One is not superior merely because one sees the world as odious. -- Chateaubriand (1768-1848)

arts / rec.music.beatles / Re: Rolling Stones as Beatles substitute

SubjectAuthor
* Rolling Stones as Beatles substituteLaughing Jaw
+* Re: Rolling Stones as Beatles substituteNorbert K
|`- Re: Rolling Stones as Beatles substituteMack A. Damia
`* Re: Rolling Stones as Beatles substitutecurtis...@gmail.com
 `- Re: Rolling Stones as Beatles substitutesuper70s

1
Rolling Stones as Beatles substitute

<45a9ce4c-34ed-4203-969b-0eb88bd18b84n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1746&group=rec.music.beatles#1746

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 22:24:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Rolling Stones as Beatles substitute
From: jawi...@yahoo.com (Laughing Jaw)
 by: Laughing Jaw - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 05:24 UTC

Recently I got into a YouTube conversation on "What if the Beatles didn't happen?"

It seems there is always someone who says the Rolling Stones would have started the British Invasion. That is just total bullshit.

1) George Harrison was the one who recommended them to Decca Records. If that had not happened it may have been a couple of years before the were signed to a record label, (IF they still hung together), if ever.

2) They had no idea about writing songs. They only saw the process when Len/Mac wrote I Wanna Be Your Man for them. And even then they didn't start writing until Andrew Oldham ordered them into a room. Which brings me to #3...

3) A lot of their early success was driven by Andrew Oldham, and that connection would never have been made were in not for the Beatles. Oldham was working for Epstein before he took up with the Stones.

4) Even with all that, their first tour of the United States in 1964 was a non event, and it took until 1965 for them to really break through with "Satisfaction".

Just no fucking way in Hell this group would have started a British Invasion had the Beatles not happened.

Just had to vent.

Re: Rolling Stones as Beatles substitute

<56b2aa05-a1d6-47ba-89c4-51da397763e1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1747&group=rec.music.beatles#1747

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 03:16:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Rolling Stones as Beatles substitute
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 10:16 UTC

On Thursday, July 1, 2021 at 1:24:05 AM UTC-4, Laughing Jaw wrote:
> Recently I got into a YouTube conversation on "What if the Beatles didn't happen?"
>
> It seems there is always someone who says the Rolling Stones would have started the British Invasion. That is just total bullshit.
>
> 1) George Harrison was the one who recommended them to Decca Records. If that had not happened it may have been a couple of years before the were signed to a record label, (IF they still hung together), if ever.
>
> 2) They had no idea about writing songs. They only saw the process when Len/Mac wrote I Wanna Be Your Man for them. And even then they didn't start writing until Andrew Oldham ordered them into a room. Which brings me to #3...
>
> 3) A lot of their early success was driven by Andrew Oldham, and that connection would never have been made were in not for the Beatles. Oldham was working for Epstein before he took up with the Stones.
>
> 4) Even with all that, their first tour of the United States in 1964 was a non event, and it took until 1965 for them to really break through with "Satisfaction".
>
> Just no fucking way in Hell this group would have started a British Invasion had the Beatles not happened.
>
> Just had to vent.

Good points. What it really comes down to is that they didn't have the songwriting and vocal abilities of the Beatles -- AND they didn't have the charisma.

Re: Rolling Stones as Beatles substitute

<jenrdghi3upstnh4g5ir3h7d1t43f6un02@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1748&group=rec.music.beatles#1748

From: drsteerf...@yahoo.com (Mack A. Damia)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 08:28:16 -0700
 by: Mack A. Damia - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 15:28 UTC

On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 03:16:58 -0700 (PDT), Norbert K
<norbertkosky69@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, July 1, 2021 at 1:24:05 AM UTC-4, Laughing Jaw wrote:
>> Recently I got into a YouTube conversation on "What if the Beatles didn't happen?"
>>
>> It seems there is always someone who says the Rolling Stones would have started the British Invasion. That is just total bullshit.
>>
>> 1) George Harrison was the one who recommended them to Decca Records. If that had not happened it may have been a couple of years before the were signed to a record label, (IF they still hung together), if ever.
>>
>> 2) They had no idea about writing songs. They only saw the process when Len/Mac wrote I Wanna Be Your Man for them. And even then they didn't start writing until Andrew Oldham ordered them into a room. Which brings me to #3...
>>
>> 3) A lot of their early success was driven by Andrew Oldham, and that connection would never have been made were in not for the Beatles. Oldham was working for Epstein before he took up with the Stones.
>>
>> 4) Even with all that, their first tour of the United States in 1964 was a non event, and it took until 1965 for them to really break through with "Satisfaction".
>>
>> Just no fucking way in Hell this group would have started a British Invasion had the Beatles not happened.
>>
>> Just had to vent.
>
>Good points. What it really comes down to is that they didn't have the songwriting and vocal abilities of the Beatles -- AND they didn't have the charisma.

