The part of the world that people find most puzzling is the part called "Me".

arts / rec.arts.sf.science / science-based fantasy

SubjectAuthor
* science-based fantasyWolfFan
+* Re: science-based fantasyRobert Woodward
|`- Re: science-based fantasyted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
+* Re: science-based fantasyDefault User
|`* Re: science-based fantasyLynn McGuire
| +* Re: science-based fantasyPaul S Person
| |+* Re: science-based fantasyted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
| ||`- Re: science-based fantasyPaul S Person
| |`* Re: science-based fantasyDimensional Traveler
| | `- Re: science-based fantasyPaul S Person
| `- Re: science-based fantasyDefault User
+- Re: science-based fantasyMichael F. Stemper
`- Re: science-based fantasyGarrett Wollman

1
science-based fantasy

<0001HW.2AB908E800787E9370001026838F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=173&group=rec.arts.sf.science#173

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 18:38:32 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Subject: science-based fantasy
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.science, rec.arts.sf.written
 by: WolfFan - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 22:38 UTC

So I was re-reading Asimov recently, and one of the stories was Pate de Foie
Gras, about the goose that laid the golden egg. This is a special goose:
it’s a nuclear reactor. It converts oxygen-18 to iron-56 to gold-197. As
gold is a heavy metal and toxic, it gets rid of the gold as plating in its
eggs. Which are infertile, thanks to the gold. There’s a lot more
sciency-style detail about the experiments which determine how it does this.

Poul Anderson once had a fantasy involving all kinds of magical creatures and
all kinds of magical effects, such as certain creatures turning to stone on
being exposed to sunlight... and inflicting a curse on any who plunder their
stoney bodies. Obviously, if carbon is transmuted to silicon, it’ll
probably be a _radioactive_ isotope of silicon... Similar sciency-stuff for
other things.

And Randall Garret perpetuated a story in which he alleges that the original
Thor was a time-traveller with a big handgun. Yeah, there were frost giants,
who were really naughty. Yeah, “It flew from his hand! Smote them! Crushed
them! And returned!"

And David Brin has Thor meet Captain America, but not the way most think. And
Loki’s a good guy.

Any more candidates?

Re: science-based fantasy

<robertaw-01BBDB.22010118092023@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=174&group=rec.arts.sf.science#174

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: science-based fantasy
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 22:01:01 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 05:01 UTC

In article <0001HW.2AB908E800787E9370001026838F@news.supernews.com>,
WolfFan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:

> So I was re-reading Asimov recently, and one of the stories was Pate de Foie
> Gras, about the goose that laid the golden egg. This is a special goose:
> it’s a nuclear reactor. It converts oxygen-18 to iron-56 to gold-197. As
> gold is a heavy metal and toxic, it gets rid of the gold as plating in its
> eggs. Which are infertile, thanks to the gold. There’s a lot more
> sciency-style detail about the experiments which determine how it does this.
>
> Poul Anderson once had a fantasy involving all kinds of magical creatures and
> all kinds of magical effects, such as certain creatures turning to stone on
> being exposed to sunlight... and inflicting a curse on any who plunder their
> stoney bodies. Obviously, if carbon is transmuted to silicon, it’ll
> probably be a _radioactive_ isotope of silicon... Similar sciency-stuff for
> other things.
>
> And Randall Garret perpetuated a story in which he alleges that the original
> Thor was a time-traveller with a big handgun. Yeah, there were frost giants,
> who were really naughty. Yeah, “It flew from his hand! Smote them! Crushed
> them! And returned!"
>
> And David Brin has Thor meet Captain America, but not the way most think. And
> Loki’s a good guy.
>
> Any more candidates?

Do Rosemary Kirstein's _The Steerswoman_ and sequels qualify? There are
people who are referred to as wizards and monsters such as dragons and
basilisks, but it all Clarke's Third Law fakery. Also "demons" showed up
in a sequel, but they were an alien species.

Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: science-based fantasy

<kmsq2oFbtllU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175&group=rec.arts.sf.science#175

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 19 Sep 2023 05:32:08 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 05:32 UTC

In article <robertaw-01BBDB.22010118092023@news.individual.net>,
Robert Woodward <robertaw@drizzle.com> wrote:
>In article <0001HW.2AB908E800787E9370001026838F@news.supernews.com>,
> WolfFan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
>
>> So I was re-reading Asimov recently, and one of the stories was Pate de Foie
>> Gras, about the goose that laid the golden egg. This is a special goose:
>> it’s a nuclear reactor. It converts oxygen-18 to iron-56 to gold-197. As
>> gold is a heavy metal and toxic, it gets rid of the gold as plating in its
>> eggs. Which are infertile, thanks to the gold. There’s a lot more
>> sciency-style detail about the experiments which determine how it does this.
>>
>> Poul Anderson once had a fantasy involving all kinds of magical creatures and
>> all kinds of magical effects, such as certain creatures turning to stone on
>> being exposed to sunlight... and inflicting a curse on any who plunder their
>> stoney bodies. Obviously, if carbon is transmuted to silicon, it’ll
>> probably be a _radioactive_ isotope of silicon... Similar sciency-stuff for
>> other things.
>>
>> And Randall Garret perpetuated a story in which he alleges that the original
>> Thor was a time-traveller with a big handgun. Yeah, there were frost giants,
>> who were really naughty. Yeah, “It flew from his hand! Smote them! Crushed
>> them! And returned!"
>>
>> And David Brin has Thor meet Captain America, but not the way most think. And
>> Loki’s a good guy.
>>
>> Any more candidates?
>
>Do Rosemary Kirstein's _The Steerswoman_ and sequels qualify? There are
>people who are referred to as wizards and monsters such as dragons and
>basilisks, but it all Clarke's Third Law fakery. Also "demons" showed up
>in a sequel, but they were an alien species.

And still nothing new, dang it!
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: science-based fantasy

<uee5q8$2qsnb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176&group=rec.arts.sf.science#176

From: defaultu...@yahoo.com (Default User)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.science, rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 07:08:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Default User - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 07:08 UTC

WolfFan wrote:

>Any more candidates?

A modern example is the Innkeeper Chronicles series from "Ilona
Andrews" (a husband/wife duo). It starts out seeming like an urban
fantasy. Dina is the keeper of a magic Inn, where she travels through
portals the marketplace with many strange creatures. A group of
Vampires is expected for stay. And she detects that a Werewolf has
moved into the neighborhood.

But it turns out it's all supposed to be science fiction. The Inn is a
living being that's psychially linked with Dina. The Vampires are
humanoid warrious with fangs, from distant worlds, not undead
bloodsuckers. The Werewolf is the descendent of bioengineered soldiers
from yet another world.

Now, the science is pretty soft, especially the biology (her sister has
baby with a Vampire) and this would I think fall in the "science
fantasy" category.

Brian

Re: science-based fantasy

<ueeq9d$2ufgb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=177&group=rec.arts.sf.science#177

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 07:58:21 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 12:58 UTC

On 18/09/2023 17.38, WolfFan wrote:
> So I was re-reading Asimov recently, and one of the stories was Pate de Foie
> Gras, about the goose that laid the golden egg. This is a special goose:
> it’s a nuclear reactor. It converts oxygen-18 to iron-56 to gold-197. As

> Any more candidates?

Would Zelazny's _Lord of Light_ fit into this category? It has what seem to
be Hindu (or at least Indian) gods who turn out to just be users of sufficiently
advanced technology.

--
Michael F. Stemper
This post contains greater than 95% post-consumer bytes by weight.

