Life exists for no known purpose.

arts / rec.arts.tv / New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, Cast

SubjectAuthor
* New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, CastBTR1701
+* Re: New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, Castanim8rfsk
|`* Re: New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, CastIan J. Ball
| +* Re: New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, Castshawn
| |+- Re: New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, Castanim8rfsk
| |`* Re: New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, CastmoviePig
| | `- Re: New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, Casttrotsky
| +- Re: New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, Castanim8rfsk
| `* Re: New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, CastBTR1701
|  `- Re: New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, Castsuper70s
`- Re: New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, CastUbiquitous

1
New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, Cast

<x8CdnQih6sRGfZ_5nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=177786&group=rec.arts.tv#177786

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, Cast
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 06:10:35 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 06:10 UTC

I just hope it's R rated, not PG-13 horror.

---------------------------

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/alien-movie-sets-production-start-223355301.html

The newest ALIEN film is set to begin production soon, with 20th Century
Studios confirming that production will start in Budapest on March 9.

The film will star MARE OF EASTTOWN's Cailee Spaeny alongside David Jonsson
(INDUSTRY), Archie Renaux (SHADOW AND BONE), Isabela Merced (ROSALINE), Spike
Fearn (THE BATMAN), and Aileen Wu (AWAY FROM HOME). It is being directed by
Fede Alvarez and written by Rodo Sayagues, who Alvarez has collaborated with
before. The director of the original ALIEN, Ridley Scott, is set to produce
the movie alongside Michael Pruss under their Scott Free banner, while Brent
O'Connor, Elizabeth Cantillon, and Tom Moran will executive produce.

"In this ninth entry in the immensely popular and enduring film series, a
group of young people on a distant world find themselves in a confrontation
with the most terrifying life form in the universe," reads the film's
synopsis.

The new film is said to be unconnected to the previous films. A fan of the
iconic franchise himself, Alvarez had pitched a film idea to Scott several
years ago in a casual conversation. This eventually led to Scott calling the
director to see if he was still interested and it was quickly set.

20th Century then picked up the new ALIEN movie due to the strength of
Alvarez’s pitch, as it was a "really good story with a bunch of characters you
haven't seen before," according to 20th Century's Steve Asbell.

Re: New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, Cast

<776841693.699605143.711561.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=177787&group=rec.arts.tv#177787

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, Cast
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 23:47:13 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 06:47 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> I just hope it's R rated, not PG-13 horror.
>
> ---------------------------

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/alien-movie-sets-production-start-223355301.html

> The newest ALIEN film is set to begin production soon, with 20th Century
Studios confirming that production will start in Budapest on March 9.

> The film will star MARE OF EASTTOWN's Cailee Spaeny alongside David Jonsson
(INDUSTRY), Archie Renaux (SHADOW AND BONE), Isabela Merced (ROSALINE),
Spike
Fearn (THE BATMAN), and Aileen Wu (AWAY FROM HOME). It is being directed by
Fede Alvarez and written by Rodo Sayagues, who Alvarez has collaborated
with
before. The director of the original ALIEN, Ridley Scott, is set to
produce
the movie alongside Michael Pruss under their Scott Free banner, while
Brent
O'Connor, Elizabeth Cantillon, and Tom Moran will executive produce.

> "In this ninth entry in the immensely popular and enduring film series, a
group of young people on a distant world find themselves in a confrontation
with the most terrifying life form in the universe," reads the film's
synopsis.

> The new film is said to be unconnected to the previous films. A fan of the
iconic franchise himself, Alvarez had pitched a film idea to Scott several
years ago in a casual conversation. This eventually led to Scott calling
the
director to see if he was still interested and it was quickly set.

> 20th Century then picked up the new ALIEN movie due to the strength of
Alvarez’s pitch, as it was a "really good story with a bunch of characters
you
haven't seen before," according to 20th Century's Steve Asbell.

Re: New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, Cast

<ttupnv$to9v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=177788&group=rec.arts.tv#177788

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 22:50:39 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 06:50 UTC

On 2023-03-04 06:47:13 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Unconnected to the previous films?

Probably in the same way you can argue that "Prey" is basically
unconnected to the other "Predator" films...

Re: New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, Cast

<bg560i58t0ftf3f7uejjna0ovjee856teh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=177791&group=rec.arts.tv#177791

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 04:58:39 -0500
 by: shawn - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 09:58 UTC

On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 22:50:39 -0800, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>On 2023-03-04 06:47:13 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> Unconnected to the previous films?
>
>Probably in the same way you can argue that "Prey" is basically
>unconnected to the other "Predator" films...

