From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: So...if Russia launches nukes, we won't SEE them till they are OVER North America???
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 19:10:49 -0600
 by: super70s - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 01:10 UTC

In article <1f5f918f-2bb5-4d93-8d3e-113c15b3834bn@googlegroups.com>,
RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow! That does sound pretty bad. No early warning at all. Given they didn't
> SEE these gigantic balloons/whatever until they were f------- ABOVE the
> U.S.???

Monitoring the airspace for guided missles is different technology than
monitoring the airspace for surveillance balloons. Now we're doing both.

Biden consulted with his top military advisors before he decided how to
proceed with the first balloon.

Good for the voting public to know his political enemies in congress
apparently don't subscribe to that and will go off half cocked in case
they ever aspire to be in his position.

Re: So...if Russia launches nukes, we won't SEE them till they are OVER North America???

<jlpluhtt43m11sjbhbsqmoeqfrcarq865d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175404&group=rec.arts.tv#175404

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 20:43:15 -0500
 by: shawn - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 01:43 UTC

On Mon, 13 Feb 2023 19:10:49 -0600, super70s
<super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:

>In article <1f5f918f-2bb5-4d93-8d3e-113c15b3834bn@googlegroups.com>,
> RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Wow! That does sound pretty bad. No early warning at all. Given they didn't
>> SEE these gigantic balloons/whatever until they were f------- ABOVE the
>> U.S.???
>
>Monitoring the airspace for guided missles is different technology than
>monitoring the airspace for surveillance balloons. Now we're doing both.

Yep, before this they were filtering out things like balloons in the
same way they filter out birds so that they could concentrate their
efforts on the things that were more likely to be a threat. Now
they've opened up the filter a bit so they are seeing many more
objects than they were before, many of which have been there for ages.

>Biden consulted with his top military advisors before he decided how to
>proceed with the first balloon.
>
>Good for the voting public to know his political enemies in congress
>apparently don't subscribe to that and will go off half cocked in case
>they ever aspire to be in his position.

Re: So...if Russia launches nukes, we won't SEE them till they are OVER North America???

<130220232308353496%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175415&group=rec.arts.tv#175415

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 23:08:35 -0500
 by: A Friend - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 04:08 UTC

In article
<super70s-60E001.19104913022023@reader01.eternal-september.org>,
super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:

> In article <1f5f918f-2bb5-4d93-8d3e-113c15b3834bn@googlegroups.com>,
> RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Wow! That does sound pretty bad. No early warning at all. Given they
> > didn't
> > SEE these gigantic balloons/whatever until they were f------- ABOVE the
> > U.S.???
>
> Monitoring the airspace for guided missles is different technology than
> monitoring the airspace for surveillance balloons. Now we're doing both.

We also look for launches. It's not just a bunch of guys sitting
around inside a mountain somewhere, playing solitaire while waiting for
incoming missiles to show up on a screen.