Re: science-based fantasy

<ueftpo$2ad4$1@usenet.csail.mit.edu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=178&group=rec.arts.sf.science#178

From: woll...@bimajority.org (Garrett Wollman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 23:04:24 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: wollman@bimajority.org (Garrett Wollman)
 by: Garrett Wollman - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 23:04 UTC

In article <0001HW.2AB908E800787E9370001026838F@news.supernews.com>,
WolfFan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:

[mucho snippage]
>Any more candidates?

One of the major complaints (or high points, if you are In The Know)
about Graydon Saunders' Commonweal series is the frequent reference to
-- an expectation that the readers will be able to make sense of --
various aspects of science, engineering, and advanced mathematics,
whether it be algebraic topology or general relativity or geology. Or
the design constraints for canals and bridges, or railguns.

Some people like this. Some critics are bored or even disoriented by
it. It's not ever entirely clear what material constraints from the
real world (like, say, conservation laws) should be read into
secondary world -- I think of it as the author making a wink and a nod
at the presumably knowing reader.

Another, much older example in this genre would be Julian May's Saga
of Pliocene Exile and Galactic Milieu series -- basically an exercise
in "What if... Teilhard de Chardin but also Unified Field Theory, with
aliens and superluminal intergalactic travel?" (But May was much more
of a plotter than Saunders seems inclined to be, and wasn't trying to
make a point other than to put sciencey and folklorey stuff in there
for reviewers to find lest they make it up on their own.)

-GAWollman

wollman@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is

Re: science-based fantasy

<uej2kr$3u42f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179&group=rec.arts.sf.science#179

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 22:45:31 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 03:45 UTC

On 9/20/2023 2:08 AM, Default User wrote:
> WolfFan wrote:
>
>> Any more candidates?
>
> A modern example is the Innkeeper Chronicles series from "Ilona
> Andrews" (a husband/wife duo). It starts out seeming like an urban
> fantasy. Dina is the keeper of a magic Inn, where she travels through
> portals the marketplace with many strange creatures. A group of
> Vampires is expected for stay. And she detects that a Werewolf has
> moved into the neighborhood.
>
> But it turns out it's all supposed to be science fiction. The Inn is a
> living being that's psychially linked with Dina. The Vampires are
> humanoid warrious with fangs, from distant worlds, not undead
> bloodsuckers. The Werewolf is the descendent of bioengineered soldiers
> from yet another world.
>
> Now, the science is pretty soft, especially the biology (her sister has
> baby with a Vampire) and this would I think fall in the "science
> fantasy" category.
>

> Brian

No more softer than the Liadens having babies with Terrans. Liadens are
from another Universe, not just another planet. Of course, there is the
Jurassic Park argument, biology will find a way.

Lynn

Re: science-based fantasy

<egcrgidcmrrkqjtf36b5jnu669rnmif2ui@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180&group=rec.arts.sf.science#180

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 08:29:28 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 15:29 UTC

On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 22:45:31 -0500, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 9/20/2023 2:08 AM, Default User wrote:
>> WolfFan wrote:
>>
>>> Any more candidates?
>>
>> A modern example is the Innkeeper Chronicles series from "Ilona
>> Andrews" (a husband/wife duo). It starts out seeming like an urban
>> fantasy. Dina is the keeper of a magic Inn, where she travels through
>> portals the marketplace with many strange creatures. A group of
>> Vampires is expected for stay. And she detects that a Werewolf has
>> moved into the neighborhood.
>>
>> But it turns out it's all supposed to be science fiction. The Inn is a
>> living being that's psychially linked with Dina. The Vampires are
>> humanoid warrious with fangs, from distant worlds, not undead
>> bloodsuckers. The Werewolf is the descendent of bioengineered soldiers
>> from yet another world.
>>
>> Now, the science is pretty soft, especially the biology (her sister has
>> baby with a Vampire) and this would I think fall in the "science
>> fantasy" category.
>>

>> Brian
>
>No more softer than the Liadens having babies with Terrans. Liadens are
>from another Universe, not just another planet. Of course, there is the
>Jurassic Park argument, biology will find a way.

