Subject: Re: So...if Russia launches nukes, we won't SEE them till they are OVER North America???
From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 07:41:27 -0500
 by: A Friend - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 12:41 UTC

In article <e43d922a-9a65-4b98-87d9-2d3e73eaf6b0n@googlegroups.com>,
RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, 12 February 2023 at 02:10:14 UTC-5, RichA wrote:
> > Wow! That does sound pretty bad. No early warning at all. Given they didn't
> > SEE these gigantic balloons/whatever until they were f------- ABOVE the
> > U.S.???
>
> I'd just like to add, even in the 1980's movie, "The Day After" where the
> world is nuked, the Americans knew long before the missiles broke U.S.
> airspace that nukes were headed to the U.S.
> Lets hope the radar (has the net deteriorated since the 1970s?) is working.
> Otherwise, instead of 30 minutes warning, you might only get 5.

Both sides had, and have, launch detection capabilities. If they
launched, we'd know it right away.

U.S. doctrine used to be that the U.S. would not launch before a strike
hit its targets. This was supposed to eliminate false-detection
errors.