Anger is momentary madness. -- Horace

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)Ian J. Ball
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)suzeeq
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)Ian J. Ball
|| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)suzeeq
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)Arthur Lipscomb
| +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)Ian J. Ball
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)Micky DuPree
|  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)Arthur Lipscomb
|   +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)suzeeq
|   +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)BTR1701
|   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)Micky DuPree
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)anim8rfsk

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)

<UBI20230219@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176113&group=rec.arts.tv#176113

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 04:30:40 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 09:30 UTC

I watched:

WE ARE THE 80'S

WE ARE THE 80'S

WE ARE THE 80'S

WE ARE THE 80'S

MYSTERIES OF THE UNIVERSE: OUR SOLAR SYSTEM:
"Jupiter's Alien Secrets". Experts aim to uncover what is hidden beneath
Jupiter's violent storms. The story of how humans built machines that not
only survived the perils of Jupiter, a massive and dangerous planet
surrounded by a wreath of deadly radiation, but revealed its innermost
secrets.

MYSTERIES OF THE UNIVERSE: OUR SOLAR SYSTEM:
"Secrets Of Saturn". Saturn is the crown jewel of the solar system. Using the
latest discoveries, top experts seek to unravel the mystery of why Saturn's
extensive ring system exists and if any of its many moons could harbor alien
life.

THEATER OF BLOOD:
Edward Lionheart is incensed that his last season of performances in
Shakespearean plays did not win him a prestigious acting award from critics.
After an unsuccessful attempt at suicide, Lionheart is rescued by a group of
drug-addicted bums. He then sets out to murder all of his critics, each with
a different style of death taken from a Shakespeare play. Why did this remind
me of Stephen Newp*rt?

ALL IN THE FAMILY:
"Archie Is Worried About His Job". When his company announces that it's
downsizing, Archie spends a night wondering if his job's been eliminated.
Naturally, all sorts of whacky things happened at the house and when he
realizes he's still employed, he doesn't give a shit about his subordinates
who did.

ALL IN THE FAMILY:
"Gloria Discovers Women's Lib". Women's lib hits the Bunker home and Gloria
hits the road after a dispute with Mike, whom she declares is a male
chauvinist. Wel, this didn't age well! Gloria spent most of the ep acting
like a petulent child because Meathead took Archie's side and they didn't
really resolve anything but had hot sex for an hour. To quote Archie,
"Whoopie!".

FAMILY GUY:
"Old West". The guys try to help Mayor Wild West reconnect with his estranged
father, Old West. This one was OK, but I did enjoy the revelation that
Peter's poltroon protagonist lived in a mansion because he got rich in the
coupon business).

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)

<tsvt4i$pcoj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176119&group=rec.arts.tv#176119

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 05:38:26 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 13:38 UTC

On 2023-02-20 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

I tried to catch up on the work/grading I didn't do on Sat. (and made
decent, though prob. insufficient progress!), so I didn't get through
much TV:

golf - The final day of the Genesis Invitational/L.A. Open played out
exactly lke you'd expect it to - Jon Rahm (mostly) held onto the lead
through the last day, and won comfortably over Max Homa by a couple of
strokes. Patrick Cantlay did well on the final day to get into 3rd
place, as did Will Zalatoris who vaulted himself into 4th place.

soaps: DOOL - Thur's ep was a dud. The Devil only agrees to see just
Marlena - and the Devil is... Doug!! (explains why he's still alive!)
Well, that was anticlimactic! Meanwhile, Devil-minion Nick Fallon busts
Kayla for "visiting" Steve... Meanwhile, they write out Will and Sonny
*again*, but disappointingly also write out Allie. (Which sucks, as I
was hoping she'd get together with Alex, who's now mostly left without
a storyline... :/ )
GH - Also, Thur's ep. Most of this was taken up with Trina
confronting Portia, with Portia admitting that she is unsure about
Trina's paternity, devistating Trina... Meanwhile, Maggie Fitzgerald
finally tells Sam and Dante that Esme's father is... Ryan Chamberlain!
And Ryan tells amnesiac Esme the same! (Esme doesn't take the new
well!) And in a massive contrivance, during their escape, Ryan doesn't
kill Mac when he gets the chance (IRL, Ryan would have killed Mac dead,
regardless!).

I'll get to "The Last of Us" tonight (Monday night).

