The people sensible enough to give good advice are usually sensible enough to give none.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to revealRhino2
+* Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to reveal governshawn
|+* Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges toRhino
||+* Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges toEd Stasiak
|||+- Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to reveal governalien
|||`* Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges toRhino
||| `- Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to reveal governBTR1701
||`- Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges toDavid Johnston
|`- Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to reveal governThe Horny Goat
+- Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges totrotsky
`* Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges toDavid Johnston
 +- Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges toAdam H. Kerman

1
[OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada

<73c8df8c-32b9-4d0d-b963-dbb4383fae4an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176123&group=rec.arts.tv#176123

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 06:12:45 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to reveal
government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada
From: hughmung...@gmail.com (Rhino2)
 by: Rhino2 - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 14:12 UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQB9QoXdD5o

There have been stories about CCP (Chinese Communist Party) interference in Canadian affairs for a while now but this story, featuring an interview with a retired Canadian diplomat, really makes the stakes clear. He makes a very important point by noting that the person at CSIS (Canadian Security and Intelligence Service, our national intelligence agency) is risking very serious criminal charges in leaking documents that prove the federal (Liberal) government was negligent in brushing over the interference of Chinese diplomats and agents in our last two national elections. There is evidence that Chinese interference affected the outcome of the voting in 11 ridings out of 334 yet the Liberal government dismisses this as insignificant. As the former diplomat points out, absolutely nothing has been done to punish or discourage China from doing the same and worse in future elections.

The *other* shocking thing about this story is that CBC actually seems concerned about it. Their normal approach is to ignore or trivialize anything that makes the Liberal government look bad but they don't seem to be doing that this time. You just KNOW something is a serious problem when even the CBC recognizes it as such.

It remains to be seen whether Trudeau will make an about-face and finally take measures to stand up to China.

Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada

<gn57vh15qhjq7148k2fnoa5aqog0c3036a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176126&group=rec.arts.tv#176126

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 10:51:31 -0500
 by: shawn - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 15:51 UTC

On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 06:12:45 -0800 (PST), Rhino2
<hughmunguscan@gmail.com> wrote:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQB9QoXdD5o
>
>There have been stories about CCP (Chinese Communist Party) interference in Canadian affairs for a while now but this story, featuring an interview with a retired Canadian diplomat, really makes the stakes clear. He makes a very important point by noting that the person at CSIS (Canadian Security and Intelligence Service, our national intelligence agency) is risking very serious criminal charges in leaking documents that prove the federal (Liberal) government was negligent in brushing over the interference of Chinese diplomats and agents in our last two national elections. There is evidence that Chinese interference affected the outcome of the voting in 11 ridings out of 334 yet the Liberal government dismisses this as insignificant. As the former diplomat points out, absolutely nothing has been done to punish or discourage China from doing the same and worse in future elections.
>
>The *other* shocking thing about this story is that CBC actually seems concerned about it. Their normal approach is to ignore or trivialize anything that makes the Liberal government look bad but they don't seem to be doing that this time. You just KNOW something is a serious problem when even the CBC recognizes it as such.
>
>It remains to be seen whether Trudeau will make an about-face and finally take measures to stand up to China.

What measures can he actually do that the public would support?

Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada

<tt0gbm$q6in$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176140&group=rec.arts.tv#176140

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to
reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 14:06:28 -0500
 by: Rhino - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 19:06 UTC

On 2023-02-20 10:51 AM, shawn wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 06:12:45 -0800 (PST), Rhino2
> <hughmunguscan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQB9QoXdD5o
>>
>> There have been stories about CCP (Chinese Communist Party) interference in Canadian affairs for a while now but this story, featuring an interview with a retired Canadian diplomat, really makes the stakes clear. He makes a very important point by noting that the person at CSIS (Canadian Security and Intelligence Service, our national intelligence agency) is risking very serious criminal charges in leaking documents that prove the federal (Liberal) government was negligent in brushing over the interference of Chinese diplomats and agents in our last two national elections. There is evidence that Chinese interference affected the outcome of the voting in 11 ridings out of 334 yet the Liberal government dismisses this as insignificant. As the former diplomat points out, absolutely nothing has been done to punish or discourage China from doing the same and worse in future elections.
>>
>> The *other* shocking thing about this story is that CBC actually seems concerned about it. Their normal approach is to ignore or trivialize anything that makes the Liberal government look bad but they don't seem to be doing that this time. You just KNOW something is a serious problem when even the CBC recognizes it as such.
>>
>> It remains to be seen whether Trudeau will make an about-face and finally take measures to stand up to China.
>
> What measures can he actually do that the public would support?

