From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: [OT] Liberal Party rejects Senate amendment to protect
self-expression
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 10:41:48 -0500
 by: Rhino - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 15:41 UTC

The (federal) Liberal government is trying to pass a law regulating
internet content in Canada. They insist that they are only targeting big
foreign content providers and trying to make them include Canadian
content; they've insisted that they DON'T want to regulate anything that
Canadians put on the internet. The Senate tried to amend the bill to
explicitly exempt Canadian social media from regulation under this bill.
The Liberal Party REFUSED to accept the amendment!

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/liberals-reject-user-content-amendment-online-streaming-bill

If the commenters are correct, the bill cannot pass without the Senate's
amendment. I sincerely hope they are right about that or we will very
soon find even social media content that we create subject to
regulation/restriction. Of course, this would be entirely consistent
with the strongly authoritarian direction of the Liberal Party under its
current leadership.

We DESPERATELY need an election in the very near future! I don't know if
we will survive until the next election is officially scheduled in 2025.
The one man that can make it happen, Jugmeat Singh, seems determined to
keep this government in power until 2025.

--
Rhino