You can't get there from here.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-18 (Saturday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-02-18 (Saturday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-18 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
|+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-18 (Saturday)Ubiquitous
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-18 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-18 (Saturday)Adam H. Kerman
|  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-18 (Saturday)Adam H. Kerman
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-18 (Saturday)Bering Sea Bar & Brig

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-02-18 (Saturday)

<UBI20230218@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175983&group=rec.arts.tv#175983

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-18 (Saturday)
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 04:30:40 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 09:30 UTC

After working overtime, I watched:

PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES:
A weird sci-fi movie about astronaughts wearing leather gear on a foggy
planey that was brilliantly lit with red, orange, and purple lights. I
lost interest and will catch it the next time it's on ScreenPix.

MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATRE 3000:
"City on Fire". This first season ep featured a star-studded made-for-
TV movie in which a disgruntled employee sabotages an oil refinery set
in the middle of a large city, causing an inferno that puts the whole
city at risk. Strangely, it seemed like the fire was restricted to one
movie set and spent an awful lot of time focised on people escaping
from a hospital without bursting into flames. Sadly, Shelly Winters
died when the flaming wall of a building fell on her while trying to
escape.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-18 (Saturday)

<tstkcl$eopr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176002&group=rec.arts.tv#176002

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-18 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 08:56:53 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 16:56 UTC

On 2023-02-19 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> After working overtime, I watched:
>
> PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES:
> A weird sci-fi movie about astronaughts wearing leather gear on a foggy
> planey that was brilliantly lit with red, orange, and purple lights. I
> lost interest and will catch it the next time it's on ScreenPix.

Nobody gets ScreenPix/MGM+(/Epix)!!1!

> What did you watch?

I should have gotten work done yesterday. I got no work done
yesterday!! (Weill, I did get halfway through a required online
training... But that was it!)

So, I watched:

golf - Day 3 at the "Genesis "Invitational"" (what used to be the "L.A.
Open"!) There's dog fight for first among three golfers (Rahm, Homa and
Mitchell), with Cantlay and Gary Woodland just behind them. Looks like
Collin Morikawa stumbled near the end when I wasn't paying attention.
Tiger is also playing this one, and is doing OK, considering he must
be mostly robot parts by now!

soaps: GH - Aunt Stella doesn't reveal the secret to Trina, but let's
Trina know there is a secret to be had, and Trina goes with Spencer to
confront her mother at the wedding reception. Meanwhile, in England,
Sam figures out who Esme's former nanny, Maggie Fitzgerald(?), is...
Meanwhile, Heather Webber intends to escape with Esme, and Ryan
Chamberlain kills somebody to make it happen.

A Rose For Her Grave: The Randy Roth Story (Lifetime) - This was
done... weirdly. The actual case is from the 1980s, but the film is set
in an "indeterminate" time where it could be now, or maybe it could be
earlier than now.
They also make weird, seemingly unnecessary changes from the real
story, like Cynthia Roth having two sons in real life, but only one in
the movie.
Anyway, this was a pretty decent true-life docudrama, if you account
for the usual liberties... Though, apparently, Roth did seduce a
friend's teenage daughter, which I suspected the movie had made up.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-18 (Saturday)

<tstn7e$f2sk$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176010&group=rec.arts.tv#176010

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 12:45:17 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 17:45 UTC

In article <tstkcl$eopr$1@dont-email.me>, IJBall@mac.invalid wrote:
> On 2023-02-19 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>> After working overtime, I watched:

>> PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES:
>> A weird sci-fi movie about astronaughts wearing leather gear on a foggy
>> planey that was brilliantly lit with red, orange, and purple lights. I
>> lost interest and will catch it the next time it's on ScreenPix.
>
> Nobody gets ScreenPix/MGM+(/Epix)!!1!

But anim8rfsk gets Starz!

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-18 (Saturday)

<tstqn5$fi19$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176023&group=rec.arts.tv#176023

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:39:44 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 18:39 UTC

On 2/19/2023 8:56 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2023-02-19 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> After working overtime, I watched:
>>
>> PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES:
>> A weird sci-fi movie about astronaughts wearing leather gear on a foggy
>> planey that was brilliantly lit with red, orange, and purple lights. I
>> lost interest and will catch it the next time it's on ScreenPix.
>
> Nobody gets ScreenPix/MGM+(/Epix)!!1!

