I go on working for the same reason a hen goes on laying eggs. -- H. L. Mencken

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2023-02-12 (Sunday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-02-12 (Sunday)Ubiquitous
+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-12 (Sunday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-12 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-12 (Sunday)Adam H. Kerman
||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-12 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-12 (Sunday)Ubiquitous
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-12 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
|  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-12 (Sunday)Ubiquitous
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-12 (Sunday)Ian J. Ball
 `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-12 (Sunday)Ubiquitous

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-02-12 (Sunday)

<UBI20230212@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175347&group=rec.arts.tv#175347

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-12 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 04:30:40 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 09:30 UTC

On Superb Owl Sunday, I watched:

WE ARE THE 80'S

WE ARE THE 80'S

WE ARE THE 80'S

WE ARE THE 80'S

MYSTERIES OF THE UNIVERSE: OUR SOLAR SYSTEM:
"Mission To The Sun". A team of scientists has launched a space probe to the
heart of the solar system in a brand-new mission to the Sun.

MYSTERIES OF THE UNIVERSE: OUR SOLAR SYSTEM:
"Venus: Earth's Alien Twin". Venus is a hellish alien world believed to be
impossible to extraterrestrial life; but new discoveries reveal shocking
evidence within its deadly atmosphere and on its strange surface, all
pointing to a possible future for planet Earth.

THE LOVE BOAT:
Happy Valentine's Day!
� "Computerman". Captain Stubing expositions to the crew that this is
their annual Valentine's Day cruise, full of single passengers looking
for love. How is this different from the rest of the year? Anyhow, Julie
announces that she hired a computer dating service to hook up the
passengers this year, just as he arrives with his hopelessly
antique-looking desktop thru the passenger entrance via a big cart and
immediately starts sleazily trying to make the moves on Julie, who
rebuffs his efforts. Later, on the Lido Deck, the matchmaking begins and
the sleazy guy starts to pair people off, including Julie, much to her
surprise, to the matchmaker. Unfortunately, no matches are found for
Captain Stubing, which is weird because it seems to imply that the
computer only matched up six or eight passengers and the ASCII computer
graphic went through a LOT of names while looking for the Captain's
match. For the rest of the cruise, the pairs seem to be doing fine, save
for Julie and hers. OK, he was willing but she was just being a bitch
about it. Eventually, the paired-up passengers fail, each accompanied by
a stupid ASCII computer graphic. Meanwhile, Julie has a change of heart
and discovers they have a connection. Unfortunately, their night in his
cabin (why was his cabin personalized? I thought it was Julie's at
first) is interrupted by the angry dissatisfied couples his computer
matched up earlier. How they got his room number is anyone's guess (OK,
maybe not THAT much, given previous eps), but what exactly are they
expecting him to do about it? At the end of the cruise, as the
passengers disembark, we discover the couples are back together again,
or maybe they all switched partners, and the sleazy guy admits to having
"fixed" his computer to pair him with Julie b/c he fell in love with her
on first sight. So I guess they're going to date now?
� "Parlez-Vous?". Two women pretend to be French and not understand
English in order to get husbands. I have no clue how or why this would
work, but the one hooks up with a man whose roommate is "Bill Nye the
Science Guy" and the other falls in love with Gopher. Eventually, the
one with Gopher gets tired of his embarrassingly bad French and spills
the beans, which he takes surprisingly well. The other one, however,
recants his offer to buy her an engagement ring.
� "Memories of You". Patti Duke is convinced a male passenger is her
husband who mysteriously vanished, but when she confronts him abut it,
he denies it. I think she made it up to get Doctor Bricker from
constantly hitting on her. Eventually, he opens up to the possibility
that the stress of writing commercial jingles together caused him to get
amnesia so she decides to get married to him and move to a more idyllic
rural residence.

MST3K:
"Humanoid Woman". This interminable and muddled Sandy Frank Czechoslovakian
movie from their first season was about an amnesiac alien woman with
telekinesis powers who learns about her past and leads an expedition back to
her home planet.

ALL IN THE FAMILY:
"Mike's Hippie Friends Come To Visit". Archie vehemently objects when Mike's
friends, an unmarried couple, plan to share a sleeping bag in the Bunkers'
living room. This one was hoplessly dated, plus I found myself siding with
Archie, which I don't think was intended. Firstly, Mike and Gloria invited
their friend over but didn't bother to tell their parents before he was at
the front door. Secondly, their friend didn't tell them about his shack-up
honey also spending the night until she walked in. Did I mention his shack-up
honey was a passive-agressive bitch for refused to speak? Thirdly, the couple
refused to accomadate Archie by having the woman sleep in Gloria's room and
Mike and his friend sleep in the living room, making some ridiculous claims
about "principles".

