Veranstaltung
> Taschenkontrollen durchzufuehren." Their own translation is "The
> Committee is authorized to check the attendees bags during the convention."
>
> Has anyone heard of other cons having a similar rule? "Taschenkontrolle"
> is an uncommon word in German, meaning "check" in the sense of "search,"
> not merely in the sense of leaving one's bags at a holding facility.
>
> This is a small convention (probably less than 50 people) run by friends
> whom I highly trust, so it's not a deal-killer, but for most cons it
> would dissuade me from attending.

That's a new one on me. Most big cons are at hotels, which don't require it.

Perhaps they did this at some British Cons during The Troubles - there were
bag checks at all kinds of venues then.

pt

Re: Convention rules: bag searches

<XnsAE1C765855951taustingmail@85.12.62.245>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1703&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1703

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 11:38:01 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 18:38 UTC

Peter Trei <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 12:56:18 PM UTC-5, Gary McGath
> wrote:
>> The rules for DFDF, a small German filk convention, include the
>> following: "Das Committee ist berechtigt, waehrend der
>> Veranstaltung Taschenkontrollen durchzufuehren." Their own
>> translation is "The Committee is authorized to check the
>> attendees bags during the convention."
>>
>> Has anyone heard of other cons having a similar rule?
>> "Taschenkontrolle" is an uncommon word in German, meaning
>> "check" in the sense of "search," not merely in the sense of
>> leaving one's bags at a holding facility.
>>
>> This is a small convention (probably less than 50 people) run
>> by friends whom I highly trust, so it's not a deal-killer, but
>> for most cons it would dissuade me from attending.
>
> That's a new one on me. Most big cons are at hotels, which
> don't require it.
>
> Perhaps they did this at some British Cons during The Troubles -
> there were bag checks at all kinds of venues then.

Comic Con San Diego got picky about costumes that included realistic
looking weaponry (Stargate was popular at the time, and swords are
always popular), but they didn't search bags that I recall. (Of
course, it's been over a decade since I attended, and things may have
changed. On the other hand, they hire bonded professional security,
so it's easier to not freak out over it.)

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: Convention rules: bag searches

<s5rrtgpnk5p3tu119ifradmb4c551quhqd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1704&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1704

From: tpp...@ca.rr.com (Tim Merrigan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 12:51:09 -0800
 by: Tim Merrigan - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 20:51 UTC

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 12:56:15 -0500, Gary McGath
<garym@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:

>The rules for DFDF, a small German filk convention, include the
>following: "Das Committee ist berechtigt, waehrend der Veranstaltung
>Taschenkontrollen durchzufuehren." Their own translation is "The
>Committee is authorized to check the attendees bags during the convention."
>
>Has anyone heard of other cons having a similar rule? "Taschenkontrolle"
>is an uncommon word in German, meaning "check" in the sense of "search,"
>not merely in the sense of leaving one's bags at a holding facility.
>
>This is a small convention (probably less than 50 people) run by friends
>whom I highly trust, so it's not a deal-killer, but for most cons it
>would dissuade me from attending.

I don't know about conventions, but museums, and similar ventures, do
it all the time. IME the search is rather cursory, open your bag and
let the guard look into it.
--

Qualified immuninity = virtual impunity.

Tim Merrigan

https://www.avg.com

Re: Convention rules: bag searches

<srl0e3$t72$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1705&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1705

From: gar...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com (Gary McGath)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 17:30:27 -0500
 by: Gary McGath - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 22:30 UTC

On 1/11/22 1:43 PM, Peter Trei wrote:

>> This is a small convention (probably less than 50 people) run by friends
>> whom I highly trust, so it's not a deal-killer, but for most cons it
>> would dissuade me from attending.
>
> That's a new one on me. Most big cons are at hotels, which don't require it.
>
> Perhaps they did this at some British Cons during The Troubles - there were
> bag checks at all kinds of venues then.

