I used to get high on life but lately I've built up a resistance.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasersBTR1701
+* Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasersanim8rfsk
|+* Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasersBTR1701
||`- Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasersanim8rfsk
|`* Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasersBTR1701
| `* Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasersanim8rfsk
|  +* Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasersBTR1701
|  |+* Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasersUbiquitous
|  ||+* Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasersBTR1701
|  |||`- Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasersUbiquitous
|  ||`- Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasersanim8rfsk
|  |`* Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasersBTR1701
|  | `* Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasersanim8rfsk
|  |  `* Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasersBTR1701
|  |   `- Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasersanim8rfsk
|  `* Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasersA Friend
|   `- Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasersanim8rfsk
`* Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasersUbiquitous
 `* Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasersBTR1701
  +* Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasersanim8rfsk
  |`- Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasersUbiquitous
  `- Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasersUbiquitous

1
Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers

<fNudnbcgQuXQ3nL-nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175721&group=rec.arts.tv#175721

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 09:05:17 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 09:05 UTC

On Feb 16, 2023 at 11:55:22 PM PST, "RichA" <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why? Because it seems that in the time it takes for one phaser shot to go
> from the phaser to the target, you could unleash and deliver at least 20
> .223 bullets.
> Other than that, the plot of this new one looks promising.

But you can hold down the trigger and send out a constant phaser beam, then
sweep it across your enemies, cutting them all in half in seconds. One guy
could take on dozens.

Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers

<1266429624.698340439.708442.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175740&group=rec.arts.tv#175740

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 10:07:58 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 17:07 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2023 at 11:55:22 PM PST, "RichA" <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Why? Because it seems that in the time it takes for one phaser shot to go
> from the phaser to the target, you could unleash and deliver at least 20
> .223 bullets.
>> Other than that, the plot of this new one looks promising.
>
> But you can hold down the trigger and send out a constant phaser beam, then
sweep it across your enemies, cutting them all in half in seconds. One guy
could take on dozens.

Not if you’re a girl. Much less the stupidest and most incompetent and
ugliest doctor in Starfleet. And now she looks like the mother from BRAZIL.

For some bizarre reason this is a remake of Star Trek the motion picture
with hunks of a couple other Real Star Trek movies tossed in using the
original Star Trek music.

Picard (who has shrunk down so much she looks like your ancient grandfather
at Thanksgiving, who can barely reach the table) is Kirk, Frakes (who can
at least still act) is Spock, and seven of nine is Savik.

Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers

<atropos-826066.10012417022023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175746&group=rec.arts.tv#175746

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 10:01:24 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 18:01 UTC

In article
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 16, 2023 at 11:55:22 PM PST, "RichA" <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Why? Because it seems that in the time it takes for one phaser shot to go
> > from the phaser to the target, you could unleash and deliver at least 20
> > .223 bullets.
> >> Other than that, the plot of this new one looks promising.
> >
> > But you can hold down the trigger and send out a constant phaser
> > beam, then sweep it across your enemies, cutting them all in half in
> > seconds. One guy could take on dozens.
> >
> Not if you're a girl. Much less the stupidest and most incompetent and
> ugliest doctor in Starfleet. And now she looks like the mother from BRAZIL.
>
> For some bizarre reason this is a remake of Star Trek the motion picture
> with hunks of a couple other Real Star Trek movies tossed in using the
> original Star Trek music.
>
> Picard (who has shrunk down so much she looks like your ancient grandfather
> at Thanksgiving, who can barely reach the table) is Kirk, Frakes (who can
> at least still act) is Spock, and seven of nine is Savik.

That's Saavik with two a's, mister!

Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers

<280056836.698356721.649141.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175763&group=rec.arts.tv#175763

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 13:00:55 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 20:00 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> In article
> <1266429624.698340439.708442.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> from the phaser to the target, you could unleash and deliver at least 20
>>> .223 bullets.

>>> But you can hold down the trigger and send out a constant phaser
>>> beam, then sweep it across your enemies, cutting them all in half in
>>> seconds. One guy could take on dozens.
>>>
>> Not if you're a girl. Much less the stupidest and most incompetent and
>> ugliest doctor in Starfleet. And now she looks like the mother from BRAZIL.
>>
>> For some bizarre reason this is a remake of Star Trek the motion picture
>> with hunks of a couple other Real Star Trek movies tossed in using the
>> original Star Trek music.
>>
>> Picard (who has shrunk down so much she looks like your ancient grandfather
>> at Thanksgiving, who can barely reach the table) is Kirk, Frakes (who can
>> at least still act) is Spock, and seven of nine is Savik.
>
> That's Saavik with two a's, mister!