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)

<tt034h$13uj2$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176125&group=rec.arts.tv#176125

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 07:20:49 -0800
 by: suzeeq - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 15:20 UTC

On 2/20/2023 5:38 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2023-02-20 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> I tried to catch up on the work/grading I didn't do on Sat. (and made
> decent, though prob. insufficient progress!), so I didn't get through
> much TV:
>
> golf - The final day of the Genesis Invitational/L.A. Open played out
> exactly lke you'd expect it to - Jon Rahm (mostly) held onto the lead
> through the last day, and won comfortably over Max Homa by a couple of
> strokes. Patrick Cantlay did well on the final day to get into 3rd
> place, as did Will Zalatoris who vaulted himself into 4th place.
>
> soaps: DOOL - Thur's ep was a dud. The Devil only agrees to see just
> Marlena - and the Devil is... Doug!! (explains why he's still alive!)
> Well, that was anticlimactic! Meanwhile, Devil-minion Nick Fallon busts
> Kayla for "visiting" Steve... Meanwhile, they write out Will and Sonny
> *again*, but disappointingly also write out Allie. (Which sucks, as I
> was hoping she'd get together with Alex, who's now mostly left without a
> storyline...  :/  )

With Sonny gone, he'll probably be running Titan. Until Philip comes
back.... That should be interesting. Romantically, Jada's little sister
also moves to Salem, and I think will get a job at the bakery.

>   GH - Also, Thur's ep. Most of this was taken up with Trina
> confronting Portia, with Portia admitting that she is unsure about
> Trina's paternity, devistating Trina... Meanwhile, Maggie Fitzgerald
> finally tells Sam and Dante that Esme's father is... Ryan Chamberlain!
> And Ryan tells amnesiac Esme the saThat me! (Esme doesn't take the new well!)
> And in a massive contrivance, during their escape, Ryan doesn't kill Mac
> when he gets the chance (IRL, Ryan would have killed Mac dead,
> regardless!).
>
> I'll get to "The Last of Us" tonight (Monday night).

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)

<tt0dfv$r3t4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176131&group=rec.arts.tv#176131

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 10:17:35 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 18:17 UTC

On 2023-02-20 15:20:49 +0000, suzeeq said:

> On 2/20/2023 5:38 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 2023-02-20 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> I tried to catch up on the work/grading I didn't do on Sat. (and made
>> decent, though prob. insufficient progress!), so I didn't get through
>> much TV:
>>
>> soaps: DOOL - Thur's ep was a dud. The Devil only agrees to see just
>> Marlena - and the Devil is... Doug!! (explains why he's still alive!)
>> Well, that was anticlimactic! Meanwhile, Devil-minion Nick Fallon busts
>> Kayla for "visiting" Steve... Meanwhile, they write out Will and Sonny
>> *again*, but disappointingly also write out Allie. (Which sucks, as I
>> was hoping she'd get together with Alex, who's now mostly left without
>> a storyline...  :/  )
>
> With Sonny gone, he'll probably be running Titan. Until Philip comes
> back.... That should be interesting. Romantically, Jada's little sister
> also moves to Salem, and I think will get a job at the bakery.

The problem with that is that I don't care about Jada in the least.
(And I care about Wendy only somewhat more than that!)

I wish they'd either kept Allie, or brought crazy Claire back...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)

<tt0f1o$r8q4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176138&group=rec.arts.tv#176138

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 10:44:08 -0800
 by: suzeeq - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 18:44 UTC

On 2/20/2023 10:17 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2023-02-20 15:20:49 +0000, suzeeq said:

>>> I tried to catch up on the work/grading I didn't do on Sat. (and made
>>> decent, though prob. insufficient progress!), so I didn't get through
>>> much TV:
>>>
>>> soaps: DOOL - Thur's ep was a dud. The Devil only agrees to see just
>>> Marlena - and the Devil is... Doug!! (explains why he's still alive!)
>>> Well, that was anticlimactic! Meanwhile, Devil-minion Nick Fallon
>>> busts Kayla for "visiting" Steve... Meanwhile, they write out Will
>>> and Sonny *again*, but disappointingly also write out Allie. (Which
>>> sucks, as I was hoping she'd get together with Alex, who's now mostly
>>> left without a storyline...  :/  )
>>
>> With Sonny gone, he'll probably be running Titan. Until Philip comes
>> back.... That should be interesting. Romantically, Jada's little
>> sister also moves to Salem, and I think will get a job at the bakery.
>
> The problem with that is that I don't care about Jada in the least. (And
> I care about Wendy only somewhat more than that!)

