It's easier to take it apart than to put it back together. -- Washlesky

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Romantic Love and Arranged Marriages

SubjectAuthor
* Romantic Love and Arranged MarriagesIlya Shambat
+- Re: Romantic Love and Arranged MarriagesMichael Pendragon
`- Re: Romantic Love and Arranged MarriagesFamily Guy

1
Romantic Love and Arranged Marriages

<00657cb2-e43a-4365-be7e-e0beedf4a94bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=174452&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#174452

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 15:17:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Romantic Love and Arranged Marriages
From: ibsham...@gmail.com (Ilya Shambat)
 by: Ilya Shambat - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 22:17 UTC

There have been many people who militate against romantic love.

The simple fact is that most people will want to have families and children, and this is much better done within the context of a relationship in which people love one another than in the context of a relationship in which they do not.

The alternative to romantic love is arranged marriages. The problem with arranged marriages is that the parents are not their children. Many times they don’t understand or don’t like their children, and they either don’t know how to, or are unwilling to, do what is in their best interest. Romantic love – and institutions of liberty in general – says that people are the best authority over their lives, and that they are more to be trusted to choose their partners than are their parents or anyone else.

Romantic love is one of the greatest accomplishments of Western civilization. It gives people choice as to with whom to partner and with whom to form families. It is one of the most noble things to have come out of the Western civilization, and it is something from which the rest of the world stands to learn.

The baby boomer women were seen by Gen-Xers as having been unrealistic for having believed in love; but love worked out great for many in the World War II generation, and that generation is in no way a failure. Nor were these people irrational. I have known scientists and military people from that generation who made their marriages based on love at first sight and are still going strong when they are in their 80s.

Why am I saying this? Because somebody has to. The anti-love mentality has gotten too big for its merits, and it takes someone who is willing to think things through to confront it. I can reason well enough. I have also been in love a number of times. Once again, the alternative to love is arranged marriages; and that is not an improvement on love, it is a degradation.

So affirming love is affirming the best of the Western civilization. It is affirming a noble tradition that gives people power over their lives and gives them a chance at a life, whatever their relationship with their parents.. It is not better relatively; it is better absolutely. And in upholding this tradition one upholds something that’s right with the Western civilization in the face of powers that want to see it destroyed.

Re: Romantic Love and Arranged Marriages

<4b98dd0b-0fc3-4c89-b4b0-16a9adcd5cban@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=174454&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#174454

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 15:32:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Romantic Love and Arranged Marriages
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 22:32 UTC

On Tuesday, October 11, 2022 at 6:17:14 PM UTC-4, ibsh...@gmail.com wrote:
> There have been many people who militate against romantic love.
>
> The simple fact is that most people will want to have families and children, and this is much better done within the context of a relationship in which people love one another than in the context of a relationship in which they do not.
>
> The alternative to romantic love is arranged marriages. The problem with arranged marriages is that the parents are not their children. Many times they don’t understand or don’t like their children, and they either don’t know how to, or are unwilling to, do what is in their best interest. Romantic love – and institutions of liberty in general – says that people are the best authority over their lives, and that they are more to be trusted to choose their partners than are their parents or anyone else.
>
> Romantic love is one of the greatest accomplishments of Western civilization. It gives people choice as to with whom to partner and with whom to form families. It is one of the most noble things to have come out of the Western civilization, and it is something from which the rest of the world stands to learn.
>
> The baby boomer women were seen by Gen-Xers as having been unrealistic for having believed in love; but love worked out great for many in the World War II generation, and that generation is in no way a failure. Nor were these people irrational. I have known scientists and military people from that generation who made their marriages based on love at first sight and are still going strong when they are in their 80s.
>
> Why am I saying this? Because somebody has to. The anti-love mentality has gotten too big for its merits, and it takes someone who is willing to think things through to confront it. I can reason well enough. I have also been in love a number of times. Once again, the alternative to love is arranged marriages; and that is not an improvement on love, it is a degradation.
>
> So affirming love is affirming the best of the Western civilization. It is affirming a noble tradition that gives people power over their lives and gives them a chance at a life, whatever their relationship with their parents. It is not better relatively; it is better absolutely. And in upholding this tradition one upholds something that’s right with the Western civilization in the face of powers that want to see it destroyed.

SPAMBOT REPORTED

Re: Romantic Love and Arranged Marriages

<d28a7849-b4aa-4265-9256-5b54ed4773dcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=174457&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#174457

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 15:52:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: madeforz...@yahoo.com (Family Guy)
 by: Family Guy - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 22:52 UTC

On Tuesday, October 11, 2022 at 6:17:14 PM UTC-4, ibsh...@gmail.com wrote:
> There have been many people who militate against romantic love.

Are you on drugs?