You know that. I know that. Spellcheck just wouldn’t let me do it. At least
I didn’t say Valeris

Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers

<tsoono$3nj3f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175768&group=rec.arts.tv#175768

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 15:40:24 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 20:40 UTC

atropos@mac.com wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2023 at 11:55:22 PM PST, "RichA" <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Why? Because it seems that in the time it takes for one phaser shot to go
>> from the phaser to the target, you could unleash and deliver at least 20
>> .223 bullets.
>> Other than that, the plot of this new one looks promising.
>
> But you can hold down the trigger and send out a constant phaser beam,
> then sweep it across your enemies, cutting them all in half in seconds.
> One guy could take on dozens.

You can? I'm having trouble remembering them do that, not that I could see
their hands.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers

<atropos-AF7AF8.13470617022023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175778&group=rec.arts.tv#175778

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 13:47:06 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 21:47 UTC

In article <tsoono$3nj3f$1@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> atropos@mac.com wrote:
> > On Feb 16, 2023 at 11:55:22 PM PST, "RichA" <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Why? Because it seems that in the time it takes for one phaser shot to go
> >> from the phaser to the target, you could unleash and deliver at least 20
> >> .223 bullets.
> >> Other than that, the plot of this new one looks promising.
> >
> > But you can hold down the trigger and send out a constant phaser beam,
> > then sweep it across your enemies, cutting them all in half in seconds.
> > One guy could take on dozens.
>
> You can? I'm having trouble remembering them do that, not that I could see
> their hands.

Sure. How many times did Kirk or Riker take out a phaser and heat up a
rock on continuous fire?

And the ship's phasers are nothing but continuous fire. Huge lancing
beams that sweep across the enemy ship.

Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers

<1635981932.698364545.335414.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175785&group=rec.arts.tv#175785

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 15:20:45 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 22:20 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> In article <tsoono$3nj3f$1@dont-email.me>,
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> atropos@mac.com wrote:

>>> But you can hold down the trigger and send out a constant phaser beam,
>>> then sweep it across your enemies, cutting them all in half in seconds.
>>> One guy could take on dozens.
>>
>> You can? I'm having trouble remembering them do that, not that I could see
>> their hands.
>
> Sure. How many times did Kirk or Riker take out a phaser and heat up a
> rock on continuous fire?
>
> And the ship's phasers are nothing but continuous fire. Huge lancing
> beams that sweep across the enemy ship.

In the second pilot Kirk use that phaser rifle on continuous fire to good
effect. So it’s always been like that.

https://trek.report/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/kirk-garay-phaser.jpg

Kirk (in the avocado green shirt) phasering the hell out of Gary Mitchell.

Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers

<tstnp3$f2sk$8@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176014&group=rec.arts.tv#176014

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 12:54:42 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 17:54 UTC

atropos@mac.com wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> atropos@mac.com wrote:

>>> But you can hold down the trigger and send out a constant phaser beam,
>>> then sweep it across your enemies, cutting them all in half in seconds.
>>> One guy could take on dozens.
>>
>> You can? I'm having trouble remembering them do that, not that I could see
>> their hands.
>
>Sure. How many times did Kirk or Riker take out a phaser and heat up a
>rock on continuous fire?

It's been awhile, but I thought they were shooting "long bursts", not a
continuous 30 second beam.

>And the ship's phasers are nothing but continuous fire. Huge lancing
>beams that sweep across the enemy ship.

Well, those aren't hand phaser.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers

<tstnss$f2sk$9@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176016&group=rec.arts.tv#176016

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 12:56:44 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 17:56 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>>> You can? I'm having trouble remembering them do that, not that I could
>>> see their hands.
>>
>> Sure. How many times did Kirk or Riker take out a phaser and heat up a
>> rock on continuous fire?
>>
>> And the ship's phasers are nothing but continuous fire. Huge lancing
>> beams that sweep across the enemy ship.
>
>In the second pilot Kirk use that phaser rifle on continuous fire to good
>effect. So it's always been like that.
>
>https://trek.report/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/kirk-garay-phaser.jpg

That's a _rifle_, not a hand phaser, but I guess it's good enough.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers

<yRednbG50uPHGG_-nZ2dnZfqnPUAAAAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176033&group=rec.arts.tv#176033

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 20:23:54 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 20:23 UTC

