The only certainty is that nothing is certain. -- Pliny the Elder

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Feb. 18-24: Robin’s selected programming

SubjectAuthor
* Feb. 18-24: Robin’s selectedanim8rfsk
+* Re: Feb. 18-24: Robin’s selectedanim8rfsk
|`* Valentine tv series (was: Feb. 18-24: Robin's selected programming)Adam H. Kerman
| `- Re: Valentine tv series (was: Feb. 18-24: Robin's selectedanim8rfsk
+- Re: Feb. 18-24: Robin’s selected programmingIan J. Ball
`* Re: Feb. 18-24: Robin???s selected programmingBTR1701
 +- Re: Feb. 18-24: Robin???s selected programmingAdam H. Kerman
 `- Re: Feb. 18-24: Robin’s selected programminRhino

1
Feb. 18-24: Robin’s selected programming

<1073510217.698396202.890802.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175832&group=rec.arts.tv#175832

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Feb. 18-24: Robin’s selected
programming
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 23:58:38 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 06:58 UTC

Feb. 18-24: Robin’s selected programming

Saturday, Feb. 18

Back to School With Gus Johnson (documentary) (7-8 pm, Fox)

Chronicles the legendary Fox Sports broadcaster's mid-life decision to
enroll at Harvard as an extension of his lifelong love of learning and
social impact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb0bnGfGQQU

Welcome to Valentine (movie) (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)

After losing her apartment and her job right before Valentine's Day, Olivia
is introduced to George, who takes her on a cross- country road trip that
has them reevaluating life's priorities. Stars Kathryn Davis and Markian
Tarasiuk.

https://www.hallmarkchannel.com/welcome-to-valentine

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt25391092/

Love in Aruba (movie) (8 pm, Great American Family)

At the end of a school year, teacher Amber meets Connor, a single dad
searching for a tutor and nanny for his daughter Macey. Amber joins Connor
overseas in Aruba, watching over Macey while Connor focuses on work. Connor
isn’t used to having a woman in the house again, but Amber’s sincerity
helps bridge their awkwardness and bring the family together. Stars
Sashaleigha Hightower and David Shawn McConnell. 2021 film available on
Freevee.

https://www.greatamericanfamily.com/movie/love-in-aruba/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15214902/

A Rose For Her Grave: The Randy Roth Story (movie) (8 pm,
Lifetime Channel)

Following the death of her husband, single mom Cindy (Laura Ramsey) finally
finds love again with mechanic Randy Roth (Colin Egglesfield) but her
wedded bliss soon turns dark when she discovers another side of Randy.
Despite the pleas of her best friend Lori (Chrishell Stause) to leave her
marriage, Cindy never gets that opportunity after she drowns during a trip
to a lake with Randy and the kids. Emotionless following Cindy’s death,
Randy orders her immediate cremation, takes custody of Cindy’s kids and
attempts to collect on her life insurance policy. Determined to honor Cindy
and find the truth, Lori uncovers more of Randy’s past, discovering that
Cindy may not have been the first wife murdered at his hands.

https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/a-rose-for-her-grave-the-randy-roth-story

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Roth

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt22075752/

Sunday, Feb. 19

Whindersson Nunes: Preaching to the Choir (comedy special)
(3:01 am, Netflix)

Mixed Baggage (movie) (7 pm, UPtv)

When Evie Jones accidentally grabs the wrong carry on bag on her flight,
her quest to find the rightful owner leads to a series of
misunderstandings, missed connections and, maybe, to the love of her life.
Stars Leanne Lapp and Spencer Lord.

https://uptv.com/movies/mixed-baggage/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21411840/

America's Funniest Home Videos (returns from hiatus) (7
pm, ABC)

Secret Society of Lies (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)

After being targeted by a secret fraternity, Chrissy, a brilliant young
woman on the verge of graduating, is determined to expose the boys and end
their reign of power. While working to expose the fraternity, Chrissy falls
in love with Nathan Martel, the charming and handsome son of the dean,
seemingly helping her every step of the way. However, Chrissy soon realizes
the fraternity has deep ties to the dean and high-ranking officials that
are willing to do whatever it takes to keep her quiet. Stars Kristen
Vaganos and Lukas Charles Stafford.

https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/secret-society-of-lies

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt20880984/

The Equalizer (winter premiere) (8 pm, CBS)

American Idol (season 21 premiere) (8-10 pm, ABC)

Magnum P.I. (season 5 premiere) (9 and 10 pm, two
episodes, NBC)

The series moves from CBS to NBC for its two-part fifth season, which
begins with back-to-back new episodes tonight. Regular time is 9 pm only.