One of the con organizers told me it's a fairly common thing in Germany,
and they put the clause in to satisfy the lawyers.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Re: Convention rules: bag searches

<r5KHK4.MFD@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1706&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1706

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 22:38:28 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 22:38 UTC

In article <s5rrtgpnk5p3tu119ifradmb4c551quhqd@4ax.com>,
Tim Merrigan <tppm@ca.rr.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 12:56:15 -0500, Gary McGath
><garym@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
>
>>The rules for DFDF, a small German filk convention, include the
>>following: "Das Committee ist berechtigt, waehrend der Veranstaltung
>>Taschenkontrollen durchzufuehren." Their own translation is "The
>>Committee is authorized to check the attendees bags during the convention."
>>
>>Has anyone heard of other cons having a similar rule? "Taschenkontrolle"
>>is an uncommon word in German, meaning "check" in the sense of "search,"
>>not merely in the sense of leaving one's bags at a holding facility.
>>
>>This is a small convention (probably less than 50 people) run by friends
>>whom I highly trust, so it's not a deal-killer, but for most cons it
>>would dissuade me from attending.
>
>I don't know about conventions, but museums, and similar ventures, do
>it all the time. IME the search is rather cursory, open your bag and
>let the guard look into it.

Disneyland/World does the same. I understand they confiscate
many more selfie sticks than weaponry.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: Convention rules: bag searches

<srl8lp$ca9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1708&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1708

From: gar...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com (Gary McGath)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 19:51:05 -0500
 by: Gary McGath - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 00:51 UTC

On 1/11/22 5:38 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

>> I don't know about conventions, but museums, and similar ventures, do
>> it all the time. IME the search is rather cursory, open your bag and
>> let the guard look into it.
>
> Disneyland/World does the same. I understand they confiscate
> many more selfie sticks than weaponry.

As does Regal Cinema. The most popular explanation is they're looking
for food that people sneak in.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Re: Convention rules: bag searches

<XnsAE1CAC433929Ataustingmail@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1709&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1709

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 16:56:02 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 23:56 UTC

Gary McGath <garym@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote in

> On 1/11/22 5:38 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>
>>> I don't know about conventions, but museums, and similar
>>> ventures, do it all the time. IME the search is rather
>>> cursory, open your bag and let the guard look into it.
>>
>> Disneyland/World does the same. I understand they confiscate
>> many more selfie sticks than weaponry.
>>

> As does Regal Cinema. The most popular explanation is they're
> looking for food that people sneak in.

Given that pretty much all their income is from the concession stand,
I suspect that really is the reason.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: Convention rules: bag searches

<f47a00a6-6a86-4bb5-bbd2-44f196650293n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1711&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1711

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 21:01:25 -0800 (PST)
From: petert...@gmail.com (Peter Trei)
 by: Peter Trei - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 05:01 UTC

On Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 5:40:19 PM UTC-5, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <s5rrtgpnk5p3tu119...@4ax.com>,
> Tim Merrigan <tp...@ca.rr.com> wrote:
> >On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 12:56:15 -0500, Gary McGath
> ><ga...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
> >
> >>The rules for DFDF, a small German filk convention, include the
> >>following: "Das Committee ist berechtigt, waehrend der Veranstaltung
> >>Taschenkontrollen durchzufuehren." Their own translation is "The
> >>Committee is authorized to check the attendees bags during the convention."
> >>
> >>Has anyone heard of other cons having a similar rule? "Taschenkontrolle"
> >>is an uncommon word in German, meaning "check" in the sense of "search,"
> >>not merely in the sense of leaving one's bags at a holding facility.
> >>
> >>This is a small convention (probably less than 50 people) run by friends
> >>whom I highly trust, so it's not a deal-killer, but for most cons it
> >>would dissuade me from attending.
> >
> >I don't know about conventions, but museums, and similar ventures, do
> >it all the time. IME the search is rather cursory, open your bag and
> >let the guard look into it.
> Disneyland/World does the same. I understand they confiscate
> many more selfie sticks than weaponry.

Watched them doing this last time I was there. Noted that they made
zero effort to check the undercarriage and void spaces of the mobility
scooters a large number of people used. Security Theater strikes again.

Pt

Re: Convention rules: bag searches

<srn8k2$bcr$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1714&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1714

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: 12 Jan 2022 19:02:26 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 19:02 UTC

Gary McGath <garym@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
>As does Regal Cinema. The most popular explanation is they're looking
>for food that people sneak in.

I'm not surprised.

Maybe if they'd actually use butter on their popcorn...
--scott

Re: Convention rules: bag searches

<srp9ke$ogq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1716&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1716

From: gar...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com (Gary McGath)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 08:31:57 -0500
 by: Gary McGath - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 13:31 UTC

On another aspect of convention rules: I've noticed lately that more
conventions have rules saying "the right not to be harassed doesn't mean
the right not to be offended," in contrast with the widespread rules of
just a few years ago saying, in effect, "Saying anything somebody
doesn't like is harassment." There's still a lot of the latter, but
there's more of the former.

