Nothing is but what is not.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisher

SubjectAuthor
* Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by PublisherBTR1701
+* Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisherchromebook test
|+- Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisherchromebook test
|`* Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by PublisherNeill Massello
| `- Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publishertrotsky
+* Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publishertrotsky
|+- Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by PublisherRhino2
|`- Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by PublisherUbiquitous
+* Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by PublishermoviePig
|`* Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by PublisherRhino2
| `* Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by PublishermoviePig
|  `- Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publishertrotsky
+- Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by PublisherNyssa
`* Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by PublisherRhino2
 `* Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by PublisherBTR1701
  +* Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisherchromebook test
  |`- Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisherchromebook test
  +- Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisherchromebook test
  +* Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by PublisherRhino
  |`- Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisherchromebook test
  `- Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by PublisherAdam H. Kerman

1
Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisher

<Oq-dnYwr39NGA2z-nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175959&group=rec.arts.tv#175959

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisher
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 04:00:27 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 04:00 UTC

Roald Dahl, 2001 vs 2022 editions:

THE WITCHES
https://www.dropbox.com/s/09mb25s1m1kzquo/Dahl.Witches.png?dl=0

In JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH, the Cloud-Men have become Cloud-People, Miss
Sponge is no longer "the fat one", Miss Spider's head is no longer "black" and
the Earthworm no longer has "lovely pink" skin but "lovely smooth skin".

THE TWITS
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bb0tf25xfuct0i/Dahl.Twits.png?dl=0

"Fat little brown mouse" has become "little brown mouse". "Here's your little
boy. He needs to go on a diet", becomes "Here’s your little boy."

GEORGE'S MARVELLOUS MEDICINE
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjn45xy9xfxzcco/Dahl.Medicine.png?dl=0

In FANTASTIC MR. FOX, a description of tractors, saying that "the machines
were both black", has been cut. "Bunce, the little pot-bellied dwarf", is now
just Bunce.

In ESIO TROT, in 2022, middle-aged ladies can no longer be attractive, they
can only be kind...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/68ye912gp6nh4sc/Dahl.EsioTrot.png?dl=0

And, of course, CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY is a major offender, what
with the slave-like Oompa-Loompas and body-shaming descriptions of various
characters.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9edrn0duwf8f8g/Dahl.CCF.png?dl=0

The whole literature of the past will have been destroyed. Chaucer,
Shakespeare, Milton, Byron-- they'll exist only in Newspeak versions, not
merely changed into something different, but actually changed into something
contradictory of what they used to be-- George Orwell, 1984

Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisher

<8fafb958-0269-4bb8-b447-459343fdc15en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175961&group=rec.arts.tv#175961

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 20:15:39 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 04:15 UTC

On Saturday, February 18, 2023 at 11:00:37 PM UTC-5, BTR1701 wrote:
> Roald Dahl, 2001 vs 2022 editions:
>
> THE WITCHES
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/09mb25s1m1kzquo/Dahl.Witches.png?dl=0
>
> In JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH, the Cloud-Men have become Cloud-People, Miss
> Sponge is no longer "the fat one", Miss Spider's head is no longer "black" and
> the Earthworm no longer has "lovely pink" skin but "lovely smooth skin".
>
> THE TWITS
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bb0tf25xfuct0i/Dahl.Twits.png?dl=0
>
> "Fat little brown mouse" has become "little brown mouse". "Here's your little
> boy. He needs to go on a diet", becomes "Here’s your little boy."
>
> GEORGE'S MARVELLOUS MEDICINE
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjn45xy9xfxzcco/Dahl.Medicine.png?dl=0
>
> In FANTASTIC MR. FOX, a description of tractors, saying that "the machines
> were both black", has been cut. "Bunce, the little pot-bellied dwarf", is now
> just Bunce.
>
> In ESIO TROT, in 2022, middle-aged ladies can no longer be attractive, they
> can only be kind...
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/68ye912gp6nh4sc/Dahl.EsioTrot.png?dl=0
>
> And, of course, CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY is a major offender, what
> with the slave-like Oompa-Loompas and body-shaming descriptions of various
> characters.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9edrn0duwf8f8g/Dahl.CCF.png?dl=0

> The whole literature of the past will have been destroyed. Chaucer,
> Shakespeare, Milton, Byron-- they'll exist only in Newspeak versions, not
> merely changed into something different, but actually changed into something
> contradictory of what they used to be-- George Orwell, 1984

But, the munchkins of The Emerald City will always own the yellow brick road.

https://res.cloudinary.com/graham-media-group/image/upload/f_auto/q_auto/c_scale,w_900/v1/media/gmg/4TYC3PRHPVEBZNEHIC6VRAHECY.jpg?_a=AJE+xWI0

https://res.cloudinary.com/graham-media-group/image/upload/f_auto/q_auto/c_scale,w_640/v1/media/gmg/2QBEBKFD6BH5PIUEYT2BKFE52M.jpg?_a=AJE+xWI0

-----------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGBGXmQhPQQ

Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisher

<fde61b9f-0e2b-469e-bd08-4e0335c265c0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175962&group=rec.arts.tv#175962

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 20:22:31 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 04:22 UTC

On Saturday, February 18, 2023 at 11:15:41 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Saturday, February 18, 2023 at 11:00:37 PM UTC-5, BTR1701 wrote:

> > The whole literature of the past will have been destroyed. Chaucer,
> > Shakespeare, Milton, Byron-- they'll exist only in Newspeak versions, not
> > merely changed into something different, but actually changed into something
> > contradictory of what they used to be-- George Orwell, 1984

> But, the munchkins of The Emerald City will always own the yellow brick road.