I can't be sure what measures the public would support given that the
"progressives" in this country still seem to love Trudeau and there were
still enough of them to re-elect him during the last two elections. I'm
also not clear if ordinary Canadians care about this or only a few media
outlets and the usual outspoken commentators.

That said, I think Trudeau has some clear options on dealing with this.
In no particular order:
- Reduce the number of Chinese diplomats accredited to Canada. The
diplomat in the interview made it clear that China has a
disproportionate number of diplomats compared to other nations and since
at least some of them seem to be getting up to mischief, reducing their
numbers ought to reduce the mischief. Of course it would be ideal if the
ones that specifically interfered in our elections could be identified
so that they are made persona non grata but I strongly suspect that ALL
of them are required to interfere in Canada's affairs as part of their
duties, whether by interfering in elections, stealing trade secrets,
spying on the Canadian military, influencing the Chinese community in
Canada, etc. so it probably doesn't really matter which "diplomats" you
expel.
- Have by-elections in the ridings where the Chinese interfered in a
substantial way. In other words, have a do-over of that election with
the information about Chinese interference and who they helped and
hindered being public information during the campaigning for the
by-election. (I feel sure Trudeau would fight this tooth and claw
because it has the potential to disadvantage him and might even threaten
the survival of his government's coalition with the NDP.)
- Make it harder for Chinese nationals to get visas for Canada.
- Close down the Chinese police stations that are operating in Canada.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada

<419d7459-2cf4-447f-bd94-36cca36a7eb4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176156&group=rec.arts.tv#176156

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 13:15:53 -0800 (PST)
reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada
From: edstasia...@gmail.com (Ed Stasiak)
 by: Ed Stasiak - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 21:15 UTC

> Rhino
>
> - Close down the Chinese police stations that are operating in Canada.

The what?!

Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada

<U0TIL.738325$MVg8.513646@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176162&group=rec.arts.tv#176162

reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 17:05:24 -0600
 by: trotsky - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 23:05 UTC

On 2/20/23 10:42 AM, RichA wrote:
> On Monday, 20 February 2023 at 09:12:48 UTC-5, Rhino2 wrote:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQB9QoXdD5o
>>
>> There have been stories about CCP (Chinese Communist Party) interference in Canadian affairs for a while now but this story, featuring an interview with a retired Canadian diplomat, really makes the stakes clear. He makes a very important point by noting that the person at CSIS (Canadian Security and Intelligence Service, our national intelligence agency) is risking very serious criminal charges in leaking documents that prove the federal (Liberal) government was negligent in brushing over the interference of Chinese diplomats and agents in our last two national elections. There is evidence that Chinese interference affected the outcome of the voting in 11 ridings out of 334 yet the Liberal government dismisses this as insignificant. As the former diplomat points out, absolutely nothing has been done to punish or discourage China from doing the same and worse in future elections.
>>
>> The *other* shocking thing about this story is that CBC actually seems concerned about it. Their normal approach is to ignore or trivialize anything that makes the Liberal government look bad but they don't seem to be doing that this time. You just KNOW something is a serious problem when even the CBC recognizes it as such.
>>
>> It remains to be seen whether Trudeau will make an about-face and finally take measures to stand up to China.
>
> All leftists in the West are working to destroy capitalism

When did you talk to all of them or are you shitposting again?

Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada

<FuTIL.2715720$odm4.912345@fx14.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176174&group=rec.arts.tv#176174

From: ali...@invalid.address (alien)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 23:37:09 GMT
 by: alien - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 23:37 UTC

On 20 Feb 2023 at 22:15:53 CET, "Ed Stasiak" <edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Rhino
>>
>> - Close down the Chinese police stations that are operating in Canada.
>
> The what?!

That is a thing nowadays. There are several Chinese police stations in some
countries.

<https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/04/world/china-overseas-police-stations-intl-cmd/index.html>
<https://web.archive.org/web/20221204054230/https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/04/world/china-overseas-police-stations-intl-cmd/index.html>

<https://www.newsweek.com/china-overseas-police-service-center-public-security-bureau-safeguard-defenders-transnational-crime-1764531>
<https://web.archive.org/web/20230116230929/https://www.newsweek.com/china-overseas-police-service-center-public-security-bureau-safeguard-defenders-transnational-crime-1764531>

How China operates illegal 'police stations' in foreign countries | DW News
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0YcxQqap4g>

--
-alien-
~ Work like you don't need the money. ~

Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada

<tt1370$tdr2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176177&group=rec.arts.tv#176177

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 17:28:15 -0700
 by: David Johnston - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 00:28 UTC

On 2023-02-20 7:12 a.m., Rhino2 wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQB9QoXdD5o
>
> There have been stories about CCP (Chinese Communist Party) interference in Canadian affairs for a while now but this story, featuring an interview with a retired Canadian diplomat, really makes the stakes clear. He makes a very important point by noting that the person at CSIS (Canadian Security and Intelligence Service, our national intelligence agency) is risking very serious criminal charges in leaking documents that prove the federal (Liberal) government was negligent in brushing over the interference of Chinese diplomats and agents in our last two national elections. There is evidence that Chinese interference affected the outcome of the voting in 11 ridings out of 334 yet the Liberal government dismisses this as insignificant. As the former diplomat points out, absolutely nothing has been done to punish or discourage China from doing the same and worse in future elections.
>
> The *other* shocking thing about this story is that CBC actually seems concerned about it. Their normal approach is to ignore or trivialize anything that makes the Liberal government look bad but they don't seem to be doing that this time. You just KNOW something is a serious problem when even the CBC recognizes it as such.
>
> It remains to be seen whether Trudeau will make an about-face and finally take measures to stand up to China.

Stand up to China and do what?

Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada

<tt138b$q6in$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176178&group=rec.arts.tv#176178

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 19:28:57 -0500
 by: Rhino - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 00:28 UTC

On 2023-02-20 4:15 PM, Ed Stasiak wrote:
>> Rhino
>>
>> - Close down the Chinese police stations that are operating in Canada.
>
> The what?!

I see you haven't heard about those yet. Information has come out that
several countries, including Canada, the US, Italy and others, have
multiple police stations staffed by Chinese nationals, that are not
widely known to the public. China claims they are just there to help
Chinese people living in those countries with things like renewing
drivers' licences but there are allegations that these officers put
great pressure on overseas Chinese to keep them from speaking up against
China while they are safe overseas. They will even kidnap Chinese
nationals in the host country to sneak them back to China.

These police stations really only became public knowledge in the past
few months.

Here's one American source about Chinese police stations in the US:
https://wisconsinwatch.org/2023/02/does-china-operate-police-stations-in-the-us/

Here's another:
https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2023/january/china-is-operating-illicit-police-stations-inside-the-us-why-are-they-still-allowed-to-be-here

Here's one about the four Chinese police stations that are known so far
in Canada:
https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/rcmp-disruption-china-canada

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada

<tt138u$tdr2$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176179&group=rec.arts.tv#176179

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 17:29:17 -0700
 by: David Johnston - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 00:29 UTC

On 2023-02-20 12:06 p.m., Rhino wrote:
> [...]
> so that they are made persona non grata but I strongly suspect that ALL
> of them are required to interfere in Canada's affairs as part of their
> duties, whether by interfering in elections, stealing trade secrets,
> spying on the Canadian military, influencing the Chinese community in
> Canada, etc. so it probably doesn't really matter which "diplomats" you
> expel.
> - Have by-elections in the ridings where the Chinese interfered in a
> substantial way. In other words, have a do-over of that election with
> the information about Chinese interference and who they helped and
> hindered being public information during the campaigning for the
> by-election. (I feel sure Trudeau would fight this tooth and claw
> because it has the potential to disadvantage him and might even threaten
> the survival of his government's coalition with the NDP.)

