Wisdom is rarely found on the best-seller list.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Where in the world is Matthew Pottinger?

SubjectAuthor
* Where in the world is Matthew Pottinger?chromebook test
+- Re: Where in the world is Matthew Pottinger?chromebook test
+- Re: Where in the world is Matthew Pottinger?chromebook test
+- Re: Where in the world is Matthew Pottinger?chromebook test
+- Re: Where in the world is Matthew Pottinger?chromebook test
+* Re: Where in the world is Matthew Pottinger?chromebook test
|`- Re: Where in the world is Matthew Pottinger?chromebook test
+- Re: Where in the world is Matthew Pottinger?chromebook test
`- Re: Where in the world is Matthew Pottinger?chromebook test

1
Where in the world is Matthew Pottinger?

<a8d3f825-fa4d-4b8f-a230-12add36d0576n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176552&group=rec.arts.tv#176552

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 21:43:46 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Where in the world is Matthew Pottinger?
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 05:43 UTC

Coronavirus: American scientists caught up in Wuhan web of intrigue
SHARRI MARKSON MAY 25, 2021
https://archive.is/ZcRTD

Inside America’s highly secretive biological research site at Fort Detrick, Maryland, are biosafety level-four laboratories.

Soldiers guard the premises that house America’s bio-defence agency, the US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases.

It’s the last place on Earth you would expect to have developed ties with Wuhan Institute of Virology researchers who, in turn, are engaging in secret Chinese military activity.

An investigation by The Australian has revealed senior personnel at USAMRIID — its chief science officer, a laboratory director, a former commander and a research contractor — have been involved with the Wuhan Institute of Virology, even visiting its laboratories where risky research on coronaviruses took place.

///

What Really Happened In Wuhan. A Virus Like No Other, Countless Infections, Millions of Deaths
2021 Sharri Markson
https://annas-archive.org/md5/7e7ea79ee3d60a0fd0eacaf09f7505f9

Re: Where in the world is Matthew Pottinger?

<ea9852e7-01a3-4c61-9083-0989e511a82an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176602&group=rec.arts.tv#176602

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 08:39:38 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Where in the world is Matthew Pottinger?
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 16:39 UTC

On Thursday, February 23, 2023 at 12:43:49 AM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> Coronavirus: American scientists caught up in Wuhan web of intrigue
> SHARRI MARKSON MAY 25, 2021
> https://archive.is/ZcRTD
>

> Inside America’s highly secretive biological research site at Fort Detrick, Maryland, are biosafety level-four laboratories.
>
> Soldiers guard the premises that house America’s bio-defence agency, the US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases.
>
> It’s the last place on Earth you would expect to have developed ties with Wuhan Institute of Virology researchers who, in turn, are engaging in secret Chinese military activity.
>
> An investigation by The Australian has revealed senior personnel at USAMRIID — its chief science officer, a laboratory director, a former commander and a research contractor — have been involved with the Wuhan Institute of Virology, even visiting its laboratories where risky research on coronaviruses took place.
>

> ///
>

> What Really Happened In Wuhan. A Virus Like No Other, Countless Infections, Millions of Deaths
> 2021 Sharri Markson
> https://annas-archive.org/md5/7e7ea79ee3d60a0fd0eacaf09f7505f9

Former Trump national security advisers among witnesses testifying at House hearing on China
Alayna Treene and Zachary Cohen, CNN February 23, 2023
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/23/politics/house-china-hearing-trump-advisers/index.html

The House select committee on China will feature four high-profile witnesses during its first hearing Tuesday at 7 p.m. ET, including former President Donald Trump’s national security adviser, H.R. McMaster, and top China expert and former deputy national security adviser, Matthew Pottinger, sources familiar with the hearing told CNN.

This is the first primetime hearing that any GOP-led committee has held since Republicans took over the House majority in January. The panel’s top Republican, Chairman Mike Gallagher of Wisconsin, is hoping to make a splash with his witness list, which is aimed at proving his panel’s commitment to leading a serious, bipartisan investigation that could result in substantial legislative action, the sources said.