All Creatures Great and Small (season 3 finale) (9 pm, PBS)

Why Can't My Life Be a Rom-Com? (movie) (9 pm, E!)

After years of bad boyfriends, Eliza decides to follow the rules of dating
from a 50-year old self-help book.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt26691995/

The Company You Keep [new] (10 pm, ABC)

A remake of the Korean series My Fellow Citizens centers on the romantic
and professional entanglements between a con man (Milo Ventimiglia) and a
CIA officer (Catherine Haena Kim).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OTrIwmdhCE

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-company-you-keep-2023/season-1 [score
71]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt18412092/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Company_You_Keep_(TV_series)

https://abc.com/shows/the-company-you-keep

Last Week Tonight With John Oliver (season 10 premiere) (11
pm, HBO)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S_jB7atu64

Monday, Feb. 20

Marc Marquez: All In [new; documentary miniseries] (12:01
am, Prime Video)

Tells the remarkable story of the eight-time MotoGP world champion. Five
episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjA1lLd2h5E

The Madame Blanc Mysteries (season 2 premiere) (3:01 am,
Acorn TV)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adgnuvZisPo

The Making of All Quiet on the Western Front (documentary)
(3:01 am, Netflix)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qP0Z04UrJY

https://www.netflix.com/title/81671528

Tuesday, Feb. 21

Kathleen Madigan: Hunting Bigfoot (comedy special) (12:01
am, Prime Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgJ-Ke4BJrE

Sommore: Queen Chandelier (comedy special) (3:01 am,
Netflix)

https://www.netflix.com/title/81663307

The Winchesters (new time slot) (8 pm, CW)

Moves from 9 pm.

La Brea (special time) (9 and 10 pm, two episodes,
NBC)

Season 2 concludes next Tuesday with episodes at 9 and 10 pm.

Wednesday, Feb. 22

Streaming:

Melody [new; complete season 1] (12:01 am, Prime Video)

A new thirteen-episode musical series starring Warner Music Latina artists
Yas Gagliardi as Melody and Sarah Lenore as Layla.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt25437934/

Murdaugh Murders: A Southern Scandal [new; complete documentary
miniseries] (3:01 am, Netflix)

The Murdaughs were one of South Carolina’s most prominent families, but the
death of teenager Mallory Beach in a drunken boating accident began the
unraveling of their legacy. When Paul Murdaugh--the alleged driver of the
boat--and his mother Maggie are found brutally murdered, a century of
corruption, power, and cover-ups in the Low Country is brought to light.
The three-part series will feature first-hand accounts from those on the
boat that fateful night, many of whom have not spoken about the crash or
double homicide of Maggie and Paul until now, including: Paul Murdaugh’s
longtime girlfriend, Morgan Doughty; Mallory Beach's childhood friends,
Miley Altman and Connor Cook; Mallory's boyfriend, Anthony Cook; and,
several others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aib52bSEpCQ

https://www.netflix.com/title/81519789

The Strays (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)

An upper-middle-class woman's perfectly-crafted life begins to unravel with
the arrival of two shadowy figures in her town. British film; 1h 40m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9_UteTT9wA

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16437278/

https://www.netflix.com/title/81444812/

Triptych [Triada] [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am,
Netflix)

Becca is a forensics expert who, when investigating a murder, realizes that
the body of the victim looks exactly like her. Mexican series; 8 episodes.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt20565150/

https://www.netflix.com/title/81494917/

The Low Tone Club [El club de los graves] [new; complete season 1]
(3:01 am, Disney+)

"The Low Tone Club" follows the story of Amaranto Molina (Columbian singer
Carlos Vives), an unconventional music teacher who starts teaching at a
music school that only encourages students who do well by commercial
success standards. Every year Principal Eduardo Kramer (Julián Arango),
chooses five students, nicknamed The High Tones, to be part of the school's
prestigious Teen Band. Molina, on the other hand, is put in charge of The
Low Tones, a group of students whose talents do not meet the school's
standards. With his disruptive methods, this eccentric teacher and The Low
Tones will embark on a music journey that will help heal wounds and inspire
each one of them to express their unique talents. Along the way, the
students will learn more about Mr. Molina and discover their teacher's
mysterious hidden past. Colombian series; 30-minute episodes.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Feb. 18-24: Robin’s selected programming

