Love thy neighbor, tune thy piano.

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2023-03-11 (Saturday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-03-11 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-11 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
|`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-11 (Saturday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-11 (Saturday)Dimensional Traveler
|`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-11 (Saturday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-11 (Saturday)Adam H. Kerman
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-11 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-11 (Saturday)Adam H. Kerman
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-11 (Saturday)Ubiquitous

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-03-11 (Saturday)

<tul5m5$364g4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=178602&group=rec.arts.tv#178602

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-11 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 11:29:25 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 18:29 UTC

Yesterday, I forced myself to get back to grading - the good news is
that I am now totally caught up on grading at my main job! But I got
through less TV viewing yesterday as a result...:

soaps: DOOL (The Peacock!) - I think I got through 2 ep's of this
yesterday - maybe Tues' and Wed's ep's(?). The "poisoning" storyline
between Stefan and EJ has gotten completely out of control, and looks
like it's about to "blow up"! Meanwhile, Johnny did something
completely underhanded and Tripp caught him. Paulina tells Chanel that
their accounts are frozen and to not spend any money - Chanel hires
Jada's sister anyway. [roll] Rafe seems interested in Jada. [roll] Alex
keeps acting like a jerk with Maggie as his new boss - if he had a
shred of intergity, he would have just resigned when Maggie was
installed.

golf - Day 3 at the Player's at Sawgrass in FL. By the end of Day
three, it looked like Scott Scheffler had things well in hand - a
betting man would put money on him to win this.

C.B. Strike (HBO Max) - "Troubled Blood: Part 4". It may be my
imagination, but this seemed like the best of the five "mysteries" so
far - totally did not see the identity of the killer coming, and
between Strike's confronting the killer in this episode (juxaposed with
Robin and their flunky finding the body!), along with Strike
"interviewing" the serial killer in the previous episode... and, well,
this felt like the best one yet.
One element I did not care for was the new idiot flunky, who ends up
sexually harassing Robin, and then getting fired. (I hope that ends
here, and we don't see this guy back in "Book 6" stalking Robin or
something.) But I do like the new receptionist who irritates C.B.!
The side-story stuff with Strike's family was OK. And it looks like
we are finally rid of Robin's short-lived "husband".
This one seems to end with Strike and Robin closer than ever - they
are almost dating in the last scene of this one.
Luckily, BBC just struck a deal with J.K. Rowling to do more of
these, so I think a series based on the sixth book is already in the
works.

Girl in the Closet (Lifetime) - Effective. Or, rather, this would have
been effective if it had been based on a *real* story. Well, it kind of
is based on a real story - it's just that the particulars of the real
story bear little resemblence to what is depicted in this movie.
So, the movie is horrific. But as it's not really based on a real
story, it loses all of its impact, IMO.

Recorded for later: I noticed that Paramount Channel was running the
pilot episode of the new Pee+ series "School Spirits", so I recorded it
for later viewing. Unfortunately, it looks like only the pilot is
getting rebroadcast on "linear TeeVee", so I won't be able to see later
episodes regardless...

What did you watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-11 (Saturday)

<tul7ll$36fe6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=178609&group=rec.arts.tv#178609

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-11 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 12:03:07 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 19:03 UTC

On 3/12/2023 11:29 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> Yesterday, I forced myself to get back to grading - the good news is
> that I am now totally caught up on grading at my main job! But I got
> through less TV viewing yesterday as a result...:
>
> soaps: DOOL (The Peacock!) - I think I got through 2 ep's of this
> yesterday - maybe Tues' and Wed's ep's(?). The "poisoning" storyline
> between Stefan and EJ has gotten completely out of control, and looks
> like it's about to "blow up"! Meanwhile, Johnny did something completely
> underhanded and Tripp caught him. Paulina tells Chanel that their
> accounts are frozen and to not spend any money - Chanel hires Jada's
> sister anyway. [roll] Rafe seems interested in Jada. [roll] Alex keeps
> acting like a jerk with Maggie as his new boss - if he had a shred of
> intergity, he would have just resigned when Maggie was installed.
>
> golf - Day 3 at the Player's at Sawgrass in FL. By the end of Day three,
> it looked like Scott Scheffler had things well in hand - a betting man
> would put money on him to win this.
>
> C.B. Strike (HBO Max) - "Troubled Blood: Part 4". It may be my
> imagination, but this seemed like the best of the five "mysteries"

They really need a new name. I think action show every time I see that
title.

> Girl in the Closet (Lifetime) - Effective. Or, rather, this would have
> been effective if it had been based on a *real* story. Well, it kind of
> is based on a real story - it's just that the particulars of the real
> story bear little resemblence to what is depicted in this movie.
>   So, the movie is horrific. But as it's not really based on a real
> story, it loses all of its impact, IMO.
>
> Recorded for later: I noticed that Paramount Channel was running the
> pilot episode of the new Pee+ series "School Spirits",

That reminds me, I need to track down "School Spirits."

so I recorded it
> for later viewing. Unfortunately, it looks like only the pilot is
> getting rebroadcast on "linear TeeVee", so I won't be able to see later
> episodes regardless...
>

> What did you watch?

