He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know. -- Lao Tsu

arts / rec.arts.tv / death of Barbara Bosson

SubjectAuthor
* death of Barbara BossonAdam H. Kerman
+* Re: death of Barbara BossonIan J. Ball
|`* Re: death of Barbara Bossonanim8rfsk
| `* Re: death of Barbara BossonA Friend
|  `- Re: death of Barbara Bossonanim8rfsk
+- Re: death of Barbara Bossonanim8rfsk
`* Re: death of Barbara BossonRhino
 `* The Worthless Entertainment Media (was: death of Barbara Bosson)Ian J. Ball
  `- Re: The Worthless Entertainment Media (was: death of Barbara Bosson)anim8rfsk

1
death of Barbara Bosson

<tt15k4$tkpj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176188&group=rec.arts.tv#176188

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: death of Barbara Bosson
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 01:09:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 01:09 UTC

another of anim's favorites

https://deadline.com/2023/02/barbara-bosson-dies-star-of-hill-street-blues-was-8
3-1235265829/

Note that the obit sez she was nominated for 5 consecutive Emmys. The
Emmys have always been a joke.

Re: death of Barbara Bosson

<tt164a$tmuk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176189&group=rec.arts.tv#176189

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: death of Barbara Bosson
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 17:18:02 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 01:18 UTC

On 2023-02-21 01:09:24 +0000, Adam H. Kerman said:

> another of anim's favorites
>
> https://deadline.com/2023/02/barbara-bosson-dies-star-of-hill-street-blues-was-8
>
> 3-1235265829/
>
> Note that the obit sez she was nominated for 5 consecutive Emmys. The
> Emmys have always been a joke.

Yeah, I kind of always disliked her. I mean, not "seriously" disliked
her. But there was always something about her that put me off...

Still, 83 years old is a good run. Though I don't think I've seen her
on TV since.. what? the 1990s?

Re: death of Barbara Bosson

<727082627.698646158.624174.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176205&group=rec.arts.tv#176205

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 22:30:41 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 05:30 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-02-21 01:09:24 +0000, Adam H. Kerman said:
>
>> another of anim's favorites
>>
>> https://deadline.com/2023/02/barbara-bosson-dies-star-of-hill-street-blues-was-8
>>
>> 3-1235265829/
>>
>> Note that the obit sez she was nominated for 5 consecutive Emmys. The
>> Emmys have always been a joke.
>
> Yeah, I kind of always disliked her. I mean, not "seriously" disliked
> her. But there was always something about her that put me off...

Me too until I read an interview with her sister-in-law (actress, Joanna
Frank, who is married in turn to actor Alan Rachins from LA Law) who really
didn’t like her and said she felt sorry for her brother being married to
her and how she made him give her a job in all his shows. Then I seriously
disliked her.

Hey, wasn’t there supposed to be a new terrible LA Law remake?

> Still, 83 years old is a good run. Though I don't think I've seen her
> on TV since.. what? the 1990s?

Re: death of Barbara Bosson

<895760559.698646975.008715.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176206&group=rec.arts.tv#176206

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 22:30:42 -0700

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> another of anim's favorites
>
> https://deadline.com/2023/02/barbara-bosson-dies-star-of-hill-street-blues-was-8
> 3-1235265829/
>
> Note that the obit sez she was nominated for 5 consecutive Emmys. The
> Emmys have always been a joke.

All for Hill Street Blues. “Outstanding supporting actress in a drama
series” Which is weird given that that was basically a walk on character.
At least she never won. Did Bochco actually wield that kind of power? How
do you even rig something like that that’s a secret ballot amongst hundreds
of people?

Speaking of rigging and fish, somehow Jada managed to rig the IMDb.
Ordinarily, the cast is listed in order of how many episodes they were in,
but after her Emmy flap, the show brought her character back from the dead,
and the listings for GOTHAM put her in second place even though she should
be in 18th!

Re: death of Barbara Bosson

<210220230804584466%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176234&group=rec.arts.tv#176234

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 08:04:58 -0500
 by: A Friend - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 13:04 UTC

In article
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> > On 2023-02-21 01:09:24 +0000, Adam H. Kerman said:
> >
> >> another of anim's favorites
> >>

> >> https://deadline.com/2023/02/barbara-bosson-dies-star-of-hill-street-blues-
> >> was-8
> >>
> >> 3-1235265829/
> >>
> >> Note that the obit sez she was nominated for 5 consecutive Emmys. The
> >> Emmys have always been a joke.
> >
> > Yeah, I kind of always disliked her. I mean, not "seriously" disliked
> > her. But there was always something about her that put me off...
> >

> Me too until I read an interview with her sister-in-law (actress, Joanna
> Frank,

The "bee girl" in an episode of The (original) Outer Limits.

