To err is human; to admit it, a blunder.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: U.S. military too stupid to realize you can bring a balloon down carefully and safely by shooting a few holes in it

SubjectAuthor
* Re: U.S. military too stupid to realize you can bring a balloon downDavid Johnston
+* Re: U.S. military too stupid to realize you can bring a balloon down carefully aBTR1701
|`* Re: U.S. military too stupid to realize you can bring a balloon downsuzeeq
| `- Re: U.S. military too stupid to realize you can bring a balloon downtrotsky
`* Re: U.S. military too stupid to realize you can bring a balloon downjohn
 `- Re: U.S. military too stupid to realize you can bring a balloon downDavid Johnston

1
Re: U.S. military too stupid to realize you can bring a balloon down carefully and safely by shooting a few holes in it

<trpuca$2tp9n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=174452&group=rec.arts.tv#174452

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: U.S. military too stupid to realize you can bring a balloon down
carefully and safely by shooting a few holes in it
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 21:06:33 -0700
 by: David Johnston - Mon, 6 Feb 2023 04:06 UTC

On 2023-02-03 4:24 p.m., RichA wrote:
> This was how they controlled balloon that got out of control in the 1800s. You shoot the balloon with a gun, put a few holes in it, the hot air would slowly leak out allowing (manned) balloons to land safely.

Given that's it's well above the operational height of planes, what
would they be going to shoot it with?

Re: U.S. military too stupid to realize you can bring a balloon down carefully and safely by shooting a few holes in it

<atropos-970E75.20545005022023@kd014101080069.ppp-bb.dion.ne.jp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=174455&group=rec.arts.tv#174455

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: U.S. military too stupid to realize you can bring a balloon down carefully and safely by shooting a few holes in it
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2023 20:54:50 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 6 Feb 2023 04:54 UTC

In article <trpuca$2tp9n$1@dont-email.me>,
David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2023-02-03 4:24 p.m., RichA wrote:
> > This was how they controlled balloon that got out of control in the 1800s.
> > You shoot the balloon with a gun, put a few holes in it, the hot air would
> > slowly leak out allowing (manned) balloons to land safely.
>
> Given that's it's well above the operational height of planes, what
> would they be going to shoot it with?

A plane can go nose up and fire a long-range missile.

Re: U.S. military too stupid to realize you can bring a balloon down carefully and safely by shooting a few holes in it

<fd5d2bf02a9f4a6d79f4f8200045e9c1@hamiltonhall.info>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=174457&group=rec.arts.tv#174457

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
carefully and safely by shooting a few holes in it
From: joh...@hamiltonhall.info (john)
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2023 00:27:37 -0500
 by: john - Mon, 6 Feb 2023 05:27 UTC

In article <trpuca$2tp9n$1@dont-email.me>, davidjohnston29@yahoo.com wrote:
> On 2023-02-03 4:24 p.m., RichA wrote:

>> This was how they controlled balloon that got out of control in the 1800s.
>> You shoot the balloon with a gun, put a few holes in it, the hot air would
>> slowly leak out allowing (manned) balloons to land safely.
>
>Given that's it's well above the operational height of planes

Commercial planes.

>, what would they be going to shoot it with?

Missiles can travel upwards.

Re: U.S. military too stupid to realize you can bring a balloon down carefully and safely by shooting a few holes in it

<trq582$h14p$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=174458&group=rec.arts.tv#174458

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
carefully and safely by shooting a few holes in it
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 22:03:45 -0800
 by: suzeeq - Mon, 6 Feb 2023 06:03 UTC

On 2/5/2023 8:54 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <trpuca$2tp9n$1@dont-email.me>,
> David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2023-02-03 4:24 p.m., RichA wrote:
>>> This was how they controlled balloon that got out of control in the 1800s.
>>> You shoot the balloon with a gun, put a few holes in it, the hot air would
>>> slowly leak out allowing (manned) balloons to land safely.
>>
>> Given that's it's well above the operational height of planes, what
>> would they be going to shoot it with?
>
> A plane can go nose up and fire a long-range missile.

Which they did. Johnston was just pointing out to Rich that you can't
shoot it from the ground.

Re: U.S. military too stupid to realize you can bring a balloon down carefully and safely by shooting a few holes in it

<1r2EL.441667$Tcw8.317934@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=174465&group=rec.arts.tv#174465

carefully and safely by shooting a few holes in it
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 01:58:52 -0600
 by: trotsky - Mon, 6 Feb 2023 07:58 UTC

On 2/6/23 12:03 AM, suzeeq wrote:
> On 2/5/2023 8:54 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>> In article <trpuca$2tp9n$1@dont-email.me>,
>>   David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Given that's it's well above the operational height of planes, what
>>> would they be going to shoot it with?
>>
>> A plane can go nose up and fire a long-range missile.
>>
> Which they did. Johnston was just pointing out to Rich that you can't
> shoot it from the ground.

And Eunuch Derp is just pointing out that he donated his brain to the
Oath Keepers.

Re: U.S. military too stupid to realize you can bring a balloon down carefully and safely by shooting a few holes in it

<trupki$3uast$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=174686&group=rec.arts.tv#174686

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
carefully and safely by shooting a few holes in it
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 17:16:17 -0700
 by: David Johnston - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 00:16 UTC

On 2023-02-05 10:27 p.m., john wrote:
> In article <trpuca$2tp9n$1@dont-email.me>, davidjohnston29@yahoo.com wrote:
>> On 2023-02-03 4:24 p.m., RichA wrote:
>
>>> This was how they controlled balloon that got out of control in the 1800s.
>>> You shoot the balloon with a gun, put a few holes in it, the hot air would
>>> slowly leak out allowing (manned) balloons to land safely.
>>
>> Given that's it's well above the operational height of planes
>
> Commercial planes.
>
>> , what would they be going to shoot it with?
>
> Missiles can travel upwards.

But Rich was talking about bullets. Of course Canada once lost a
weather balloon and planes from several countries shot themselves dry
trying to shoot it down with bullets.