> https://res.cloudinary.com/graham-media-group/image/upload/f_auto/q_auto/c_scale,w_900/v1/media/gmg/4TYC3PRHPVEBZNEHIC6VRAHECY.jpg?_a=AJE+xWI0

tags: metaphors be fun

Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisher

<gXmIL.1054724$vBI8.594335@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175972&group=rec.arts.tv#175972

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 04:34:51 -0600
 by: trotsky - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:34 UTC

On 2/18/23 10:00 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> Roald Dahl, 2001 vs 2022 editions:
>
> THE WITCHES
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/09mb25s1m1kzquo/Dahl.Witches.png?dl=0
>
> In JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH, the Cloud-Men have become Cloud-People, Miss
> Sponge is no longer "the fat one", Miss Spider's head is no longer "black" and
> the Earthworm no longer has "lovely pink" skin but "lovely smooth skin".
>
> THE TWITS
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bb0tf25xfuct0i/Dahl.Twits.png?dl=0
>
> "Fat little brown mouse" has become "little brown mouse". "Here's your little
> boy. He needs to go on a diet", becomes "Here’s your little boy."
>
> GEORGE'S MARVELLOUS MEDICINE
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjn45xy9xfxzcco/Dahl.Medicine.png?dl=0
>
> In FANTASTIC MR. FOX, a description of tractors, saying that "the machines
> were both black", has been cut. "Bunce, the little pot-bellied dwarf", is now
> just Bunce.
>
> In ESIO TROT, in 2022, middle-aged ladies can no longer be attractive, they
> can only be kind...
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/68ye912gp6nh4sc/Dahl.EsioTrot.png?dl=0
>
> And, of course, CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY is a major offender, what
> with the slave-like Oompa-Loompas and body-shaming descriptions of various
> characters.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9edrn0duwf8f8g/Dahl.CCF.png?dl=0
>

> The whole literature of the past will have been destroyed. Chaucer,
> Shakespeare, Milton, Byron-- they'll exist only in Newspeak versions, not
> merely changed into something different, but actually changed into something
> contradictory of what they used to be-- George Orwell, 1984

Orwell was a genius. And describes the right wing perfectly. Ron
DeathSantis is following the 1984 playbook quite well. I know, I know,
you don't have the balls to admit this. What new.

Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisher

<FSqIL.1058013$vBI8.4366@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175986&group=rec.arts.tv#175986

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:03:00 -0500
 by: moviePig - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 15:03 UTC

On 2/18/2023 11:00 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> Roald Dahl, 2001 vs 2022 editions:
>
> THE WITCHES
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/09mb25s1m1kzquo/Dahl.Witches.png?dl=0
>
> In JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH, the Cloud-Men have become Cloud-People, Miss
> Sponge is no longer "the fat one", Miss Spider's head is no longer "black" and
> the Earthworm no longer has "lovely pink" skin but "lovely smooth skin".
>
> THE TWITS
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bb0tf25xfuct0i/Dahl.Twits.png?dl=0
>
> "Fat little brown mouse" has become "little brown mouse". "Here's your little
> boy. He needs to go on a diet", becomes "Here’s your little boy."
>
> GEORGE'S MARVELLOUS MEDICINE
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjn45xy9xfxzcco/Dahl.Medicine.png?dl=0
>
> In FANTASTIC MR. FOX, a description of tractors, saying that "the machines
> were both black", has been cut. "Bunce, the little pot-bellied dwarf", is now
> just Bunce.
>
> In ESIO TROT, in 2022, middle-aged ladies can no longer be attractive, they
> can only be kind...
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/68ye912gp6nh4sc/Dahl.EsioTrot.png?dl=0
>
> And, of course, CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY is a major offender, what
> with the slave-like Oompa-Loompas and body-shaming descriptions of various
> characters.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9edrn0duwf8f8g/Dahl.CCF.png?dl=0
>

> The whole literature of the past will have been destroyed. Chaucer,
> Shakespeare, Milton, Byron-- they'll exist only in Newspeak versions, not
> merely changed into something different, but actually changed into something
> contradictory of what they used to be-- George Orwell, 1984

"Literature of the past" may be unsuitable for toddlers of the present.

Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisher

<tstf3s$e55k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175987&group=rec.arts.tv#175987

Followup: rec.arts.tv
From: Nys...@LogicalInsight.net (Nyssa)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:28:02 -0500
 by: Nyssa - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 15:28 UTC

BTR1701 wrote:

> Roald Dahl, 2001 vs 2022 editions:
>
> THE WITCHES
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/09mb25s1m1kzquo/Dahl.Witches.png?dl=0
>
> In JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH, the Cloud-Men have become
> Cloud-People, Miss Sponge is no longer "the fat one", Miss
> Spider's head is no longer "black" and the Earthworm no
> longer has "lovely pink" skin but "lovely smooth skin".
>
> THE TWITS
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bb0tf25xfuct0i/Dahl.Twits.png?dl=0
>
> "Fat little brown mouse" has become "little brown mouse".
> "Here's your little boy. He needs to go on a diet",
> becomes "Here?s your little boy."
>
> GEORGE'S MARVELLOUS MEDICINE
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjn45xy9xfxzcco/Dahl.Medicine.png?dl=0
>
> In FANTASTIC MR. FOX, a description of tractors, saying
> that "the machines were both black", has been cut. "Bunce,
> the little pot-bellied dwarf", is now just Bunce.
>
> In ESIO TROT, in 2022, middle-aged ladies can no longer be
> attractive, they can only be kind...
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/68ye912gp6nh4sc/Dahl.EsioTrot.png?dl=0
>
> And, of course, CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY is a
> major offender, what with the slave-like Oompa-Loompas and
> body-shaming descriptions of various characters.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9edrn0duwf8f8g/Dahl.CCF.png?dl=0
>