On Feb 17, 2023 at 9:07:58 AM PST, "anim8rfsk" <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 16, 2023 at 11:55:22 PM PST, "RichA" <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Why? Because it seems that in the time it takes for one phaser shot to go
>> from the phaser to the target, you could unleash and deliver at least 20
>> .223 bullets.
>>> Other than that, the plot of this new one looks promising.
>>
>> But you can hold down the trigger and send out a constant phaser beam, then
> sweep it across your enemies, cutting them all in half in seconds. One guy
> could take on dozens.
>>

> Not if you’re a girl. Much less the stupidest and most incompetent and
> ugliest doctor in Starfleet. And now she looks like the mother from BRAZIL.
>
> For some bizarre reason this is a remake of Star Trek the motion picture
> with hunks of a couple other Real Star Trek movies tossed in using the
> original Star Trek music.

And even some elements of the TNG movies. The scene where Picard and Riker are
stunned to see Georgie LaForgery's daughter at the helm was straight of
GENERATIONS where Kirk was amazed to see Sulu's daughter at the helm.

(LaForgery's kid was pretty cute, too. She may be in my pocket now.)

Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers

<18637449.698532252.991195.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176039&group=rec.arts.tv#176039

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 13:46:19 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 20:46 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> On Feb 17, 2023 at 9:07:58 AM PST, "anim8rfsk" <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> from the phaser to the target, you could unleash and deliver at least 20
>>> .223 bullets.
>>>
>>> But you can hold down the trigger and send out a constant phaser beam, then
>> sweep it across your enemies, cutting them all in half in seconds. One guy
>> could take on dozens.
>>>

>> Not if you’re a girl. Much less the stupidest and most incompetent and
>> ugliest doctor in Starfleet. And now she looks like the mother from BRAZIL.
>>
>> For some bizarre reason this is a remake of Star Trek the motion picture
>> with hunks of a couple other Real Star Trek movies tossed in using the
>> original Star Trek music.
>
> And even some elements of the TNG movies. The scene where Picard and Riker are
stunned to see Georgie LaForgery's daughter at the helm was straight of
GENERATIONS where Kirk was amazed to see Sulu's daughter at the helm.

> (LaForgery's kid was pretty cute, too. She may be in my pocket now.)

So do we think her mother is Leah Brahms?

Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers

<R26dnXjzO86QDm_-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176046&group=rec.arts.tv#176046

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 21:22:21 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 21:22 UTC

On Feb 19, 2023 at 12:46:19 PM PST, "anim8rfsk" <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> sweep it across your enemies, cutting them all in half in seconds. One guy
>>> could take on dozens.
>>>>

>>> Not if you’re a girl. Much less the stupidest and most incompetent and
>>> ugliest doctor in Starfleet. And now she looks like the mother from BRAZIL.
>>>
>>> For some bizarre reason this is a remake of Star Trek the motion picture
>>> with hunks of a couple other Real Star Trek movies tossed in using the
>>> original Star Trek music.
>>
>> And even some elements of the TNG movies. The scene where Picard and Riker
>> are
> stunned to see Georgie LaForgery's daughter at the helm was straight of
> GENERATIONS where Kirk was amazed to see Sulu's daughter at the helm.
>>
>> (LaForgery's kid was pretty cute, too. She may be in my pocket now.)
>>

> So do we think her mother is Leah Brahms?

Probably.

Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers

<190220231628360008%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176047&group=rec.arts.tv#176047

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 16:28:36 -0500
 by: A Friend - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 21:28 UTC

In article
<18637449.698532252.991195.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

> >> sweep it across your enemies, cutting them all in half in seconds. One guy
> >> could take on dozens.
> >>>

> >> Not if you¹re a girl. Much less the stupidest and most incompetent and
> >> ugliest doctor in Starfleet. And now she looks like the mother from BRAZIL.
> >>
> >> For some bizarre reason this is a remake of Star Trek the motion picture
> >> with hunks of a couple other Real Star Trek movies tossed in using the
> >> original Star Trek music.
> >
> > And even some elements of the TNG movies. The scene where Picard and Riker
> > are
> stunned to see Georgie LaForgery's daughter at the helm was straight of
> GENERATIONS where Kirk was amazed to see Sulu's daughter at the helm.
> >
> > (LaForgery's kid was pretty cute, too. She may be in my pocket now.)
> >

> So do we think her mother is Leah Brahms?