Other witnesses include Tong Yi, former secretary to one of China’s leading dissidents and current human rights activist, Wei Jingsheng, and Scott Paul, president of the Alliance for American Manufacturing.

The witnesses will help the committee lay out what they view are the specific threats China poses as a global competitor, as well as the panel’s top priorities on how to counter Beijing’s aggression.

McMaster and Pottinger are significant witnesses for the committee to showcase. They are widely respected on both sides of the aisle and played key roles in how the Trump administration formulated and carried out its agenda toward China.

Pottinger, in particular, worked for Trump from the start of his administration until resigning in the immediate aftermath of the January 6, 2021, Capitol riot. He testified publicly last year before the House select committee on the January 6 attack, earning him a nod of approval from the left.

“Our national security was harmed in a different way by the sixth of January and that is, I think it emboldened our enemies by helping give them ammunition to feed a narrative that our system of government doesn’t work, that the United States is in decline,” Pottinger said at the hearing. “China, the Putin regime in Russia, Tehran, they’re fond of pushing those kinds of narratives – and by the way, they’re wrong.”

Meanwhile, Tong will be a crucial witness who can speak personally to one of the committee’s top priorities – highlighting China’s human rights abuses and why the US must do more to curb its global influence. Tong was arrested and imprisoned for her involvement with Jingsheng and the democracy movement in 1993, and was later released in 1996 before going into exile in the US.

Paul is expected to outline the reasoning for reducing Beijing’s role in the US economy and preventing American companies from ending up in the hands of Chinese state-owned firms and investors. He’s also been a leading voice on increasing domestic manufacturing, and can speak to why the panel believes the US must stop China’s leverage at every angle..

Tuesday’s hearing is the committee’s first test to showcase what the panel is setting out to do: leading serious investigations in a bipartisan way that can get the backing of the majority of the public.

Both Gallagher and Illinois Rep. Raja Krishnamoorthi, the committee’s highest ranking Democrat, have publicly touted the panel’s efforts to remain bipartisan in tone and practice, and both have pointed to the types of members on the panel as proof that their work will be a departure from the highly politicized investigations other top committees are conducting.

“We’re not going to turn this into a partisan, bomb-throwing committee,” Gallagher recently told CNN. “Now, there may be meaningful disagreement on the issues. There are plenty of areas where Democrats and Republicans disagree on China, but overall, I think everyone’s trying to row in the same direction.”

That commitment to bipartisanship, however, was recently tested by the controversial approach the Biden administration took in handling the Chinese spy balloon that recently flew over the US. How the committee addresses that approach will be a key sign of whether they can honor their vow to remain civil and work together.

McMaster and Pottinger will likely take questions on Tuesday about what the Trump administration knew regarding the transiting of three suspected Chinese spy balloons over the continental US during Trump’s time in office. Committee aides told CNN to watch the line of questioning from different members as a sign of whether the panel can remain unified on the public stage.

Taiwan center stage
While Tuesday’s hearing is expected to largely focus on China’s human rights abuses, one of the most pressing issues the committee will ultimately delve into is how the US should defend Taiwan against growing Chinese aggression in the region.

The hearing comes after a congressional delegation, led by select committee member Democratic Rep. Ro Khanna, traveled to Taiwan where they met with top officials to discuss the threats posed by China.

Khanna worked extremely hard to ensure that this trip was not seen as overly provocative to China, focusing on the economic relationship and publicly stating his interest in visiting China as well, according to an aide, who noted that it was not cancelled in the wake of the Chinese spy balloon incident because he believed it would send the wrong message.

The congressman met with Morris Chang, the founder of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, who, according to the aide, typically does not meet with delegations, but wanted to meet with Khanna because of his Silicon Valley ties and the role as a co-author of the CHIPS and Science Act.

Addressing challenges posed by China’s role in the semiconductor supply chain is a top priority for the China select committee and has bipartisan support, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Khanna told CNN in a phone interview Wednesday that he hopes the committee will have the opportunity to hear directly from top officials like CIA Director Bill Burns and discuss strategies for avoiding conflict with China at a time of potentially increasing tensions.

“The committee is working in a way that is consistent with American foreign policy,” he said, pointing to the work of former Presidents Richard Nixon and Jimmy Carter that has “stood the test of time for almost 50 years and avoided conflict in the straights.”

