From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-07 (Tuesday)
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 04:30:40 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 09:30 UTC

I watched:

Several YouTube videos about Star Trek.

MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATRE 3000:
"The Million Eyes of Sumuru". Sumuru is a beautiful but evil woman who plans
world domination by having her sexy all-female army eliminate male leaders
and replace them with her female agents.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-07 (Tuesday)

<tuapvb$12k0n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=178239&group=rec.arts.tv#178239

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-07 (Tuesday)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 12:08:11 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 20:08 UTC

On 2023-03-08 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

I worked half-a-day yesterday, and ran errands afterwards. Bottom line:
I didn't get through too much TV yesterday:

soaps: GH - Mon's ep. The scenes Obrecht and Willow were pretty good -
I think Liesel is wearing her down... Spencer has to give up custody
(at least temporarily) of the baby; later, he confronts Esme, who
stupidly insists upon taking the baby to prison with her. Austin's
EVOL!!1! cousin confronts him, and let's Austin know that he knows what
Austin and Ava did with Nikolas.
DOOL - Tues' ep. EJ switches the drug/poison on Stefan who later
goes to see Gabi and tells Gabi to continue her arrangement with Li in
order to hold on to the DiMera shares. EJ tells Johnny that the drugs
are Stefan's (techincally true!), but Wendy is suspicious... Lady
Whistleblower parades Sloan's sex life publicly! declaring that her sex
with Eric is the "best sex [Sloan] has ever had"! LOL! This prompts
Sloan to make up with Eric! (WTH?!!) and she gets Eric out of jail.

The Last of Us (HBO Max) - "When We Are in Need" (ep. #1.8, the
penultimate episode). I actually thought this episode was pretty good -
I think I liked it more than Arthur did. It may have been derivative,
but it was well executed.
I like how Joel, at least, is definitely a "closer"!
Ellie comes across the rest of the "raider group" (I like how they
claim they're not "raiders", when they clearly are!!) from the previous
episode, and they're led by a "preacher" who seems to be a good guy,
but you can totally tell he's not. (The giveaway is when he later slaps
a 12-year old girl for questioning him!) Preacher-dude sees something
in Ellie, and wants to make her his minion.
Luckily, Ellie manages to get some antibiotics for Joel along the
way. When the dudes take Ellie away as a captive, Joel is recovered
enough to do his own killin'! in order to get Ellie back!
It turns out Ellie didn't really need Joel's help.
They're reunited again at the end, but I was a little put out that
they aren't going to show us what was going to happen to the rest of
the preacher's group after all of this...

The rest of the night, Siffy channel was running "Resident Evil"
flicks, so I watched "Afterlife" and "Retribution" as background. (Once
again, their RE marathon didn't include "The Final Chapter" - there is
something weird about the rights of "The Final Chapter", because it
regularly is left out of collections of all of the other RE movies...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-07 (Tuesday)

<272003549.700010342.507264.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=178257&group=rec.arts.tv#178257

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 16:52:19 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 23:52 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> I watched:
>
> Several YouTube videos about Star Trek.
>
> MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATRE 3000:
> "The Million Eyes of Sumuru". Sumuru is a beautiful but evil woman who plans
> world domination by having her sexy all-female army eliminate male leaders
> and replace them with her female agents.

There is a recently restored version of Sumuru that’s wide screen, and
beautiful to look at which helps a lot. As I recall, MST3K has the old pan
and scan version that looks like it was filmed through a sock.

> What did you watch?

Hey thanks for asking!

SCALPLOCK (1967) on GRIT

This happened to start just as I was flipping past the channel. It begins
with a bunch of stock shots of the wanderer train. It occurred to me. It
looks like IRON HORSE except the DVR wasn’t recording it, so it couldn’t be
that…

So it turns out that it’s the movie version (I don’t know if it’s actually
theatrical or made for TV) of the pilot episode for IRON HORSE.

Now, I’ve seen a lot of these alternate version shows and generally enjoy
seeing the differences. But this is the wackiest one I’ve ever sat through!

The material in it seems to be based entirely on the first episode (which
is only an hour, and the movie is two). It’s not one of these movies that
piece together from bits and bites of several different episodes. But it’s
almost a completely different project! and I can’t even figure out which
came first.

Major characters from the series are missing or are played by different
actors or are replaced by different characters doing the same scenes.
There’s a love interest who doesn’t appear on the TV show at all but many
of the scenes she’s in are exactly the same except she’s not standing
there! The villain is a different character and actor, although his name is
mentioned in the TV show (and his portrait hangs in the whores private
cabin) he just never appears. Gary Collins, who is the construction
engineer for the railroad is nowhere in sight. Bob Random does basically
the same stuff as a sidekick, but has different origin scenes. Diana
Hyland, the trains whore, leaves on her own in the TV show, but leaves with
the villain in the movie, because he’s richer!

Much of the additional material is backstory for what would be the series
regulars. Of course we don’t really care about them in a one shot movie. To
that end this would’ve worked better if the movie had begun the series.

Ian’s Wikipedia article says that the protagonist, Ben Calhoun, never gets
laid in the series. Well, he gets laid twice in the movie!

A lot of the stuff that I found to be a total mystery in the TV show is
answered here. Of course, the TV show may have had that material and it was
just cut out.

Oh, we also find out the name of the railroad is:

Buffalo Pass, Scalplock, & Defiance Railroad

In the show, they just call it the BPS & D. Apparently these are three
towns that the train will eventually connect. They finally reach Scalplock,
which is apparently why the movie is called what it is. And the area the
train will serve is 10 miles x 120 miles, which makes it unlikely that it
will be carrying herds of cattle back east…

I also watched a couple episodes of MATT HOUSTON, both of which turned out
to be blatant rip offs of episodes of MAGNUM PI, as well as a couple
episodes of BURKES LAW, which continue to be fun, although the ugly shadow
of AMOS BURKE SECRET AGENT looms ahead.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-07 (Tuesday)

<tuf7du$1v38l$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=178374&group=rec.arts.tv#178374

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 04:30:42 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 09:30 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>> I watched:
>>
>> Several YouTube videos about Star Trek.
>>
>> MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATRE 3000:
>> "The Million Eyes of Sumuru". Sumuru is a beautiful but evil woman who
>> plans world domination by having her sexy all-female army eliminate male
>> leaders and replace them with her female agents.
>
>There is a recently restored version of Sumuru that's wide screen, and
>beautiful to look at which helps a lot. As I recall, MST3K has the old pan
>and scan version that looks like it was filmed through a sock.

At the risk of arousing "trotsky", that seems like gilding a turd.

They replaced the prints with better copies for a few eps in the annual
Turkey Day marathon.

--
Let's go Brandon!