<1351221843.698405765.206099.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175846&group=rec.arts.tv#175846

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Feb. 18-24: Robin’s selected
programming
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 03:07:56 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 10:07 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> Feb. 18-24: Robin’s selected programming
>

> Saturday, Feb. 18
>

> Back to School With Gus Johnson (documentary) (7-8 pm, Fox)
>
> Chronicles the legendary Fox Sports broadcaster's mid-life decision to
> enroll at Harvard as an extension of his lifelong love of learning and
> social impact.

Gah. Hard pass.

> Welcome to Valentine (movie) (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)

No Jamie Murray, no Valentine!

> Love in Aruba (movie) (8 pm, Great American Family)

GAC

> Sunday, Feb. 19
>

> Whindersson Nunes: Preaching to the Choir (comedy special)
> (3:01 am, Netflix)

Dana Andrews said prunes.
Gave him Whindersson Nunes.
And passing them used lots of skills!

> Mixed Baggage (movie) (7 pm, UPtv)

But I can’t get up

> Monday, Feb. 20
>

> The Madame Blanc Mysteries (season 2 premiere) (3:01 am,
> Acorn TV)

But I can’t get acorns!

> Tuesday, Feb. 21

> Wednesday, Feb. 22
>

> Streaming:
>

> Broadcast and cable:

> Thursday, Feb. 23
>

> Streaming:
>

> Broadcast and cable:

> Friday, Feb. 24
>

> Streaming:
>

> Broadcast and cable:
>

> (end)

The pickings, they be slim.

But thanks, as always, Robin!

Valentine tv series (was: Feb. 18-24: Robin's selected programming)

<tsqji8$13e5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175878&group=rec.arts.tv#175878

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Valentine tv series (was: Feb. 18-24: Robin's selected programming)
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 13:24:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 13:24 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>>Welcome to Valentine (movie) (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)

>No Jamie Murray, no Valentine!

Did you see all the episodes? That was MRC taking over one night of
programming on the C-Wub. I was suspicious that the show had to produce
more episodes for foreign sales commitments but I have no idea. It ended
abruptly.

The title was a terrible mistake. It gave no hint to the viewer that
these were Greek gods.

It was different and some of the writing was pretty good. I was
entertained. We all know the C-Wub has aired much worse crap.

Re: Valentine tv series (was: Feb. 18-24: Robin's selected programming)

<79417387.698421149.511916.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175881&group=rec.arts.tv#175881

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Valentine tv series (was: Feb. 18-24: Robin's selected
programming)
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 06:55:01 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 13:55 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>> Welcome to Valentine (movie) (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)
>
>> No Jamie Murray, no Valentine!
>
> Did you see all the episodes? That was MRC taking over one night of
> programming on the C-Wub. I was suspicious that the show had to produce
> more episodes for foreign sales commitments but I have no idea. It ended
> abruptly.
>
> The title was a terrible mistake. It gave no hint to the viewer that
> these were Greek gods.
>
> It was different and some of the writing was pretty good. I was
> entertained. We all know the C-Wub has aired much worse crap.

I am pretty sure I didn’t see them all. I didn’t see any first run. I
didn’t know what it was about or that she was in it. I tracked some down
later either via the YouTube or the gray web.

Re: Feb. 18-24: Robin’s selected programming

<tsrc6r$48oq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175932&group=rec.arts.tv#175932

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re:_Feb._18-24:_Robin’s_selected_programming
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 12:24:59 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 20:24 UTC

On 2023-02-18 06:58:38 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Feb. 18-24: Robin’s selected programming
>

> Saturday, Feb. 18
>

> Welcome to Valentine (movie) (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)
>
> After losing her apartment and her job right before Valentine's Day, Olivia
> is introduced to George, who takes her on a cross- country road trip that
> has them reevaluating life's priorities. Stars Kathryn Davis and Markian
> Tarasiuk.

Kathryn Davis is one of those actresses who keeps getting cast in
these, but seems to make no impact on me. She might as well be a potted
plant.