I think this is a two-day catch up. I watched:

The Equalizer - "He Ain't Heavy" - Episode from a few weeks ago. I
didn't give it my full attention but it had something to do with Mel
saving her brother from gangsters who needed his help to steal money.
It seemed to me like Mel's cover was essentially blown during this
episode which should mean McCall's cover was blown too. But I guess
they have enough friends on the force to sweep things like this under
the rug. I also took note how a couple of episodes back McCall was
hypocritically lecturing a would be rival vigilante not to kill people
while this week team McCall is back to putting a bullet in anyone who
even looks at them sideways.

Ghosts - "A Date to Remember" Sam bullies Jay into giving up their
valentine's day so they can give Thor and Flower a date night instead.

Point Break (blu-ray) 1991 action movie starring Keanu Reeves as an FBI
agent who goes undercover to infiltrate a group of surfers (led by
Patrick Swayze) that he suspects are also bank robbers. Holds up well
enough I guess, as long as you turn your brain off and just go with it.

Point Break (3D blu-ray) 2015 remake that updates the premise from an
FBI agent going undercover to infiltrate surfers to an FBI agent going
undercover to infiltrate extreme sports enthusiasts. Other than the
names of the main characters this barely felt like the first one and
might has well have been any other generic undercover cop going after
bank robbers movie. It's an OK movie but nothing special. Its' main
claim to fame is how good it looks.

Fantasy Island (Tubi) - "Jungle Man" / "Mary Ann and Miss Sophisticate"
- Episode from the original series featuring Annette Funicello (who I
mistakenly thought was Dawn Wells at first) as a ventriloquist who goes
to Fantasy Island for help dealing with her dummy. But Roarke brings
the evil dummy to life, and she is forced to feel what the dummy feels.
I had to look up who played the dummy. It was Maren Jensen who played
"Athena" on the original Batlestar Galactica. In the b-plot Dennis Cole
stars as a typecast actor who wishes to become his character for real.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-11 (Saturday)

<tuliou$3903h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=178629&group=rec.arts.tv#178629

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 15:12:47 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 22:12 UTC

On 3/12/2023 11:29 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

> What did you watch?

I watched 'The Purge: Anarchy' (Netflix disc)
The second movie in the franchise this one takes place <checks calendar>
NEXT WEEK?!?!? AAAHHHHH!!! I've got to buy ammo, now!

Okay, guns are loaded and traps are ready to prime. This installment
obviously had a much larger budget than the first. Recognizable actors
who weren't personal friends of the director and filming in LA (at
night) made that obvious. The horror is still there but the political
commentary is ramped up and there is a little more background on the
Purgeverse. The heroes in this one are a poor, minority mother and
daughter; a bickering married couple caught out on Purge Night because
of a vehicle breakdown and an unnamed man out for payback for the death
of his young son. (First movie the protagonists were a well-to-do
family.) They start out separately and come together by chance. The
lone gunman initially doesn't want to have the other four tagging along
but his sense of responsibility has him help them get to a safe place
that turns out to not be so safe. There is more fighting as they try to
escape Purge Night hunters and two of them are lost along the way. The
Resistance to the NFFA and the Purge make their first appearance. The
remaining three all go to carry out lone gunman's revenge with the two
surviving tag-alongs trying to talk him out of it. There is a dramatic
ending I won't spoil.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-11 (Saturday)

<tum93r$3iinr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=178653&group=rec.arts.tv#178653

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 04:34:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 04:34 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>C.B. Strike (HBO Max) - "Troubled Blood: Part 4". It may be my
>imagination, but this seemed like the best of the five "mysteries" so
>far - totally did not see the identity of the killer coming, and
>between Strike's confronting the killer in this episode (juxaposed with
>Robin and their flunky finding the body!), along with Strike
>"interviewing" the serial killer in the previous episode... and, well,
>this felt like the best one yet.

Told ya'. I liked the revelation and it didn't feel like a cheat.

> One element I did not care for was the new idiot flunky, who ends up
>sexually harassing Robin, and then getting fired. (I hope that ends
>here, and we don't see this guy back in "Book 6" stalking Robin or
>something.)

This was the unnecessary subplot I objected to. I agree. I don't want to
see the character again.

>But I do like the new receptionist who irritates C.B.!

Heh

> The side-story stuff with Strike's family was OK. And it looks like
>we are finally rid of Robin's short-lived "husband".

The getting rid of him bit took five times as long as the marriage!

> This one seems to end with Strike and Robin closer than ever - they
>are almost dating in the last scene of this one.
> Luckily, BBC just struck a deal with J.K. Rowling to do more of
>these, so I think a series based on the sixth book is already in the
>works.