> The whole literature of the past will have been destroyed.
> Chaucer, Shakespeare, Milton, Byron-- they'll exist only
> in Newspeak versions, not merely changed into something
> different, but actually changed into something
> contradictory of what they used to be-- George Orwell,
> 1984

The BBC World Service radio covered this. They had before
and after passages read out. The newsreader commented that
the "after" versions sounded bland. (The story may still be
available on their website.)

Of course they also had a pro-revision "expert" on to
be interviewed and she said she preferred the bland versions.

Let's see: rich, descriptive adjectives that flowed well
and would catch the reader's imagination to picture the
characters being described versus generic, bland labels
that do nothing to expand the characters.

I know which I'd choose.

Nyssa, who is disgusted over people trying to edit and
modify the writings and creative work of people who actually
had talent...which were the reasons the books sold well
and became classics in the first place

Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisher

<d2748964-d88f-4b81-b24a-52e45faff280n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175991&group=rec.arts.tv#175991

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 07:57:07 -0800 (PST)
From: hughmung...@gmail.com (Rhino2)
 by: Rhino2 - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 15:57 UTC

On Saturday, February 18, 2023 at 11:00:37 PM UTC-5, BTR1701 wrote:
> Roald Dahl, 2001 vs 2022 editions:
>
> THE WITCHES
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/09mb25s1m1kzquo/Dahl.Witches.png?dl=0
>
> In JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH, the Cloud-Men have become Cloud-People, Miss
> Sponge is no longer "the fat one", Miss Spider's head is no longer "black" and
> the Earthworm no longer has "lovely pink" skin but "lovely smooth skin".
>
> THE TWITS
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bb0tf25xfuct0i/Dahl.Twits.png?dl=0
>
> "Fat little brown mouse" has become "little brown mouse". "Here's your little
> boy. He needs to go on a diet", becomes "Here’s your little boy."
>
> GEORGE'S MARVELLOUS MEDICINE
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjn45xy9xfxzcco/Dahl.Medicine.png?dl=0
>
> In FANTASTIC MR. FOX, a description of tractors, saying that "the machines
> were both black", has been cut. "Bunce, the little pot-bellied dwarf", is now
> just Bunce.
>
> In ESIO TROT, in 2022, middle-aged ladies can no longer be attractive, they
> can only be kind...
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/68ye912gp6nh4sc/Dahl.EsioTrot.png?dl=0
>
> And, of course, CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY is a major offender, what
> with the slave-like Oompa-Loompas and body-shaming descriptions of various
> characters.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9edrn0duwf8f8g/Dahl.CCF.png?dl=0
>

> The whole literature of the past will have been destroyed. Chaucer,
> Shakespeare, Milton, Byron-- they'll exist only in Newspeak versions, not
> merely changed into something different, but actually changed into something
> contradictory of what they used to be-- George Orwell, 1984

Oh oh! You just quoted George Orwell. That makes you a right-wing extremist!

Have a look at this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQOoei08cEI [11 minutes]

(The video is all good but the part that deals with Orwell starts at about 3:25.) The British PREVENT organization, set up to find ways to stop Islamic extremism, has decided that it also needs to stomp out right wing extremism and has targeted "classic" writers like Joseph Conrad, C. S. Lewis, J. R.. R. Tolkien and George Orwell as well as contemporary writers like Douglas Murray and Melanie Philips.

Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisher

<tstn1b$ev3q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176007&group=rec.arts.tv#176007

From: nmasse...@yahoo.com (Neill Massello)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 17:42:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Neill Massello - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 17:42 UTC

On 18 Feb 2023 at 22:15:39 CST, "chromebook test" <chromiumtest56@gmail.com>
wrote:

> But, the munchkins of The Emerald City will always own the yellow brick road.

Nope. The Chinese bought it and are turning it into a toll road.

Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisher

<9447a22f-71e5-4332-9377-5db5418c0d9bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176022&group=rec.arts.tv#176022

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:44:03 -0800 (PST)
From: hughmung...@gmail.com (Rhino2)
 by: Rhino2 - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 18:44 UTC

