From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-15 (Wednesday)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 06:16:27 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 13:16 UTC

Yestreday, I watched:

soaps: DOOL - Stefan and EJ confront each other, and supposedly reach a
"truce", but EJ is still after going after Stefan and is conspiring
with Li again (which means EJ has hit the bottom of the barrel!). As a
sidenote: Camila Banus has been putting on weight lately, and she's
starting to press her luck... Johnny makes a big show of an apology to
Tripp, and dummy Wendy falls for it, but I think it was all for show.
I didn't get to GH yesterday.

Gotham Knight (recorded) - Pilot, the series premiere.
Storyline-wise, I mostly didn't think this was bad. Yes, they
"scramble" Batman mythology as they please, taking some
well-established things, and some minor things, and combining them with
some things they've just made up out of whole cloth (e.g. the "lead"
character, an "adoptee" of Batman who is entirely original to this
series). And I don't like some of that - like, why is Harvey Dent in
here, but *not* as Two-Face (yet).
The Gist: Three street YOUTS, Duela "daughter of the Joker" and the
Row siblings, get hired to do a job in Wayne Tower, but they are really
just patsies being framed for Bruce Wayne's murder. Soon enough, the
frame-up expands to include Wayne's adopted son, Turner, who is framed
as the financier for the murders. The foursome have to escape police
custody before they are rubbed out and made permanent patsies.
Acting-wise, it's a lot sketchier. Going in, I expected Olivia Rose
Keegan, playing who they say is the Joker's daughter Duela, to be the
best thing going here, and she is, by a lot. Mischa Collins is fine as
Dent, and I think Tyler DiChiara is actually decent as Cullen Row. But
Fallon Smythe and Navia Robinson barely register in their roles, the
lead Oscar Morgan (who seems to be a "newbie") is weak as Turner, and I
couldn't figure out what Anna Lore was trying to do as the lead's
"bestie" - Lore's character is supposed to be Turner's sidekick, but
she's giving off a vaguely sinister "I'm actually in on the frame-up"
vibe, which I can't tell is deliberate, or just really the result of
bad directing/acting choices.
Anyway, the YOUTS now have to battle a city-wide conspiracy to clear
their names, so this going to take all season, if not longer!!
(Sidenote: There is about a 0% chance this show survives to season
#2 on the "new" C-Wub!)
This is interesting enough, and I like Keegan enough, that I'll be
sticking with this. We've certainly seen worse (far worse!!) from The
CW!

Secret Society of Lies (LMN) - Apparently this premiered on Lifetime on
Sunday, Feb. 19 - if it did, I absolutely don't remember it (or I
missed it!).
It's easy to see why - this was incredibly mediocre.
Worse, it was *cliched* prototypical Lifetime: plcuky gal goes up a
secret college frat whose sole purpose seems to be to stalk and rape(?)
nubile coeds. When people joke about Lifetime being "man-hating", they
are thinking about films like this one.
But it was basically lackluster and uninteresting, and ends exactly
like you'd expect it to.
In the cast, I only recognized Kristen Vaganos and Joel Berti - even
who played Vaganos's mother (Kate Schettler) was an actress I didn't
recognize - and she looks like she's barely worked since starting in
the biz c.2015!

Recorded for later: That Ark(!!), and GH.

What did you watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-15 (Wednesday)

<tv0nh7$1pd6s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179102&group=rec.arts.tv#179102

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-15 (Wednesday)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 20:41:29 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 03:41 UTC

On 3/16/2023 6:16 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> [...]
> Sunday, Feb. 19 - if it did, I absolutely don't remember it (or I missed
> it!).
>   It's easy to see why - this was incredibly mediocre.
>   Worse, it was *cliched* prototypical Lifetime: plcuky gal goes up a
> secret college frat whose sole purpose seems to be to stalk and rape(?)
> nubile coeds. When people joke about Lifetime being "man-hating", they
> are thinking about films like this one.
>   But it was basically lackluster and uninteresting, and ends exactly
> like you'd expect it to.
>   In the cast, I only recognized Kristen Vaganos and Joel Berti - even
> who played Vaganos's mother (Kate Schettler) was an actress I didn't
> recognize - and she looks like she's barely worked since starting in the
> biz c.2015!
>
> Recorded for later: That Ark(!!), and GH.

I had a thought about The SnArk. There have been a number of these
Young Adult SF shows with a complete lack of basic knowledge of reality,
let alone science. For example, Pandora. I wonder, are they all
created by the same group and/or using the same writers? Is there some
particular group that keeps putting out these brain-dead "science"
fiction shows aimed at really stupid young adults?

> What did you watch?

Thank you for asking!

SOME GIRL(S) ('Flix disc)

This is not the Jennifer Connelly film from the 80's. This is a 2013
art house independent movie. "On the eve of his wedding, a successful
writer travels across the country to meet up with ex-lovers in an
attempt to make amends for past relationship transgressions." Adam
Brody plays this successful writer and his character is an utter ass.
His unnamed character goes to visit five ex's and basically just pisses
most them off even more. The movie is based on a play and the
playwright wrote the script. The format of the movie is five acts each
being The Man and one of his ex's talking in a hotel room. Of note is
that I think Brody was the only male allowed on set. :D It was a
largely female production crew and producers so he had it coming.

My watching this points out an interesting effect of having a massive
queue of discs on Netflix. (Hey! I'm making progress! Its actually
down to under 250 discs now!) Sometimes by the time a movie arrives you
have no clue why you put in your queue in the first place. This was one
of those for me. I suspect I wanted it to watch the Dax Beast's spouse
beat up Adam Brody. :P Ian might like it, all the ex's are played by
attractive A-list actresses who seemed to enjoy smacking a true cad around.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-15 (Wednesday)

<1922029001.700749330.570934.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179115&group=rec.arts.tv#179115

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 06:01:28 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 13:01 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 3/16/2023 6:16 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> Yestreday, I watched:
>>

>> Recorded for later: That Ark(!!), and GH.
>>
> I had a thought about The SnArk. There have been a number of these
> Young Adult SF shows with a complete lack of basic knowledge of reality,
> let alone science. For example, Pandora. I wonder, are they all
> created by the same group and/or using the same writers? Is there some
> particular group that keeps putting out these brain-dead "science"
> fiction shows aimed at really stupid young adults?

There certainly is a hive of inbred mediocrity in the Berlanti superhero
shows. You would think when a show gets canceled because its writing was so
awful you’d take the opportunity to not work with that person again but
instead they move over to another show and destroy it.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-15 (Wednesday)