ALL IN THE FAMILY:
"Lionel Moves Into The Neighborhood". The news that a black family is moving
onto the block upsets Archie, who tries to stop their impending arrival. Hey,
it's the Jeffersons! This ep didn't seem so dated, save for the open
antisemitism from Archie and the man who sold the house, who seemed kinda
Jewish to me. I remember as a child people talking about blacks bringing down
the value of neighborhoods, so that was a bit weird. We only saw Louise, who
Archive mistook for a housecleaner, and Lionel, who the Bunkers already knew.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-12 (Sunday)

<tsdkib$26493$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175361&group=rec.arts.tv#175361

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-12 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 10:21:47 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 15:21 UTC

In article <tsdem2$25kgn$1@dont-email.me>, IJBall@mac.invalid wrote:
> On 2023-02-12 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

>> What did you watch?
>
>The Superbowl - Well, you can't say this didn't delover an enjoyable,
>close game!!

Did M&M's debut a new commercial?

I am assuming they brought back the cartoon chars and announced that peanut
M&M has become trans and had his nut removed.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-12 (Sunday)

<1476425015.698000242.607385.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175366&group=rec.arts.tv#175366

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 10:21:40 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 17:21 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> On Superb Owl Sunday, I watched:
>

> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

MISS SCARLET AND THE BEEF (PBS)
Series 3 finale, I guess. Last week they numbered the episode as number
four. This week was number six. I have no idea if they skipped one or just
got the numbers wrong or what.

Anyway, this made no sense whatsoever, which they acknowledged at the end
when Miss Scarlet asked the beef what the hell happened and he said maybe
they could figure out why the bad guy did what he did once they finish
beating the hell out of him.

Even the title of the episode made no sense.

IT’S BURKE’S LAW! S01E11 “Who Killed Purity Mather?”
Written by Harlan Ellison! Introducing Maryann Mobley, as “sugar“!
A cast of wackos, psychics, vampires, and who knows what a funnel, our
favorite millionaire Detective.

MATT HOUSTON episode one which turns out to just be something from the
middle of another season. Still wasn’t any good.

HAWAIIAN EYE Episodes three and four.
Robert Conrad finally gets something to do!

STAGECOACH WEST S01E35 “the guardian angels”
I think the episode description that came with it will suffice:
“four pathetic and socially useless passengers face savage death and
torture“

For some reason, the DVR switched over to Balance TV and showed some thing
about Martin Luther King. They were supposed to be marching, I assume on
Alabama, but they obviously couldn’t hold focus on them since they were
doing really long shot close-ups of their faces, so, instead of actually
walking, they were all pretending to walk in place and it was so inept I
was just laughing hysterically.

Then it bounced over to “1 angry black man” which was apparently people in
college arguing. Extremely woke people arguing in college about how the
other people can’t be as woke as the first one was. I think it was meant to
be taken seriously at face value, but the characters were so, ludicrous it
was also just something to laugh at.

I found that the Amazon prime has THE AVENGERS, the 1960s TV series,
including several seasons from before Mrs. Peel was needed. They also have
the 1960s LOST IN SPACE in 4:3, although not the original pilot. Both good
things to fall asleep to.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-12 (Sunday)

<tsdvni$273cb$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175369&group=rec.arts.tv#175369

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 18:32:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 18:32 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>. . .

>I found that the Amazon prime has THE AVENGERS, the 1960s TV series,
>including several seasons from before Mrs. Peel was needed.

The problem is the loss of the 1961 episodes. Has anything else turned
up from first season? There's like one episode that looks awful.

As far as I know, all of the episodes fall 1962 and later weren't lost,
including the Tara King episodes that should have been transferred to
nitrate film stock.

>They also have the 1960s LOST IN SPACE in 4:3, although not the original
>pilot. Both good things to fall asleep to.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-12 (Sunday)

<tse42u$27pkm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175384&group=rec.arts.tv#175384

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 11:46:38 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 19:46 UTC

On 2023-02-13 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

I'll repost this here too...:

Yesterday? Pretty much just sports. Though I did have LMN on in the
background in the morning - it's amazing how good 30 year old TV movies
look on the new TV!! ;)

Phoenix Open - For most of the final day, Canadian Nick Taylor (not
from Duran Duran!!) was just one back of leader Scottie Scheffler.
Unfortunately, Taylor bogeyed the 16th hole (I think) and Scheffler
birdied the 17th, so a 3-stroke lead meant it was pretty much over at
that point. (Taylor partly redeemed himself by birdieing the final
hole.)
Anyway, Scheffler wins the Phoenix Open for the second year in a row.
Oddly, the purse for this tournament has *more than doubled* since
last year! so Scheffler won more than twice as much ca$h as he did in
2022!