There is a trivia question:

What is unique about January 18, 1964?

(Answer) The Beatles hit, "I Want to Hold Your Hand", entered the
Billboard 100 Chart at number 45 thus starting the British Invasion of
the American music industry.

Re: Rolling Stones as Beatles substitute

<5b70678b-4e48-4d96-afd3-c2b585aec25cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1750&group=rec.music.beatles#1750

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 09:51:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: curtissd...@gmail.com (curtis...@gmail.com)
 by: curtis...@gmail.com - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 16:51 UTC

On Thursday, July 1, 2021 at 1:24:05 AM UTC-4, Laughing Jaw wrote:
> Recently I got into a YouTube conversation on "What if the Beatles didn't happen?"
>
> It seems there is always someone who says the Rolling Stones would have started the British Invasion. That is just total bullshit.
>
> 1) George Harrison was the one who recommended them to Decca Records. If that had not happened it may have been a couple of years before the were signed to a record label, (IF they still hung together), if ever.
>
> 2) They had no idea about writing songs. They only saw the process when Len/Mac wrote I Wanna Be Your Man for them. And even then they didn't start writing until Andrew Oldham ordered them into a room. Which brings me to #3...
>
> 3) A lot of their early success was driven by Andrew Oldham, and that connection would never have been made were in not for the Beatles. Oldham was working for Epstein before he took up with the Stones.
>
> 4) Even with all that, their first tour of the United States in 1964 was a non event, and it took until 1965 for them to really break through with "Satisfaction".
>
> Just no fucking way in Hell this group would have started a British Invasion had the Beatles not happened.
>
> Just had to vent.

There would have been no "Their Satanic Majesty's Request" without the Beatles, no doubt about that.

Re: Rolling Stones as Beatles substitute

<super70s-2ACAE4.15541802072021@reader02.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1752&group=rec.music.beatles#1752

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2021 15:54:18 -0500
 by: super70s - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 20:54 UTC

In article <5b70678b-4e48-4d96-afd3-c2b585aec25cn@googlegroups.com>,
"curtis...@gmail.com" <curtissdubois@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, July 1, 2021 at 1:24:05 AM UTC-4, Laughing Jaw wrote:
> > Recently I got into a YouTube conversation on "What if the Beatles didn't
> > happen?"
> >
> > It seems there is always someone who says the Rolling Stones would have
> > started the British Invasion. That is just total bullshit.
> >
> > 1) George Harrison was the one who recommended them to Decca Records. If
> > that had not happened it may have been a couple of years before the were
> > signed to a record label, (IF they still hung together), if ever.
> >
> > 2) They had no idea about writing songs. They only saw the process when
> > Len/Mac wrote I Wanna Be Your Man for them. And even then they didn't start
> > writing until Andrew Oldham ordered them into a room. Which brings me to
> > #3...
> >
> > 3) A lot of their early success was driven by Andrew Oldham, and that
> > connection would never have been made were in not for the Beatles. Oldham
> > was working for Epstein before he took up with the Stones.
> >
> > 4) Even with all that, their first tour of the United States in 1964 was a
> > non event, and it took until 1965 for them to really break through with
> > "Satisfaction".
> >
> > Just no fucking way in Hell this group would have started a British
> > Invasion had the Beatles not happened.
> >
> > Just had to vent.
>
> There would have been no "Their Satanic Majesty's Request" without the
> Beatles, no doubt about that.

Unlike the Beatles I was never motivated to buy any early Stones LP's
(though a single or two). Hot Rocks Vol. 1 and later Vol. 2 sufficed for
me, the first Stones LP proper I ever bought was Sticky Fingers.