Yeah, they haven't done much with her, except provide a temporary
distraction for Eric. Now they'll probably try to get her together with
Rafe. Maybe her sister will have more personality.

> I wish they'd either kept Allie, or brought crazy Claire back...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)

<tt0ga8$rdia$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176139&group=rec.arts.tv#176139

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 09:30:06 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 17:30 UTC

On 2/20/2023 5:38 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2023-02-20 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> I tried to catch up on the work/grading I didn't do on Sat. (and made
> decent, though prob. insufficient progress!), so I didn't get through
> much TV:
>
> golf - The final day of the Genesis Invitational/L.A. Open played out
> exactly lke you'd expect it to - Jon Rahm (mostly) held onto the lead
> through the last day, and won comfortably over Max Homa by a couple of
> strokes. Patrick Cantlay did well on the final day to get into 3rd
> place, as did Will Zalatoris who vaulted himself into 4th place.
>
> soaps: DOOL - Thur's ep was a dud. The Devil only agrees to see just
> Marlena - and the Devil is... Doug!! (explains why he's still alive!)
> Well, that was anticlimactic! Meanwhile, Devil-minion Nick Fallon busts
> Kayla for "visiting" Steve... Meanwhile, they write out Will and Sonny
> *again*, but disappointingly also write out Allie. (Which sucks, as I
> was hoping she'd get together with Alex, who's now mostly left without a
> storyline...  :/  )
>   GH - Also, Thur's ep. Most of this was taken up with Trina
> confronting Portia, with Portia admitting that she is unsure about
> Trina's paternity, devistating Trina... Meanwhile, Maggie Fitzgerald
> finally tells Sam and Dante that Esme's father is... Ryan Chamberlain!
> And Ryan tells amnesiac Esme the same! (Esme doesn't take the new well!)
> And in a massive contrivance, during their escape, Ryan doesn't kill Mac
> when he gets the chance (IRL, Ryan would have killed Mac dead,
> regardless!).
>
> I'll get to "The Last of Us" tonight (Monday night).

I watched:

Scream - I binged through all the movies. I originally had no plans to
revisit all of the movies since I just watched them last year. But I
found myself doing it anyway. They were pretty much pure background
noise with the commentary track. They all hold up very well, with 3
being the only clunker. I still like how the plot of 4 involves them
getting sliced and diced while holding a "Stab" movie marathon. This
was my first time watching 5 since seeing it in theaters. It also holds
up very well. 5 also stars Jenna Ortega ("Wednesday Adams" from
"Wednesday") who will be returning for Scream 6.

Mayfair Witches - "Tessa" - Episode 7 and I think the penultimate
episode. Whatever happened to the days when a series had 22-26 episodes
per season? Anyway in a plot that would feel right at home on
"Motherland: Fort Salem" a young witch is captured by witch hunters and
Daddario takes it upon herself to rescue her. Daddario's ability to
kill with a look comes in handy...

The Last of Us - "Kin" - Joel finally makes it to his brother and to his
surprise finds his brother is doing great and doesn't need to be rescued.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)

<tt0mk7$s46m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176154&group=rec.arts.tv#176154

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 12:53:27 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 20:53 UTC

On 2023-02-20 17:30:06 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> I watched:
>
> Scream - I binged through all the movies. I originally had no plans to
> revisit all of the movies since I just watched them last year. But I
> found myself doing it anyway. They were pretty much pure background
> noise with the commentary track. They all hold up very well, with 3
> being the only clunker. I still like how the plot of 4 involves them
> getting sliced and diced while holding a "Stab" movie marathon. This
> was my first time watching 5 since seeing it in theaters. It also
> holds up very well. 5 also stars Jenna Ortega ("Wednesday Adams" from
> "Wednesday") who will be returning for Scream 6.

I keep missing the latest one. It was on either HBO or Showtime, I
think, but it left before I could get to it...

> Mayfair Witches - "Tessa"

I keep forgetting about this show!!

