From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Daylight Saving Time schedule weirdness
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 13:40:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 13:40 UTC

Did anyone else experience weirdness with schedules on Sunday when
Daylight Saving Time began?

On TCM, it's like the on screen listings made sense as I saw a movie
scheduled to begin at 7 pm CDT, which they do every night, but movies
were starting an hour later than the on screen guide showed. It made
more sense than the satellite feed was delayed an hour and that the
guide was what was intended.

On the other hand, I'd recorded Fiddler on the Roof because Topol had
just died as it was coincidentally scheduled overnight Saturday as part
of their Oscar-winning movies (John Williams won best adapted score, his
first Oscar, and some of the music for Isaac Stern to play on violin was
written new for the movie). The last hour was not recorded.

Re: Daylight Saving Time schedule weirdness

<870496428.700500897.724884.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=178804&group=rec.arts.tv#178804

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Daylight Saving Time schedule weirdness
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 08:37:11 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 15:37 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> Did anyone else experience weirdness with schedules on Sunday when
> Daylight Saving Time began?
>
> On TCM, it's like the on screen listings made sense as I saw a movie
> scheduled to begin at 7 pm CDT, which they do every night, but movies
> were starting an hour later than the on screen guide showed. It made
> more sense than the satellite feed was delayed an hour and that the
> guide was what was intended.
>
> On the other hand, I'd recorded Fiddler on the Roof because Topol had
> just died as it was coincidentally scheduled overnight Saturday as part
> of their Oscar-winning movies (John Williams won best adapted score, his
> first Oscar, and some of the music for Isaac Stern to play on violin was
> written new for the movie). The last hour was not recorded.

That happens here as well, even though we don’t celebrate DSL.

Re: Daylight Saving Time schedule weirdness

<lc711i1iqn21sgqbjn6cu6clbs0qc8foqa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=178813&group=rec.arts.tv#178813

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 12:17:18 -0400
 by: shawn - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 16:17 UTC

On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 13:40:52 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>Did anyone else experience weirdness with schedules on Sunday when
>Daylight Saving Time began?
>
>On TCM, it's like the on screen listings made sense as I saw a movie
>scheduled to begin at 7 pm CDT, which they do every night, but movies
>were starting an hour later than the on screen guide showed. It made
>more sense than the satellite feed was delayed an hour and that the
>guide was what was intended.
>
>On the other hand, I'd recorded Fiddler on the Roof because Topol had
>just died as it was coincidentally scheduled overnight Saturday as part
>of their Oscar-winning movies (John Williams won best adapted score, his
>first Oscar, and some of the music for Isaac Stern to play on violin was
>written new for the movie). The last hour was not recorded.

Seems typical when there is a time change. With many systems involved
it's not surprising that some of them are out of sync. You would think
with everything getting connected to the Internet it wouldn't be that
hard to have all of the devices/systems to use NTP and keep the time
straight even when we have a time shift.

Re: Daylight Saving Time schedule weirdness

<tuq80a$dpl6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=178814&group=rec.arts.tv#178814

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 16:39:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 16:39 UTC

>Tue, 14 Mar 2023 13:40:52 -0000 (UTC), Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>Did anyone else experience weirdness with schedules on Sunday when
>>Daylight Saving Time began?

>>On TCM, it's like the on screen listings made sense as I saw a movie
>>scheduled to begin at 7 pm CDT, which they do every night, but movies
>>were starting an hour later than the on screen guide showed. It made
>>more sense than the satellite feed was delayed an hour and that the
>>guide was what was intended.

>>On the other hand, I'd recorded Fiddler on the Roof because Topol had
>>just died as it was coincidentally scheduled overnight Saturday as part
>>of their Oscar-winning movies (John Williams won best adapted score, his
>>first Oscar, and some of the music for Isaac Stern to play on violin was
>>written new for the movie). The last hour was not recorded.

>Seems typical when there is a time change. With many systems involved
>it's not surprising that some of them are out of sync. You would think
>with everything getting connected to the Internet it wouldn't be that
>hard to have all of the devices/systems to use NTP and keep the time
>straight even when we have a time shift.