The Superbowl - Well, you can't say this didn't deliver an enjoyable,
close game!!
With the new TV, and the way the game was filmed, it felt like you
were pretty much right there on the field with the players.
We actually went out to dinner with about 2 minutes left to go, but
to a place just across the street, and they had the game on so we got
to see the end.
Rhianna's show was visually interesting (did the dancers on the
platforms get extra hazard pay?!!), but musically I thought it was
weak... She didn't even include "Shut Up and Drive"!!

I have work (early) today, so I put LMN back on as background noise
after the game was over and my brother left - my older smaller
flatscreem is now in my bedroom. It's running off just my old Apple TV
box, but with the Spectrum app, I can still access my cable lineup, so
I can now watch cable TV in me bedroom too. So I left that on for a
little while before going to bed, at a relatively early hour...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-12 (Sunday)

<1787438775.698012313.910305.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175388&group=rec.arts.tv#175388

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 13:25:46 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 20:25 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> . . .
>
>> I found that the Amazon prime has THE AVENGERS, the 1960s TV series,
>> including several seasons from before Mrs. Peel was needed.
>
> The problem is the loss of the 1961 episodes. Has anything else turned
> up from first season? There's like one episode that looks awful.
>
> As far as I know, all of the episodes fall 1962 and later weren't lost,
> including the Tara King episodes that should have been transferred to
> nitrate film stock.

From your mouth to the fire God’s ear.

>> They also have the 1960s LOST IN SPACE in 4:3, although not the original
>> pilot. Both good things to fall asleep to.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-12 (Sunday)

<tsg378$2hp1m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175443&group=rec.arts.tv#175443

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Supersedes: <tsdkib$26493$3@dont-email.me>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 08:43:43 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 13:43 UTC

In article <tsdem2$25kgn$1@dont-email.me>, IJBall@mac.invalid wrote:
> On 2023-02-12 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

>> What did you watch?
>
>The Superbowl - Well, you can't say this didn't delover an enjoyable,
>close game!!

Did M&M's debut a new commercial?

I am assuming they brought back the cartoon chars and announced that peanut
M&M has become trans and had his nut removed.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-12 (Sunday)

<tsg3eb$2hp1m$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175445&group=rec.arts.tv#175445

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 08:47:55 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 13:47 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>> On Superb Owl Sunday, I watched:
>>
>> What did you watch?
>
>Hey, thanks for asking!
>
>MISS SCARLET AND THE BEEF (PBS)
>Series 3 finale, I guess. Last week they numbered the episode as number
>four. This week was number six. I have no idea if they skipped one or just
>got the numbers wrong or what.

Sounds like a porno movie to me.

>For some reason, the DVR switched over to Bounce TV and showed some thing
>about Martin Luther King. They were supposed to be marching, I assume on
>Alabama, but they obviously couldn't hold focus on them since they were
>doing really long shot close-ups of their faces, so, instead of actually
>walking, they were all pretending to walk in place and it was so inept I
>was just laughing hysterically.

You would think Bounce could find a way to do that correctly.

>I found that the Amazon prime has THE AVENGERS, the 1960s TV series,
>including several seasons from before Mrs. Peel was needed.

BEFORE Emma Peel?
Don't make me Troll-O-Meter you, bro! ;-)

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-12 (Sunday)

<1953844751.698079052.171963.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175457&group=rec.arts.tv#175457

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 08:15:15 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 15:15 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>>> On Superb Owl Sunday, I watched:
>>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> MISS SCARLET AND THE BEEF (PBS)
>> Series 3 finale, I guess. Last week they numbered the episode as number
>> four. This week was number six. I have no idea if they skipped one or just
>> got the numbers wrong or what.
>
> Sounds like a porno movie to me.
>
>> For some reason, the DVR switched over to Bounce TV and showed some thing
>> about Martin Luther King. They were supposed to be marching, I assume on
>> Alabama, but they obviously couldn't hold focus on them since they were
>> doing really long shot close-ups of their faces, so, instead of actually
>> walking, they were all pretending to walk in place and it was so inept I
>> was just laughing hysterically.
>
> You would think Bounce could find a way to do that correctly.
>
>> I found that the Amazon prime has THE AVENGERS, the 1960s TV series,
>> including several seasons from before Mrs. Peel was needed.
>
> BEFORE Emma Peel?
> Don't make me Troll-O-Meter you, bro! ;-)

They count the first Diana Rigg episode as S04E01!

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-12 (Sunday)

<tsgcro$2io6m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175467&group=rec.arts.tv#175467

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 11:28:40 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 16:28 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:

>>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>>
>>> I found that the Amazon prime has THE AVENGERS, the 1960s TV series,
>>> including several seasons from before Mrs. Peel was needed.
>>
>> BEFORE Emma Peel?
>> Don't make me Troll-O-Meter you, bro! ;-)
>
> They count the first Diana Rigg episode as S04E01!

*GASP*

--
Let's go Brandon!