> The Last of Us - "Kin"

I should get to this tonight...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)

<1066438127.698629596.814366.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176227&group=rec.arts.tv#176227

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 04:21:12 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 11:21 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> I watched:
>

> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

A GIRL AND AN ASTRONAUT 2022 recommended by the Netflix.
A six episode, Polish series, ostensively science fiction. We get about
three minutes of science fiction at the beginning of the first episode, and
then it turns into a Polish soft porn version of THE RIGHT STUFF. But I am
making it sound way too good.

in the three minutes at the beginning, we see which one of the astronauts
goes on the mission so the whole rest of the series which is them training
and us supposedly wondering which one will go on the mission is worthless.
Because we already know. Mostly we get Polish girls that I can’t tell
apart, drinking and swearing and screwing Polish boys that I can’t tell
apart.

The end makes no sense at all since it’s some sort of recurring, dream
image and I don’t know if the characters died or were always dead or are
just dreaming or what.

But at least the plot makes no sense. The guy was testing a cloaking
technology and vanished for 30 years and came back the same age when he
left and for some reason they’re assuming this will cure all disease, but
it’s obvious that he was in complete suspension the whole time so it’s not
like this is a technique you could use to reverse disease.

But at least it’s terribly dubbed. It sounds like an old Sandy Frank
cartoon. I don’t know if I can blame the writer for total incompetence
because I have no idea if I’m hearing her words.

Thumbs way down on this one.

THE LAW ACCORDING TO LIDIA POET 2023 recommended by the Netflix.
The true story of the first female attorney in Italy in the 1870s. It’s
sort of interesting and HEY, SHE’S NAKED RIGHT AT THE START. HEY, THE
MURDERED GIRL IS NAKED TOO! This might not be so bad after all. All caps
on. HEY, GET THAT PENIS OFF THE SCREEN! At least it was out of focus. NO,
IT’S BACK AND THEY GOT IT IN FOCUS.
The cases might be interesting, but we don’t really see them. What we see
is the bad bad men being mean to the poor downtrodden girl. I watched two
episodes and I think I’m done.

IT’S BURKES LAW
With episodes written by Harlan Ellison, and starring William Shatner and
Michael Ansara!

STAGECOACH WEST
I watched a couple more episodes of this but it’s an hour long and not all
that interesting.

WHITE FEATHER
OK, this was pretty good. A 1955 Cinemascope western with an impossibly
young and scrawny Robert Wagner, Jeffrey Hunter and Hugh O’Brian as the
Indian braves, and Debra Paget as the impossibly cute and horny Indian
maiden. unfortunately, the inspiration channel only showed the titles in
Cinemascope and the rest of it was 16:9. But it was worth a watch,
especially if you can find it someplace that runs it correctly.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)

<ttaca6$4u8$1@pcls7.std.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176735&group=rec.arts.tv#176735

From: MDuP...@theworld.com.snip.to.reply (Micky DuPree)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 12:58:46 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Micky DuPree - Fri, 24 Feb 2023 12:58 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:

> The Last of Us - "Kin" - Joel finally makes it to his brother and to
> his surprise finds his brother is doing great and doesn't need to be
> rescued.

I loved that plot development, but it did seem to take the wind out of
Joel, as if he doesn't have an identity if he's not saving someone.
What stopped making sense to me was that he could have stashed Ellie in
this safe place and gone looking for the scientists without further
subjecting her to the dangers of the open trail. There's only one Ellie
so far as we know. Go back for Ellie once the scientists are located.

I've recently caught up with and finished off _New Amsterdam_ and _The
Resident_. The end of _New Amsterdam_ reminded me a little of the end
of _ReGenesis_. The end of _The Resident_ couldn't just wrap everyone's
storyline up, but they did give everyone a final report. Bell still has
MS, but he's going to enter Devon's clinical trial. Ian is still an
addict, but he's going to submit to supervision. The hospital is safe
for the time being from being closed. It was a little rushed, but a
good effort not to just pull the plug in midstream.

-Micky

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)

<ttaj2c$283j2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176738&group=rec.arts.tv#176738

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 06:54:03 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Fri, 24 Feb 2023 14:54 UTC

On 2/24/2023 4:58 AM, Micky DuPree wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:
>
>> The Last of Us - "Kin" - Joel finally makes it to his brother and to
>> his surprise finds his brother is doing great and doesn't need to be
>> rescued.
>
> I loved that plot development, but it did seem to take the wind out of
> Joel, as if he doesn't have an identity if he's not saving someone.
> What stopped making sense to me was that he could have stashed Ellie in
> this safe place and gone looking for the scientists without further
> subjecting her to the dangers of the open trail. There's only one Ellie
> so far as we know. Go back for Ellie once the scientists are located.