It would also be illegal as fuck.

> - Make it harder for Chinese nationals to get visas for Canada.
> - Close down the Chinese police stations that are operating in Canada.

Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada

<tt13o0$tcvd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176180&group=rec.arts.tv#176180

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 00:37:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 00:37 UTC

David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On 2023-02-20 7:12 a.m., Rhino2 wrote:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQB9QoXdD5o
>>
>> There have been stories about CCP (Chinese Communist Party)
>interference in Canadian affairs for a while now but this story,
>featuring an interview with a retired Canadian diplomat, really makes
>the stakes clear. He makes a very important point by noting that the
>person at CSIS (Canadian Security and Intelligence Service, our national
>intelligence agency) is risking very serious criminal charges in leaking
>documents that prove the federal (Liberal) government was negligent in
>brushing over the interference of Chinese diplomats and agents in our
>last two national elections. There is evidence that Chinese interference
>affected the outcome of the voting in 11 ridings out of 334 yet the
>Liberal government dismisses this as insignificant. As the former
>diplomat points out, absolutely nothing has been done to punish or
>discourage China from doing the same and worse in future elections.
>>
>> The *other* shocking thing about this story is that CBC actually seems
>concerned about it. Their normal approach is to ignore or trivialize
>anything that makes the Liberal government look bad but they don't seem
>to be doing that this time. You just KNOW something is a serious problem
>when even the CBC recognizes it as such.
>>
>> It remains to be seen whether Trudeau will make an about-face and
>finally take measures to stand up to China.
>
>Stand up to China and do what?

We can buy cheaply manufactured shit from other countries.

Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada

<U-OdnQrEz_17pmn-nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176194&group=rec.arts.tv#176194

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 03:35:02 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 03:35 UTC

On Feb 20, 2023 at 4:28:57 PM PST, "Rhino" <no_offline_contact@example.com>
wrote:

> On 2023-02-20 4:15 PM, Ed Stasiak wrote:
>>> Rhino
>>>
>>> - Close down the Chinese police stations that are operating in Canada.
>>
>> The what?!
>
> I see you haven't heard about those yet. Information has come out that
> several countries, including Canada, the US, Italy and others, have
> multiple police stations staffed by Chinese nationals, that are not
> widely known to the public. China claims they are just there to help
> Chinese people living in those countries with things like renewing
> drivers' licences but there are allegations that these officers put
> great pressure on overseas Chinese to keep them from speaking up against
> China while they are safe overseas. They will even kidnap Chinese
> nationals in the host country to sneak them back to China.

We supposedly have one here in L.A. One wonders why the FBI just doesn't walk
in, shut it down, and kick all their asses out of the country. Probably too
busy prosecuting Capitol selfie-takers to bother with a hostile foreign power
usurping our national sovereignty.

Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada

<U-OdnQXEz_2IoWn-nZ2dnZfqn_cAAAAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176195&group=rec.arts.tv#176195

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 03:35:49 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 03:35 UTC