> Love in Aruba (movie) (8 pm, Great American Family)
>
> At the end of a school year, teacher Amber meets Connor, a single dad
> searching for a tutor and nanny for his daughter Macey. Amber joins Connor
> overseas in Aruba, watching over Macey while Connor focuses on work. Connor
> isn’t used to having a woman in the house again, but Amber’s sincerity
> helps bridge their awkwardness and bring the family together. Stars
> Sashaleigha Hightower and David Shawn McConnell. 2021 film available on
> Freevee.

Wow - I've never heard of either. And GAFfe Channel is now reduced to
pulling in FreeVee retreads?!!

> A Rose For Her Grave: The Randy Roth Story (movie) (8 pm,
> Lifetime Channel)
>
> Following the death of her husband, single mom Cindy (Laura Ramsey) finally
> finds love again with mechanic Randy Roth (Colin Egglesfield) but her
> wedded bliss soon turns dark when she discovers another side of Randy.
> Despite the pleas of her best friend Lori (Chrishell Stause) to leave her
> marriage, Cindy never gets that opportunity after she drowns during a trip
> to a lake with Randy and the kids. Emotionless following Cindy’s death,
> Randy orders her immediate cremation, takes custody of Cindy’s kids and
> attempts to collect on her life insurance policy. Determined to honor Cindy
> and find the truth, Lori uncovers more of Randy’s past, discovering that
> Cindy may not have been the first wife murdered at his hands.

Will watch. But a couple of things about this surprise me:

1) That they are now putting Chrishell Stause in the lead of Lifetime
flicks (she doesn't strike me as "lead" material, though Lifetime
clearly seems to be going with lower-and-lower rung casting in most of
their TV movies lately!...). And,

2) That Laura Ramsey is in this!! She must have pretty much retired
from acting circa... 2012-ish? And now all of a sudden she's back?!...
Maybe she had kids and semi-retired from acting for a while?

> Sunday, Feb. 19
>

> Mixed Baggage (movie) (7 pm, UPtv)
>
> When Evie Jones accidentally grabs the wrong carry on bag on her flight,
> her quest to find the rightful owner leads to a series of
> misunderstandings, missed connections and, maybe, to the love of her life.
> Stars Leanne Lapp and Spencer Lord.

Ooo! I actually like Leanne Lapp (though I haven't checked to see if
her looks have help up...)

Anyway, I'll try to remember to check this out (even though UP is one
of my "low-def" channels that will likely be particularly painful to
watch on the new TV!!).

(Yep, I just checked another low-def channel: TeenNick - yeah, low-def
TeenNick looks pretty unwatchable on the new TV... :( ).

> Secret Society of Lies (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)
>
> After being targeted by a secret fraternity, Chrissy, a brilliant young
> woman on the verge of graduating, is determined to expose the boys and end
> their reign of power. While working to expose the fraternity, Chrissy falls
> in love with Nathan Martel, the charming and handsome son of the dean,
> seemingly helping her every step of the way. However, Chrissy soon realizes
> the fraternity has deep ties to the dean and high-ranking officials that
> are willing to do whatever it takes to keep her quiet. Stars Kristen
> Vaganos and Lukas Charles Stafford.

Vaganos is becoming another recent Lifetime staple.

I might watch this, were it not airing on Sunday night (I have to wake
up early Monday morning). But this one doesn't seem worth recording...
I'll try to catch a reairing later...

> The Equalizer (winter premiere) (8 pm, CBS)

No!!

> Magnum P.I. (season 5 premiere) (9 and 10 pm, two
> episodes, NBC)
>
> The series moves from CBS to NBC for its two-part fifth season, which
> begins with back-to-back new episodes tonight. Regular time is 9 pm only.

Aw, Hell, no!!

> Why Can't My Life Be a Rom-Com? (movie) (9 pm, E!)
>
> After years of bad boyfriends, Eliza decides to follow the rules of dating
> from a 50-year old self-help book.
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt26691995/

Starring Canadian actress Em Haine, who apparently was in some episodes
"The 100", "Fargo" (season 1?), "Van Helsing", (the terrible!)
"Chilling Adventures of Sabrina", and "Reginald the Vampire" (as "main
cast"), and was close to an extra in "Deadpool"!

So I've certainly seen this girl, but she's apparently made no impression!

> The Company You Keep [new] (10 pm, ABC)
>
> A remake of the Korean series My Fellow Citizens centers on the romantic
> and professional entanglements between a con man (Milo Ventimiglia) and a
> CIA officer (Catherine Haena Kim).