On Sunday, February 19, 2023 at 5:34:57 AM UTC-5, trotsky wrote:
> On 2/18/23 10:00 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> > Roald Dahl, 2001 vs 2022 editions:
> >
> > THE WITCHES
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/09mb25s1m1kzquo/Dahl.Witches.png?dl=0
> >
> > In JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH, the Cloud-Men have become Cloud-People, Miss
> > Sponge is no longer "the fat one", Miss Spider's head is no longer "black" and
> > the Earthworm no longer has "lovely pink" skin but "lovely smooth skin"..
> >
> > THE TWITS
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bb0tf25xfuct0i/Dahl.Twits.png?dl=0
> >
> > "Fat little brown mouse" has become "little brown mouse". "Here's your little
> > boy. He needs to go on a diet", becomes "Here’s your little boy.."
> >
> > GEORGE'S MARVELLOUS MEDICINE
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjn45xy9xfxzcco/Dahl.Medicine.png?dl=0
> >
> > In FANTASTIC MR. FOX, a description of tractors, saying that "the machines
> > were both black", has been cut. "Bunce, the little pot-bellied dwarf", is now
> > just Bunce.
> >
> > In ESIO TROT, in 2022, middle-aged ladies can no longer be attractive, they
> > can only be kind...
> >
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/68ye912gp6nh4sc/Dahl.EsioTrot.png?dl=0
> >
> > And, of course, CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY is a major offender, what
> > with the slave-like Oompa-Loompas and body-shaming descriptions of various
> > characters.
> >
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9edrn0duwf8f8g/Dahl.CCF.png?dl=0
> >

> > The whole literature of the past will have been destroyed. Chaucer,
> > Shakespeare, Milton, Byron-- they'll exist only in Newspeak versions, not
> > merely changed into something different, but actually changed into something
> > contradictory of what they used to be-- George Orwell, 1984
> Orwell was a genius. And describes the right wing perfectly. Ron
> DeathSantis is following the 1984 playbook quite well. I know, I know,
> you don't have the balls to admit this. What new.

Orwell was a genius alright but not because he described the *right* wing correctly but because he described the Stalinist Soviet Union so accurately. There are so many parallels between the world described in 1984 and the Soviet Union that even you would be able to see it if you knew the first thing about history.

Emmanuel Goldstein is a clear parallel with the historical Trotsky, right down to being obviously Jewish. Goldstein is a former top leader of the Party who opposed the direction that Big Brother (Stalin) wanted to go. That put him on Big Brother's bad side just as Trotsky found himself opposing the direction Stalin wanted to steer the Soviet Union. The only substantial difference between Goldstein and Trotsky is that Orwell has Big Brother's minions "re-educate" Goldstein rather than simply murder him as Stalin did in real life.

The whole idea of how Oceania was at war with Eurasia and then suddenly being at war with Eastasia instead is an obvious parallel to Stalin's foreign policy. Up until 1939, the USSR was resolutely anti-Nazi and anti-German but literally overnight (Aug 23, 1939) signed a pact with Germany and a week later joined Germany in dismembering Poland and carving up eastern Europe into separate spheres. Then, in 1941, Germany attacked the USSR and suddenly became the great enemy of the USSR again. A substantial number of Western Communists left their respective Communist parties because they couldn't swallow the abrupt diametrical changes in policy.

The constant revising of history to make "unpersons" of formerly loyal citizens that was depicted in 1984 is precisely what the Soviets did. David King, an American, has over 250,000 examples of publications where a given person was once a valued member of Soviet society was suddenly removed in later editions of the same publication, whether a newspaper, an academic article, a public painting, or an encyclopedia. A few of the most egregious examples are shown in his book The Commissar Vanishes.

The relentless surveillance of citizens was as much a feature of Stalin's USSR as it was in 1984; it only lacked the technical sophistication of 1984 since the book was set in 1984 and television technology was far more advanced than it was in the 1940s. The indoctrination of children into the spying apparatus was a key feature of Soviet life just as it was in 1984. Denunciations of people came from neighbours in 1984 just as it did in the Soviet Union (and Nazi Germany). Torture for those accused of opposition to the Party was routine in both 1984 and the USSR.

There was an immense "cult of personality" around Big Brother; this is clearly inspired by the cult of personality around Stalin.

The parallels between the USSR and 1984 are blindingly obvious to anyone who reads 1984 and has even a basic knowledge of how the USSR worked in Stalin's day.

Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisher

<25f3c0ad-4bad-4e9e-b0d3-7bb79b803b69n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176024&group=rec.arts.tv#176024

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:47:06 -0800 (PST)
From: hughmung...@gmail.com (Rhino2)
 by: Rhino2 - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 18:47 UTC

On Sunday, February 19, 2023 at 10:03:07 AM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
> On 2/18/2023 11:00 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> > Roald Dahl, 2001 vs 2022 editions:
> >
> > THE WITCHES
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/09mb25s1m1kzquo/Dahl.Witches.png?dl=0
> >
> > In JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH, the Cloud-Men have become Cloud-People, Miss
> > Sponge is no longer "the fat one", Miss Spider's head is no longer "black" and
> > the Earthworm no longer has "lovely pink" skin but "lovely smooth skin"..
> >
> > THE TWITS
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bb0tf25xfuct0i/Dahl.Twits.png?dl=0
> >
> > "Fat little brown mouse" has become "little brown mouse". "Here's your little
> > boy. He needs to go on a diet", becomes "Here’s your little boy.."
> >
> > GEORGE'S MARVELLOUS MEDICINE
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjn45xy9xfxzcco/Dahl.Medicine.png?dl=0
> >
> > In FANTASTIC MR. FOX, a description of tractors, saying that "the machines
> > were both black", has been cut. "Bunce, the little pot-bellied dwarf", is now
> > just Bunce.
> >
> > In ESIO TROT, in 2022, middle-aged ladies can no longer be attractive, they
> > can only be kind...
> >
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/68ye912gp6nh4sc/Dahl.EsioTrot.png?dl=0
> >
> > And, of course, CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY is a major offender, what
> > with the slave-like Oompa-Loompas and body-shaming descriptions of various
> > characters.
> >
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9edrn0duwf8f8g/Dahl.CCF.png?dl=0
> >

> > The whole literature of the past will have been destroyed. Chaucer,
> > Shakespeare, Milton, Byron-- they'll exist only in Newspeak versions, not
> > merely changed into something different, but actually changed into something
> > contradictory of what they used to be-- George Orwell, 1984
> "Literature of the past" may be unsuitable for toddlers of the present.