I've never been in the middle of battles over convention rules, so I
can't claim any great credit, but I'd like to think I've helped a little
in pushing things that way.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Re: Convention rules: bag searches

<65c9e759-cc79-438e-8da1-883073600962n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1717&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1717

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 06:14:39 -0800 (PST)
From: kev...@my-deja.com (Kevrob)
 by: Kevrob - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 14:14 UTC

On Thursday, January 13, 2022 at 6:30:17 AM UTC-5, Paul Dormer wrote:
> In article <srn8k2$bcr$1...@panix2.panix.com>, klu...@panix.com (Scott
> Dorsey) wrote:
>

> > Maybe if they'd actually use butter on their popcorn...
> I was amused to discover Americans don't like fruit cake.

My older sister makes delicious fruitcake, though the annual gift of one
has apparently been cancelled by COVID-19. My mother made them
when we were kids. Good fruitcake gets a bad reputation from poorly made,
or often just poorly-stored/shipped commercial versions.

> But they like popcorn! Odd.

We USians got popcorn from the folks living here before we white-eyes showed up.

[quote]

......but it wasn’t until 2012 that archaeologists unearthed the first evidence of
popcorn in Peru: 6,700-year-old corn cobs studded with puffed kernels.

[/quote] - https://www.seriouseats.com/popcorn-history-movie-theaters

See also:

https://www.history.com/news/a-history-of-popcorn

Popcorn and the potato! Gracias, Peru!
> Lynne Murphy on her Separated by a Common Language blog discussed
> differences in cakes between the UK and the US recently.
>
> https://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/2021/12/cake.html

I enjoyed that. Thanks.

--
Kevin R

Re: Convention rules: bag searches

<r5nK7s.11zp@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1718&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1718

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 14:28:40 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 14:28 UTC

In article <memo.20220113113015.13008A@pauldormer.cix.co.uk>,
Paul Dormer <prd@pauldormer.cix.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <srn8k2$bcr$1@panix2.panix.com>, kludge@panix.com (Scott
>Dorsey) wrote:
>

>> Maybe if they'd actually use butter on their popcorn...
>
>I was amused to discover Americans don't like fruit cake. But they like
>popcorn! Odd.

Depends on the fruit cake. I have a recipe for fruit cake (which
when sliced looks like stained glass), that once got me a
proposal of marriage.

Mind you, I was already married, and he knew it, and Hal was
standing right there. But it was a gratifying flight of oratory.

(The recipe appears at the end of _The Interior Life_ on my
webpage.)

>https://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/2021/12/cake.html

Ooooh. I did not know this site existed. Bookmarked for further
explanation.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: Convention rules: bag searches

<XnsAE1E5654F418Dtaustingmail@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1719&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1719

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 08:29:12 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 15:29 UTC

> On another aspect of convention rules: I've noticed lately that
> more conventions have rules saying "the right not to be harassed
> doesn't mean the right not to be offended," in contrast with the
> widespread rules of just a few years ago saying, in effect,
> "Saying anything somebody doesn't like is harassment." There's
> still a lot of the latter, but there's more of the former.

The latter is a two edged sword. Taken to enough of an extreme, and
you can complain that you don't like that someone complained about
you. And some of the codes of conduct are so poorly written that that
would be the only logical interpretation.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: Convention rules: bag searches

<dok0ughq8b68hvfsto03rr1vcp8c19etab@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1720&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1720

From: tpp...@ca.rr.com (Tim Merrigan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 08:32:12 -0800
 by: Tim Merrigan - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 16:32 UTC

On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 11:30 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
prd@pauldormer.cix.co.uk (Paul Dormer) wrote:

>In article <srn8k2$bcr$1@panix2.panix.com>, kludge@panix.com (Scott
>Dorsey) wrote:
>

>> Maybe if they'd actually use butter on their popcorn...
>
>I was amused to discover Americans don't like fruit cake. But they like
>popcorn! Odd.
>
>Lynne Murphy on her Separated by a Common Language blog discussed
>differences in cakes between the UK and the US recently.
>
>https://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/2021/12/cake.html

If you have comment privileges there, you might respond to:

There's the one set by gelatin (or vegetarian alternatives) that is
traditional at parties served with ice cream (known as jello in the
US, I believe).

