Why won't sharks eat lawyers? Professional courtesy.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part Deux

SubjectAuthor
* Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part DeuxDavid Johnston
+* Re: Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part DeuxBTR1701
|`* Re: Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part DeuxUbiquitous
| `* Re: Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part DeuxBTR1701
|  `* Re: Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part DeuxUbiquitous
|   `* Re: Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part DeuxBTR1701
|    `* Re: Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part DeuxUbiquitous
|     `* Re: Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part DeuxBTR1701
|      +- Re: Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part Deuxshawn
|      `- Re: Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part Deuxtrotsky
`- Re: Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part DeuxUbiquitous

1
Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part Deux

<tv2g5m$23s4g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179149&group=rec.arts.tv#179149

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part Deux
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 13:48:07 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 19:48 UTC

True Lies was a comedy, a spy movie parody. Its television incarnation,
not so much. They have, for example, gone to some trouble to justify
the housewife heroine's reincarnation into a spy by making her a
professor of linguistics who speaks forty languages and has some
familiarity with martial arts instead of just having her throw a firing
machine pistol down a flight of stairs killing all the bad guys in the
room below.

Instead they try to play things pretty straight, producing a lightweight
low realism spy series which is actually pretty close to the tone of The
Scarecrow and Mrs King, a show I always liked even though for the life
of me, I can't remember how and why Mrs King kept being hauled into
various spy missions. So far the kids, while there, have been kept
blessedly out of the plot although I can already predict the show's
failure mode if it lasts for more than one season.

For now however, it's a pleasant low effort viewing experience.

Re: Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part Deux

<atropos-19C010.13011717032023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179151&group=rec.arts.tv#179151

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 13:01:17 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 20:01 UTC

In article <tv2g5m$23s4g$1@dont-email.me>,
David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:

> True Lies was a comedy, a spy movie parody. Its television incarnation,
> not so much. They have, for example, gone to some trouble to justify
> the housewife heroine's reincarnation into a spy by making her a
> professor of linguistics who speaks forty languages and has some
> familiarity with martial arts instead of just having her throw a firing
> machine pistol down a flight of stairs killing all the bad guys in the
> room below.
>
> Instead they try to play things pretty straight, producing a lightweight
> low realism spy series which is actually pretty close to the tone of The
> Scarecrow and Mrs King, a show I always liked even though for the life
> of me, I can't remember how and why Mrs King kept being hauled into
> various spy missions. So far the kids, while there, have been kept
> blessedly out of the plot although I can already predict the show's
> failure mode if it lasts for more than one season.
>
> For now however, it's a pleasant low effort viewing experience.

(1) I can't stand the fat guy who plays the Tom Arnold character in this
show. Everything about him grates on me. Same as it did when he was on
CSI:HORATIO and BALLERS. He's a show killer for me.

(2) This show suffers from a ridiculous amount of scenes where the
characters explain things to each other that they'd already know. The
most recent episode started with the team on top of a parking garage,
donning their tac vests and checking their weapons, literally seconds
away from starting an op, when the above-mentioned fat guy stops
everyone and starts explaining to them what their mission is and how
they're going to carry it out.

WTF?

They've literally driven to the scene, geared up, and are seconds away
from starting the op and only now are they being told what they're
supposed to do, who the bad guy is, why he's wanted, and what the goal
of the mission is?

And this happens repeatedly in every episode. In one instance, they were
literally being briefed on their mission objective over the radio
*after* they'd been inserted into the situation.

There's suspension of disbelief and then there's outright absurdity.

Re: Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part Deux

<tv1pup$1vg31$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179194&group=rec.arts.tv#179194

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 09:29:01 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 13:29 UTC

davidjohnston29@yahoo.com wrote:

>True Lies was a comedy, a spy movie parody. Its television incarnation,
>not so much. They have, for example, gone to some trouble to justify
>the housewife heroine's reincarnation into a spy by making her a
>professor of linguistics who speaks forty languages and has some
>familiarity with martial arts instead of just having her throw a firing
>machine pistol down a flight of stairs killing all the bad guys in the
>room below.
>
>Instead they try to play things pretty straight, producing a lightweight
>low realism spy series which is actually pretty close to the tone of The
>Scarecrow and Mrs King, a show I always liked even though for the life
>of me, I can't remember how and why Mrs King kept being hauled into
>various spy missions. So far the kids, while there, have been kept
>blessedly out of the plot although I can already predict the show's
>failure mode if it lasts for more than one season.
>
>For now however, it's a pleasant low effort viewing experience.