“It would behoove us to understand the rationale behind that policy, the delicate balance the US has managed to strike,” Khanna added, noting it would be helpful for the panel to address those topics, including the administration’s policy related to Taiwan, with Burns and Secretary of State Antony Blinken in particular.

Senior US national security officials, including Burns, have increasingly warned that the Chinese military has been ordered by President Xi Jinping to prepare for a potential invasion of Taiwan – a move that would dramatically escalate tensions and increase the risk of conflict with the US.

“We clearly see indications of Xi instructing his military to be ready” for an invasion later in this decade, Burns said at the Munich Security Conference, referring to Taiwan.

While “that doesn’t mean that an invasion is going to occur,” it underscores how the “risks increase the farther you get into this decade and beyond,” he added.

Re: Where in the world is Matthew Pottinger?

<d2bfe58e-5c98-4d35-9f0e-4774f81c3f7fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176608&group=rec.arts.tv#176608

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 09:19:44 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 17:19 UTC

On Thursday, February 23, 2023 at 12:43:49 AM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> Coronavirus: American scientists caught up in Wuhan web of intrigue
> SHARRI MARKSON MAY 25, 2021
> https://archive.is/ZcRTD
>

> Inside America’s highly secretive biological research site at Fort Detrick, Maryland, are biosafety level-four laboratories.
>
> Soldiers guard the premises that house America’s bio-defence agency, the US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases.
>
> It’s the last place on Earth you would expect to have developed ties with Wuhan Institute of Virology researchers who, in turn, are engaging in secret Chinese military activity.
>
> An investigation by The Australian has revealed senior personnel at USAMRIID — its chief science officer, a laboratory director, a former commander and a research contractor — have been involved with the Wuhan Institute of Virology, even visiting its laboratories where risky research on coronaviruses took place.
>

> ///
>

> What Really Happened In Wuhan. A Virus Like No Other, Countless Infections, Millions of Deaths
> 2021 Sharri Markson
> https://annas-archive.org/md5/7e7ea79ee3d60a0fd0eacaf09f7505f9

Scientists at Fort Detrick, like those at Wuhan, study Ebola, Bolivian hemorrhagic fever, and other dread diseases. Labs there are supposed to be hermetically sealed, but there have been lapses. Anthrax spores leaked out in 2002, and an Army report later concluded that “multiple episodes of contamination may have occurred.”

In 2019 the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ordered a halt to research at Fort Detrick’s highest-security lab because it did not have “sufficient systems in place to decontaminate wastewater.” The lab, officially known as the US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, reopened a few months later. Its commander said he welcomed the reopening because the lab “has for more than 50 years now played a critical role in the nation’s defense, and we remain an important lab in that sense.”

America has its own virus secrets
Our military’s long history of biological research complicates the quest to clear up what really happened in Wuhan.
By Stephen Kinzer July 30, 2021
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/07/30/opinion/america-has-its-own-virus-secrets/

Re: Where in the world is Matthew Pottinger?

<d2307682-b270-4f19-b081-7fd443c05274n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176647&group=rec.arts.tv#176647

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 16:18:49 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Fri, 24 Feb 2023 00:18 UTC

On Thursday, February 23, 2023 at 12:43:49 AM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> Coronavirus: American scientists caught up in Wuhan web of intrigue
> SHARRI MARKSON MAY 25, 2021
> https://archive.is/ZcRTD
>

> Inside America’s highly secretive biological research site at Fort Detrick, Maryland, are biosafety level-four laboratories.
>
> Soldiers guard the premises that house America’s bio-defence agency, the US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases.
>
> It’s the last place on Earth you would expect to have developed ties with Wuhan Institute of Virology researchers who, in turn, are engaging in secret Chinese military activity.
>
> An investigation by The Australian has revealed senior personnel at USAMRIID — its chief science officer, a laboratory director, a former commander and a research contractor — have been involved with the Wuhan Institute of Virology, even visiting its laboratories where risky research on coronaviruses took place.
>