Comcast used to give Epix for free. I think they dropped Epix and added
ScreenPix as a free alternative. I'm not sure. But I do know I used to
get Epix for free and now I get ScreenPix. MGM+ requires a subscription.

>> What did you watch?
>
> I should have gotten work done yesterday. I got no work done yesterday!!
> (Weill, I did get halfway through a required online training... But that
> was it!)
>
> So, I watched:
>
> golf - Day 3 at the "Genesis "Invitational"" (what used to be the "L.A.
> Open"!) There's dog fight for first among three golfers (Rahm, Homa and
> Mitchell), with Cantlay and Gary Woodland just behind them. Looks like
> Collin Morikawa stumbled near the end when I wasn't paying attention.
>   Tiger is also playing this one, and is doing OK, considering he must
> be mostly robot parts by now!
>
> soaps: GH - Aunt Stella doesn't reveal the secret to Trina, but let's
> Trina know there is a secret to be had, and Trina goes with Spencer to
> confront her mother at the wedding reception. Meanwhile, in England, Sam
> figures out who Esme's former nanny, Maggie Fitzgerald(?), is...
> Meanwhile, Heather Webber intends to escape with Esme, and Ryan
> Chamberlain kills somebody to make it happen.
>
> A Rose For Her Grave: The Randy Roth Story (Lifetime) - This was done...
> weirdly. The actual case is from the 1980s, but the film is set in an
> "indeterminate" time where it could be now, or maybe it could be earlier
> than now.
>   They also make weird, seemingly unnecessary changes from the real
> story, like Cynthia Roth having two sons in real life, but only one in
> the movie.

Economy of characters? I would agree it makes no sense to add a second
son, but deleting one seems OK unless his presence is essential to the
story.

>   Anyway, this was a pretty decent true-life docudrama, if you account
> for the usual liberties... Though, apparently, Roth did seduce a
> friend's teenage daughter, which I suspected the movie had made up.

I watched:

The Ark - "Get Out and Push" - There is already a thread on this. I'm
still trying to get over the visual effects shot of the spaceship,
apparently turning on a dime.

The Little Prince (Amazon Prime streaming) 1974 musical starring Bob
Fosse and Gene Wilder. It based on the popular book about a little boy
who travels the universe hoping from planet to planet until he finally
makes his to Earth. I had a bunch of saved up Amazon credits about to
expire and I was looking for something I could spend the credits on that
I otherwise could not stream for free anywhere else. I only found a
handful of movies that met that criteria and this one won out. I
haven't watched it in forever, but always liked it. It held up very well.

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (theatrical) - I caught this a second
time, this time in IMAX 3D. The first time I watched it I kept thinking
to myself the movie would look so much better in 3D. Sure enough, it
does look a *lot* better in 3D. The overall aesthetic design of the
quantum world just screams to be seen in 3D on a large screen. I'm also
now 100% sure those plot holes I caught on the first viewing were not in
the original script or cut of the movie. I'll dance around spoilers
here, but I think after a test screening they went back and changed the
ending. Or more likely tacked on a different ending. It's blatantly
obvious now to me the way a certain scene ends very abruptly and
suddenly they are in a completely different location with a voice over.
And that's the point in the movie where the plot holes show up. But
other than that, the movie held up on second viewing.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-18 (Saturday)

<tsubaf$h5mn$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176070&group=rec.arts.tv#176070

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 23:28:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 23:28 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>On 2/19/2023 8:56 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>>On 2023-02-19 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

>>>After working overtime, I watched:

>>>PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES:
>>>A weird sci-fi movie about astronaughts wearing leather gear on a foggy
>>>planey that was brilliantly lit with red, orange, and purple lights. I
>>>lost interest and will catch it the next time it's on ScreenPix.

>>Nobody gets ScreenPix/MGM+(/Epix)!!1!

>Comcast used to give Epix for free. I think they dropped Epix and added
>ScreenPix as a free alternative. I'm not sure. But I do know I used to
>get Epix for free and now I get ScreenPix. MGM+ requires a subscription.