Patronizing pseudo-intellectuals like you are precisely the sort of people who declare that "literature of the past" isn't suitable for ANYONE and must be suppressed (although copies will no doubt be preserved for the private libraries of discerning individuals like you).

Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisher

<yRednba50uOQGW_-nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176031&group=rec.arts.tv#176031

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 20:18:21 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 20:18 UTC

On Feb 19, 2023 at 7:57:07 AM PST, "Rhino2" <hughmunguscan@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, February 18, 2023 at 11:00:37 PM UTC-5, BTR1701 wrote:
>> Roald Dahl, 2001 vs 2022 editions:
>>
>> THE WITCHES
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/09mb25s1m1kzquo/Dahl.Witches.png?dl=0
>>
>> In JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH, the Cloud-Men have become Cloud-People, Miss
>> Sponge is no longer "the fat one", Miss Spider's head is no longer "black"
>> and
>> the Earthworm no longer has "lovely pink" skin but "lovely smooth skin".
>>
>> THE TWITS
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bb0tf25xfuct0i/Dahl.Twits.png?dl=0
>>
>> "Fat little brown mouse" has become "little brown mouse". "Here's your
>> little
>> boy. He needs to go on a diet", becomes "Here’s your little boy."
>>
>> GEORGE'S MARVELLOUS MEDICINE
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjn45xy9xfxzcco/Dahl.Medicine.png?dl=0
>>
>> In FANTASTIC MR. FOX, a description of tractors, saying that "the machines
>> were both black", has been cut. "Bunce, the little pot-bellied dwarf", is
>> now
>> just Bunce.
>>
>> In ESIO TROT, in 2022, middle-aged ladies can no longer be attractive, they
>> can only be kind...
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/68ye912gp6nh4sc/Dahl.EsioTrot.png?dl=0
>>
>> And, of course, CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY is a major offender, what
>> with the slave-like Oompa-Loompas and body-shaming descriptions of various
>> characters.
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9edrn0duwf8f8g/Dahl.CCF.png?dl=0
>>
>> The whole literature of the past will have been destroyed. Chaucer,
>> Shakespeare, Milton, Byron-- they'll exist only in Newspeak versions, not
>> merely changed into something different, but actually changed into
>> something
>> contradictory of what they used to be-- George Orwell, 1984
>
> Oh oh! You just quoted George Orwell. That makes you a right-wing extremist!
>
> Have a look at this video:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQOoei08cEI [11 minutes]
>
> (The video is all good but the part that deals with Orwell starts at about
> 3:25.) The British PREVENT organization, set up to find ways to stop Islamic
> extremism, has decided that it also needs to stomp out right wing extremism
> and has targeted "classic" writers like Joseph Conrad, C. S. Lewis, J. R. R.
> Tolkien and George Orwell as well as contemporary writers like Douglas Murray
> and Melanie Philips.

They have to try to cancel Orwell because they're tired of people producing
1984 quotes that perfectly illustrate how totalitarian they're becoming.

And this sort of thing isn't confined to Britain, either. Before I retired, we
would regularly receive FBI 'alerts' to local other federal agencies and local
law enforcement with lists of indicators that they might be dealing with a
'right-wing domestic extremist' during traffic stops and other encounters.
These indicators include:

--Someone who is unusually familiar with and knowledgeable of the
Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and Supreme Court cases
dealing with citizen rights.

--NRA, 2nd Amendment, Gadsden flag, military (Marines, Army, etc.)
stickers on their vehicles

--A person who has a copy of the Constitution on his/her person or
in their vehicle.

--Insistence on forcing the police to abide by the 4th and 5th
Amendments. (I.e., will not answer police questions, will not
give consent to search vehicle, demand police get warrants, etc.)

So according to DHS, merely knowing your rights and exercising them is an
indicator that you're a ' right-wing domestic extremist', especially if you
also have a Marines sticker in your window, but they'll stand by and watch
leftist mobs trash our cities, sometimes literally for months.

If that doesn't send a chill down your spine, you're not paying attention.
(But this has nothing to do with Israel, so people like Mime are singularly
unconcerned about it.)

What's even more disturbing is that if the Declaration of Independence, one of
our nation's most cherished documents, hadn't been written as is, and someone
came up with it today and published it as their own words, they'd be labeled
an right-wing extremist and a domestic terrorist and put on an FBI watchlist.

Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisher

<lyvIL.767057$8_id.472249@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176032&group=rec.arts.tv#176032

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 15:22:39 -0500
 by: moviePig - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 20:22 UTC

On 2/19/2023 1:47 PM, Rhino2 wrote:
> On Sunday, February 19, 2023 at 10:03:07 AM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
>> On 2/18/2023 11:00 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>>> Roald Dahl, 2001 vs 2022 editions:
>>>
>>> THE WITCHES
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/09mb25s1m1kzquo/Dahl.Witches.png?dl=0
>>>
>>> In JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH, the Cloud-Men have become Cloud-People, Miss
>>> Sponge is no longer "the fat one", Miss Spider's head is no longer "black" and
>>> the Earthworm no longer has "lovely pink" skin but "lovely smooth skin".
>>>
>>> THE TWITS
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bb0tf25xfuct0i/Dahl.Twits.png?dl=0
>>>
>>> "Fat little brown mouse" has become "little brown mouse". "Here's your little
>>> boy. He needs to go on a diet", becomes "Here’s your little boy."
>>>
>>> GEORGE'S MARVELLOUS MEDICINE
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjn45xy9xfxzcco/Dahl.Medicine.png?dl=0
>>>
>>> In FANTASTIC MR. FOX, a description of tractors, saying that "the machines
>>> were both black", has been cut. "Bunce, the little pot-bellied dwarf", is now
>>> just Bunce.
>>>
>>> In ESIO TROT, in 2022, middle-aged ladies can no longer be attractive, they
>>> can only be kind...
>>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/68ye912gp6nh4sc/Dahl.EsioTrot.png?dl=0
>>>
>>> And, of course, CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY is a major offender, what
>>> with the slave-like Oompa-Loompas and body-shaming descriptions of various
>>> characters.
>>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9edrn0duwf8f8g/Dahl.CCF.png?dl=0
>>>

>>> The whole literature of the past will have been destroyed. Chaucer,
>>> Shakespeare, Milton, Byron-- they'll exist only in Newspeak versions, not
>>> merely changed into something different, but actually changed into something
>>> contradictory of what they used to be-- George Orwell, 1984
>> "Literature of the past" may be unsuitable for toddlers of the present.
>
> Patronizing pseudo-intellectuals like you are precisely the sort of people who declare that "literature of the past" isn't suitable for ANYONE and must be suppressed (although copies will no doubt be preserved for the private libraries of discerning individuals like you).

So, past literature *IS* suitable for today's toddlers? No exceptions?

Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisher

<e282d7a9-e6e2-4c8e-9356-cc3b96bcd88dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176036&group=rec.arts.tv#176036

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 12:34:11 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 20:34 UTC

On Sunday, February 19, 2023 at 3:18:31 PM UTC-5, BTR1701 wrote:
> [...]
> give consent to search vehicle, demand police get warrants, etc.)

> So according to DHS, merely knowing your rights and exercising them is an
> indicator that you're a ' right-wing domestic extremist', especially if you
> also have a Marines sticker in your window, but they'll stand by and watch
> leftist mobs trash our cities, sometimes literally for months.

> If that doesn't send a chill down your spine, you're not paying attention..
> (But this has nothing to do with Israel, so people like Mime are singularly
> unconcerned about it.)

> What's even more disturbing is that if the Declaration of Independence, one of
> our nation's most cherished documents, hadn't been written as is, and someone
> came up with it today and published it as their own words, they'd be labeled
> an right-wing extremist and a domestic terrorist and put on an FBI watchlist.

mime carries a pocket copy of the constitution, procured for free from the ACLU. He is already on DHS watch list.

mime be very, very quiet now.....

tags: mime also gots a bunch of bitcoins, carries that too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzdxeBTm6gk

tags: THE FUCKERS ARE LYING TO YOU!

Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisher

<95992eb0-1d2f-4a8e-aadf-bbdf80e23be9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176040&group=rec.arts.tv#176040

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 12:47:43 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 20:47 UTC

On Sunday, February 19, 2023 at 3:34:14 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Sunday, February 19, 2023 at 3:18:31 PM UTC-5, BTR1701 wrote:

> > > Oh oh! You just quoted George Orwell. That makes you a right-wing extremist!
> > >
> > > Have a look at this video:
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQOoei08cEI [11 minutes]
> > >
> > > (The video is all good but the part that deals with Orwell starts at about
> > > 3:25.) The British PREVENT organization, set up to find ways to stop Islamic
> > > extremism, has decided that it also needs to stomp out right wing extremism
> > > and has targeted "classic" writers like Joseph Conrad, C. S. Lewis, J.. R. R.
> > > Tolkien and George Orwell as well as contemporary writers like Douglas Murray
> > > and Melanie Philips.
> > They have to try to cancel Orwell because they're tired of people producing
> > 1984 quotes that perfectly illustrate how totalitarian they're becoming..
> >
> > And this sort of thing isn't confined to Britain, either. Before I retired, we
> > would regularly receive FBI 'alerts' to local other federal agencies and local
> > law enforcement with lists of indicators that they might be dealing with a
> > 'right-wing domestic extremist' during traffic stops and other encounters.
> > These indicators include:
> >
> > --Someone who is unusually familiar with and knowledgeable of the
> > Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and Supreme Court cases
> > dealing with citizen rights.
> >
> > --NRA, 2nd Amendment, Gadsden flag, military (Marines, Army, etc.)
> > stickers on their vehicles
> >
> > --A person who has a copy of the Constitution on his/her person or
> > in their vehicle.
> >
> > --Insistence on forcing the police to abide by the 4th and 5th
> > Amendments. (I.e., will not answer police questions, will not
> > give consent to search vehicle, demand police get warrants, etc.)
>

> > So according to DHS, merely knowing your rights and exercising them is an
> > indicator that you're a ' right-wing domestic extremist', especially if you
> > also have a Marines sticker in your window, but they'll stand by and watch
> > leftist mobs trash our cities, sometimes literally for months.
>

> > If that doesn't send a chill down your spine, you're not paying attention.
> > (But this has nothing to do with Israel, so people like Mime are singularly
> > unconcerned about it.)
>

> > What's even more disturbing is that if the Declaration of Independence, one of
> > our nation's most cherished documents, hadn't been written as is, and someone
> > came up with it today and published it as their own words, they'd be labeled
> > an right-wing extremist and a domestic terrorist and put on an FBI watchlist.
> mime carries a pocket copy of the constitution, procured for free from the ACLU. He is already on DHS watch list.
>
> mime be very, very quiet now.....

