From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: WALKER: INDEPENDENCE - "The Death of Mary Collins" (ep. #8): 01-12-2023
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 10:29:50 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 5 Feb 2023 18:29 UTC

For Adam! Who probably isn't even watching this anymore!!!

No spoiler space for this turkey!!

Walker: Independence (recorded) - "The Death of Mary Collins" (ep. #8).
OK, this was a mess!
*Seriously*?!! They're going to pull this crap *now*!! - You see, in
this episode, Abby spies somebody (Timothy Granaderos) she *thinks* is
Sheriff Davidson, but then realizes it's not! Which means she's no
longer sure Davidson killed her husband!!! It might have been this new
lookalike dude!1! [Blech!]
I was annoyed with the way this one opened - there was a long gap
between aired episodes and so it took me a while to remember what was
going on, and this episode obviously began with an
(unspecified-in-length) "time jump" of possibly weeks. And I thought it
was going to be entirely without Sheriff Davidson, with how they
referred to him convalescing out of town - though he quickly shows up
near the beginning of the ep.
The episode opens with a "Scooby gang" meeting, but Callian is
absent (I guess he "left town" at the end of the previous
episode?!...), and Deputy Augustus has been "read in" to the group now,
much to Hoyt's annoyance.
Anyway, Abby's long-lost estranged sister, Charlotte (Stella Baker,
daughter of Simon Baker and Rebecca Rigg! and also the lead in another
short-lived CW TV series), shows up in town looking for "Mary Collins".
Sidenote: Mary is Abby's nickname(?!) - how convenient!!... And,
wait, what?!!?!! - The sister's name is Collins, and this is *Abby's*
sister! But Abby's husband's name was also Collins!?! So where did the
name "Walker" come from!! I am so f***ing confused right now!!
Anyway, Charlotte goes to the Sheriff looking for her sister.
Augustus is able to prevent Abby's sister and Abby from being in the
same room at the same time with the sheriff before Abby can be brought
up to speed on her sister's arrival.
So, Abby and co. have to figure out how to get the sheriff off the
trail of "Mary Collins", and thus Abby herself. So, they fake Abby's
"death" (where did they get the skeleton from?!!), which seems to
satisfy the sheriff that there are no "loose ends" in the Liam
Collins(?!?! how is he also a "Collins"!?!?!) murder case.
And, for no reason whatsoever, Kate and Abby's sister Charlotte
engage in a torrid affair - I guess Kate swings "both ways", which
actually seems consistent with the Kate character, who seems like she'd
be willing to do *anything* to solve one of her cases!...
After faking Abby's death, Charlotte somewhat reconciles with Abby,
and leaves town. (Will we see her again?... Not likely, as this series
is not long for this world!!)
There's a subplot with Kai wanting to leave town, because the Tong
are on to him, but Kai decides to stay, so he and Hoyt try to devise a
defensive plan for Kai.
For no reason whatsoever, Hoyt quits working for the Reyeses at the
end of this one. (Lucia Reyes was completely absent from this episode,
and I wonder if the show has already forgotten about her, and will
simply just write her out...)
Meanwhile, Callian (who I think is Commanche?...) comes across
another hott!! Native American woman (who I guess is Apache?...). She's
hostile at first, and shows Callian that the railroad men massacred her
village. So, I'm sure, Callian and this chyck will be gettin' it on
soon!!
At the end, Abby informs the other Scoobies that she is no longer
certain that Sheriff Davidson murdered her husband! Like the audience,
the other Scoobies all seemed to roll their eyes at this revelation!!
Next episode: Kai's supposedly dead "love" shows up in town!!

Re: WALKER: INDEPENDENCE - "The Death of Mary Collins" (ep. #8): 01-12-2023

<ts9vcq$1msce$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175238&group=rec.arts.tv#175238

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 06:02:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 06:02 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>For Adam! Who probably isn't even watching this anymore!!!

>No spoiler space for this turkey!!

All right, Ian. All right. I watched it. I just didn't want to think
about it, but I suppose I should since you wrote it up.

This episode caused me to question why I watch anything on the C-Wub,
why I've watched anything in the past on the C-Wub, why I'd watch
anything on the C-Wub in future, and how suicidally depressed would I
have to be feeling to finish off all the unwatched episodes I have of
Supergirl.

>Walker: Independence (recorded) - "The Death of Mary Collins" (ep. #8).
> OK, this was a mess!
> *Seriously*?!! They're going to pull this crap *now*!! - You see, in
>this episode, Abby spies somebody (Timothy Granaderos) she *thinks* is
>Sheriff Davidson, but then realizes it's not! Which means she's no
>longer sure Davidson killed her husband!!! It might have been this new
>lookalike dude!1! [Blech!]

There is nothing I hate more than an evil twin plot. Nothing waves
the flag of surrender of imagination among tv writers than an evil twin
plot.

On an even more important note, where are they going with the land grab
plot of the evil-doing Davidsons? We never see any of them. It's all
throw-away speechifying by other characters about whatever the hell it
is they are doing. If it's motivating everything and we never see any of
it, how is this drama?