On Feb 20, 2023 at 4:28:15 PM PST, "David Johnston"
<davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2023-02-20 7:12 a.m., Rhino2 wrote:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQB9QoXdD5o
>>
>> There have been stories about CCP (Chinese Communist Party) interference in
>> Canadian affairs for a while now but this story, featuring an interview with
>> a retired Canadian diplomat, really makes the stakes clear. He makes a very
>> important point by noting that the person at CSIS (Canadian Security and
>> Intelligence Service, our national intelligence agency) is risking very
>> serious criminal charges in leaking documents that prove the federal
>> (Liberal) government was negligent in brushing over the interference of
>> Chinese diplomats and agents in our last two national elections. There is
>> evidence that Chinese interference affected the outcome of the voting in 11
>> ridings out of 334 yet the Liberal government dismisses this as
>> insignificant. As the former diplomat points out, absolutely nothing has
>> been done to punish or discourage China from doing the same and worse in
>> future elections.
>>
>> The *other* shocking thing about this story is that CBC actually seems
>> concerned about it. Their normal approach is to ignore or trivialize
>> anything that makes the Liberal government look bad but they don't seem to
>> be doing that this time. You just KNOW something is a serious problem when
>> even the CBC recognizes it as such.
>>
>> It remains to be seen whether Trudeau will make an about-face and finally
>> take measures to stand up to China.
>
> Stand up to China and do what?

Well, you could shut those Chinese police stations in your country the fuck
down.

Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada

<T30JL.1520563$GNG9.437604@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176223&group=rec.arts.tv#176223

reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 03:22:58 -0600
 by: trotsky - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 09:22 UTC

On 2/20/23 9:35 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2023 at 4:28:15 PM PST, "David Johnston"
> <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2023-02-20 7:12 a.m., Rhino2 wrote:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQB9QoXdD5o
>>>
>>> There have been stories about CCP (Chinese Communist Party) interference in
>>> Canadian affairs for a while now but this story, featuring an interview with
>>> a retired Canadian diplomat, really makes the stakes clear. He makes a very
>>> important point by noting that the person at CSIS (Canadian Security and
>>> Intelligence Service, our national intelligence agency) is risking very
>>> serious criminal charges in leaking documents that prove the federal
>>> (Liberal) government was negligent in brushing over the interference of
>>> Chinese diplomats and agents in our last two national elections. There is
>>> evidence that Chinese interference affected the outcome of the voting in 11
>>> ridings out of 334 yet the Liberal government dismisses this as
>>> insignificant. As the former diplomat points out, absolutely nothing has
>>> been done to punish or discourage China from doing the same and worse in
>>> future elections.
>>>
>>> The *other* shocking thing about this story is that CBC actually seems
>>> concerned about it. Their normal approach is to ignore or trivialize
>>> anything that makes the Liberal government look bad but they don't seem to
>>> be doing that this time. You just KNOW something is a serious problem when
>>> even the CBC recognizes it as such.
>>>
>>> It remains to be seen whether Trudeau will make an about-face and finally
>>> take measures to stand up to China.
>>
>> Stand up to China and do what?
>
> Well, you could shut those Chinese police stations in your country the fuck
> down.

Wow, Johnston must have a lot of authority in Canada. Is he a high
ranking govt. official? I hadn't heard.

Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada

<4k8bvhpp932ucmm7badmsinhc3aek5h3rn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176353&group=rec.arts.tv#176353

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 21:05:48 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 05:05 UTC

On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 10:51:31 -0500, shawn
<nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 06:12:45 -0800 (PST), Rhino2
><hughmunguscan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQB9QoXdD5o
>>
>>There have been stories about CCP (Chinese Communist Party) interference in Canadian affairs for a while now but this story, featuring an interview with a retired Canadian diplomat, really makes the stakes clear. He makes a very important point by noting that the person at CSIS (Canadian Security and Intelligence Service, our national intelligence agency) is risking very serious criminal charges in leaking documents that prove the federal (Liberal) government was negligent in brushing over the interference of Chinese diplomats and agents in our last two national elections. There is evidence that Chinese interference affected the outcome of the voting in 11 ridings out of 334 yet the Liberal government dismisses this as insignificant. As the former diplomat points out, absolutely nothing has been done to punish or discourage China from doing the same and worse in future elections.
>>
>>The *other* shocking thing about this story is that CBC actually seems concerned about it. Their normal approach is to ignore or trivialize anything that makes the Liberal government look bad but they don't seem to be doing that this time. You just KNOW something is a serious problem when even the CBC recognizes it as such.
>>
>>It remains to be seen whether Trudeau will make an about-face and finally take measures to stand up to China.
>
>What measures can he actually do that the public would support?