Sounds almost like they are trying to do a soft reboot. Not sure why I
or others should want to watch this film if it has no connection to
the other films.

Re: New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, Cast

<1825244138.699631435.265311.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=177802&group=rec.arts.tv#177802

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 07:06:33 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 14:06 UTC

> On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 22:50:39 -0800, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2023-03-04 06:47:13 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>>
>>> Unconnected to the previous films?
>>
>> Probably in the same way you can argue that "Prey" is basically
>> unconnected to the other "Predator" films...
>
> Sounds almost like they are trying to do a soft reboot. Not sure why I
> or others should want to watch this film if it has no connection to
> the other films.

Yeah

Re: New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, Cast

<74329971.699631446.701314.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=177803&group=rec.arts.tv#177803

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 07:06:34 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 14:06 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-03-04 06:47:13 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> Unconnected to the previous films?
>
> Probably in the same way you can argue that "Prey" is basically
> unconnected to the other "Predator" films...

Or the way the Berlanti CW shows are unconnected to entertainment.

Re: New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, Cast

<qRJML.919892$MVg8.863692@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=177807&group=rec.arts.tv#177807

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 10:55:01 -0500
 by: moviePig - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 15:55 UTC

On 3/4/2023 4:58 AM, shawn wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 22:50:39 -0800, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2023-03-04 06:47:13 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>>
>>> Unconnected to the previous films?
>>
>> Probably in the same way you can argue that "Prey" is basically
>> unconnected to the other "Predator" films...
>
> Sounds almost like they are trying to do a soft reboot. Not sure why I
> or others should want to watch this film if it has no connection to
> the other films.

Or maybe even if it does. As hyper-enjoyable sequels go, Cameron's
ALIENS caught lightning in a bottle.

Re: New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, Cast

<rbKML.1439723$9sn9.419579@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=177810&group=rec.arts.tv#177810

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 10:18:31 -0600
 by: trotsky - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 16:18 UTC

On 3/4/23 9:55 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 3/4/2023 4:58 AM, shawn wrote:
>> On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 22:50:39 -0800, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> Probably in the same way you can argue that "Prey" is basically
>>> unconnected to the other "Predator" films...
>>
>> Sounds almost like they are trying to do a soft reboot. Not sure why I
>> or others should want to watch this film if it has no connection to
>> the other films.
>
> Or maybe even if it does.  As hyper-enjoyable sequels go, Cameron's
> ALIENS caught lightning in a bottle.

Yes and no. He took the concept and went from horror to action.
Depending on the viewer you make like this and you may not. Aliens is
good but horror maven Dan O'Bannon knocked it out of the part with the
script for the first one.

Re: New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, Cast

<atropos-694AD3.08534404032023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=177815&group=rec.arts.tv#177815

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 08:53:44 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 16:53 UTC

In article <ttupnv$to9v$1@dont-email.me>,
Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 2023-03-04 06:47:13 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
> > Unconnected to the previous films?
>
> Probably in the same way you can argue that "Prey" is basically
> unconnected to the other "Predator" films...

It's a good thing. The way they felt the need to keep resurrecting a
shoe-horning Ripley into every ALIEN movie was getting ridiculous.

Re: New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, Cast

<ttvj86$1020v$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=177834&group=rec.arts.tv#177834

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 14:12:31 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 19:12 UTC

atropos@mac.com wrote:

> I just hope it's R rated, not PG-13 horror.

I am hoping for proper Exomorph representation, not a man in a rubber suit.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: New ALIEN Film Sets Start Date, Cast

<super70s-82A090.19325204032023@reader.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=177867&group=rec.arts.tv#177867

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 19:32:52 -0600
 by: super70s - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 01:32 UTC

In article <atropos-694AD3.08534404032023@news.giganews.com>,
BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

> In article <ttupnv$to9v$1@dont-email.me>,
> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
> > On 2023-03-04 06:47:13 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
> >
> > > Unconnected to the previous films?
> >
> > Probably in the same way you can argue that "Prey" is basically
> > unconnected to the other "Predator" films...
>
> It's a good thing. The way they felt the need to keep resurrecting a
> shoe-horning Ripley into every ALIEN movie was getting ridiculous.

One time I started watching a Blu-ray of Life (2017), saw where it was
going and didn't even care to finish it. I was never a big fan of the
Alien stuff and its imitators anyway.