Wisdom is knowing what to do with what you know. -- J. Winter Smith

arts / rec.arts.tv / Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israel

SubjectAuthor
* Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israelchromebook test
+* Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting IsraelBTR1701
|+- Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israelchromebook test
|`* Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting IsraelPluted Pup
| `* Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting IsraelBTR1701
|  +* Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting IsraelEd Stasiak
|  |`* Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting IsraelBTR1701
|  | +- Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israelchromebook test
|  | +- Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycottingtrotsky
|  | `* Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting IsraelPluted Pup
|  |  `* Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting IsraelBTR1701
|  |   `- Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycottingtrotsky
|  `- Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycottingtrotsky
`- Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting IsraelEd Stasiak

1
Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israel

<1d543058-a4c8-4472-ac8e-cdb073633890n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175181&group=rec.arts.tv#175181

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 10:50:25 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israel
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 18:50 UTC

Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israel heard
By Fred Knapp Feb. 10, 2023
https://nebraskapublicmedia.org/en/news/news-articles/ban-on-government-contracts-with-firms-boycotting-israel-heard/

The Nebraska Legislature ventured into international relations today/Friday.. It considered a proposal that would bar Nebraska’s state and local governments from doing business with companies that boycott Israel.

The proposal by Sen. Julie Slama is aimed at combating the boycott, divestment and sanctions, or BDS movement, launched to protest Israel’s treatment of Palestinians. Slama said 34 states have already adopted similar policies.

Jason Jackson, director of the state’s Department of Administrative Services, said he doesn’t know of any company the state does business with that’s currently participating in the BDS movement. But Jackson said he supports putting the prohibition into law.

“When we observe companies attempting to bring negative coercive economic pressure against one of our primary allies, that's obviously at odds with our foreign policy interests. And from the state's perspective, we don't want to be supporting that type of activity,” Jackson said.

Alice Myers of Auburn was among those who spoke in support of the proposal. Myers said the boycott hurts not only Israelis, but Palestinians as well.

“Thousands of Palestinians work in Israel with work permits to provide for their families in the West Bank. BDS threatens these families’ security and source of income,” Myers said.

And Sharon Brodkey of the Jewish Federation of Omaha said tax dollars should not be used to support companies that boycott Israel.

“The commercial boycotts addressed in this bill are a form of national origin discrimination, driven by bigotry and hate. The international BDS movement at its core is antisemitic and does nothing to promote peace. Instead it seeks to cancel Israel,” Brodkey said.

Opposing the measure, Dwight Williams, pastor of the New Life Presbyterian Church in Omaha, denied antisemitism is the intent of the BDS movement.

“Presbyterians do not wish the destruction of the nation of Israel. But we do want ethical behavior and human rights,” Williams said.

Another opponent, Alexia Plummer of Omaha, said boycotts have played an important role in American history, from the Boston Tea Party to the Montgomery bus boycott and the boycott South Africa for its policy of apartheid.

“Boycotts have played a central role in this nation's history. Americans have used boycotts across a range of issues to express their shared convictions,” Plummer said.

Keith Nelson of Omaha was another opponent. He described conditions he saw on a visit to religious sites in Israel.

“Neighborhoods and settlements on Israel-claimed land in Palestine are tense. Pristine neighborhoods, parks, and agricultural fields are guarded by armed Israeli military. Police stop citizens, asking for papers,” Nelson said

The Government, Military and Veterans Affairs Committee took no immediate action on the bill. Slama introduced a similar proposal last year, but the committee did not advance it.

Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israel

<atropos-56C6B8.11323111022023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175189&group=rec.arts.tv#175189

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 11:32:31 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 19:32 UTC

In article <1d543058-a4c8-4472-ac8e-cdb073633890n@googlegroups.com>,
chromebook test <chromiumtest56@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israel heard
> By Fred Knapp Feb. 10, 2023

> https://nebraskapublicmedia.org/en/news/news-articles/ban-on-government-contra
> cts-with-firms-boycotting-israel-heard/
>
> The Nebraska Legislature ventured into international relations today/Friday.
> It considered a proposal that would bar Nebraska’s state and local
> governments from doing business with companies that boycott Israel.

NAACP v. Claiborne Hardware, 458 U.S. 886 (1982), the Supreme Court
ruled that although states have broad power to regulate economic
activities, they cannot prohibit peaceful advocacy of or participation
in a politically motivated boycott.

Which is why both Arizona and Oklahoma's anti-boycott laws were struck
down and nullified. Should Nebraska pass such a law, it will suffer a
similar fate.

Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israel

<64e60fe6-cc3b-4ea0-b7af-0537dc1e52can@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175196&group=rec.arts.tv#175196

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 12:24:46 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 20:24 UTC

On Saturday, February 11, 2023 at 2:31:33 PM UTC-5, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <1d543058-a4c8-4472...@googlegroups.com>,
> chromebook test <chromiu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israel heard
> > By Fred Knapp Feb. 10, 2023
>
> > https://nebraskapublicmedia.org/en/news/news-articles/ban-on-government-contra
> > cts-with-firms-boycotting-israel-heard/
> >
> > The Nebraska Legislature ventured into international relations today/Friday.
> > It considered a proposal that would bar Nebraska’s state and local
> > governments from doing business with companies that boycott Israel.
> NAACP v. Claiborne Hardware, 458 U.S. 886 (1982), the Supreme Court
> ruled that although states have broad power to regulate economic
> activities, they cannot prohibit peaceful advocacy of or participation
> in a politically motivated boycott.

> Which is why both Arizona and Oklahoma's anti-boycott laws were struck
> down and nullified. Should Nebraska pass such a law, it will suffer a
> similar fate.

As Americans who hold the constitution close to heart, let's hope so.

Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israel

<0001HW.299C17E603763A4C30ED2238F@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175480&group=rec.arts.tv#175480

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 11:26:30 -0800
From: pluted...@outlook.com (Pluted Pup)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
 by: Pluted Pup - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 19:26 UTC

On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 11:32:31 -0800, BTR1701 wrote:

> In article<1d543058-a4c8-4472-ac8e-cdb073633890n@googlegroups.com>,
> chromebook test <chromiumtest56@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israel heard
> > By Fred Knapp Feb. 10, 2023
>
> > https://nebraskapublicmedia.org/en/news/news-articles/ban-on-government-contra
> > cts-with-firms-boycotting-israel-heard/
> >
> > The Nebraska Legislature ventured into international relations today/Friday.
> > It considered a proposal that would bar Nebraska´s state and local
> > governments from doing business with companies that boycott Israel.
>
> NAACP v. Claiborne Hardware, 458 U.S. 886 (1982), the Supreme Court
> ruled that although states have broad power to regulate economic
> activities, they cannot prohibit peaceful advocacy of or participation
> in a politically motivated boycott.
>
> Which is why both Arizona and Oklahoma's anti-boycott laws were struck
> down and nullified. Should Nebraska pass such a law, it will suffer a
> similar fate.

Why do you insist that bad laws are harmless? California
has such anti-boycott laws.

Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israel

<atropos-1D2A51.12222214022023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175483&group=rec.arts.tv#175483

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 12:22:22 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 20:22 UTC

In article <0001HW.299C17E603763A4C30ED2238F@news.giganews.com>,
Pluted Pup <plutedpup@outlook.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 11:32:31 -0800, BTR1701 wrote:
>
> > In article<1d543058-a4c8-4472-ac8e-cdb073633890n@googlegroups.com>,
> > chromebook test <chromiumtest56@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israel heard
> > > By Fred Knapp Feb. 10, 2023
> >
> > > https://nebraskapublicmedia.org/en/news/news-articles/ban-on-government-co
> > > ntracts-with-firms-boycotting-israel-heard/
> > >
> > > The Nebraska Legislature ventured into international relations
> > > today/Friday.
> > > It considered a proposal that would bar Nebraska�s state and local
> > > governments from doing business with companies that boycott Israel.
> >
> > NAACP v. Claiborne Hardware, 458 U.S. 886 (1982), the Supreme Court
> > ruled that although states have broad power to regulate economic
> > activities, they cannot prohibit peaceful advocacy of or participation
> > in a politically motivated boycott.
> >
> > Which is why both Arizona and Oklahoma's anti-boycott laws were struck
> > down and nullified. Should Nebraska pass such a law, it will suffer a
> > similar fate.
>
> Why do you insist that bad laws are harmless? California
> has such anti-boycott laws.

And I can walk outside today and announce that I'm boycotting Israel and
there's nothing the state of California can do about it.

Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israel

<2bfb5ffb-a034-46db-9ca4-f7655318bbddn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175487&group=rec.arts.tv#175487

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 12:47:41 -0800 (PST)
From: edstasia...@gmail.com (Ed Stasiak)
 by: Ed Stasiak - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 20:47 UTC

> chromebook test

Since Google Groups appears to be deleting your posts, I'm quoting this in full.

> Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israel heard
> By Fred Knapp Feb. 10, 2023
> https://nebraskapublicmedia.org/en/news/news-articles/ban-on-government-contracts-with-firms-boycotting-israel-heard/
>

> The Nebraska Legislature ventured into international relations today/Friday. It considered a proposal that would bar Nebraska’s state and local governments from doing business with companies that boycott Israel.
>
> The proposal by Sen. Julie Slama is aimed at combating the boycott, divestment and sanctions, or BDS movement, launched to protest Israel’s treatment of Palestinians. Slama said 34 states have already adopted similar policies.
>
> Jason Jackson, director of the state’s Department of Administrative Services, said he doesn’t know of any company the state does business with that’s currently participating in the BDS movement. But Jackson said he supports putting the prohibition into law.
>
> “When we observe companies attempting to bring negative coercive economic pressure against one of our primary allies, that's obviously at odds with our foreign policy interests. And from the state's perspective, we don't want to be supporting that type of activity,” Jackson said.

"one of our primary allies"

lol

> Alice Myers of Auburn was among those who spoke in support of the proposal. Myers said the boycott hurts not only Israelis, but Palestinians as well..
>
> “Thousands of Palestinians work in Israel with work permits to provide for their families in the West Bank. BDS threatens these families’ security and source of income,” Myers said.
>
> And Sharon Brodkey of the Jewish Federation of Omaha said tax dollars should not be used to support companies that boycott Israel.

But giving $4 BILLION of our tax dollars to Israel every year, is perfectly fine...

> “The commercial boycotts addressed in this bill are a form of national origin discrimination, driven by bigotry and hate. The international BDS movement at its core is antisemitic and does nothing to promote peace. Instead it seeks to cancel Israel,” Brodkey said.
>
> Opposing the measure, Dwight Williams, pastor of the New Life Presbyterian Church in Omaha, denied antisemitism is the intent of the BDS movement.
>
> “Presbyterians do not wish the destruction of the nation of Israel. But we do want ethical behavior and human rights,” Williams said..
>
> Another opponent, Alexia Plummer of Omaha, said boycotts have played an important role in American history, from the Boston Tea Party to the Montgomery bus boycott and the boycott South Africa for its policy of apartheid.
>
> “Boycotts have played a central role in this nation's history. Americans have used boycotts across a range of issues to express their shared convictions,” Plummer said.
>
> Keith Nelson of Omaha was another opponent. He described conditions he saw on a visit to religious sites in Israel.
>
> “Neighborhoods and settlements on Israel-claimed land in Palestine are tense. Pristine neighborhoods, parks, and agricultural fields are guarded by armed Israeli military. Police stop citizens, asking for papers,” Nelson said
>
> The Government, Military and Veterans Affairs Committee took no immediate action on the bill. Slama introduced a similar proposal last year, but the committee did not advance it.

Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israel

<824af5bb-4022-45ee-be2f-b45802e8444fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175488&group=rec.arts.tv#175488

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 12:48:54 -0800 (PST)
From: edstasia...@gmail.com (Ed Stasiak)
 by: Ed Stasiak - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 20:48 UTC

> BTR1701
> > Pluted Pup
> >
> > Why do you insist that bad laws are harmless? California
> > has such anti-boycott laws.
>
> And I can walk outside today and announce that I'm boycotting
> Israel and there's nothing the state of California can do about it.

Unless you want to do business with the state, at which point they
pull the plug on you and your only option is to spend years and
bazillions of dollars in legal fees fighting them in court.

Which you can easily afford, right?

Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israel

<SPUGL.539236$gGD7.504941@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175504&group=rec.arts.tv#175504

Subject: Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting
Israel
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 17:29:52 -0600
 by: trotsky - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 23:29 UTC

On 2/14/23 2:22 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <0001HW.299C17E603763A4C30ED2238F@news.giganews.com>,
> Pluted Pup <plutedpup@outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 11:32:31 -0800, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> NAACP v. Claiborne Hardware, 458 U.S. 886 (1982), the Supreme Court
>>> ruled that although states have broad power to regulate economic
>>> activities, they cannot prohibit peaceful advocacy of or participation
>>> in a politically motivated boycott.
>>>
>>> Which is why both Arizona and Oklahoma's anti-boycott laws were struck
>>> down and nullified. Should Nebraska pass such a law, it will suffer a
>>> similar fate.
>>
>> Why do you insist that bad laws are harmless? California
>> has such anti-boycott laws.
>
> And I can walk outside today and announce that I'm boycotting Israel and
> there's nothing the state of California can do about it.

Well anonyshitted!

Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israel

<atropos-9F9005.18190114022023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175514&group=rec.arts.tv#175514

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 18:19:01 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 02:19 UTC

In article <824af5bb-4022-45ee-be2f-b45802e8444fn@googlegroups.com>,
Ed Stasiak <edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:

> > BTR1701
> > > Pluted Pup
> > >
> > > Why do you insist that bad laws are harmless? California
> > > has such anti-boycott laws.
> >
> > And I can walk outside today and announce that I'm boycotting
> > Israel and there's nothing the state of California can do about it.
>
> Unless you want to do business with the state, at which point they
> pull the plug on you and your only option is to spend years and
> bazillions of dollars in legal fees fighting them in court.

What else is there to do when the government violates your rights?

Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israel

<6512a129-c049-4178-9b8d-dbbd5dfef874n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175517&group=rec.arts.tv#175517

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 18:30:10 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 02:30 UTC

On Tuesday, February 14, 2023 at 9:18:15 PM UTC-5, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <824af5bb-4022-45ee...@googlegroups.com>,
> Ed Stasiak <edstas...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > BTR1701

> > > And I can walk outside today and announce that I'm boycotting
> > > Israel and there's nothing the state of California can do about it.

> > Unless you want to do business with the state, at which point they
> > pull the plug on you and your only option is to spend years and
> > bazillions of dollars in legal fees fighting them in court.

> What else is there to do when the government violates your rights?

Arkansas has the option, if a contractor does not want to sign the pledge, they can offer the state a 20% discount on their services.

Think of it as highway robbery or a tea tax. Give me liberty or give me death. At least give me a bowl of Ben & Jerry's ice-cream

tags: The First Amendment is first for a reason. Second Amendment is just in case the first one doesn't work out:

Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israel

<7C2HL.1263959$GNG9.1193895@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175538&group=rec.arts.tv#175538

Israel
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 04:37:54 -0600
 by: trotsky - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 10:37 UTC

On 2/14/23 8:19 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <824af5bb-4022-45ee-be2f-b45802e8444fn@googlegroups.com>,
> Ed Stasiak <edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> BTR1701

>>> And I can walk outside today and announce that I'm boycotting
>>> Israel and there's nothing the state of California can do about it.
>>
>> Unless you want to do business with the state, at which point they
>> pull the plug on you and your only option is to spend years and
>> bazillions of dollars in legal fees fighting them in court.
>
> What else is there to do when the government violates your rights?

Well Oath Keeper'd and shitposted.

Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israel

<0001HW.29A027D303BA379D30699638F@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175775&group=rec.arts.tv#175775

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 13:23:31 -0800
From: pluted...@outlook.com (Pluted Pup)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
 by: Pluted Pup - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 21:23 UTC

On Tue, 14 Feb 2023 18:19:01 -0800, BTR1701 wrote:

> In article<824af5bb-4022-45ee-be2f-b45802e8444fn@googlegroups.com>,
> Ed Stasiak <edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > BTR1701

> > > And I can walk outside today and announce that I'm boycotting
> > > Israel and there's nothing the state of California can do about it.
> >
> > Unless you want to do business with the state, at which point they
> > pull the plug on you and your only option is to spend years and
> > bazillions of dollars in legal fees fighting them in court.
>
> What else is there to do when the government violates your rights?

Your defense of bad laws is that you can always sue?

The courts always dish out justice, you say?

Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israel

<atropos-4873DC.13430417022023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175777&group=rec.arts.tv#175777

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 13:43:05 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 21:43 UTC

In article <0001HW.29A027D303BA379D30699638F@news.giganews.com>,
Pluted Pup <plutedpup@outlook.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Feb 2023 18:19:01 -0800, BTR1701 wrote:

> > > Unless you want to do business with the state, at which point they
> > > pull the plug on you and your only option is to spend years and
> > > bazillions of dollars in legal fees fighting them in court.
> >
> > What else is there to do when the government violates your rights?
>
> Your defense of bad laws is that you can always sue?

What else can you do? You gonna take a gun to the statehouse and start
racking up a body count?

Re: Nebraska - Ban on government contracts with firms boycotting Israel

<a32IL.1020018$vBI8.424840@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175864&group=rec.arts.tv#175864

Israel
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 04:49:42 -0600
 by: trotsky - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 10:49 UTC

On 2/17/23 3:43 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <0001HW.29A027D303BA379D30699638F@news.giganews.com>,
> Pluted Pup <plutedpup@outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 14 Feb 2023 18:19:01 -0800, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> What else is there to do when the government violates your rights?
>>
>> Your defense of bad laws is that you can always sue?
>
> What else can you do? You gonna take a gun to the statehouse and start
> racking up a body count?

I thought you advocated for insurrectionist activity like this.