That Jello is a trademarked brand, and the generic is gelatin.
--

Qualified immuninity = virtual impunity.

Tim Merrigan

https://www.avg.com

Re: Convention rules: bag searches

<srpmst$2pa3$1@memoryalpha.rosettacon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1721&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1721

From: rkshul...@rosettacondot.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 17:18:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: rkshul...@rosettacondot.com - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 17:18 UTC

Kevrob <kevrob@my-deja.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, January 13, 2022 at 6:30:17 AM UTC-5, Paul Dormer wrote:
>> In article <srn8k2$bcr$1...@panix2.panix.com>, klu...@panix.com (Scott
>> Dorsey) wrote:
>>

>> > Maybe if they'd actually use butter on their popcorn...
>> I was amused to discover Americans don't like fruit cake.
>
> My older sister makes delicious fruitcake, though the annual gift of one
> has apparently been cancelled by COVID-19. My mother made them
> when we were kids. Good fruitcake gets a bad reputation from poorly made,
> or often just poorly-stored/shipped commercial versions.

I dearly love American-style fruitcake, but there are some incredibly poor
quality examples sold out there.
We like this one, although it's pricy compared to the (ugh) "Walmart special":
https://collinstreet.com/deluxe-fruitcake
You don't hit "wheat flour" until the fourth ingredient. The top ingredient
is pecans (27%). We're infusing one with rum right now.
Of course it's a bit like beer...better quality only gets you so far. If you
don't like it, you don't like it.

Robert
--
Robert K. Shull Email: rkshull at rosettacon dot com

Re: Convention rules: bag searches

<94fa4a3d-89c1-4443-8a5c-5a917b0fa7f7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1724&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1724

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 12:42:41 -0800 (PST)
From: kev...@my-deja.com (Kevrob)
 by: Kevrob - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 20:42 UTC

On Thursday, January 13, 2022 at 12:28:40 PM UTC-5, Paul Dormer wrote:
> In article <65c9e759-cc79-438e...@googlegroups.com>,
> kev...@my-deja.com (Kevrob) wrote:
>

> > My older sister makes delicious fruitcake, though the annual gift of
> > one has apparently been cancelled by COVID-19. My mother made them
> > when we were kids. Good fruitcake gets a bad reputation from
> > poorly made, or often just poorly-stored/shipped commercial versions.
> My mother used to make a good Christmas cake and now my sister does. As
> I couldn't get to visit her this Christmas she sent a sample along with
> my Christmas present. And then the Royal Mail messed things up. Someone
> got the From address and the To address confused and Guildford sorting
> office sent it back to Corbridge, where she lives. It did finally get to
> me, and before Christmas.

In our Irish-descended family, the fruitcake is likely a remnant of the
Christmas cake tradition. The awful ones are infamous in song and
story.

https://mudcat.org/@displaysong.cfm?SongID=3991

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al1n1s3n8-U&ab_channel=MickMoloneyandEugeneO%27Donnell-Topic

--
Kevin R

Re: Convention rules: bag searches

<r5oAuK.1zoq@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1728&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1728

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 00:03:56 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 00:03 UTC

In article <srpmst$2pa3$1@memoryalpha.rosettacon.com>,
<rkshullat@rosettacondot.com> wrote:
>Kevrob <kevrob@my-deja.com> wrote:
>> On Thursday, January 13, 2022 at 6:30:17 AM UTC-5, Paul Dormer wrote:

>>> I was amused to discover Americans don't like fruit cake.
>>
>> My older sister makes delicious fruitcake, though the annual gift of one
>> has apparently been cancelled by COVID-19. My mother made them
>> when we were kids. Good fruitcake gets a bad reputation from poorly made,
>> or often just poorly-stored/shipped commercial versions.
>
>I dearly love American-style fruitcake, but there are some incredibly poor
>quality examples sold out there.
>We like this one, although it's pricy compared to the (ugh) "Walmart special":
>https://collinstreet.com/deluxe-fruitcake
>You don't hit "wheat flour" until the fourth ingredient. The top ingredient
>is pecans (27%). We're infusing one with rum right now.
>Of course it's a bit like beer...better quality only gets you so far. If you
>don't like it, you don't like it.

Well, depending how you put them together, the wheat flour is
*tenth* on my list. This is if you list all the candied fruit
and nuts before starting in on the butter, sugar, and eggs.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California