I don't see that being from another Universe, as such, matters.

Those who believe that the Universe is fully-determined or entirely
mechanistic, for example, would, it seems to me, have to agree that,
if two Universes had the exact same physics and the exact same
starting conditions, then they would progress /identically/ in every
way, simply because no alternatives exist. So, if the Liadans came
from the Earth of the alternate Universe, then they and Terrans would
be -- the same species. With the same history, the same languages, the
same cultures.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,

Re: science-based fantasy

<kn5qfgFpc07U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=181&group=rec.arts.sf.science#181

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 22 Sep 2023 15:34:08 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 15:34 UTC

In article <egcrgidcmrrkqjtf36b5jnu669rnmif2ui@4ax.com>,
Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 22:45:31 -0500, Lynn McGuire
><lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> A modern example is the Innkeeper Chronicles series from "Ilona
>>> Andrews" (a husband/wife duo). It starts out seeming like an urban
>>> fantasy. Dina is the keeper of a magic Inn, where she travels through
>>> portals the marketplace with many strange creatures. A group of
>>> Vampires is expected for stay. And she detects that a Werewolf has
>>> moved into the neighborhood.
>>>
>>> But it turns out it's all supposed to be science fiction. The Inn is a
>>> living being that's psychially linked with Dina. The Vampires are
>>> humanoid warrious with fangs, from distant worlds, not undead
>>> bloodsuckers. The Werewolf is the descendent of bioengineered soldiers
>>> from yet another world.
>>>
>>> Now, the science is pretty soft, especially the biology (her sister has
>>> baby with a Vampire) and this would I think fall in the "science
>>> fantasy" category.
>>>

>>> Brian
>>
>>No more softer than the Liadens having babies with Terrans. Liadens are
>>from another Universe, not just another planet. Of course, there is the
>>Jurassic Park argument, biology will find a way.
>
>I don't see that being from another Universe, as such, matters.
>
>Those who believe that the Universe is fully-determined or entirely
>mechanistic, for example, would, it seems to me, have to agree that,
>if two Universes had the exact same physics and the exact same
>starting conditions, then they would progress /identically/ in every
>way, simply because no alternatives exist. So, if the Liadans came
>from the Earth of the alternate Universe, then they and Terrans would
>be -- the same species. With the same history, the same languages, the
>same cultures.
>--

That's not the way the Liaden old universe worked. For instance, the
value of Pi was not the same, setting aside a completely different set
of stars & planets.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: science-based fantasy

<uekoes$cav5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=182&group=rec.arts.sf.science#182

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 12:03:57 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 19:03 UTC

On 9/22/2023 8:29 AM, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 22:45:31 -0500, Lynn McGuire
> <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> A modern example is the Innkeeper Chronicles series from "Ilona
>>> Andrews" (a husband/wife duo). It starts out seeming like an urban
>>> fantasy. Dina is the keeper of a magic Inn, where she travels through
>>> portals the marketplace with many strange creatures. A group of
>>> Vampires is expected for stay. And she detects that a Werewolf has
>>> moved into the neighborhood.
>>>
>>> But it turns out it's all supposed to be science fiction. The Inn is a
>>> living being that's psychially linked with Dina. The Vampires are
>>> humanoid warrious with fangs, from distant worlds, not undead
>>> bloodsuckers. The Werewolf is the descendent of bioengineered soldiers
>>> from yet another world.
>>>
>>> Now, the science is pretty soft, especially the biology (her sister has
>>> baby with a Vampire) and this would I think fall in the "science
>>> fantasy" category.
>>>

>>> Brian
>>
>> No more softer than the Liadens having babies with Terrans. Liadens are
>>from another Universe, not just another planet. Of course, there is the
>> Jurassic Park argument, biology will find a way.
>
> I don't see that being from another Universe, as such, matters.
>
> Those who believe that the Universe is fully-determined or entirely
> mechanistic, for example, would, it seems to me, have to agree that,
> if two Universes had the exact same physics and the exact same
> starting conditions, then they would progress /identically/ in every
> way, simply because no alternatives exist. So, if the Liadans came
> from the Earth of the alternate Universe, then they and Terrans would
> be -- the same species. With the same history, the same languages, the
> same cultures.