Yeah, I wondered how they were going to nake a show out of this and
noticed the suddenly change in tone with new commercials featuring a
Captin & Tennill song, making it seem more like SCARECROW AND MRS KING.

>--

Oooh, you're going to trouble with Kerman!

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part Deux

<tv1pup$1vg32$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179195&group=rec.arts.tv#179195

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 09:29:02 -0400

atropos@mac.com wrote:

>(1) I can't stand the fat guy who plays the Tom Arnold character in this
>show. Everything about him grates on me. Same as it did when he was on
>CSI:HORATIO and BALLERS. He's a show killer for me.

I am pretty sure that _is_ Tom Arnold, not someone acting like him.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part Deux

<atropos-387862.10291518032023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179232&group=rec.arts.tv#179232

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 10:29:15 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 17:29 UTC

In article <tv1pup$1vg32$5@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> atropos@mac.com wrote:
>
> >(1) I can't stand the fat guy who plays the Tom Arnold character in this
> >show. Everything about him grates on me. Same as it did when he was on
> >CSI:HORATIO and BALLERS. He's a show killer for me.
>
> I am pretty sure that _is_ Tom Arnold, not someone acting like him.

Tom Arnold became black?

Re: Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part Deux

<4ZGdnRkrOYNxjIv5nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179252&group=rec.arts.tv#179252

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 15:32:52 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 19:32 UTC

atropos@mac.com wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> atropos@mac.com wrote:

>>> I can't stand the fat guy who plays the Tom Arnold character in this
>>> show. Everything about him grates on me. Same as it did when he was
>>> on CSI:HORATIO and BALLERS. He's a show killer for me.
>>
>> I am pretty sure that _is_ Tom Arnold, not someone acting like him.
>
> Tom Arnold became black?

What? No, the guy he punches out for calling him "old".

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part Deux

<msWcnaiMNf07qIv5nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179264&group=rec.arts.tv#179264

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 22:05:26 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 22:05 UTC

On Mar 18, 2023 at 12:32:52 PM PDT, "Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> atropos@mac.com wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>>> I am pretty sure that _is_ Tom Arnold, not someone acting like him.
>>
>> Tom Arnold became black?
>
> What? No, the guy he punches out for calling him "old".

I don't know what you're talking about.

Re: Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part Deux

<ZzGdnZ-qQtGBoIv5nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179270&group=rec.arts.tv#179270

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 18:37:09 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 22:37 UTC

https://youtu.be/mL4FP7K7dSs?t=101

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part Deux

<atropos-21C1C0.18121718032023@ec2-18-102-80-69.eu-south-1.compute.amazonaws.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179284&group=rec.arts.tv#179284

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 18:12:17 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 19 Mar 2023 01:12 UTC

In article <ZzGdnZ-qQtGBoIv5nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>,
Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> atropos@mac.com wrote:

> >> What? No, the guy he punches out for calling him "old".
> >
> > I don't know what you're talking about.
>
> https://youtu.be/mL4FP7K7dSs?t=101

Nope, that's not the fat black guy I'm talking about.

Re: Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part Deux

<6bpc1ihnofofgkedffu7u4ndcsovlsd1u5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179292&group=rec.arts.tv#179292

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 21:29:35 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 19 Mar 2023 01:29 UTC

On Sat, 18 Mar 2023 18:12:17 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>In article <ZzGdnZ-qQtGBoIv5nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>,
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> atropos@mac.com wrote:

>> > I don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>> https://youtu.be/mL4FP7K7dSs?t=101
>
>Nope, that's not the fat black guy I'm talking about.

I don't mind the guy that much so long as he's not the center of the
show.
https://youtu.be/mL4FP7K7dSs?t=91

Re: Trues Lies TV or The Scarecrow And Mrs King Part Deux

<uOzRL.1592957$iU59.1168353@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179308&group=rec.arts.tv#179308

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 03:34:33 -0500
 by: trotsky - Sun, 19 Mar 2023 08:34 UTC

On 3/18/23 8:12 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <ZzGdnZ-qQtGBoIv5nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>,
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> atropos@mac.com wrote:

>>> I don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>> https://youtu.be/mL4FP7K7dSs?t=101
>
> Nope, that's not the fat black guy I'm talking about.

Holy fuck that's interesting.