> ///
>

> What Really Happened In Wuhan. A Virus Like No Other, Countless Infections, Millions of Deaths
> 2021 Sharri Markson
> https://annas-archive.org/md5/7e7ea79ee3d60a0fd0eacaf09f7505f9

Matthew Pottinger: Architect of the Chinese Cold War?
by Michael B. Cerny October 2, 2019
https://uscnpm.org/2019/10/02/matthew-pottinger-architect-of-the-chinese-cold-war/

After the abrupt exit of John Bolton as National Security Advisor in mid-September, the White House has been shuffling its team of national-security experts. As I described in my previous article,[1] it is evident that the Trump administration sought a more conciliatory personality in Bolton’s replacement for the position, and, despite his relative inexperience, it appears that Robert C. O’Brien fit the bill.

A Los Angeles-based lawyer and former foreign policy advisor for the Mitt Romney Presidential campaign, O’Brien embraces a zero-sum perspective of international affairs, but lacks Bolton’s brazen hawkishness and extreme policy positions—previously a source of much distaste and disagreement in the White House. Serving as a special representative to Hostage Affairs prior to his appointment to National Security Advisor, O’Brien has never before served in any official capacity regarding Asian affairs.

In light of O’Brien’s limited career experience in Asia policy or U.S.-China relations, what is most intriguing about the current national-security shuffle isn’t O’Brien, it is the appointment of Matthew Pottinger as his deputy.

Matthew Pottinger: A Journalist-turned-Marine

Prior to accepting the position of Deputy National Security Advisor, Pottinger served the Trump administration as Senior Director for Asian Affairs on the National Security Council. A role with critical importance to United States’ policy in the Asian region, Pottinger’s predecessors include Daniel Russell, a seasoned diplomat and career member of the Foreign Service, and Daniel Krittenbrink, a long-time China hand and current U.S. Ambassador to Vietnam. Despite his status as a protégé of the now-disgraced Michael Flynn, Pottinger is a well-respected intellectual, and has reportedly brought measured foreign policy conservatism to the administration.

After graduating from the University of Massachusetts with a degree in Chinese Studies, Pottinger embarked first on a career in journalism.[2] Fluent in Mandarin, Pottinger spent seven years in China as a journalist for Reuters and the Wall Street Journal, reporting on topics ranging from Chinese government corruption to stereotypes surrounding people born in China’s Henan Province.[3] Numerous articles note that, during this time, Pottinger was assaulted by a Chinese security agent during an investigation.[4] It was this incident, along with his experience of living in China and reporting on the Chinese government, that supposedly drove Pottinger to a greater appreciation of American values and democratic freedom, ultimately leading him to a career in the United States Marine Corps.

In a 2005 article in the Wall Street Journal, Pottinger explained his decision to leave the newspaper for the Marines. Pottinger wrote that, “living in China also shows you what a nondemocratic country can do to its citizens.” Pottinger detailed his personal experiences with the Chinese authorities, where he had been “arrested and forced to flush [his] notes down a toilet to keep the police from getting them” and “punched in the face… by a government goon.”[5]

However, Pottinger’s experience with China was not the only factor involved in his career change. He wrote that watching a gruesome video of an American’s execution by terrorists in Iraq also contributed to his decision to leave journalism for the military.[6] Another article speculated that the 2002 execution of his colleague, Daniel Pearl, at the hands of Pakistani terrorists may have further played a role.[7] In any case, Pottinger’s career change reflects not only his exceptional view of American freedom, but also the positive and global role he sees for the American military. In his 2005 article for the Wall Street Journal, “Mightier than the Pen,” Pottinger noted the instrumental role of the Marines in disaster response efforts after the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.[8]

Entering the Marine Officer Candidates School, Pottinger graduated at the age of 32, and was subsequently employed as a military intelligence officer, completing three deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan during which he earned a Bronze Star.[9] After completing his active duty, Pottinger returned to civilian life, becoming the 2010–2011 Edward R. Murrow Press Fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations and later starting work at an investment management firm. In a positive appraisal of Pottinger’s perspective on the military and American exceptionalism, a high school classmate wrote that Pottinger “had never been a rah-rah patriotic kind of guy. He was a clear-eyed skeptic. He never had a poster of Rambo on his wall; more likely it was Miles Davis.”[10]