If tomorrow all the things were gone
I worked for all my life
And I had to start again
With just my children and my wife
I thank my lucky stars

> tags: mime also gots a bunch of bitcoins, carries that too

> tags: THE FUCKERS ARE LYING TO YOU!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-HrI4j9q20

Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisher

<Y4wIL.1019688$iS99.392206@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176041&group=rec.arts.tv#176041

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 14:59:35 -0600
 by: trotsky - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 20:59 UTC

On 2/19/23 2:22 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 2/19/2023 1:47 PM, Rhino2 wrote:

>>> "Literature of the past" may be unsuitable for toddlers of the present.
>>
>> Patronizing pseudo-intellectuals like you are precisely the sort of
>> people who declare that "literature of the past" isn't suitable for
>> ANYONE and must be suppressed (although copies will no doubt be
>> preserved for the private libraries of discerning individuals like you).
>
> So, past literature *IS* suitable for today's toddlers?  No exceptions?

I'm sure a book about a giant peach would turn kids transgender. Tucker
Carlson covered this.

Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisher

<22af856f-0a91-45c4-8efa-edec77db09ben@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176048&group=rec.arts.tv#176048

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 13:31:37 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 21:31 UTC

On Sunday, February 19, 2023 at 3:18:31 PM UTC-5, BTR1701 wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2023 at 7:57:07 AM PST, "Rhino2" <hughmu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Saturday, February 18, 2023 at 11:00:37 PM UTC-5, BTR1701 wrote:
> >> Roald Dahl, 2001 vs 2022 editions:

> And this sort of thing isn't confined to Britain, either. Before I retired, we
> would regularly receive FBI 'alerts' to local other federal agencies and local
> law enforcement with lists of indicators that they might be dealing with a
> 'right-wing domestic extremist' during traffic stops and other encounters.
> These indicators include:
>
> --Someone who is unusually familiar with and knowledgeable of the
> Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and Supreme Court cases
> dealing with citizen rights.
>
> --NRA, 2nd Amendment, Gadsden flag, military (Marines, Army, etc.)
> stickers on their vehicles
>
> --A person who has a copy of the Constitution on his/her person or
> in their vehicle.
>
> --Insistence on forcing the police to abide by the 4th and 5th
> Amendments. (I.e., will not answer police questions, will not
> give consent to search vehicle, demand police get warrants, etc.)
>
> So according to DHS, merely knowing your rights and exercising them is an
> indicator that you're a ' right-wing domestic extremist', especially if you
> also have a Marines sticker in your window, but they'll stand by and watch
> leftist mobs trash our cities, sometimes literally for months.

> If that doesn't send a chill down your spine, you're not paying attention.
> (But this has nothing to do with Israel, so people like Mime are singularly
> unconcerned about it.)

There is a common theme to nearly all my posts, that theme extends to the people of Palestine who live under an oppressive apartheid regime, funded with MY American tax dollars, which I find highly repugnant and repulsive.

Bitcoin, the Constitution, gun rights, free speech, freedom of the press, human rights... rights for oppressed Palestinians, ....go back and read my posts.

See if you can find a central theme, a thread that runs through them all.

> What's even more disturbing is that if the Declaration of Independence, one of
> our nation's most cherished documents, hadn't been written as is, and someone
> came up with it today and published it as their own words, they'd be labeled
> an right-wing extremist and a domestic terrorist and put on an FBI watchlist.

------------

keep a song in your heart!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiIm78ccJVI

Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisher

<%GwIL.563288$t5W7.320515@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176051&group=rec.arts.tv#176051

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 15:40:10 -0600
 by: trotsky - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 21:40 UTC

On 2/19/23 11:42 AM, Neill Massello wrote:
> On 18 Feb 2023 at 22:15:39 CST, "chromebook test" <chromiumtest56@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> But, the munchkins of The Emerald City will always own the yellow brick road.
>
> Nope. The Chinese bought it and are turning it into a toll road.

Or the yellow owned road.

Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisher

<tsu6tp$eg7q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176054&group=rec.arts.tv#176054

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 17:13:11 -0500
 by: Rhino - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 22:13 UTC

On 2023-02-19 3:18 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> [...]
> give consent to search vehicle, demand police get warrants, etc.)
>
> So according to DHS, merely knowing your rights and exercising them is an
> indicator that you're a ' right-wing domestic extremist', especially if you
> also have a Marines sticker in your window, but they'll stand by and watch
> leftist mobs trash our cities, sometimes literally for months.
>
> If that doesn't send a chill down your spine, you're not paying attention.
> (But this has nothing to do with Israel, so people like Mime are singularly
> unconcerned about it.)
>
> What's even more disturbing is that if the Declaration of Independence, one of
> our nation's most cherished documents, hadn't been written as is, and someone
> came up with it today and published it as their own words, they'd be labeled
> an right-wing extremist and a domestic terrorist and put on an FBI watchlist.