In the olden days of "network television", I likely would have watched
this show.

Nowadays? I won't even bother...

> Last Week Tonight With John Oliver (season 10 premiere) (11
> pm, HBO)

*Hate* 'im!!

> Monday, Feb. 20
>

> The Madame Blanc Mysteries (season 2 premiere) (3:01 am,
> Acorn TV)

Nobody gets Acorn, except for Robin!!

> Tuesday, Feb. 21
>

> The Winchesters (new time slot) (8 pm, CW)
>
> Moves from 9 pm.

Zzzzzzzz.....

> La Brea (special time) (9 and 10 pm, two episodes,
> NBC)
>
> Season 2 concludes next Tuesday with episodes at 9 and 10 pm.

Boo!

> Wednesday, Feb. 22
>

> Streaming:
>

> The Strays (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> An upper-middle-class woman's perfectly-crafted life begins to unravel with
> the arrival of two shadowy figures in her town. British film; 1h 40m.

Oh! Starring Ashley Madekwe!! (Who looks so old now!... :( )

> Thursday, Feb. 23
>

> Streaming:
>

> Outer Banks (season 3 premiere) (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> 10 episodes.

Never made it back after season #1... [shrug]

> Bel-Air (season 2 premiere) (3:01 am, Peacock)
>
> Fresh Prince of Bel-Air regular Tatyana Ali joins the cast in season 2. Ten
> episodes; three episodes stream today, followed by weekly single-episode
> installments.

The promos to this make it look terrible.

> Black Snow [new to US] (3:01 am, Sundance Now)
>
> In 1994, seventeen-year-old Isabel Baker was murdered The crime shocked the
> small Australian town, devastating Isabel's South Sea Islander community.
> The case was never solved, and the killer never found. But 25 years later,
> the opening of a time capsule unearth a secret that puts cold-case
> Detective James Cormack on the trail of the killer. Australian series; 6
> episodes.

Wait - Is this a real case, or fictional? And, if it's real, is this a
documentary, or a fictionalized scripted account?!

> Broadcast and cable:
>

> Her Affair to Die For (movie) (8 pm, LMN)
>
> A young woman’s dad becomes the obsession of her seductive roommate who
> will stop at nothing to possess him. Stars Meghan Carrasquillo and Ryan
> Francis.

This looks like it might be... *OK* (just).

> Station 19 (winter premiere) (8 pm, ABC)

Worst show on TeeVee!?!...

> Friday, Feb. 24
>

> Streaming:
>

> Bruiser (movie) (12:01 am, Hulu)
>
> 14-year-old Darious (Jalyn Hall) explores the boundaries of his manhood
> through tumultuous interactions with Malcolm (Shamier Anderson), his strict
> but loving father, and Porter (Trevante Rhodes), a charismatic drifter.
> When Darious learns Porter’s true identity, he is thrust into a conflict
> between the two men that may rip his family apart. 97 minutes.

This doesn't seem like a lot to go on...

> The Consultant [new; complete season 1] (12:01 am, Prime
> Video)
>
> A darkly comedic workplace thriller based on the 2015 novel by Bentley
> Little, The Consultant stars Christoph Waltz as Regus Patoff, a sociopathic
> consultant brought in to improve business at—and basically run—a mobile
> gaming studio in Los Angeles. Brittany O’Grady, Nat Wolff, and Aimee
> Carrero also star. All eight episodes stream today.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Feb. 18-24: Robin???s selected programming

<atropos-6ECB62.10141020022023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176130&group=rec.arts.tv#176130

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 10:14:10 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 18:14 UTC

In article
<1073510217.698396202.890802.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> Feb. 18-24: Robin's selected programming

> THE CONSULTANT [new; complete season 1] (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>
> A darkly comedic workplace thriller based on the 2015 novel by Bentley
> Little, The Consultant stars Christoph Waltz as Regus Patoff, a sociopathic
> consultant brought in to improve business at—and basically run—a mobile
> gaming studio in Los Angeles. Brittany O'Grady, Nat Wolff, and Aimee
> Carrero also star. All eight episodes stream today.

This may be the first adaptation of one of Little's novels I've seen.
His stories always take something annoying but normal-- big box stores,
banks, homeowners associations, vacation resorts, etc.-- and twist them
into something evil and terrifying.

Looking forward to seeing how they do with this.