I never got Epix for free. I had a big movie channel package with HBO,
Cinemax, Showtime (but not TMC), and Starz. The parent of Starz kept
raising its per-household pass charge (satellite channels are
compensated on the number of households passed by the cable distributor
with some weighting for the number of households that actually subscribe
to cable, then whether it's included as basic or premium) and moved it
into its separate premium tier. Then Encore got moved out of a middle
tier into a premium tier with STARZ.

Epix was a substitute for Encore on that middle tier as MGM was being
more competitively priced.

Was ScreenPix offered to basic cable subscribers? You could be right.

Mostly I have to watch the two as On Demand services, otherwise the
movies are in SD. Sometimes they make HD available On Demand but not
always.

Someone must have yelled at them for including all that cheaply produced
Italian erotica from the early 1970s. (It wasn't pr0n; it was art.) I'm
sure they were paying a nickel per movie but damn, some of those Italian
actresses were absolutely gorgeous. And naked. Usually the movies were
dubbed but it's not like the dialogue mattered. In Italy, these movies
were just shown at neighborhood movie theaters. Italy had no Hays Code.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-18 (Saturday)

<tsuc8b$hbdg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176071&group=rec.arts.tv#176071

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 23:44:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 23:44 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>>Nobody gets ScreenPix/MGM+(/Epix)!!1!

>>Comcast used to give Epix for free. I think they dropped Epix and added
>>ScreenPix as a free alternative. I'm not sure. But I do know I used to
>>get Epix for free and now I get ScreenPix. MGM+ requires a subscription.

>I never got Epix for free. I had a big movie channel package with HBO,
>Cinemax, Showtime (but not TMC), and Starz. The parent of Starz kept
>raising its per-household pass charge (satellite channels are
>compensated on the number of households passed by the cable distributor
>with some weighting for the number of households that actually subscribe
>to cable, then whether it's included as basic or premium) and moved it
>into its separate premium tier. Then Encore got moved out of a middle
>tier into a premium tier with STARZ.

>Epix was a substitute for Encore on that middle tier as MGM was being
>more competitively priced.

>Was ScreenPix offered to basic cable subscribers? You could be right.

>Mostly I have to watch the two as On Demand services, otherwise the
>movies are in SD. Sometimes they make HD available On Demand but not
>always.

>Someone must have yelled at them for including all that cheaply produced
>Italian erotica from the early 1970s. (It wasn't pr0n; it was art.) I'm
>sure they were paying a nickel per movie but damn, some of those Italian
>actresses were absolutely gorgeous. And naked. Usually the movies were
>dubbed but it's not like the dialogue mattered. In Italy, these movies
>were just shown at neighborhood movie theaters. Italy had no Hays Code.

Sorry. I misspoke. These weren't considered to be mainstream movies. Pr0n
was still illegal but these erotic comedies were tolerated. Within 10 or
15 years, there was nudity in mainstream movies and the genre went away.

Everyone has seen La Liceale that introduced Gloria Guida, I assume?
There were sequels but I never saw any. Good heavens. I just read that
Laura Antonelli died. Several of her movies were revived for the, er,
art house circuit when I was in college.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-18 (Saturday)

<78baec1e-f2d7-4c5b-8b27-402b41e0d9e3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176181&group=rec.arts.tv#176181

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 16:38:40 -0800 (PST)
From: jgrov...@hotmail.com (Bering Sea Bar & Brig)
 by: Bering Sea Bar & - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 00:38 UTC

On Sunday, February 19, 2023 at 8:53:17 AM UTC-6, Ubiquitous wrote:
> After working overtime, I watched:
>
> PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES:
> A weird sci-fi movie about astronaughts wearing leather gear on a foggy
> planey that was brilliantly lit with red, orange, and purple lights. I
> lost interest and will catch it the next time it's on ScreenPix.
>
> MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATRE 3000:
> "City on Fire". This first season ep featured a star-studded made-for-
> TV movie in which a disgruntled employee sabotages an oil refinery set
> in the middle of a large city, causing an inferno that puts the whole
> city at risk. Strangely, it seemed like the fire was restricted to one
> movie set and spent an awful lot of time focised on people escaping
> from a hospital without bursting into flames. Sadly, Shelly Winters
> died when the flaming wall of a building fell on her while trying to
> escape.
>
> What did you watch?
>
> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Full Throttle Saloon on Quest. Covered the Mensa Symposium in Sturgis, nope just biker weirdness.
I'm out of movies to watch on dvd.