Where did you read that? They seem to buy adaptation rights on a
per-book basis. I'm glad to hear it.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-11 (Saturday)

<UBI20230311@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=178661&group=rec.arts.tv#178661

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 04:30:41 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 09:30 UTC

In article <tul7ll$36fe6$1@dont-email.me>, arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:

>Fantasy Island (Tubi) - "Jungle Man" / "Mary Ann and Miss Sophisticate"
>- Episode from the original series featuring Annette Funicello (who I
>mistakenly thought was Dawn Wells at first) as a ventriloquist who goes
>to Fantasy Island for help dealing with her dummy. But Roarke brings
>the evil dummy to life, and she is forced to feel what the dummy feels.
>I had to look up who played the dummy. It was Maren Jensen who played
>"Athena" on the original Batlestar Galactica. In the b-plot Dennis Cole
>stars as a typecast actor who wishes to become his character for real.

Hey! I saw that a coupkle days ago! Interesting premise but not nearly enough
time to develop enough.

I don't recall what I watched, but then again, I had allergy trouble and
spent the afternoon at cook-out with one of our gaming group.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-11 (Saturday)

<tun5cu$3osgm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=178669&group=rec.arts.tv#178669

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 05:36:46 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 12:36 UTC

On 2023-03-13 04:34:03 +0000, Adam H. Kerman said:

> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> C.B. Strike (HBO Max) - "Troubled Blood: Part 4". It may be my
>> imagination, but this seemed like the best of the five "mysteries" so
>> far - totally did not see the identity of the killer coming, and
>> between Strike's confronting the killer in this episode (juxaposed with
>> Robin and their flunky finding the body!), along with Strike
>> "interviewing" the serial killer in the previous episode... and, well,
>> this felt like the best one yet.
>
> Told ya'. I liked the revelation and it didn't feel like a cheat.
>
>> One element I did not care for was the new idiot flunky, who ends up
>> sexually harassing Robin, and then getting fired. (I hope that ends
>> here, and we don't see this guy back in "Book 6" stalking Robin or
>> something.)
>
> This was the unnecessary subplot I objected to. I agree. I don't want to
> see the character again.
>
>> But I do like the new receptionist who irritates C.B.!
>
> Heh
>
>> The side-story stuff with Strike's family was OK. And it looks like
>> we are finally rid of Robin's short-lived "husband".
>
> The getting rid of him bit took five times as long as the marriage!
>
>> This one seems to end with Strike and Robin closer than ever - they
>> are almost dating in the last scene of this one.
>> Luckily, BBC just struck a deal with J.K. Rowling to do more of
>> these, so I think a series based on the sixth book is already in the
>> works.
>
> Where did you read that? They seem to buy adaptation rights on a
> per-book basis. I'm glad to hear it.

Deadline (a few days ago):

https://deadline.com/2023/03/bbc-renew-strike-jk-rowling-season-6-1235281258/

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-11 (Saturday)

<tuncd6$3q09d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=178673&group=rec.arts.tv#178673

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 14:36:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 14:36 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>On 2023-03-13 04:34:03 +0000, Adam H. Kerman said:
>>Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>>. . .
>>>This one seems to end with Strike and Robin closer than ever - they
>>>are almost dating in the last scene of this one.
>>>Luckily, BBC just struck a deal with J.K. Rowling to do more of
>>>these, so I think a series based on the sixth book is already in the
>>>works.

>>Where did you read that? They seem to buy adaptation rights on a
>>per-book basis. I'm glad to hear it.

>Deadline (a few days ago):

>https://deadline.com/2023/03/bbc-renew-strike-jk-rowling-season-6-1235281258/

Thanks

The article had links to two other articles about apologies BBC was
forced to make to JK Rowling for unchallenged accusations against her on
two different radio programs:

https://deadline.com/2023/02/bbc-complaints-jk-rowling-transphobic-1235261819/

https://deadline.com/2023/02/bbc-apologizes-again-jk-rowling-transphobia-1235266083/

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-11 (Saturday)

<tupl0v$a382$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=178794&group=rec.arts.tv#178794

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 04:30:44 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 09:30 UTC

In article <tul5m5$364g4$1@dont-email.me>, IJBall@mac.invalid wrote:

> What did you watch?

Nothing very memorable.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-11 (Saturday)

<tupl5f$a382$8@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=178795&group=rec.arts.tv#178795

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 04:30:45 -0500

In article <tuliou$3903h$1@dont-email.me>, dtravel@sonic.net wrote:
> On 3/12/2023 11:29 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

>> What did you watch?
>
>I watched 'The Purge: Anarchy' (Netflix disc)
>The second movie in the franchise this one takes place <checks calendar>
>NEXT WEEK?!?!? AAAHHHHH!!! I've got to buy ammo, now!
>
>Okay, guns are loaded and traps are ready to prime. This installment
>obviously had a much larger budget than the first. Recognizable actors
>who weren't personal friends of the director and filming in LA (at
>night) made that obvious. The horror is still there but the political
>commentary is ramped up and there is a little more background on the
>Purgeverse. The heroes in this one are a poor, minority mother and
>daughter; a bickering married couple caught out on Purge Night because
>of a vehicle breakdown

That's what happens when you seek shelter at the last moment.

--
Let's go Brandon!