The host should have its clock maintained by network time protocol but
scheduling itself has nothing to do with network time protocol. The scheduling
systems control a lot more than on-screen listings. They control the video
feeds themselves.

My guess is that the problem is the inability to specify the offset from
Greenwich when entering scheduling data.

I ran into this on my cell phone's calendar. I decided to put in
recurring entries for Daylight Saving Time begins and ends as the
calendar allows me to specify "yearly on the second Sunday of the month"
or "yearly on a specific date". I was trying to see if I could actually
specify a 5-minute period around 2 am. The calendar would not allow me
to specify the offset but it did tell me which offset it was using. I'd
make an entry and it would change the entry to the other offset in a
different five-minute period.

Re: Daylight Saving Time schedule weirdness

<super70s-BFECC3.15494014032023@reader01.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=178831&group=rec.arts.tv#178831

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 15:49:40 -0500
 by: super70s - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 20:49 UTC

In article <tuq80a$dpl6$1@dont-email.me>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
> >Tue, 14 Mar 2023 13:40:52 -0000 (UTC), Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
> >>Did anyone else experience weirdness with schedules on Sunday when
> >>Daylight Saving Time began?
>
> >>On TCM, it's like the on screen listings made sense as I saw a movie
> >>scheduled to begin at 7 pm CDT, which they do every night, but movies
> >>were starting an hour later than the on screen guide showed. It made
> >>more sense than the satellite feed was delayed an hour and that the
> >>guide was what was intended.
>
> >>On the other hand, I'd recorded Fiddler on the Roof because Topol had
> >>just died as it was coincidentally scheduled overnight Saturday as part
> >>of their Oscar-winning movies (John Williams won best adapted score, his
> >>first Oscar, and some of the music for Isaac Stern to play on violin was
> >>written new for the movie). The last hour was not recorded.
>
> >Seems typical when there is a time change. With many systems involved
> >it's not surprising that some of them are out of sync. You would think
> >with everything getting connected to the Internet it wouldn't be that
> >hard to have all of the devices/systems to use NTP and keep the time
> >straight even when we have a time shift.
>
> The host should have its clock maintained by network time protocol but
> scheduling itself has nothing to do with network time protocol. The scheduling
> systems control a lot more than on-screen listings. They control the video
> feeds themselves.
>
> My guess is that the problem is the inability to specify the offset from
> Greenwich when entering scheduling data.

In years past it would always take a few days for my provider's schedule
to update correctly, but they screwed up this time and did the change
perfectly.

However I noticed TCM was behind an hour right after the change, like
you noted. I was going to check out the creaky 1930 version of All Quiet
on the Western Front just to be reminded how unwatchable it is and they
had the previous movie playing instead.

The other channels (at least the ones I tried) seemed to have their shit
together, only TCM was off.

Re: Daylight Saving Time schedule weirdness

<aqo21i57bvtr7e0vrh5re7teiqi282qadh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=178906&group=rec.arts.tv#178906

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 23:20:01 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 06:20 UTC

On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 16:39:38 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>The host should have its clock maintained by network time protocol but
>scheduling itself has nothing to do with network time protocol. The scheduling
>systems control a lot more than on-screen listings. They control the video
>feeds themselves.
>
>My guess is that the problem is the inability to specify the offset from
>Greenwich when entering scheduling data.
>
>I ran into this on my cell phone's calendar. I decided to put in
>recurring entries for Daylight Saving Time begins and ends as the
>calendar allows me to specify "yearly on the second Sunday of the month"
>or "yearly on a specific date". I was trying to see if I could actually
>specify a 5-minute period around 2 am. The calendar would not allow me
>to specify the offset but it did tell me which offset it was using. I'd
>make an entry and it would change the entry to the other offset in a
>different five-minute period.

Years ago I heard one TV station got in trouble for starting the feed
of a major sports event 10 minutes early.

On inspection it turned out to be local talking heads for 5 minutes, a
commercial break and the anthem.....