> We Have a Ghost (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> Finding a ghost named Ernest haunting their new home turns Kevin's family
> into overnight social media sensations. But when Kevin and Ernest go rogue
> to investigate the mystery of Ernest's past, they become a target of the
> CIA. David Harbour, Anthony Mackie, Tig Notaro, and Jennifer Coolidge star
> in an adaptation of Geoff Manaugh's short story. 2h 6m.

What the frak is it with this Coolidge woman?

She's in everything now. Every time I start a new show, there's about a
50% chance she's going to pop up in it at some point.

I have no idea why she's so lauded and celebrated. She's incredibly
off-putting, her acting style basically boils down to her squinting like
she's trying to read something far away, and whining a lot. She's not
attractive and has a voice only slightly less grating than Fran
Drescher, yet Hollywood seems to be treating her like she's the next
Meryl Streep or something.

As far as I'm concerned, she peaked in AMERICAN PIE as Stifler's Mom.

Re: Feb. 18-24: Robin???s selected programming

<tt0eer$r21i$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176132&group=rec.arts.tv#176132

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 18:34:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 18:34 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>>Feb. 18-24: Robin's selected programming

>>THE CONSULTANT [new; complete season 1] (12:01 am, Prime Video)

>>A darkly comedic workplace thriller based on the 2015 novel by Bentley
>>Little, The Consultant stars Christoph Waltz as Regus Patoff, a sociopathic
>>consultant brought in to improve business at-and basically run-a mobile
>>gaming studio in Los Angeles. Brittany O'Grady, Nat Wolff, and Aimee
>>Carrero also star. All eight episodes stream today.

>This may be the first adaptation of one of Little's novels I've seen.
>His stories always take something annoying but normal-- big box stores,
>banks, homeowners associations, vacation resorts, etc.-- and twist them
>into something evil and terrifying.

Doesn't sound all that different than real life.

>Looking forward to seeing how they do with this.

That does sound fun. Some Prime stuff gets released on home video.

Re: Feb. 18-24: Robin’s selected programming

<tt0gn5$q6in$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176141&group=rec.arts.tv#176141

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re:_Feb._18-24:_Robin’s_selected_programmin
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 14:12:34 -0500
 by: Rhino - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 19:12 UTC

On 2023-02-20 1:14 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article
> <1073510217.698396202.890802.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Feb. 18-24: Robin's selected programming
>
>> THE CONSULTANT [new; complete season 1] (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>>
>> A darkly comedic workplace thriller based on the 2015 novel by Bentley
>> Little, The Consultant stars Christoph Waltz as Regus Patoff, a sociopathic
>> consultant brought in to improve business at—and basically run—a mobile
>> gaming studio in Los Angeles. Brittany O'Grady, Nat Wolff, and Aimee
>> Carrero also star. All eight episodes stream today.
>
> This may be the first adaptation of one of Little's novels I've seen.
> His stories always take something annoying but normal-- big box stores,
> banks, homeowners associations, vacation resorts, etc.-- and twist them
> into something evil and terrifying.
>
> Looking forward to seeing how they do with this.
>
>> We Have a Ghost (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
>>
>> Finding a ghost named Ernest haunting their new home turns Kevin's family
>> into overnight social media sensations. But when Kevin and Ernest go rogue
>> to investigate the mystery of Ernest's past, they become a target of the
>> CIA. David Harbour, Anthony Mackie, Tig Notaro, and Jennifer Coolidge star
>> in an adaptation of Geoff Manaugh's short story. 2h 6m.
>
> What the frak is it with this Coolidge woman?
>
> She's in everything now. Every time I start a new show, there's about a
> 50% chance she's going to pop up in it at some point.
>
> I have no idea why she's so lauded and celebrated. She's incredibly
> off-putting, her acting style basically boils down to her squinting like
> she's trying to read something far away, and whining a lot. She's not
> attractive and has a voice only slightly less grating than Fran
> Drescher, yet Hollywood seems to be treating her like she's the next
> Meryl Streep or something.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, she peaked in AMERICAN PIE as Stifler's Mom.

I cringed every time she appeared in Two Broke Girls as the Polish
neighbour Sophie (and love interest to the Russian cook, Oleg.) I too
found her incredibly off-putting; she ruined every scene. I am just as
baffled by you as to why she appears to be a big name now. Just the
other day, I saw that IMDB was referring to her as one of the best
character actors in the business.

--
Rhino