Maybe. In "All Good Things ...", we find out that the LaForge of an
alternative timeline married a woman named "Leah," and they had three
children: Alandra, Brett and Sydney.

Sulu's daughter was named Demora.

Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers

<4sWdnV78I7fcOW_-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176057&group=rec.arts.tv#176057

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 17:35:33 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 22:35 UTC

atropos@mac.com wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2023 at 12:46:19 PM PST, "anim8rfsk" <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> And even some elements of the TNG movies. The scene where Picard and Riker
>>> are stunned to see Georgie LaForgery's daughter at the helm was straight
>>> of GENERATIONS where Kirk was amazed to see Sulu's daughter at the helm.
>>>
>>> (LaForgery's kid was pretty cute, too. She may be in my pocket now.)
>>
>> So do we think her mother is Leah Brahms?
>
> Probably.

If memory serves, didn't we discover she was married when she visited the
Enterprise and Geordie didn't immediately delete and purge all signs of his
holo-romance with her?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers

<atropos-FE1614.14460419022023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176061&group=rec.arts.tv#176061

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 14:46:04 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 22:46 UTC

In article <4sWdnV78I7fcOW_-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>,
Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> atropos@mac.com wrote:

> >> So do we think her mother is Leah Brahms?
> >
> > Probably.
>
> If memory serves, didn't we discover she was married when she visited the
> Enterprise and Geordie didn't immediately delete and purge all signs of his
> holo-romance with her?

Yabbut by the end of the episode, she admitted they were about to split
up.

Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers

<atropos-457017.14555619022023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176063&group=rec.arts.tv#176063

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 14:55:56 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 22:55 UTC

In article <R26dnXjzO86QDm_-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>,
BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2023 at 12:46:19 PM PST, "anim8rfsk" <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

I had a problem with the captain of the Titan. He was *way* too much of
an asshole to two officers that outrank him.

Sure, Picard is a retired admiral, but he was nevertheless a 4-dot
admiral-- the highest rank in Starfleet-- and almost certainly retains a
lot of direct influence in Starfleet as well as indirect influence among
the highest levels of Starfleet, many of whom are his personal friends
and could scuttle this abrasive captain's career with the flick of a
PADD.

Riker is a captain, which seems to make them equivalent in rank, but
he's a senior captain with many years seniority and combat experience on
this guy, which means in any given situation, Riker outranks him.

For that guy to be so overtly hostile, condescending, and rude to two
officers who could have him shitcanned with barely an effort struck me
as something so abysmally stupid that it doesn't make sense he'd have
even achieved the rank of captain in the first place.
> >> And even some elements of the TNG movies. The scene where Picard and
> >> Riker
> >> are
> > stunned to see Georgie LaForgery's daughter at the helm was straight of
> > GENERATIONS where Kirk was amazed to see Sulu's daughter at the helm.
> >>
> >> (LaForgery's kid was pretty cute, too. She may be in my pocket now.)
> >>
> > So do we think her mother is Leah Brahms?
>
> Probably.

On further consideration, she was way too dark-complected to be the
product of a black guy and a white woman.

Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers

<1854476528.698563100.023493.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176084&group=rec.arts.tv#176084

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 23:04:28 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 06:04 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article
> <18637449.698532252.991195.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> And even some elements of the TNG movies. The scene where Picard and Riker
>>> are
>> stunned to see Georgie LaForgery's daughter at the helm was straight of
>> GENERATIONS where Kirk was amazed to see Sulu's daughter at the helm.
>>>
>>> (LaForgery's kid was pretty cute, too. She may be in my pocket now.)
>>>

>> So do we think her mother is Leah Brahms?
>

> Maybe. In "All Good Things ...", we find out that the LaForge of an
> alternative timeline married a woman named "Leah," and they had three
> children: Alandra, Brett and Sydney.
>
> Sulu's daughter was named Demora.

This characters name is Sydney.

Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers

<1756837185.698563128.929713.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176085&group=rec.arts.tv#176085

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 23:04:30 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 06:04 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> atropos@mac.com wrote:

>>> So do we think her mother is Leah Brahms?
>>
>> Probably.
>
> If memory serves, didn't we discover she was married when she visited the
> Enterprise and Geordie didn't immediately delete and purge all signs of his
> holo-romance with her?

Yes, she thought he was pretty creepy.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers

<1409905692.698563221.697639.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176086&group=rec.arts.tv#176086

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 23:04:31 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 06:04 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> In article <R26dnXjzO86QDm_-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>,
> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

> I had a problem with the captain of the Titan. He was *way* too much of
> an asshole to two officers that outrank him.