> I was annoyed with the way this one opened - there was a long gap
>between aired episodes and so it took me a while to remember what was
>going on, and this episode obviously began with an
>(unspecified-in-length) "time jump" of possibly weeks. And I thought it
>was going to be entirely without Sheriff Davidson, with how they
>referred to him convalescing out of town - though he quickly shows up
>near the beginning of the ep.

His life-threatening injury wasn't life threatening in any way. It was
super easy, barely an inconvenience.

> The episode opens with a "Scooby gang" meeting, but Callian is
>absent (I guess he "left town" at the end of the previous
>episode?!...), and Deputy Augustus has been "read in" to the group now,
>much to Hoyt's annoyance.

I have no idea when he left, and Hoyt wasn't the only one who was
annoyed. Why hasn't the Chinese guy been read in? Is it a restaurant or
a laundry anyway?

> Anyway, Abby's long-lost estranged sister, Charlotte (Stella Baker,
>daughter of Simon Baker and Rebecca Rigg! and also the lead in another
>short-lived CW TV series), shows up in town looking for "Mary Collins".

Charlotte was Liam's sister.

> Sidenote: Mary is Abby's nickname(?!) - how convenient!!... And,
>wait, what?!!?!! - The sister's name is Collins, and this is *Abby's*
>sister! But Abby's husband's name was also Collins!?! So where did the
>name "Walker" come from!! I am so f***ing confused right now!!

We don't know what Abby's maiden name was, do we?

> Anyway, Charlotte goes to the Sheriff looking for her sister.
>Augustus is able to prevent Abby's sister and Abby from being in the
>same room at the same time with the sheriff before Abby can be brought
>up to speed on her sister's arrival.
> So, Abby and co. have to figure out how to get the sheriff off the
>trail of "Mary Collins", and thus Abby herself. So, they fake Abby's
>"death" (where did they get the skeleton from?!!),

The skeleton shop is next door to the brain depository in Young
Frankenstein.

>which seems to
>satisfy the sheriff that there are no "loose ends" in the Liam
>Collins(?!?! how is he also a "Collins"!?!?!) murder case.
> And, for no reason whatsoever, Kate and Abby's sister Charlotte
>engage in a torrid affair - I guess Kate swings "both ways", which
>actually seems consistent with the Kate character, who seems like she'd
>be willing to do *anything* to solve one of her cases!...
> After faking Abby's death, Charlotte somewhat reconciles with Abby,
>and leaves town. (Will we see her again?... Not likely, as this series
>is not long for this world!!)
> There's a subplot with Kai wanting to leave town, because the Tong
>are on to him, but Kai decides to stay, so he and Hoyt try to devise a
>defensive plan for Kai.

They're going to put him in a silly mustache.

> For no reason whatsoever, Hoyt quits working for the Reyeses at the
>end of this one. (Lucia Reyes was completely absent from this episode,
>and I wonder if the show has already forgotten about her, and will
>simply just write her out...)

Hold on a minute. During the time jump, Hoyt had been working on the
ranch as a foreman, actually critical to its operation, so that if he
quits, the womenfolk are gonna starve. The brother murdered the father.
Because hard-working effective ranch foreman is next step up from world's
most inept bank robber.

> Meanwhile, Callian (who I think is Commanche?...) comes across
>another hott!! Native American woman (who I guess is Apache?...). She's
>hostile at first, and shows Callian that the railroad men massacred her
>village. So, I'm sure, Callian and this chyck will be gettin' it on
>soon!!
> At the end, Abby informs the other Scoobies that she is no longer
>certain that Sheriff Davidson murdered her husband! Like the audience,
>the other Scoobies all seemed to roll their eyes at this revelation!!
> Next episode: Kai's supposedly dead "love" shows up in town!!

The C-Wub must die.

Re: WALKER: INDEPENDENCE - "The Death of Mary Collins" (ep. #8): 01-12-2023

<tsa554$1ndq9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175248&group=rec.arts.tv#175248

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 23:40:20 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 07:40 UTC

On 2023-02-12 06:02:02 +0000, Adam H. Kerman said:

> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> For Adam! Who probably isn't even watching this anymore!!!
>
>> No spoiler space for this turkey!!
>
> All right, Ian. All right. I watched it. I just didn't want to think
> about it, but I suppose I should since you wrote it up.
>
> This episode caused me to question why I watch anything on the C-Wub,
> why I've watched anything in the past on the C-Wub, why I'd watch
> anything on the C-Wub in future, and how suicidally depressed would I
> have to be feeling to finish off all the unwatched episodes I have of
> Supergirl.
>
>> Walker: Independence (recorded) - "The Death of Mary Collins" (ep. #8).
>> OK, this was a mess!
>> *Seriously*?!! They're going to pull this crap *now*!! - You see, in
>> this episode, Abby spies somebody (Timothy Granaderos) she *thinks* is
>> Sheriff Davidson, but then realizes it's not! Which means she's no
>> longer sure Davidson killed her husband!!! It might have been this new
>> lookalike dude!1! [Blech!]
>
> There is nothing I hate more than an evil twin plot. Nothing waves
> the flag of surrender of imagination among tv writers than an evil twin
> plot.
>
> On an even more important note, where are they going with the land grab
> plot of the evil-doing Davidsons? We never see any of them. It's all
> throw-away speechifying by other characters about whatever the hell it
> is they are doing. If it's motivating everything and we never see any of
> it, how is this drama?