Next Stop: The White House

Prior to his appointment to Senior Director for Asian Affairs, Matthew Pottinger had never worked in a policymaking position. In a 2017 article in the New York Times, Pottinger’s predecessor under the Bush administration noted that, “He’s a very effective bureaucratic player, which is saying something because he’s never had a policy job before.”[11] Pottinger’s meteoric rise from a military intelligence officer to the nation’s Asia-policy hotseat is notably unprecedented. A closer look at his second tour to Afghanistan reveals that Pottinger’s relationship with Michael Flynn, a retired army lieutenant and Trump confidant convicted of lying to the F.B.I., was his ticket into the inner circle of government

Based upon a 2010 report[12] co-authored by Michael Flynn and Michael Pottinger, it appears that the two men met in Afghanistan during Pottinger’s deployment to the country in 2009. At that time, Flynn was serving as the Deputy Chief of Staff in Intelligence for the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan, and Pottinger served as his close advisor. Flynn and Pottinger quickly discovered from conducting local interviews across Afghanistan that there were severe deficits in American intelligence, a conclusion likely thanks to Pottinger’s wit and expertise in journalism. Their report, which publicized the failure of United States intelligence in this regard, reportedly angered the Pentagon and C.I.A., raising concerns that Flynn and Pottinger might be fired.[13]

Pottinger retired from military service in 2010, and limited information is available about Pottinger’s civilian activities. In the run-up to the election, he hedged his bets by donating to both Republican and Democratic candidates. Politico Magazine reports that, shortly after the election, Flynn invited Pottinger into the administration. This invitation was something of a surprise, as some in Washington “found it remarkable that a man who had never worked a day in civilian government or played a role in U.S. Asia policy would now have such a consequential post.”[14] Despite his relative inexperience, Steve Bannon, a former White House chief strategist, described Pottinger as “one of the most significant people in the entire US government.”[15]

The Breakdown: Pottinger on China

While Pottinger’s foreign policy résumé may be short, it would be imprudent to dismiss him as entirely inexperienced when it comes to the Chinese government. Unlike Steve Bannon, who self-fashions himself as an expert on international affairs, Pottinger studied Chinese in university, speaks Mandarin fluently, and lived in China for the better part of a decade (and as a reporter on the Chinese government, no less). Living in China was a formative experience for Pottinger, and it is evident his hardline policies towards the East Asian nation reflect his experience in China as a journalist.

Furthermore, while some have labelled Pottinger a China hawk, it appears he’s of a different brand than Bannon or Bolton. Graham Allison, a professor at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University, described Pottinger as “smart, insightful, inquisitive and not dogmatic.”[16] Others have described him as sane and capable. In other words, Pottinger neither embodies nor echoes the rash statements made by President Trump at campaign rallies or on Twitter. However, Pottinger’s relative moderation does not mean he is any friend of China. He is quite the opposite.

Unlike National Security Advisor Robert C. O’Brien, Pottinger has published no writings on U.S.-China relations in the past decade. As the Senior Director for Asian Affairs on the National Security Council, Pottinger was involved with the drafting of the National Security Strategy,[17] a document prepared by the Executive Branch that addresses major concerns to national security and the administration’s approaches to resolve them..[18] Considering Pottinger’s involvement in drafting the document, the National Security Strategy best reflects Pottinger’s current perspectives on the U.S.-China relationship. Prefaced by a letter from the President that articulates an America-first strategy (of which the National Security Strategy is a component), the document characterizes China as a “revisionist” power that seeks “to shape a world antithetical to U.S. values and interests.”

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Where in the world is Matthew Pottinger?