Yes. At least Riker bridled.

> Sure, Picard is a retired admiral, but he was nevertheless a 4-dot
> admiral-- the highest rank in Starfleet-- and almost certainly retains a
> lot of direct influence in Starfleet as well as indirect influence among
> the highest levels of Starfleet, many of whom are his personal friends
> and could scuttle this abrasive captain's career with the flick of a
> PADD.

On the other hand, Piccard is a Borg collaborator who helped murder
thousands of Federation citizens, including Ben Sisko’s wife. That probably
counts against his credibility some.

> Riker is a captain, which seems to make them equivalent in rank, but
> he's a senior captain with many years seniority and combat experience on
> this guy, which means in any given situation, Riker outranks him.

Yes.

> For that guy to be so overtly hostile, condescending, and rude to two
> officers who could have him shitcanned with barely an effort struck me
> as something so abysmally stupid that it doesn't make sense he'd have
> even achieved the rank of captain in the first place.

Since almost everything else in the episode was copy pasted by some of the
worst writers in the business, I wondered where they had found that.

>>> stunned to see Georgie LaForgery's daughter at the helm was straight of
>>> GENERATIONS where Kirk was amazed to see Sulu's daughter at the helm.

>>> So do we think her mother is Leah Brahms?
>>
>> Probably.
>
> On further consideration, she was way too dark-complected to be the
> product of a black guy and a white woman.

I always wonder about that when they cast a bunch of kids for a black
family, and some of them are lighter than either parent and some of them
are darker than either parent. See Lisa Bonet on Cosby. She was gorgeous,
but if I was the dad, I’d be checking the mothers date book. Same notation
for the inexplicable redheads like Danny Bonaduce.

Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers

<atropos-825FFE.22261119022023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176096&group=rec.arts.tv#176096

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
References: <31690c6b-dbfa-4a65-bc12-72174d4193ebn@googlegroups.com> <fNudnbcgQuXQ3nL-nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com> <1266429624.698340439.708442.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <yRednbG50uPHGG_-nZ2dnZfqnPUAAAAA@giganews.com> <18637449.698532252.991195.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <R26dnXjzO86QDm_-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com> <atropos-457017.14555619022023@news.giganews.com> <1409905692.698563221.697639.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 22:26:11 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 06:26 UTC

In article
<1409905692.698563221.697639.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> > In article <R26dnXjzO86QDm_-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>,
> > BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

> > I had a problem with the captain of the Titan. He was *way* too much of
> > an asshole to two officers that outrank him.
>
> Yes. At least Riker bridled.
>
> > Sure, Picard is a retired admiral, but he was nevertheless a 4-dot
> > admiral-- the highest rank in Starfleet-- and almost certainly retains a
> > lot of direct influence in Starfleet as well as indirect influence among
> > the highest levels of Starfleet, many of whom are his personal friends
> > and could scuttle this abrasive captain's career with the flick of a
> > PADD.
>
> On the other hand, Piccard is a Borg collaborator who helped murder
> thousands of Federation citizens, including Ben Sisko's wife. That probably
> counts against his credibility some.

Collaboration requires intent. I don't think anyone believes Picard intentionally worked with the Borg to destroy half the fleet and he has since then single-handedly repelled a second attack on Earth by the Borg both in the present and in the past, which likely resolved any remaining enmity or doubt over Wolf 359. Sure there may be a few Siskos still out there who irrationally blame him but the fact that he achieved the rank of 4-dot admiral before retiring suggests they are few and far between. A military organization doesn't elevate someone they believe to be a traitor into its highest ranks.

> > Riker is a captain, which seems to make them equivalent in rank, but
> > he's a senior captain with many years seniority and combat experience on
> > this guy, which means in any given situation, Riker outranks him.
> >
> Yes.
>
> > For that guy to be so overtly hostile, condescending, and rude to two
> > officers who could have him shitcanned with barely an effort struck me
> > as something so abysmally stupid that it doesn't make sense he'd have
> > even achieved the rank of captain in the first place.
>
> Since almost everything else in the episode was copy pasted by some of the
> worst writers in the business, I wondered where they had found that.

> >> Probably.
> >
> > On further consideration, she was way too dark-complected to be the
> > product of a black guy and a white woman.
> >
> I always wonder about that when they cast a bunch of kids for a black
> family, and some of them are lighter than either parent and some of them
> are darker than either parent. See Lisa Bonet on Cosby. She was gorgeous,
> but if I was the dad, I'd be checking the mothers date book. Same notation
> for the inexplicable redheads like Danny Bonaduce.

