Machines have less problems. I'd like to be a machine. -- Andy Warhol

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2023-02-11 (Saturday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-02-11 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-11 (Saturday)Adam H. Kerman
 +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-11 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
 |+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-11 (Saturday)A Friend
 ||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-11 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
 |+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-11 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
 |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-11 (Saturday)Dimensional Traveler
 | +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-11 (Saturday)Adam H. Kerman
 | `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-11 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
 `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-11 (Saturday)anim8rfsk

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-02-11 (Saturday)

<tsb6n9$1qv8e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175279&group=rec.arts.tv#175279

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-11 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 09:13:13 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 17:13 UTC

Yesterday, I got the new OLED television.

Late morning, my brother comes over. He's rented a truck, so I can
finally take some stuff (like my very old roller "TV stand") to
Goodwill first - I'm already feeling better! Then we run an errand for
him, and he, his g.f. and I eat lunch. Then we go to Best Buy to pick
up the TV (which I pre-ordered).

My brother insists on getting a soundbar for me, which comes with a
speaker - my place is small, and I'm quite sure the speaker is
overkill! But the soundbar comes with the speaker!! I also pick up some
extra HDMI cords.

For those wondering, I got an LG 55" Class C2, as it has 4 HDMI ports
instead of just 2 as with the A2 class.

This TV is so good that I can actually read the scrunched-up
end-credits of Lifetime movies!! which I could not with my previous
smaller flatscreen. (Unfortunately, there appears to be no way to
screenshot the TV screen itself, and even if you could, I don't think
you can get the image off the TV!)

There were very few (useful) instructions - We had to figure out how to
put together the TV with its stand ourselves. Also, it seemed like the
soundbar would not work via HDMI cord with the TV - I stumbled on how
to get it working, quite by accident, hours later. Useful instructions
for stuff like this is important!!

After getting the TV, and setting it (and my new 4K Apple TV box) up,
I/we variously watched:

golf - Day 3 at the Phoenix Open. Looks great on the new TV! So good, I
didn't pay much attention to the leaderboard!

NBA basketball - Lakers at Golden State. Of course, neither Steph Curry
or LeBron James played. And, of course, Golden State threw it away at
the end!

The Girl Who Escaped: The Kara Robinson Story (Lifetime) - This was
actually pretty good. But Katie Douglas has now done two movies like
this (where her character is basically kidnapped and raped by a serial
killer, and escapes and then helps the cops catch the perp), so she's
in danger of being typecast!!

What did you watch? (on your *old* TV! Ha!!)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-11 (Saturday)

<tsb9jl$1r8ql$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175286&group=rec.arts.tv#175286

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-11 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 18:02:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 18:02 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>Yesterday, I got the new OLED television.

>Late morning, my brother comes over. He's rented a truck, so I can
>finally take some stuff (like my very old roller "TV stand") to
>Goodwill first - I'm already feeling better! Then we run an errand for
>him, and he, his g.f. and I eat lunch. Then we go to Best Buy to pick
>up the TV (which I pre-ordered).

>My brother insists on getting a soundbar for me, which comes with a
>speaker - my place is small, and I'm quite sure the speaker is
>overkill! But the soundbar comes with the speaker!! I also pick up some
>extra HDMI cords.

>For those wondering, I got an LG 55" Class C2, as it has 4 HDMI ports
>instead of just 2 as with the A2 class.

>This TV is so good that I can actually read the scrunched-up
>end-credits of Lifetime movies!! which I could not with my previous
>smaller flatscreen. (Unfortunately, there appears to be no way to
>screenshot the TV screen itself, and even if you could, I don't think
>you can get the image off the TV!)

>There were very few (useful) instructions - We had to figure out how to
>put together the TV with its stand ourselves. Also, it seemed like the
>soundbar would not work via HDMI cord with the TV - I stumbled on how
>to get it working, quite by accident, hours later. Useful instructions
>for stuff like this is important!!

That's quite common. I used to have things set up so that video and
audio were on separate paths. I had to switch audio input separately on
the stereo. But now i have two choices on that: Because the tv which I
think is almost 2 decades old has multiple HDMI ports plus component and
composite video AND VGA AND stereo inputs, I can perform all the input
switching within the tv. I don't use the built-in speakers and I output
audio from the tv to the stereo. The other choice, which I'm not using,
is to do switching for both video and audio in the stereo. The stereo
can merely route the video signal.

Yeah, it's a lot easier to watch tv when video and audio are both from
the same input source!