> who is married in turn to actor Alan Rachins from LA Law) who really
> didn¹t like her and said she felt sorry for her brother being married to
> her and how she made him give her a job in all his shows. Then I seriously
> disliked her.
>
> Hey, wasn¹t there supposed to be a new terrible LA Law remake?
>

> > Still, 83 years old is a good run. Though I don't think I've seen her
> > on TV since.. what? the 1990s?

Re: death of Barbara Bosson

<tt2l8n$15c07$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176242&group=rec.arts.tv#176242

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 09:42:25 -0500
 by: Rhino - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 14:42 UTC

On 2023-02-20 8:09 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> another of anim's favorites
>
> https://deadline.com/2023/02/barbara-bosson-dies-star-of-hill-street-blues-was-8
> 3-1235265829/
>
> Note that the obit sez she was nominated for 5 consecutive Emmys. The
> Emmys have always been a joke.

The headline of the article seemed like a real stretch to me. She was a
recurring character in Hill Street Blues for a while; I don't think that
is the same as a "star" of the show. Then again, the word "star" has
been used awfully loosely for quite a few years now....

--
Rhino

The Worthless Entertainment Media (was: death of Barbara Bosson)

<tt2n68$15t4r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176245&group=rec.arts.tv#176245

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: The Worthless Entertainment Media (was: death of Barbara Bosson)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 07:15:20 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 15:15 UTC

On 2023-02-21 14:42:25 +0000, Rhino said:

> On 2023-02-20 8:09 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>> another of anim's favorites
>>
>> https://deadline.com/2023/02/barbara-bosson-dies-star-of-hill-street-blues-was-8
>>
>> 3-1235265829/
>>
>> Note that the obit sez she was nominated for 5 consecutive Emmys. The
>> Emmys have always been a joke.
>
> The headline of the article seemed like a real stretch to me. She was a
> recurring character in Hill Street Blues for a while; I don't think
> that is the same as a "star" of the show. Then again, the word "star"
> has been used awfully loosely for quite a few years now....

The "entertainment media" is worthless - they routinely can't get basic
stuff correct, like the difference between "recurring" and "guest"
stars, or the difference between a TV show's (forced) "cancellation"
and a TV show organically "ending" (by general agreement among the
parties), or the difference between a true "TV network" (e.g. ABC, CBS)
and a (cable) "TV channel" (e.g. USA network).

Re: death of Barbara Bosson

<1787733624.698688420.842066.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176253&group=rec.arts.tv#176253

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 09:20:50 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 16:20 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article
> <727082627.698646158.624174.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Yeah, I kind of always disliked her. I mean, not "seriously" disliked
>>> her. But there was always something about her that put me off...
>>>

>> Me too until I read an interview with her sister-in-law (actress, Joanna
>> Frank,
>

> The "bee girl" in an episode of The (original) Outer Limits.

YES! She was, wasn’t she? Thank you for that!

Re: The Worthless Entertainment Media (was: death of Barbara Bosson)

<995313391.698688514.873311.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176254&group=rec.arts.tv#176254

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 09:20:51 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 16:20 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-02-21 14:42:25 +0000, Rhino said:
>
>> On 2023-02-20 8:09 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>> another of anim's favorites
>>>
>>> https://deadline.com/2023/02/barbara-bosson-dies-star-of-hill-street-blues-was-8
>>>
>>> 3-1235265829/
>>>
>>> Note that the obit sez she was nominated for 5 consecutive Emmys. The
>>> Emmys have always been a joke.
>>
>> The headline of the article seemed like a real stretch to me. She was a
>> recurring character in Hill Street Blues for a while; I don't think
>> that is the same as a "star" of the show. Then again, the word "star"
>> has been used awfully loosely for quite a few years now....
>
> The "entertainment media" is worthless - they routinely can't get basic
> stuff correct, like the difference between "recurring" and "guest"
> stars, or the difference between a TV show's (forced) "cancellation"
> and a TV show organically "ending" (by general agreement among the
> parties), or the difference between a true "TV network" (e.g. ABC, CBS)
> and a (cable) "TV channel" (e.g. USA network).

I’d give you “recurring” but not “supporting”.

She was it best, a cameo guest star, and when she was on screen, you could
go to the kitchen for a snack, and not miss a thing.