That's truly disturbing. It would be a much better world if EVERYONE
knew the things that DHS has deemed symptomatic of right wing extremism.
It seems that the people who govern the country WANT people to be
ignorant of the founding principles of the country and the rights
enjoyed by all citizens and residents. After all, if people are ignorant
about their rights, they will be more co-operative with the law
enforcement agencies EVEN WHEN THOSE AGENCIES VIOLATE THEIR RIGHTS. Then
again, this is understandable from their point of view: it's easier to
herd docile sheep than thinking people. That's why they're so big on
indoctrinating youth at the schools. ALL organizations with
authoritarian leanings, whether they are the Jesuits, the Nazis or the
Communists put very high priority on raising the young for the
opportunities it gives them to shape their thinking. We see this in
sayings like "Give me the child and I'll give you the man."

--
Rhino

Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisher

<21c23eb0-df05-4251-a137-9b0698f623can@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176055&group=rec.arts.tv#176055

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 14:26:24 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 22:26 UTC

On Sunday, February 19, 2023 at 5:13:21 PM UTC-5, Rhino wrote:
> [...]
> knew the things that DHS has deemed symptomatic of right wing extremism.
> It seems that the people who govern the country WANT people to be
> ignorant of the founding principles of the country and the rights
> enjoyed by all citizens and residents. After all, if people are ignorant
> about their rights, they will be more co-operative with the law
> enforcement agencies EVEN WHEN THOSE AGENCIES VIOLATE THEIR RIGHTS. Then
> again, this is understandable from their point of view: it's easier to
> herd docile sheep than thinking people. That's why they're so big on
> indoctrinating youth at the schools. ALL organizations with
> authoritarian leanings, whether they are the Jesuits, the Nazis or the
> Communists put very high priority on raising the young for the
> opportunities it gives them to shape their thinking. We see this in
> sayings like "Give me the child and I'll give you the man."

The same forces that occupy the hills of Palestine, occupy Capitol Hill. And they AIN'T Nazis, dumbass.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/04/23/us-states-use-anti-boycott-laws-punish-responsible-businesses

Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisher

<4sWdnVj8I7dSO2_-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176062&group=rec.arts.tv#176062

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 17:46:26 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 22:46 UTC

In article <gXmIL.1054724$vBI8.594335@fx15.iad>, gmsingh@email.com wrote:

> Orwell was a genius. And describes the right wing perfectly.

TROLL-O-METER
5* 6* *7
4* *8
3* *9
2* *10
1* | *stuporous
0* -*- *catatonic
* |\ *comatose
* \ *clinical death
* \ *biological death
* _\/ *demonic apparition
* * *damned for all eternity

Re: Roald Dahl's Books Undergo Woke Editing by Publisher

<tsu9lv$gnij$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176065&group=rec.arts.tv#176065

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 23:00:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 23:00 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>. . .

>They have to try to cancel Orwell because they're tired of people producing
>1984 quotes that perfectly illustrate how totalitarian they're becoming.

>And this sort of thing isn't confined to Britain, either. Before I retired, we
>would regularly receive FBI 'alerts' to local other federal agencies and local
>law enforcement with lists of indicators that they might be dealing with a
>'right-wing domestic extremist' during traffic stops and other encounters.
>These indicators include:

> --Someone who is unusually familiar with and knowledgeable of the
> Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and Supreme Court cases
> dealing with citizen rights.

I'm going to have to learn more Supreme Court cases. Vaga v. Tekoh (the
case last year about being unable to sue under 42 USC 1983) confuses the
hell out of me. Failure to Mirandize isn't necessarily a constitutional
violation, aargh.

Surely I should be mentioned on a bulletin by now.

> --NRA, 2nd Amendment, Gadsden flag, military (Marines, Army, etc.)
> stickers on their vehicles

I was just reading that the rattlesnake symbol originated with the
companies of Marines that the newly-authorized Continental Navy carried
during the Revolutionary War. If I have a picture of both Gadsden and
Franklin, could I get arrested? What if I carry Franklin's quote about
what the flag's symbols represent? None of it is racist.

> --A person who has a copy of the Constitution on his/her person or
> in their vehicle.

Shit. If I'm carry the United States Code, would I get shot on sight?

(That's a joke. It's 500 volumes or so.)

> --Insistence on forcing the police to abide by the 4th and 5th
> Amendments. (I.e., will not answer police questions, will not
> give consent to search vehicle, demand police get warrants, etc.)

In the '60s, civil rights protestors regularly quoted the constitution
too when harassed by police. Didn't know they were right wing extremists.

>So according to DHS, merely knowing your rights and exercising them is an
>indicator that you're a ' right-wing domestic extremist', especially if you
>also have a Marines sticker in your window, but they'll stand by and watch
>leftist mobs trash our cities, sometimes literally for months.

But DHS - the Department of Homeland Security - is taking its Orwellian
mission seriously!

>If that doesn't send a chill down your spine, you're not paying attention.
>(But this has nothing to do with Israel, so people like Mime are singularly
>unconcerned about it.)

>What's even more disturbing is that if the Declaration of Independence,
>one of our nation's most cherished documents, hadn't been written as is,
>and someone came up with it today and published it as their own words,
>they'd be labeled an right-wing extremist and a domestic terrorist and
>put on an FBI watchlist.

No one called our lifetime the Age of Enlightenment.