I couldn't recall how I set it up so I looked: I've got digital optical
audio output from the tv, which provides input to the stereo.

>After getting the TV, and setting it (and my new 4K Apple TV box) up,
>I/we variously watched:

>golf - Day 3 at the Phoenix Open. Looks great on the new TV! So good, I
>didn't pay much attention to the leaderboard!

With your new tv, did they miss fewer chips?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-11 (Saturday)

<tsbl19$1sgnb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175294&group=rec.arts.tv#175294

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 12:15:19 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 20:15 UTC

On 2/12/2023 10:02 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Yesterday, I got the new OLED television.
>
>> Late morning, my brother comes over. He's rented a truck, so I can
>> finally take some stuff (like my very old roller "TV stand") to
>> Goodwill first - I'm already feeling better! Then we run an errand for
>> him, and he, his g.f. and I eat lunch. Then we go to Best Buy to pick
>> up the TV (which I pre-ordered).
>
>> My brother insists on getting a soundbar for me, which comes with a
>> speaker - my place is small, and I'm quite sure the speaker is
>> overkill! But the soundbar comes with the speaker!! I also pick up some
>> extra HDMI cords.
>
>> For those wondering, I got an LG 55" Class C2, as it has 4 HDMI ports
>> instead of just 2 as with the A2 class.
>
>> This TV is so good that I can actually read the scrunched-up
>> end-credits of Lifetime movies!! which I could not with my previous
>> smaller flatscreen. (Unfortunately, there appears to be no way to
>> screenshot the TV screen itself, and even if you could, I don't think
>> you can get the image off the TV!)
>
>> There were very few (useful) instructions

Right after I got my TV I was having issues with it and discovered the
TV tech support could remotely log into my TV, control it, and walk me
through setting it up and fixing issues with it. I don't know if I
should be impressed or terrified at that prospect, but your TV might
have a similar option.

- We had to figure out how to
>> put together the TV with its stand ourselves. Also, it seemed like the
>> soundbar would not work via HDMI cord with the TV - I stumbled on how
>> to get it working, quite by accident, hours later. Useful instructions
>> for stuff like this is important!!
>
> That's quite common. I used to have things set up so that video and
> audio were on separate paths. I had to switch audio input separately on
> the stereo. But now i have two choices on that: Because the tv which I
> think is almost 2 decades old has multiple HDMI ports plus component and
> composite video AND VGA AND stereo inputs, I can perform all the input
> switching within the tv. I don't use the built-in speakers and I output
> audio from the tv to the stereo.

Same. I don't think I've used TV speakers for audio in at least a
couple of decades, probably a lot more. Because I know even when I was
in college I had already begin to setup surround sound systems. I think
5.1 sound came out right after I discovered (and was amazed by) stereo
sound, and I never looked back! LOL

The other choice, which I'm not using,
> is to do switching for both video and audio in the stereo. The stereo
> can merely route the video signal.
>
> Yeah, it's a lot easier to watch tv when video and audio are both from
> the same input source!
>
> I couldn't recall how I set it up so I looked: I've got digital optical
> audio output from the tv, which provides input to the stereo.
>
>> After getting the TV, and setting it (and my new 4K Apple TV box) up,
>> I/we variously watched:
>
>> golf - Day 3 at the Phoenix Open. Looks great on the new TV! So good, I
>> didn't pay much attention to the leaderboard!
>
> With your new tv, did they miss fewer chips?

I watched:

Penn & Teller: Fool Us - "Full Frontal Magic" - This episode featured a
magician who did a very simply card trick. He put a randomly selected
card in a glass and set it on a table. He then had a person on a
monitor (celebrity cameo) call out a random card. He then revealed the
card in the glass to be that same card that was randomly called out.
Very basic trick with no flashy gimmicks. Except I have no idea how he
did it, and neither did P&T. They had a guess, but their guess was
wrong. So many magicians come out and do really fancy tricks that P&T
see right through, but something as simple as "pick a card, any card"
and no idea how it was done!

Doom Patrol (HBOMax) "Youth Patrol" - Rita accidentally unleashes a
curse that causes the team to age in reverse.

"Hope Patrol" - Mid season finale. A lot happened, but I'm not sure
what happened. That's Doom Patrol for you.

Room 104 (HBO) - "No Hospital" - I'm burning off the last few episodes
on my DVR. Season 3, episode 8 from 2019. This episode starred Tony
Plana as a dying man with supernatural abilities who tries to recruit
his reluctant daughter to team up with him and battle her evil brother
who also has abilities. This was an interesting one.