Polievre is calling for a Foreign Agents registry - which surprised me
as I (apparently incorrectly) thought Canada already had that.

Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada

<mm8bvht09o7nljmi8uv0qsi0aapsj90k0n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176354&group=rec.arts.tv#176354

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 21:10:03 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 05:10 UTC

On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 17:28:15 -0700, David Johnston
<davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 2023-02-20 7:12 a.m., Rhino2 wrote:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQB9QoXdD5o
>>
>> There have been stories about CCP (Chinese Communist Party) interference in Canadian affairs for a while now but this story, featuring an interview with a retired Canadian diplomat, really makes the stakes clear. He makes a very important point by noting that the person at CSIS (Canadian Security and Intelligence Service, our national intelligence agency) is risking very serious criminal charges in leaking documents that prove the federal (Liberal) government was negligent in brushing over the interference of Chinese diplomats and agents in our last two national elections. There is evidence that Chinese interference affected the outcome of the voting in 11 ridings out of 334 yet the Liberal government dismisses this as insignificant. As the former diplomat points out, absolutely nothing has been done to punish or discourage China from doing the same and worse in future elections.
>>
>> The *other* shocking thing about this story is that CBC actually seems concerned about it. Their normal approach is to ignore or trivialize anything that makes the Liberal government look bad but they don't seem to be doing that this time. You just KNOW something is a serious problem when even the CBC recognizes it as such.
>>
>> It remains to be seen whether Trudeau will make an about-face and finally take measures to stand up to China.
>
>Stand up to China and do what?

- ban immigration by PRC nationals to Canada
- ban Canadian companies signing contracts with Chinese companies
involving technology transfer of any sort
- cancelling existing trade agreements with China
- deporting any Chinese diplomats engaging in espionage.

Just for starters - let us not forget China held Canadian hostages in
inhuman conditions for just under 3 years not so long ago - with ZERO
pushback from Ottawa - simply carrying on as if nothing untoward had
happened.

Any Canadian government that would allow a foreign power to seize our
nationals as hostages and takes ZERO counter-measures should not count
on my vote at election time.

Re: [OT] Canadian security agents risk serious criminal charges to reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada

<tt4i2s$1f4pn$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176368&group=rec.arts.tv#176368

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
reveal government indifference to Chinese interference in Canada
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 01:00:26 -0700
 by: David Johnston - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 08:00 UTC

On 2023-02-21 10:10 p.m., The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 17:28:15 -0700, David Johnston
> <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2023-02-20 7:12 a.m., Rhino2 wrote:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQB9QoXdD5o
>>>
>>> There have been stories about CCP (Chinese Communist Party) interference in Canadian affairs for a while now but this story, featuring an interview with a retired Canadian diplomat, really makes the stakes clear. He makes a very important point by noting that the person at CSIS (Canadian Security and Intelligence Service, our national intelligence agency) is risking very serious criminal charges in leaking documents that prove the federal (Liberal) government was negligent in brushing over the interference of Chinese diplomats and agents in our last two national elections. There is evidence that Chinese interference affected the outcome of the voting in 11 ridings out of 334 yet the Liberal government dismisses this as insignificant. As the former diplomat points out, absolutely nothing has been done to punish or discourage China from doing the same and worse in future elections.
>>>
>>> The *other* shocking thing about this story is that CBC actually seems concerned about it. Their normal approach is to ignore or trivialize anything that makes the Liberal government look bad but they don't seem to be doing that this time. You just KNOW something is a serious problem when even the CBC recognizes it as such.
>>>
>>> It remains to be seen whether Trudeau will make an about-face and finally take measures to stand up to China.
>>
>> Stand up to China and do what?
>
> - ban immigration by PRC nationals to Canada

I can't see why the Chinese government would have a problem with that.

> - ban Canadian companies signing contracts with Chinese companies
> involving technology transfer of any sort
> - cancelling existing trade agreements with China

I'm sure they'd be very intimidated. We are, after all, such major
economic players.