And both developing and using the ability to travel to the other
universe at the same time....

--
buy them buy them buy them buy them buy them buy them buy them buy them
buy them buy them

dirty old man.

Re: science-based fantasy

<uela5b$fnht$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=183&group=rec.arts.sf.science#183

From: defaultu...@yahoo.com (Default User)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 00:06:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Default User - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 00:06 UTC

Lynn McGuire wrote:

>On 9/20/2023 2:08 AM, Default User wrote:

>>Now, the science is pretty soft, especially the biology (her sister
>>has baby with a Vampire) and this would I think fall in the "science
>>fantasy" category.

>No more softer than the Liadens having babies with Terrans. Liadens
>are from another Universe, not just another planet. Of course, there
>is the Jurassic Park argument, biology will find a way.

Yes, pretty much any similar cross-fertilization is bad science.

Brian

Re: science-based fantasy

<a23ugi96iuc9luohnpb8d2q4df4pp8i859@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=184&group=rec.arts.sf.science#184

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 09:04:18 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 16:04 UTC

On 22 Sep 2023 15:34:08 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
<tednolan>) wrote:

>In article <egcrgidcmrrkqjtf36b5jnu669rnmif2ui@4ax.com>,
>Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>>On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 22:45:31 -0500, Lynn McGuire
>><lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>No more softer than the Liadens having babies with Terrans. Liadens are
>>>from another Universe, not just another planet. Of course, there is the
>>>Jurassic Park argument, biology will find a way.
>>
>>I don't see that being from another Universe, as such, matters.
>>
>>Those who believe that the Universe is fully-determined or entirely
>>mechanistic, for example, would, it seems to me, have to agree that,
>>if two Universes had the exact same physics and the exact same
>>starting conditions, then they would progress /identically/ in every
>>way, simply because no alternatives exist. So, if the Liadans came
>>from the Earth of the alternate Universe, then they and Terrans would
>>be -- the same species. With the same history, the same languages, the
>>same cultures.
>>--
>
>That's not the way the Liaden old universe worked. For instance, the
>value of Pi was not the same, setting aside a completely different set
>of stars & planets.

Well, then interbreeding might indeed be a problem, depending on how
different they were from each other.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,
Giving as his excuse, 'I never knew him.'"

Re: science-based fantasy

<f43ugi11pmmg93cqtfc77q7gr7ekb7o0l1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=185&group=rec.arts.sf.science#185

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 09:08:33 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 16:08 UTC

On Fri, 22 Sep 2023 12:03:57 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 9/22/2023 8:29 AM, Paul S Person wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 22:45:31 -0500, Lynn McGuire
>> <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> No more softer than the Liadens having babies with Terrans. Liadens are
>>>from another Universe, not just another planet. Of course, there is the
>>> Jurassic Park argument, biology will find a way.
>>
>> I don't see that being from another Universe, as such, matters.
>>
>> Those who believe that the Universe is fully-determined or entirely
>> mechanistic, for example, would, it seems to me, have to agree that,
>> if two Universes had the exact same physics and the exact same
>> starting conditions, then they would progress /identically/ in every
>> way, simply because no alternatives exist. So, if the Liadans came
>> from the Earth of the alternate Universe, then they and Terrans would
>> be -- the same species. With the same history, the same languages, the
>> same cultures.
>
>And both developing and using the ability to travel to the other
>universe at the same time....

Doing everything in lock-step.

Imagine an entire multiverse of individual universes in lock-step.

Rather boring, wouldn't you say? Not to mention superfluous.

Universes that have choices, that are at best /mostly/ deterministic
or mechanical, which might indeed differentiate, would be much more
interesting.