"Prank Call" Season 3, episode 9 from 2019. A bratty teenage girl makes
prank calls until one goes too far. Lots of twists and turns crammed
into 23 minutes. This was a good one.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-11 (Saturday)

<120220231654493638%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175298&group=rec.arts.tv#175298

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 16:54:49 -0500
 by: A Friend - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 21:54 UTC

In article <tsbl19$1sgnb$1@dont-email.me>, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> Doom Patrol (HBOMax) "Youth Patrol" - Rita accidentally unleashes a
> curse that causes the team to age in reverse.

Send her here. Forty years ought to do it.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-11 (Saturday)

<tsbq9b$1t2pe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175301&group=rec.arts.tv#175301

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 14:47:06 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 22:47 UTC

On 2/12/2023 1:54 PM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <tsbl19$1sgnb$1@dont-email.me>, Arthur Lipscomb
> <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> Doom Patrol (HBOMax) "Youth Patrol" - Rita accidentally unleashes a
>> curse that causes the team to age in reverse.
>

> Send her here. Forty years ought to do it.

Doesn't work that way. It's a *curse*. For most of the curse you
wouldn't even look younger. You'd just *act* infantile, then revert to
being a young child, then revert to being a baby, then nothing. Rita
really shouldn't have ignored the *multiple* warnings she had to get
through in order to cast it. I probably shouldn't have said
accidentally. She really did have to ignore multiple warnings!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-11 (Saturday)

<tsbsvi$1tgaj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175314&group=rec.arts.tv#175314

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 15:33:06 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 23:33 UTC

On 2023-02-12 20:15:19 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> On 2/12/2023 10:02 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Yesterday, I got the new OLED television.
>>
>>> Late morning, my brother comes over. He's rented a truck, so I can
>>> finally take some stuff (like my very old roller "TV stand") to
>>> Goodwill first - I'm already feeling better! Then we run an errand for
>>> him, and he, his g.f. and I eat lunch. Then we go to Best Buy to pick
>>> up the TV (which I pre-ordered).
>>
>>> My brother insists on getting a soundbar for me, which comes with a
>>> speaker - my place is small, and I'm quite sure the speaker is
>>> overkill! But the soundbar comes with the speaker!! I also pick up some
>>> extra HDMI cords.
>>
>>> For those wondering, I got an LG 55" Class C2, as it has 4 HDMI ports
>>> instead of just 2 as with the A2 class.
>>
>>> This TV is so good that I can actually read the scrunched-up
>>> end-credits of Lifetime movies!! which I could not with my previous
>>> smaller flatscreen. (Unfortunately, there appears to be no way to
>>> screenshot the TV screen itself, and even if you could, I don't think
>>> you can get the image off the TV!)
>>
>>> There were very few (useful) instructions
>
> Right after I got my TV I was having issues with it and discovered the
> TV tech support could remotely log into my TV, control it, and walk me
> through setting it up and fixing issues with it. I don't know if I
> should be impressed or terrified at that prospect, but your TV might
> have a similar option.

It's pretty fancy, and they made me sign up for a LG account, so I
suspect they totally could do that if I was interested.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-11 (Saturday)

<tsckr0$22l09$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175328&group=rec.arts.tv#175328

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 22:20:24 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 06:20 UTC

On 2/12/2023 12:15 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 2/12/2023 10:02 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Yesterday, I got the new OLED television.
>>
>>> Late morning, my brother comes over. He's rented a truck, so I can
>>> finally take some stuff (like my very old roller "TV stand") to
>>> Goodwill first - I'm already feeling better! Then we run an errand for
>>> him, and he, his g.f. and I eat lunch. Then we go to Best Buy to pick
>>> up the TV (which I pre-ordered).
>>
>>> My brother insists on getting a soundbar for me, which comes with a
>>> speaker - my place is small, and I'm quite sure the speaker is
>>> overkill! But the soundbar comes with the speaker!! I also pick up some
>>> extra HDMI cords.
>>
>>> For those wondering, I got an LG 55" Class C2, as it has 4 HDMI ports
>>> instead of just 2 as with the A2 class.
>>
>>> This TV is so good that I can actually read the scrunched-up
>>> end-credits of Lifetime movies!! which I could not with my previous
>>> smaller flatscreen. (Unfortunately, there appears to be no way to
>>> screenshot the TV screen itself, and even if you could, I don't think
>>> you can get the image off the TV!)
>>
>>> There were very few (useful) instructions
>
> Right after I got my TV I was having issues with it and discovered the
> TV tech support could remotely log into my TV, control it, and walk me
> through setting it up and fixing issues with it.  I don't know if I
> should be impressed or terrified at that prospect, but your TV might
> have a similar option.