Yes, it's getting difficult to figure out stuff like this in shows now. Is the person who obviously can't be the son or daughter or brother or sister of another character actually supposed to look like that or is this more 'color blind casting' and we're supposed to pretend we don't notice that, short of adoption, those complexions don't really make sense.

Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers

<881781060.698572187.998083.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176099&group=rec.arts.tv#176099

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 00:54:54 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 07:54 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> In article
> <1409905692.698563221.697639.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> I had a problem with the captain of the Titan. He was *way* too much of
>>> an asshole to two officers that outrank him.
>>
>> Yes. At least Riker bridled.
>>
>>> Sure, Picard is a retired admiral, but he was nevertheless a 4-dot
>>> admiral-- the highest rank in Starfleet-- and almost certainly retains a
>>> lot of direct influence in Starfleet as well as indirect influence among
>>> the highest levels of Starfleet, many of whom are his personal friends
>>> and could scuttle this abrasive captain's career with the flick of a
>>> PADD.
>>
>> On the other hand, Piccard is a Borg collaborator who helped murder
>> thousands of Federation citizens, including Ben Sisko's wife. That probably
>> counts against his credibility some.
>
> Collaboration requires intent. I don't think anyone believes Picard
> intentionally worked with the Borg to destroy half the fleet and he has
> since then single-handedly repelled a second attack on Earth by the Borg
> both in the present and in the past, which likely resolved any remaining
> enmity or doubt over Wolf 359. Sure there may be a few Siskos still out
> there who irrationally blame him but the fact that he achieved the rank
> of 4-dot admiral before retiring suggests they are few and far between. A
> military organization doesn't elevate someone they believe to be a
> traitor into its highest ranks.

He murdered an awful lot of his own crew in First Contact, while screaming
that they couldn’t be saved, which was obviously a lie. Hell, he got Jim
Kirk killed.

And they elevated Jane way after she killed them all.

>>> Riker is a captain, which seems to make them equivalent in rank, but
>>> he's a senior captain with many years seniority and combat experience on
>>> this guy, which means in any given situation, Riker outranks him.
>>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> For that guy to be so overtly hostile, condescending, and rude to two
>>> officers who could have him shitcanned with barely an effort struck me
>>> as something so abysmally stupid that it doesn't make sense he'd have
>>> even achieved the rank of captain in the first place.
>>
>> Since almost everything else in the episode was copy pasted by some of the
>> worst writers in the business, I wondered where they had found that.

>>> On further consideration, she was way too dark-complected to be the
>>> product of a black guy and a white woman.
>>>
>> I always wonder about that when they cast a bunch of kids for a black
>> family, and some of them are lighter than either parent and some of them
>> are darker than either parent. See Lisa Bonet on Cosby. She was gorgeous,
>> but if I was the dad, I'd be checking the mothers date book. Same notation
>> for the inexplicable redheads like Danny Bonaduce.
>
> Yes, it's getting difficult to figure out stuff like this in shows now.
> Is the person who obviously can't be the son or daughter or brother or
> sister of another character actually supposed to look like that or is
> this more 'color blind casting' and we're supposed to pretend we don't
> notice that, short of adoption, those complexions don't really make sense.

Yep

Re: Star Trek: Picard. S3 Give me an m16 over phasers

<tsvp14$ot92$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176114&group=rec.arts.tv#176114

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 04:30:41 -0500
References: <31690c6b-dbfa-4a65-bc12-72174d4193ebn@googlegroups.com> <fNudnbcgQuXQ3nL-nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com> <1266429624.698340439.708442.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <yRednbG50uPHGG_-nZ2dnZfqnPUAAAAA@giganews.com> <18637449.698532252.991195.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <R26dnXjzO86QDm_-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com> <4sWdnV78I7fcOW_-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com> <atropos-FE1614.14460419022023@news.giganews.com>
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 09:30 UTC

atropos@mac.com wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> atropos@mac.com wrote:

>>> Probably.
>>
>> If memory serves, didn't we discover she was married when she visited the
>> Enterprise and Geordie didn't immediately delete and purge all signs of his
>> holo-romance with her?
>
>Yabbut by the end of the episode, she admitted they were about to split
>up.

Yuck, I bet Geordie made sure to take his next shoreleave whereever she lived
after the divorce.

--
Let's go Brandon!