<8a4e50c3-b38c-4b62-97af-e1fcdec7fd38n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=177914&group=rec.arts.tv#177914

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 10:24:44 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 18:24 UTC

On Thursday, February 23, 2023 at 12:43:49 AM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> Coronavirus: American scientists caught up in Wuhan web of intrigue
> SHARRI MARKSON MAY 25, 2021
> https://archive.is/ZcRTD
>

> Inside America’s highly secretive biological research site at Fort Detrick, Maryland, are biosafety level-four laboratories.
>
> Soldiers guard the premises that house America’s bio-defence agency, the US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases.
>
> It’s the last place on Earth you would expect to have developed ties with Wuhan Institute of Virology researchers who, in turn, are engaging in secret Chinese military activity.
>
> An investigation by The Australian has revealed senior personnel at USAMRIID — its chief science officer, a laboratory director, a former commander and a research contractor — have been involved with the Wuhan Institute of Virology, even visiting its laboratories where risky research on coronaviruses took place.
>

> ///
>

> What Really Happened In Wuhan. A Virus Like No Other, Countless Infections, Millions of Deaths
> 2021 Sharri Markson
> https://annas-archive.org/md5/7e7ea79ee3d60a0fd0eacaf09f7505f9

New US House Committee Focuses on Strategic Competition with China
March 01, 2023 Katherine Gypson
https://www.voanews.com/a/new-us-house-committee-focuses-on-strategic-competition-with-china/6984605.html

U.S. lawmakers began a wide-ranging two-year investigation into U.S. strategic competition with China Tuesday night, with testimony from Chinese human rights activists and former U.S. national security advisers.

The start of the probe came two weeks after the United States shot down a Chinese surveillance balloon off the South Carolina coast.

“This is an existential struggle over what life will look like in the 21st century. And the most fundamental freedoms are at stake,” said Republican Congressman Mike Gallagher, chair of the 24-member House Select Committee on Strategic Competition with China. “The CCP [Chinese Communist Party] is laser-focused on its vision for the future, a world crowded with techno totalitarian surveillance states where human rights are subordinate to the whims of the party.”

Congressman Raja Krishnamoorthi, the top Democrat on the committee, highlighted the need for bipartisan cooperation.

“We must recognize that the CCP wants us to be fractious, partisan and prejudiced,” Krishnamoorthi said. “In fact, the CCP hopes for it. But what they don't get is that the diversity of our viewpoints and backgrounds is not a bug in America's operating system. It is our defining feature and strength.”

US Army Officials Confident in Competition with China
Former national security advisers who served during the administration of President Donald Trump warned lawmakers at the hearing Tuesday that the United States must make up ground with China.

“United States and other nations across the free world underwrote the erosion of their competitive advantages through the transfer of capital and technology to a strategic competitor,” H.R. McMaster told the committee.

President Joe Biden said earlier this year that the United States is in competition with China, not in conflict. But witnesses told the panel that China sees the relationship differently.

“There's really no excuse anymore for being fooled about Beijing's intentions,” former deputy national security adviser Matthew Pottinger said. “And the canon of Chairman Xi’s publicly available statements is too voluminous, and the accumulated actions of his regime to brazen, to be misunderstood this late hour.”

US-China Tensions Over Alleged Spy Balloon, Ukraine Threaten Trade
The committee’s wide-ranging exploration will allow for new perspectives on security threats. Republican Congressman Dan Newhouse told VOA he is concerned about Chinese land purchases in agricultural areas of the United States.

“Can you imagine anything more precarious than having our food supply — perhaps only a link in that food supply chain — being compromised in a potential conflict with someone that is not our friend?” said Newhouse, who is co-sponsoring legislation on the matter.

US, States Weigh Farmland Restrictions After Chinese Balloon Incident
Members of the committee also told VOA that China’s surveillance balloon is only a small part of the security threat.

“It's literally every day on the phones of Americans, and that the threat doesn't end there — China is a massive military threat,” Republican Congressman Dusty Johnson said. “Their navy is larger, and many argue more powerful, than America's. They have more intercontinental ballistic missile launchers than the United States does. Their capabilities and things like hypersonics far outstrip where America is today.”

What Joint Drills With South African, Russian Navies Mean for China
While the first hearing focused on security concerns, the committee’s work is expected to address a wide range of issues in the relationship – from economic and agricultural competition to the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The committee is considering hearings outside Capitol Hill for a firsthand look at possible threats to critical infrastructure.

tags: https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.tv/c/rVhIw0z51YI/m/ZWjSDWrCAQAJ

Re: Where in the world is Matthew Pottinger?

