From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.news-media,alt.journalism,alt.censorship,msnbc.breakingnews
Subject: Eric Swalwell Doesn't Want To Dictate What Channels The Military Can Watch -- Unless They Like Fox News
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 13:06:11 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 17:06 UTC

Congressman Eric Swalwell (D-CA) suggested on Saturday that despite not
wanting to "get in the business of telling troops what they can and cannot
watch," he might be open to banning Fox News on military installations.

Swalwell joined MSNBC host Katie Phang on Saturday, and she fretted about the
ongoing Dominion lawsuit and the "damage" she believed was being done by Fox
News, asking whether Congress was ready to get involved.

WATCH:

"Nothing makes [our troops] feel more like home than their access
to American television programming, and a popular channel is Fox
News," says Democrat Eric Swalwell.

"We need to take a look at how [Fox News] is being broadcast to our
troops." pic.twitter.com/tzJeTfyEoU

-- RNC Research (@RNCResearch) March 11, 2023

"Has there been any discussions in Congress about maybe congressional
oversight, regulations, maybe the FCC getting involved? I know we all respect
the First Amendment, Congressman, but should there be some type of
gatekeeping that happens so that this doesn't happen again?" Phang asked.

Swalwell referenced a recent push from political action committee VoteVets to
ban Fox News on military installations, adding that he understood it could be
a particularly heavy lift because the network is popular with American
service members.

"FOX hosts' election lies and disinformation splits the ranks, hurts unit
cohesion, and weakens America's national defense," the PAC tweeted. "They
must be removed from all TVs on military installations NOW."

FOX hosts' election lies and disinformation splits the ranks, hurts
unit cohesion, and weakens America's national defense. They must be
removed from all TVs on military installations NOW.

Share if you agree! pic.twitter.com/1a6WiYB0hV

-- VoteVets (@votevets) March 6, 2023

"Nothing makes them feel more like home than their access to American
television programming," he said

"I don't want to get in the business of telling troops what they can and
cannot watch," he said. "But, if you have a news station that a court is
going to rule is, in its evening hour, you know, perpetuating dis- and
misinformation, I don't know if I disagree with VoteVets, who was saying that
we need to take a look at, you know, how this is being broadcast to our
troops," Swalwell continued.

"I don't think we're without complete recourse," the California Congressman
said, appearing to suggest that threats of Congressional oversight would be
"an incentive for Fox News to clean up" programming that did not fall in
line.

Democrats and a number of legacy media talking heads have spent much of the
last week criticizing Fox News and popular host Tucker Carlson over his
broadcast of previously unseen footage from the January 6th riot on Capitol
Hill.

[Swalwell should re-familairize himself with the 1st Amendment.]

--
Let's go Brandon!

arts / rec.arts.tv / Eric Swalwell Doesn't Want To Dictate What Channels The Military Can Watch -- Unless They Like Fox News