Not sure I agree. Theoretically, they already know where the scientists
are, more or less. The point is to get her to the scientists. They
know it's a dangerous trip which is why he was hired. It's not like
once he locates the scientists he can hop on a plane to get her and fly
back. It's still a dangerous trek on the ground, only now he has to make
it twice. So get her there on the first trip, or die trying.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)

<ttan65$1949b$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176749&group=rec.arts.tv#176749

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 08:04:21 -0800
 by: suzeeq - Fri, 24 Feb 2023 16:04 UTC

On 2/24/2023 6:54 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 2/24/2023 4:58 AM, Micky DuPree wrote:
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:
>>
>>> The Last of Us - "Kin" - Joel finally makes it to his brother and to
>>> his surprise finds his brother is doing great and doesn't need to be
>>> rescued.
>>
>> I loved that plot development, but it did seem to take the wind out of
>> Joel, as if he doesn't have an identity if he's not saving someone.
>> What stopped making sense to me was that he could have stashed Ellie in
>> this safe place and gone looking for the scientists without further
>> subjecting her to the dangers of the open trail.  There's only one Ellie
>> so far as we know.  Go back for Ellie once the scientists are located.
>>

> Not sure I agree.  Theoretically, they already know where the scientists
> are, more or less.  The point is to get her to the scientists.  They
> know it's a dangerous trip which is why he was hired.  It's not like
> once he locates the scientists he can hop on a plane to get her and fly
> back. It's still a dangerous trek on the ground, only now he has to make
> it twice.  So get her there on the first trip, or die trying.

Besides, Ellie refused to stay behind.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)

<atropos-BF7E43.09234924022023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176760&group=rec.arts.tv#176760

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 09:23:49 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 24 Feb 2023 17:23 UTC

In article <ttaj2c$283j2$1@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> On 2/24/2023 4:58 AM, Micky DuPree wrote:
> > Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:
> >
> >> The Last of Us - "Kin" - Joel finally makes it to his brother and to
> >> his surprise finds his brother is doing great and doesn't need to be
> >> rescued.
> >
> > I loved that plot development, but it did seem to take the wind out of
> > Joel, as if he doesn't have an identity if he's not saving someone.
> > What stopped making sense to me was that he could have stashed Ellie in
> > this safe place and gone looking for the scientists without further
> > subjecting her to the dangers of the open trail. There's only one Ellie
> > so far as we know. Go back for Ellie once the scientists are located.

> Not sure I agree. Theoretically, they already know where the scientists
> are, more or less. The point is to get her to the scientists.

Except they only think they know. Turns out they were wrong and the
scientists are gone. If they'd left the girl in Jackson Hole, she'd be a
lot safer than now having to deal with being pursued by murderous
bandits while Joel bleeds out on the railroad tracks.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-19 (Sunday)

<tubpv8$2t9$3@pcls7.std.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=178274&group=rec.arts.tv#178274

From: MDuP...@theworld.com.snip.to.reply (Micky DuPree)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 05:14:16 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Micky DuPree - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 05:14 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:

> On 2/24/2023 4:58 AM, Micky DuPree wrote:

>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:

>>> The Last of Us - "Kin" - Joel finally makes it to his brother and to
>>> his surprise finds his brother is doing great and doesn't need to be
>>> rescued.
>>
>> I loved that plot development, but it did seem to take the wind out
>> of Joel, as if he doesn't have an identity if he's not saving
>> someone. What stopped making sense to me was that he could have
>> stashed Ellie in this safe place and gone looking for the scientists
>> without further subjecting her to the dangers of the open trail.
>> There's only one Ellie so far as we know. Go back for Ellie once the
>> scientists are located.
>
> Not sure I agree. Theoretically, they already know where the
> scientists are, more or less. The point is to get her to the
> scientists. They know it's a dangerous trip which is why he was
> hired. It's not like once he locates the scientists he can hop on a
> plane to get her and fly back. It's still a dangerous trek on the
> ground, only now he has to make it twice. So get her there on the
> first trip, or die trying.

I keep coming back to the fact that there's only one Ellie, and she was
close to death multiple times during their trip up to that point. In
the brutal grand scheme of things, Joel is dispensable. Ellie is not.

-Micky