<ad88b31e-b112-49a3-aec5-572d57518cf1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=177917&group=rec.arts.tv#177917

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 10:31:13 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 18:31 UTC

On Thursday, February 23, 2023 at 12:43:49 AM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> Coronavirus: American scientists caught up in Wuhan web of intrigue
> SHARRI MARKSON MAY 25, 2021
> https://archive.is/ZcRTD
>

> Inside America’s highly secretive biological research site at Fort Detrick, Maryland, are biosafety level-four laboratories.
>
> Soldiers guard the premises that house America’s bio-defence agency, the US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases.
>
> It’s the last place on Earth you would expect to have developed ties with Wuhan Institute of Virology researchers who, in turn, are engaging in secret Chinese military activity.
>
> An investigation by The Australian has revealed senior personnel at USAMRIID — its chief science officer, a laboratory director, a former commander and a research contractor — have been involved with the Wuhan Institute of Virology, even visiting its laboratories where risky research on coronaviruses took place.

For the first half of the hearing, the issue of the origin of Covid was not mentioned. But that changed when two Republicans — LaHood and Rep. Jim Banks of Indiana — raised it.

“Less than an hour ago, FBI Director Christopher Wray confirmed that Covid-19 originated in a Wuhan lab. Do you think there was a chance that the Wuhan lab was involved in bioweapons research?” Banks asked Pottinger.

Pottinger would not go there, but he said that some Chinese facilities do research coronaviruses and that the Chinese military had been involved to develop vaccines for coronaviruses.

“There is still a great deal of information that has yet to come out,” Pottinger said.

Bipartisan China committee holds first hearing on 'existential struggle' with Beijing
Scott Wong and Kyle Stewart and Julia Jester March 1, 2023
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/bipartisan-china-panel-hold-first-133000106..html

Re: Where in the world is Matthew Pottinger?

<f3ec4c67-f2e5-4a97-973a-921dfa05afe1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=177935&group=rec.arts.tv#177935

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 12:04:42 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 20:04 UTC

On Sunday, March 5, 2023 at 1:31:16 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Thursday, February 23, 2023 at 12:43:49 AM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> > Coronavirus: American scientists caught up in Wuhan web of intrigue
> > SHARRI MARKSON MAY 25, 2021
> > https://archive.is/ZcRTD
> >

> > Inside America’s highly secretive biological research site at Fort Detrick, Maryland, are biosafety level-four laboratories.

> Bipartisan China committee holds first hearing on 'existential struggle' with Beijing
> Scott Wong and Kyle Stewart and Julia Jester March 1, 2023
> https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/bipartisan-china-panel-hold-first-133000106.html

Mr. Banks (01:45:00):

Where ago the FBI director, Christopher Wray, confirmed that COVID-19 originated in a Wuhan lab. Do you think there is a chance that the Wuhan lab was involved in bioweapons research?

Mr. Matthew Pottinger (01:45:12):

Well, I think that we know for certain that the Chinese military is involved in research into coronaviruses. We know that they were experimenting using US technology, by the way, to work on chimeric viruses. That is ones that had been engineered. We know that the Chinese military had been involved in trying to develop vaccines for coronaviruses. So I think that this is an area that there is still a great deal of information that has yet to come out that will show that there was an enormous amount of interest. They’re publicly published peer-reviewed articles by PLA generals.

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/republican-led-house-committee-on-china-holds-first-hearing-transcript

Re: Where in the world is Matthew Pottinger?

<290a1baf-3c1e-44ad-9950-460379fc8d52n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=177970&group=rec.arts.tv#177970

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 16:32:14 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 00:32 UTC

On Thursday, February 23, 2023 at 12:43:49 AM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> Coronavirus: American scientists caught up in Wuhan web of intrigue
> SHARRI MARKSON MAY 25, 2021
> https://archive.is/ZcRTD
>

> Inside America’s highly secretive biological research site at Fort Detrick, Maryland, are biosafety level-four laboratories.
>
> Soldiers guard the premises that house America’s bio-defence agency, the US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases.
>
> It’s the last place on Earth you would expect to have developed ties with Wuhan Institute of Virology researchers who, in turn, are engaging in secret Chinese military activity.
>
> An investigation by The Australian has revealed senior personnel at USAMRIID — its chief science officer, a laboratory director, a former commander and a research contractor — have been involved with the Wuhan Institute of Virology, even visiting its laboratories where risky research on coronaviruses took place.
>

> ///
>

> What Really Happened In Wuhan. A Virus Like No Other, Countless Infections, Millions of Deaths
> 2021 Sharri Markson
> https://annas-archive.org/md5/7e7ea79ee3d60a0fd0eacaf09f7505f9

We are privileged today to have an all-star lineup of witnesses, each of whom brings an important and unique perspective on the Chinese Communist Party.

