From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: [OT] Another "Pretendian" unmasked?
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 11:52:10 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 15:52 UTC

It seems that the President of Memorial University in Newfoundland has
stepped down (temporarily so far) as a result of a scandal surrounding
her claimed indigenous heritage.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-memorial-university-president-steps-away-after-questions-raised-about/

While this is not the first such prominent Canadian to have questions
raised about his/her claimed indigenous heritage, it certainly helps
reinforce people's skepticism/cynicism about such claims.

Clearly, institutions have to stop taking people at their word when they
make such claims and indulge in Ronald Reagan's approach of "trust but
verify". Of course that wouldn't make fake claims of indigenous heritage
impossible since nefarious individuals could pay bribes to tribal
officials to fake the necessary documentation but it would at least make
it harder for the likes of Senator Warren and the President of Memorial
University to get unfair advantages in life.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Another "Pretendian" unmasked?

<muo11ih1t7jgmbvp2rpm2jagsulv8fcn88@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=178842&group=rec.arts.tv#178842

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] Another "Pretendian" unmasked?
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 14:19:03 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 21:19 UTC

On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 11:52:10 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>Clearly, institutions have to stop taking people at their word when they
>make such claims and indulge in Ronald Reagan's approach of "trust but
>verify". Of course that wouldn't make fake claims of indigenous heritage
>impossible since nefarious individuals could pay bribes to tribal
>officials to fake the necessary documentation but it would at least make
>it harder for the likes of Senator Warren and the President of Memorial
>University to get unfair advantages in life.

My understanding is that in Canada every person holding or applying
for a "Certificate of Indian Status" is required to indicate which
native tribe they are associated with and that they don't get it
without confirmation from the claimed band. I'm told that about the
ONLY time they knowingly enroll a known non-native person is when
he/she is the spouse of a registered native person. Given some of the
public fake claims one wonders how "iron-clad" the enforcement of the
rules actually is)

Of course there is a class called "Non-status Indians" which are those
biologically eligible who haven't registered but given the advantages
of being registered now as opposed to 20+ years ago this is an
increasingly small group

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: [OT] Another "Pretendian" unmasked?