Yeah, Tom Davidson is only EVOL!!1! when the show needs him to be, then
completely forgets about his EVOLness when it doesn't.

>> I was annoyed with the way this one opened - there was a long gap
>> between aired episodes and so it took me a while to remember what was
>> going on, and this episode obviously began with an
>> (unspecified-in-length) "time jump" of possibly weeks. And I thought it
>> was going to be entirely without Sheriff Davidson, with how they
>> referred to him convalescing out of town - though he quickly shows up
>> near the beginning of the ep.
>
> His life-threatening injury wasn't life threatening in any way. It was
> super easy, barely an inconvenience.
>
>> The episode opens with a "Scooby gang" meeting, but Callian is
>> absent (I guess he "left town" at the end of the previous
>> episode?!...), and Deputy Augustus has been "read in" to the group now,
>> much to Hoyt's annoyance.
>
> I have no idea when he left, and Hoyt wasn't the only one who was
> annoyed. Why hasn't the Chinese guy been read in? Is it a restaurant or
> a laundry anyway?
>
>> Anyway, Abby's long-lost estranged sister, Charlotte (Stella Baker,
>> daughter of Simon Baker and Rebecca Rigg! and also the lead in another
>> short-lived CW TV series), shows up in town looking for "Mary Collins".
>
> Charlotte was Liam's sister.

She wasn't - she's Abby's sister.

>> Sidenote: Mary is Abby's nickname(?!) - how convenient!!... And,
>> wait, what?!!?!! - The sister's name is Collins, and this is *Abby's*
>> sister! But Abby's husband's name was also Collins!?! So where did the
>> name "Walker" come from!! I am so f***ing confused right now!!
>
> We don't know what Abby's maiden name was, do we?

See my review of the next episode, which clears this all up -
basically, IMDb was wrong (and, as per usge, when I sent in a
correction, telling IMDb they were really, truly, sincerly wrong, they
rejected my correction).

IMDb really doesn't want you to fix incorrect info... >:|

>> Anyway, Charlotte goes to the Sheriff looking for her sister.
>> Augustus is able to prevent Abby's sister and Abby from being in the
>> same room at the same time with the sheriff before Abby can be brought
>> up to speed on her sister's arrival.
>> So, Abby and co. have to figure out how to get the sheriff off the
>> trail of "Mary Collins", and thus Abby herself. So, they fake Abby's
>> "death" (where did they get the skeleton from?!!),
>
> The skeleton shop is next door to the brain depository in Young
> Frankenstein.
>
>> which seems to
>> satisfy the sheriff that there are no "loose ends" in the Liam
>> Collins(?!?! how is he also a "Collins"!?!?!) murder case.
>> And, for no reason whatsoever, Kate and Abby's sister Charlotte
>> engage in a torrid affair - I guess Kate swings "both ways", which
>> actually seems consistent with the Kate character, who seems like she'd
>> be willing to do *anything* to solve one of her cases!...
>> After faking Abby's death, Charlotte somewhat reconciles with Abby,
>> and leaves town. (Will we see her again?... Not likely, as this series
>> is not long for this world!!)
>> There's a subplot with Kai wanting to leave town, because the Tong
>> are on to him, but Kai decides to stay, so he and Hoyt try to devise a
>> defensive plan for Kai.
>
> They're going to put him in a silly mustache.

The resolution to this Kai storyline is actually far worse than that, I
thought...

>> For no reason whatsoever, Hoyt quits working for the Reyeses at the
>> end of this one. (Lucia Reyes was completely absent from this episode,
>> and I wonder if the show has already forgotten about her, and will
>> simply just write her out...)
>
> Hold on a minute. During the time jump, Hoyt had been working on the
> ranch as a foreman, actually critical to its operation, so that if he
> quits, the womenfolk are gonna starve. The brother murdered the father.
> Because hard-working effective ranch foreman is next step up from world's
> most inept bank robber.
>
>> Meanwhile, Callian (who I think is Commanche?...) comes across
>> another hott!! Native American woman (who I guess is Apache?...). She's
>> hostile at first, and shows Callian that the railroad men massacred her
>> village. So, I'm sure, Callian and this chyck will be gettin' it on
>> soon!!

BTW, I guess I had this backward(?) - Calian is Apache, so the hott!!
Native American woman must be Commanche.

>> At the end, Abby informs the other Scoobies that she is no longer
>> certain that Sheriff Davidson murdered her husband! Like the audience,
>> the other Scoobies all seemed to roll their eyes at this revelation!!
>> Next episode: Kai's supposedly dead "love" shows up in town!!
>
> The C-Wub must die.

It's almost there - just about 3 more months to go!!...