There's a reason I will never hook my TV up to the Internet....

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-11 (Saturday)

<tsco5b$232im$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175330&group=rec.arts.tv#175330

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 07:16:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 07:16 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 2/12/2023 12:15 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:

>>Right after I got my TV I was having issues with it and discovered the
>>TV tech support could remotely log into my TV, control it, and walk me
>>through setting it up and fixing issues with it.  I don't know if I
>>should be impressed or terrified at that prospect, but your TV might
>>have a similar option.

>There's a reason I will never hook my TV up to the Internet....

Skynet isn't asking your permission to acquire your devices.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-11 (Saturday)

<1182364203.697966282.353547.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175331&group=rec.arts.tv#175331

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 00:44:50 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 07:44 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 2/12/2023 12:15 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:

>> Right after I got my TV I was having issues with it and discovered the
>> TV tech support could remotely log into my TV, control it, and walk me
>> through setting it up and fixing issues with it.  I don't know if I
>> should be impressed or terrified at that prospect, but your TV might
>> have a similar option.
>>
> There's a reason I will never hook my TV up to the Internet....

10 years ago (yikes!) when I got my plasma, people were concerned about the
newfangled trend of putting WebCams in your TVs. I have one and I’ve never
used it and I’m not sure to this day what I’d use it for. But the one in
the plasma actually goes down into a little pocket in the top of the set
and when you activate it, it pops up out of the set and has a light. I
suppose they might be able to secretly activate it from a remote location
and not pop it up, but all you’d get would be audio. Even if they disabled
the light I’d notice it popping up out of the top. And if I was really
scared of it, I’d put a piece of heavy duty tape over the hole in the set
and it wouldn’t be going anywhere.

I wonder if there’s someway to use it to watch Ian watching TV and vice
versa?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-11 (Saturday)

<1328974130.697966798.344111.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175332&group=rec.arts.tv#175332

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 00:44:51 -0700

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Yesterday, I got the new OLED television.
>
>> Late morning, my brother comes over. He's rented a truck, so I can
>> finally take some stuff (like my very old roller "TV stand") to
>> Goodwill first - I'm already feeling better! Then we run an errand for
>> him, and he, his g.f. and I eat lunch. Then we go to Best Buy to pick
>> up the TV (which I pre-ordered).
>
>> My brother insists on getting a soundbar for me, which comes with a
>> speaker - my place is small, and I'm quite sure the speaker is
>> overkill! But the soundbar comes with the speaker!! I also pick up some
>> extra HDMI cords.
>
>> For those wondering, I got an LG 55" Class C2, as it has 4 HDMI ports
>> instead of just 2 as with the A2 class.
>
>> This TV is so good that I can actually read the scrunched-up
>> end-credits of Lifetime movies!! which I could not with my previous
>> smaller flatscreen. (Unfortunately, there appears to be no way to
>> screenshot the TV screen itself, and even if you could, I don't think
>> you can get the image off the TV!)
>
>> There were very few (useful) instructions - We had to figure out how to
>> put together the TV with its stand ourselves. Also, it seemed like the
>> soundbar would not work via HDMI cord with the TV - I stumbled on how
>> to get it working, quite by accident, hours later. Useful instructions
>> for stuff like this is important!!
>
> That's quite common. I used to have things set up so that video and
> audio were on separate paths. I had to switch audio input separately on
> the stereo. But now i have two choices on that: Because the tv which I
> think is almost 2 decades old has multiple HDMI ports plus component and
> composite video AND VGA AND stereo inputs, I can perform all the input
> switching within the tv. I don't use the built-in speakers and I output
> audio from the tv to the stereo. The other choice, which I'm not using,
> is to do switching for both video and audio in the stereo. The stereo
> can merely route the video signal.

I can use my remote controls to switch the plasma from my 5.1 surround
sound set up to the internal TV speakers. Of course I almost never do the
latter, although sometimes after a power failure it will end up being that
way. The only real use I find for the internal speakers, other than that I
would have something if other components failed, is that it’s better for
listening to something like a news broadcast which is just people talking
and benefits from a less complex sound mix.

The next model up, the top end model, didn’t have internal speakers at all,
and had infinite black picture instead of ultimate black picture (or
possibly the other way around), and was several hundred dollars more. I
figured I was better with this one. :-)