First is Matthew Pottinger, a fellow Marine, who I first met in the desert in western Iraq, who has graciously and patiently converted a recovering [inaudible 00:07:25] to a China watcher. He served as Deputy National Security Advisor under President Trump and now serves as Chairman of the China Program at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, among other affiliations..

Next is Lieutenant General H.R. McMaster, who had a distinguished military career, is also a distinguished historian. His book, Dereliction of Duty, remains among the all time classics, in terms of histories of the Vietnam War, and his service to our nation culminated most recently as National Security Advisor during the previous administration. He is now the Fouad and Michelle Ajami Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution.

Republican-Led House Committee on China Holds First Hearing Transcript
Mar 1, 2023
https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/republican-led-house-committee-on-china-holds-first-hearing-transcript

-----------

In 2017, the NSC under H. R. McMaster, the national security adviser, and Matt Pottinger, the Asia director at the council who led these efforts, produced two documents—the “U.S. Strategic Framework for the Indo Pacific” and the “U.S. Strategic Framework for Countering China’s Economic Aggression”—that laid out a whole-of-government approach to China. That December of 2017, the National Security Strategy was published. The strategy made clear that China (and Russia) under its Communist Party was a revisionist power that aimed to “shape a world antithetical to U.S. values and interests” and “displace the United States in the Indo-Pacific region, expand the reaches of its state-driven economic model, and reorder the region in its favor.”

Mark Esper Sacred Oath, Chapter 19: "China, China, China"

------------

Cull the herd, kiss grandma goodbye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oThh3_Srxtc

Re: Where in the world is Matthew Pottinger?

<03963135-f984-4542-9628-d107df25cf01n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=178037&group=rec.arts.tv#178037

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 13:04:48 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 21:04 UTC

On Thursday, February 23, 2023 at 12:43:49 AM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> Coronavirus: American scientists caught up in Wuhan web of intrigue
> SHARRI MARKSON MAY 25, 2021
> https://archive.is/ZcRTD
>

> Inside America’s highly secretive biological research site at Fort Detrick, Maryland, are biosafety level-four laboratories.
>
> Soldiers guard the premises that house America’s bio-defence agency, the US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases.
>
> It’s the last place on Earth you would expect to have developed ties with Wuhan Institute of Virology researchers who, in turn, are engaging in secret Chinese military activity.
>
> An investigation by The Australian has revealed senior personnel at USAMRIID — its chief science officer, a laboratory director, a former commander and a research contractor — have been involved with the Wuhan Institute of Virology, even visiting its laboratories where risky research on coronaviruses took place.
>

> ///
>

> What Really Happened In Wuhan. A Virus Like No Other, Countless Infections, Millions of Deaths
> 2021 Sharri Markson
> https://annas-archive.org/md5/7e7ea79ee3d60a0fd0eacaf09f7505f9

Former deputy national security advisor Matthew Pottinger on U.S.-China tensions
By Washington Post Live March 6, 2023
https://www.washingtonpost.com/washington-post-live/2023/03/06/former-deputy-national-security-adviser-matthew-pottinger-us-china-tensions/

Matthew Pottinger served as the top Asia official on former president Donald Trump’s National Security Council and recently testified to the newly formed House select committee on China. Pottinger joins Washington Post foreign affairs columnist David Ignatius to discuss the rising tensions in the Sino-US relationship, China’s role in the global economy and the future of Taiwan.

Click here for transcript

https://www.washingtonpost.com/washington-post-live/2023/03/06/transcript-world-stage-china-with-matthew-pottinger/